PDA

View Full Version : Got a job?? hmmmm

Jay-ZS+
27-11-09, 04:23 PM
Well a while ago I applied for a job at Ikea, so didnt hear anything for ages then out the blue had a call and a phone interview, was later asked to come in for a proper interview on tues or weds cant remember, the night the forza was happening at 8. No problem I thought interview at 5 will have plenty of time.

So got there and after a quick presentation about the place and history etc...
Had to do a presention of my own about one of their products and how they can increase sales and so on, Then a 1 to 1 interview, sitting around whilst they interview the other 5 people applying for the job. Then finally a written assesment where we had to read a case study and write a few pages of what we would have done.

Got a call to go for a work shadow at 5, I assumed in the evening, turns out it was ment to be this morning. Then will have a weekend of inductions before I see a contract.

Wouldnt mind if it was for a decent job, would be stacking shelves for £6 poxy quid an hour. Is it really worth getting up at 4 in the morning on sat and sunday for £6ph to do 8hrs a week????

Think I may just never show my face again :ninja:

Bobdope2002
27-11-09, 04:25 PM
Well a while ago I applied for a job at Ikea, so didnt hear anything for ages then out the blue had a call and a phone interview, was later asked to come in for a proper interview on tues or weds cant remember, the night the forza was happening at 8. No problem I thought interview at 5 will have plenty of time.

Had to do a presention of my own about one of their products and how they can increase sales and so on, Then a 1 to 1 interview, sitting around whilst they interview the other 5 people applying for the job. Then finally a written assesment where we had to read a case study and write a few pages of what we would have done.

Got a call to go for a work shadow at 5, I assumed in the evening, turns out it was ment to be this morning. Then will have a weekend of inductions before I see a contract.

Wouldnt mind if it was for a decent job, would be stacking shelves for £6 poxy quid an hour. Is it really worth getting up at 4 in the morning on sat and sunday for £6ph to do 8hrs a week????

IMO beggars cant be choosers id be a bit miffed about gettin up at 4am for that but hey

Jay-ZS+
27-11-09, 04:28 PM
IMO beggars cant be choosers id be a bit miffed about gettin up at 4am for that but hey

Well yer in this current market feel bad turning a job down the other option I have is I finish uni for xmas on the 18th go back home and get a job in the workshop I worked at before uni for £10 cash in hand??? Or just keep looking.

Bobdope2002
27-11-09, 04:31 PM
Well yer in this current market feel bad turning a job down the other option I have is I finish uni for xmas on the 18th go back home and get a job in the workshop I worked at before uni for £10 cash in hand??? Or just keep looking.

keep looking mate

stamford
27-11-09, 04:46 PM
If that is all they are paying and you have to do all of those assessments then I would have told them where to stick it! I did the same many years ago after going for an engineering job at a well known firm. I had to do all of these tests for a whole morning only to be told that it did not mean I was getting an interview! I said thanks for wasting my time, if that's how you treat future employees then I don't want to work for you.

Jay-ZS+
27-11-09, 04:58 PM
Yer well I nearly walked out half way throught the interview when I realised I was going to miss the Forza race! lol

petet16
27-11-09, 05:26 PM
I think the problem is that they have a large pool of people to chose from, so they make you jump through as many hoops as they like, it seems very extreme for a p/t job paying £6.00 per hr, are you sure they weren't interviewing you for Western Europe chief exec :D

Supercharged_Z
27-11-09, 06:07 PM

jay

do you do sales?

what experience do you have?

Jay-ZS+
27-11-09, 06:10 PM
jay

do you do sales?

what experience do you have?

Nothing in retail, Only got 4years at various Bars and the 3yrs furniture design.
Think Im going to just keep looking for something else

Supercharged_Z
27-11-09, 06:21 PM
get into sales!!! its not the easyest but i am in sales

when i was 18 i was in the car industry, by 19 i was selling cars 10k basic, 30k a year, 4 months later i left, then got into capital equipment, diggers etc, and after beind made reduadant at jcb im not at another dealer/brand on over 30k basic and 45-50k a year.

i blaged where i am, and where i am is good!!!! make a statment in life tis what i did and it all came to good in the end

edit.

i ad, i get a company car, a fuel car for personal and work, a company credit car with a 2k limit, a phone and laptop with mobile internet.

its a great industry!!

Jay-ZS+
27-11-09, 06:29 PM
Well im only after something pt to just cover the petrol and food costs whilst at uni,

talkingcars
27-11-09, 07:04 PM
If you are starting at 5am and only doing 8 hours you'll be finished by lunchtime! With shelf stacking you don't need to be wide awake so being parttime you could get away with less sleep than normal, catch a few winks in the afternoon and still be able to enjoy your evening.

get into sales!!! its not the easyest but i am in sales

when i was 18 i was in the car industry, by 19 i was selling cars 10k basic, 30k a year, 4 months later i left, then got into capital equipment, diggers etc, and after beind made reduadant at jcb im not at another dealer/brand on over 30k basic and 45-50k a year.

i blaged where i am, and where i am is good!!!! make a statment in life tis what i did and it all came to good in the end

edit.

i ad, i get a company car, a fuel car for personal and work, a company credit car with a 2k limit, a phone and laptop with mobile internet.

its a great industry!!

It's great until you work all day, get a call into the managers office at 5 to 5 and by 5pm find yourself walking to the bus stop unable to call your wife because they took back the phone. Been there, done that, the higher you are, the harder you fall. The last sales job I had I was generating masses of low cost high profit business, getting praised highly by CEO's of far eastern partnership companies etc but was the first to go when the going got tough.

grimmy
27-11-09, 08:47 PM
Tell them to jog on mate all that hassle to sell flat pack crap for 6 quid an hour and all that jumping through hoops would'nt be me mate, go to your local asda or tesco same money and no grief paid from the neck down.

Supercharged_Z
27-11-09, 09:09 PM
If you are starting at 5am and only doing 8 hours you'll be finished by lunchtime! With shelf stacking you don't need to be wide awake so being parttime you could get away with less sleep than normal, catch a few winks in the afternoon and still be able to enjoy your evening.

It's great until you work all day, get a call into the managers office at 5 to 5 and by 5pm find yourself walking to the bus stop unable to call your wife because they took back the phone. Been there, done that, the higher you are, the harder you fall. The last sales job I had I was generating masses of low cost high profit business, getting praised highly by CEO's of far eastern partnership companies etc but was the first to go when the going got tough.

it depends what you do Talking cars.

i had it tough when i was made redundant from a jcb dealer. but belvie you me i got back on my feet a few months later and my job has a somewhat easy life at the moment. i would never go back!!!

peterzs
28-11-09, 10:04 AM
If you want to pass a few minutes, go to the B&Q job site, they have an online job application and a test to see how you would fit in. You dont have to complete, and send off at the final stage but they do tell you the results of the test.

I failed, on a couple of the sections, so thats me finished!!

:tease::tease::mml::mml::mml: