PDA

View Full Version : Who's owned both mk1 and mk2 180-likes and dislikes?

stamford
30-11-09, 12:43 PM
As title, who has owned both versions and what are your opinions on them. Give details on what you liked and disliked on each model and why.

Obviously this also refers to any engine type or size but on a like for like basis would be best when comparing.

If gone from mk1 to mk2 what have you done to improve it? as we all know about 'project drive'.

Maxfly
30-11-09, 02:18 PM
Not owned both, but driven a mk1 120 when i was shopping for my old zr. So with regards to build quality, the 'feel' of the interior...persoanlly i like the touch of the mk2 plastics better, the buttons are easier to remove without breaking bits off and looks wise i much prefer the style of the newer dash. I know it's the same basic architecture but redoing the bits they did aesthetically does look a lot better imo. Exterior, get some underseal on the fuel tank, a quick cheap job even for a garage to do. The rest of the underneath of mine is pretty rust free, nowhere seemed to rust any worse than nk1's underside. Less soundproofing?? It doesn't bother me as they are not exactly loud cars inside anyway:)

R8NMG
30-11-09, 02:38 PM
I have previously owned a mk1 120+ hatch which I bought new in 2002 and moved onto a 2004 mk2 180 saloon when it was 11 months old.

The look of the mk2 is just like a beast. The stance is amazing due to the bodykit and now it is especially rare. The very first thing I noticed in the mk2 that was missing was the lining in the glovebox. This was followed up by why there was dirt up the fuel filler neck until realising the rear arch lining is missing from mk2.

The mk2 interior does give a much fresher look than the dull mk1. Not really taken much notice of the material used on the dash, plastic is plastic to me but having said that the mk2 dash isn't that bad. The interior noise is significantly noisier in the mk2.

Maxfly
30-11-09, 02:46 PM
Forgot about the arch liner mentioned above, got mine for nowt from a scrap 400 and am checking scrapyards for a lined glovebox that will match the rest of my dash:)

(Scrappies will give most of what you need to upgrade mk2's for little wonga)

vinny1979
30-11-09, 04:10 PM
lined glovebox?#

think ross did all mine tbh

Maxfly
30-11-09, 04:18 PM
older zeds and 400 have a suedey lining inside the glovebox:)

Ritchy
30-11-09, 04:21 PM
couple of things to add to my list, glocebox and arch liners

Dan1971
30-11-09, 04:23 PM
Well .... As you know, I started off with a Mk2 that sheppeyduo now owns.

I thought the exterior looks were strong,bold and menacing. I far prefer it to a standard Mk1. My Mk1 is changing. 18's going on soon and with the badging the way it is, it's really growing on me. I prefer the front on the Mk2 by a long way. I'd rather have the boot of the Mk1 though ... the Mk2 boot looking a little bolted on .... bit like a Ford Orion. The Mk2's flared arches and nice standard alloys, coupled with a huge boot made it a great practical car for me.

The interior, in comparison to my current Mk1 felt bigger and roomier. I didn't suffer any rattles in the Mk2 nor do I now in the Mk1. The climate worked well, and after the speaker and dynamat upgrades, the acoustics inside the Mk2 were spot on. My Mk1 is fine inside. Nothing special ... but good enough.

Nothing really between it performance-wise. I never checked the vis motors on my Mk2. It had a pipercross induction kit on it when I got it. I found it quick, but I reckon my Mk1 is faster. That may ofcourse be that the induction is set up better, and I know that my vis motors are working correctly. Now with the decat aswell ... It's brutally quick. They both handle well, but the Mk1 feels just that little bit smaller and so feels likely to respond well to the corners, but I never felt that the Mk2 wouldn't.

I'll be honest, I don't think my Mk1 was built any better than my Mk2. They both polish up really well, but both sound like tin cans being banged together twhen you close a door.

Given the choice, I'd rather have a Mk2 just for the looks of the front end and more up to date interior.

Any specific questions mate ?

lewerty
30-11-09, 04:31 PM
owned a mk1 180 from new, and now got a mk2 with nearly the same mods, prefer the style and interior of the mk2, both were good cars but would choose the mk2 coz not many about and u always get ppl looking

grimmy
30-11-09, 04:45 PM
I had a MK1 120 and now have my mk2 180 really i would not have changed anything altough i prefer the mk2 look the only thing i miss from my mk1 is the colour (trophy blue) and if i had the money i would strip the 180 and paint it that colour.

