PDA

View Full Version : Mounting your Scangauge

skyblueads
12-11-09, 09:23 PM
I've had my Scangauge for months, with no permanent way to mount it. Marty was meant to send me a pod but I know he's been very busy with work and seems to have disappeared from the boards these days. I want to get it mounted in the car so it looks OE. Any ideas?

Dan1971
12-11-09, 09:40 PM
I've had my Scangauge for months, with no permanent way to mount it. Marty was meant to send me a pod but I know he's been very busy with work and seems to have disappeared from the boards these days. I want to get it mounted in the car so it looks OE. Any ideas?

He's got his ZR express for sale over on XP .... Try contacting him about it .... :fishing:

stamford
12-11-09, 09:41 PM
With that title Frankie Howerd sprang to mind :D

Where you fit it will depend on the amount of work you want to give yourself. Obvious place is the centre console, perhaps in the lower cubby hole or integrate it into the upper section?

skyblueads
12-11-09, 09:47 PM
I thought about between the hazard switch and rear-screen demister, but I don't think there's enough room.

Zippy Saloon
13-11-09, 03:42 AM
Is the cable long enough to mount it to a bracket attached to interior light?

talkingcars
13-11-09, 05:43 AM
Mine sits on top of the steering column.

I am considering mounting it on the centre air vents but I've just got a Pure Highway DAB radio which may go there.

However mine is a mk1 and I'm not sure about mk2 dashes.

SheppeyTrio
13-11-09, 07:08 AM
I've mounted mine where the seat warmer buttons spaces are!! Not a bad place to put it but it needs to tilt up a little to see it clearly!!

carmadbaker
13-11-09, 04:48 PM
done the same as above! works a treat :) check out my old threads

SheppeyTrio
13-11-09, 07:50 PM
done the same as above! works a treat :) check out my old threads

Did you get it to tilt upwards 2 make it easier 2 read?

p_b82
13-11-09, 10:47 PM
i just bought a really cheap mp3 holder and sit it on the cntre vents using that.... i tuck it out the way when not driving so it is not on show.

I might live in a nicer area, but bristol still has one of the worst car crime records in the south west, a few years back my pug 205 was broken ito, i went to the police to get a crime reference number, and that told be outright... " we dont send people round to investigate car crime, as we have too much of it, here have a reference number and a victims of crime booklet"

I got 3 of them in 18months!

skyblueads
17-11-09, 11:02 AM
Well I've tried getting in touch with Marty everyway I know how so he's obviously not going to bother coming back to me. I still can't find anywhere to put the bloody thing. I just want it to look OE, and not stuck on! Hmm. Time to get my thinking cap on, either that or eBay it.

Jay-ZS+
17-11-09, 04:11 PM
Get the fiberglass out ;) Id give it ago but dont have a scanguage, If anyone had one of martys ones could make a mould from that

skyblueads
17-11-09, 04:18 PM
I can't do owt like that, butI'd be grateful if you could fella!

Jay-ZS+
17-11-09, 04:28 PM
lol I would do mate but dont really have the space or tools as gone back to uni now and all my stuff is back in my parents garage,

skyblueads
17-11-09, 04:29 PM
Tut. Well you're bloomin' useless, aren't you!

Jay-ZS+
17-11-09, 04:31 PM
ha ha ha Why not give it ago mate it really aint that tricky, cover it in material to match the seats and you can hide any mistakes

skyblueads
17-11-09, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I suppose I could try it. I'll give it some thought.

Zippy Saloon
17-11-09, 05:34 PM
How about it fitting in the space where the ashtray / lighter is now (where I put the drinks holder in mine - thread on zscentral).

If I knew sizes of scangauge I could have a look.

skyblueads
17-11-09, 05:35 PM
Yeah, that was my only other thought of where to put it. I think I'll have a good poke about on Thursday and see if there's anything I can do.

Jay-ZS+
17-11-09, 05:38 PM
wont fit in the drivers cubby hole? could mount it in there somehow? Could always be hiden away it times then too

skyblueads
17-11-09, 05:46 PM
I use that though, and I can't see it when I'm driving.

Zippy Saloon
17-11-09, 05:48 PM
Just had a look at scangauge site and only just realised that the unit isn't all that deep - guessing about 15 - 20mm? Possible that it could be mounted on a modded ashtray lid, could then be simply swapped over when not wanted etc (assuming ashtray on MkII dash is pretty much the same design as the MkI)

skyblueads
17-11-09, 05:52 PM
I have a mkI centre console. That's a good shout though mate. Cheers!

Zippy Saloon
17-11-09, 05:59 PM
I have a mkI centre console. That's a good shout though mate. Cheers!No probs - thinking that as the ashtray simply pulls out you could mod a spare one leaving a standard one to go back in. Think the front of a MkI one is about 10mm ish so should be able to make it flush.

talkingcars
17-11-09, 08:25 PM
Don't forget the plug, it either comes out the right side or the back.

IIRC Martys fitted on the big airvent on the top of the MK1 dash.

Personally I want mine in a place where it is easy to look at when driving so places like the ashtry and the cubby hole are no good.

skyblueads
17-11-09, 09:12 PM
Yeah, Marty did a mkII version for my dash but I never got it. I'm in the same boat as you Talkingcars, it's not all that clear tucked away down there.

Zippy Saloon
18-11-09, 06:30 PM
Does the scangauge have a clock? Just thinking it may be possible to fit it where clock is now.

Nice to see your zed in MGE this month btw

skyblueads
18-11-09, 06:43 PM
Thanks mate. :beer2:

It's too wide for the clock space I think as the switchgear either side is too big. My other option is to remove the hazard switch and the clock and put it there, I have a mkII dash top so have a spare hazard switch, if I could wire the mkI switch into the mkII switch that'd work.

talkingcars
18-11-09, 06:52 PM
Thanks mate. :beer2:

It's too wide for the clock space I think as the switchgear either side is too big. My other option is to remove the hazard switch and the clock and put it there, I have a mkII dash top so have a spare hazard switch, if I could wire the mkI switch into the mkII switch that'd work.

That shouldn't be too hard, you just need to match up the wires.

skyblueads
18-11-09, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I could shift it over I spose. Hmm. Need to take out the centre console and have a good look I guess!