PDA

View Full Version : News on a new ZS from Wikipedia...???

MGZS55
08-07-07, 09:14 PM
Apparently there is to be a new ZS constructed in 2008 that is "identicle" to the latest model. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Script from Wikipedia

The MG 5 is a current production car which will be sold as an MG and built by the Chinese Nanjing Automobile Group. It is identically to the MG ZS, which was produced by predecessor organisation MG Rover until that firm went bankrupt in April 2005. It is due for launch in 2008, though the Chinese newspapers reported that NAC has confirmed whether the car will be built in Longbridge Britain or China. It is designed to compete against the likes of the Ford Focus and Volkswagen Golf, and may also be sold as an Austin.

Link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_5

sduk
08-07-07, 09:18 PM
thats good news! we can get all the new owners to sign up on here lol. would love to see a pic!

MGZS55
08-07-07, 09:37 PM
In addition to the TF, Nanjing also showed off its MG 7 and MG 5 models (below), also based on former British designs. I liked the looks of the MG 5 (pictured), which is powered by a 2.0-liter diesel. The model draped on the sporty blue machine wasn't too bad, either.

http://imgup-lb.automotive.com:8080/files/6336149.w315.jpg

Link
http://blogs.motortrend.com/6205537/china/mg-rover-roewe-chinese-do-the-british-thing/index.html

cjsale
08-07-07, 09:38 PM
This pic was shown at a show in China...
http://cimg2.163.com/photo/0008/2007-04-20/3CH4QNAD060K0008.jpg

sduk
08-07-07, 09:41 PM
v v nice! wonder if theywill do a model with the extreme spoiler?

paul-zs180
08-07-07, 10:14 PM
im suprised they are going into production. i though Honda took back all of the tooling when Longbridge shut, they still own the intelectual rights to the design

cjsale
08-07-07, 10:32 PM
im suprised they are going into production. i though Honda took back all of the tooling when Longbridge shut, they still own the intelectual rights to the design

May only be a saloon as that was a Rover bodyshell, well the back was anyway....

arwilson80
08-07-07, 10:41 PM
Stunning!!! Out of all the models i'd say the Mk2 ZS is my favourite (well bar the SV!!!)

Pity about the 'pea-shooter' exhaust and silly cover for it though.... :)

sduk
08-07-07, 10:52 PM
cover is ok but a small oval zaust end would have made it alot nicer :)

arwilson80
08-07-07, 11:12 PM
110% agree.

sduk
08-07-07, 11:15 PM
the OE zaust on the new astra and corsa is about a 3" oval. looks well smart. dont see why MG couldnt have done the same?

paul-zs180
09-07-07, 06:08 AM
was looking at a Corsa VXR the other day, the trianguar centre exit 'exhaust' is actually a pices of trim incorporated into the bumper. if you look closer you will see a pee-shooter sat in there with fresh air around it!

sduk
09-07-07, 07:18 AM
lol similar to the new Honda Civic which has a dummy triangle to the other side aswell.

still looks good tho :)

Mat C
09-07-07, 07:34 AM
the OE zaust on the new astra and corsa is about a 3" oval. looks well smart. dont see why MG couldnt have done the same?

Maybe because they actualy took the effort to design a new car rather than just pedalling out a 17 year old design ?!

Really though, if they do want to be taken seriously then they do ned to be making a fresh, from the ground up car.

KevG
09-07-07, 09:57 AM
....NAC MG has high expectations for its Longbridge, UK plant - they hope to produce 15,000 cars per year at the plant, and then go on for British sales of 50,000 cars within the first two years of operation. Longbridge will be primarily producing the MGTF’s before shifting into production of MG7 and the MG3 range of cars - no word on the MG5 yet though. According to the stats we found, Nanjing MG UK has 140 workers on staff, of which 115 are engineers and line workers, MG are also looking for a further 250 workers for the time being. Will former MG-Rover staff be sending in their resumes? Once production of the MG7 and MG3 begins, Nanjing MG expects it will need to hire a further 800 workers to cope with demand.
Furthermore, by 2009 according to the sources we have to hand, Nanjing will have created a new sports car by 2009, some news sites are saying it will be a new two seater sports coupe i.e. a new MGTF, others are just saying a new sports car, what ever it will be China Car Times is sure that fresh designs will be welcomed by the MG + Rover communities.

I dont think the MGZS / MG5 will be in production here anytime soon, anyway Honda own the IPR's for this car, but NACMG have been in talks to use this in China only.

arwilson80
09-07-07, 10:01 AM
I dont think the MGZS / MG5 will be in production here anytime soon, anyway Honda own the IPR's for this car, but NACMG have been in talks to use this in China only.

Couldn't someone bring back a few in containers.... I wonder if this could be a new business op? :sneaky: :) I guess there'd be a few minor changes and parts would be a problem though. :(

KevG
09-07-07, 10:59 AM
Problem is though, the ZS / 5 will have to go through type approval in order to be a vaible car in Europe anyway since things like NCAP etc also it will have to be re-designed to be able to pass such tests, at the moment I think it is a 2 star NCAP rating or similair.