Southside_ZS
30-11-09, 06:19 PM
Not 180's but i've owned both mk1 and mk2 120's Prefer the build quality of the mk1 plus no dodgy BCU's to worry about. But the mk1 dash is very dated especially the "after thought" passenger airbag cover just stuck to the dash

Also i hate the electric window switches on both mk1 and 2. They look like something out the 80's

Mk2 looks ugly as hell without the kit. Also shame they ditched the monaco seats from the mk1 in favour of Axis. Imo they should of replaced matrix for axis and kept monaco's

Mk2 dash vents are terrible quality. and push button switches arn't much better although climate control is a nice modern touch.

The fact my mk2 came from the factory with a tape player is a joke. who had tapes in 2005?

If the mk2 was built aswell as the mk1 it would win hands down but its not. Theres good and bad things about both to be honest

stamford
30-11-09, 09:40 PM
Some interesting points in there and all very useful when looking to make a change from mk1 to mk2 whatever the engine size.

I never realised the glovebox was felt lined, my 52 plate is just plastic.

Ritchy
30-11-09, 10:22 PM
im gonna keep an eye out for a glovebox down the scrappies next time im down there, think as said its the colur need to look at, zs is pretty dark

Maxfly
30-11-09, 11:27 PM
hmm, wonder when they were de-felted then?? There is loads of them out of scrappies but as said they are normally too light in colour unfortunately:(

stamford
01-12-09, 07:35 AM
Can't say i'm that bothered about a felt lined glovebox, it's not as if I stroke it when i'm driving ;)

Dan1971
01-12-09, 08:22 AM
Can't say i'm that bothered about a felt lined glovebox, it's not as if I stroke it when i'm driving ;)

Glad I'm not the only one ....

R8NMG
01-12-09, 08:43 AM

It's not about the feel of the thing but objects you put in it that could slide around in the glovebox. It is a very smooth slippery plastic.

stamford
01-12-09, 08:57 AM
I must admit I only keep wet wipes, utility knife and forum flyers in it!

DeMoNPauL
01-12-09, 09:27 AM
Same as above really. Mk1 felt better built and was more of a solid car all round. Mk2's do feel cheapish but the looks are a winner.

stamford
01-12-09, 09:32 AM
Agreed, the mk2's looks are spot on and well executed. Just a pity they had to cut corners on the build. The only part of the mk2 I have trouble warming to is the rear end, too vast and reminds me of a smoothed boot as per Corsas and the like.

R8NMG
01-12-09, 11:33 AM
The only part of the mk2 I have trouble warming to is the rear end, too vast and reminds me of a smoothed boot as per Corsas and the like.

The smooth boot does look abit big and bare but it does make the car more modern by having the number plate on the bumber rather than on the boot. Alot of newer cars have moved the number plate to the bumper now.

The mk1 did look good in its day but it is now so 2000 with the twin headlights, chicken wire mesh and number plate on boot. Even a 5 year old mk2 can still keep up with the looks of a 2009 car.

stamford
01-12-09, 12:47 PM
I would say that alone would not deter me from having one :D

Maxxed_Ross
01-12-09, 02:35 PM
I've not owned both, but I have driven both

To be honest I don't think Project Drive had that much of an impact. Most of the stuff removed as mentioned can be replaced easily enough.

As said the main part to look out for is an arch liner... mainly because it stops the fuel cap filling up with crap through the drain hole - you'd be amazed how much dirt can make it through a tiny hole!

Other than that the mk2 still suffers saggy bumper the same as the mk1. I think there's more space behind the front bumper, which makes fitting an induction kit or inner wing feed a bit easier - plus you can cut out the dummy vents next to the fog lights for a CAF without anyone knowing!

For me the updated dash did it the world of good. It just looks fresher and the digital climate control is a very handy feature that I miss not having now on the Impreza (that just has semi-automatic control!)

lined glovebox?

think ross did all mine tbh

yeah yours has most of the important stuff done already apart from the furry glove box!

I did attempt to fit the under-dash sound proofing but the mk2 dash is totally different underneath, so it didn't fit very well and was binned