PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Car!!!

stevelou5
01-12-09, 07:08 AM
Woke up this morning to find an ice cube sitting on the drive aka MY CAR!!!

Never seen the car as frozen before. had to use hot water to get into it, frozen screen on the inside, then as I was driving my passenger front door came open!! must have opened it slightly when I was trying all me doors to get in :smile2:

then was driving along the road following a bus, when through a puddle, the bus pulled in so I slowed down then when I tried top pull away I couldn't get any traction had to try pull away in third!!!!

What a morning :icecream::icecream::icecream:

Dan1971
01-12-09, 07:22 AM
Yep winter's here pal !!!!

:santa:

stamford
01-12-09, 07:30 AM
Yes it was a bit chilly down here too, display showed 1deg. Took a while for the Disco to warm up but was nice and toasty :D

DeMoNPauL
01-12-09, 07:32 AM
Hard frost in Sunderland too.

peterzs
01-12-09, 07:53 AM
Sunny Bournemouth, looks very cold and frosty, think another cup of coffee required.

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Dan1971
01-12-09, 07:59 AM
Kids to school in the Mrs' BMW. Safely safely on the way. On the way home ....traction off, rear wheel drive ..... :happy:

stamford
01-12-09, 08:00 AM
Kids to school in the Mrs' BMW. Safely safely on the way. On the way home ....traction off, rear wheel drive ..... :happy:

I think one kid was left to drive back! :laugh:

KevG
01-12-09, 08:01 AM
Hard frost in East Kilbride too, my wee astras locks were frozen:angry:

Tony10
01-12-09, 08:02 AM
Up here in the north was very cold frst snow on the hills as well!

arwilson80
01-12-09, 08:55 AM
5oC here. Was Down around 0oC yesterday though.

Southside_ZS
01-12-09, 04:21 PM
You used hot water to defrost your car?! :thumbsdown: Suprised you've got any glass left.

Phate
01-12-09, 04:30 PM
Aye was iced over here this morning tho. Maestro started first time though :D

Bobdope2002
01-12-09, 04:32 PM
and here car was fozen over time to put it in the garage i think

grimmy
01-12-09, 04:53 PM
Outside temp was reading -4 when i got to work this morning, no probs with frozen car though as it was locked up in it's nice warm dry lock up all evening.

Stephen
01-12-09, 06:11 PM
Had frost here too. also had water pipes bursting and a landslide on the strathaven road.

Poor ZS is stuck outside and the Montego is in the garage... think i need to get them both snuggeled up!!!

will-w
01-12-09, 06:14 PM
Remembered at 8 this morning when I went to go home from work that I've got ultra weak antifreeze in the car at the moment... Guess what I'll be changing tomorrow!?!

talkingcars
01-12-09, 06:24 PM
Don't use hot water! Quickest way to crack the screen!

I normally run water out of the hot tap before it runs hot so it's a room temp but if you don't get it off the screen quick enough it refreezes worse than before.

My screen was frozen on the inside this morning, I guess we've had so much rain recently the air is really damp.

I didn't have a chance to enjoy the cool air in the car but the forklift had so much power first thing this morning.

grimmy
01-12-09, 06:26 PM
Don't use hot water! Quickest way to crack the screen!

I normally run water out of the hot tap before it runs hot so it's a room temp but if you don't get it off the screen quick enough it refreezes worse than before.

My screen was frozen on the inside this morning, I guess we've had so much rain recently the air is really damp.

I didn't have a chance to enjoy the cool air in the car but the forklift had so much power first thing this morning.

He says he used hot water to get into it so guessing he never used it on the windows

Ritchy
01-12-09, 07:38 PM
well yesterday my locks where so frozen neither the fob or the key would open the door, so 2 kettles of hot water later managed to get the door unlocked, so when i got to work got loads of metafluxteflon spray up into it, this morning, even colder, in no problem, started my car, as its boxed in by the pickup, went upstairs quick hit n miss, wash up, brush teeth, back outdoors, wipers on frost away, move pickup go:P

stamford
01-12-09, 09:17 PM
I hit the Disco's demist button, everything lit up and on full power! Left it running for 15 mins, screen cleared but took a while to fully warm up, typical diesel! Doors were okay, fob has a two button entry, once for drivers door, twice for all doors.

If we get a repeat of last years weather I have no excuses for not getting to work now!

talkingcars
01-12-09, 09:24 PM
He says he used hot water to get into it so guessing he never used it on the windows

Maybe but it is best to use warm and not boiling water on doors etc as well, hot water freeze quicker than cool as the molicules are further apart so cool quicker, logic would say otherwise but it is so.

grimmy
01-12-09, 10:11 PM
Maybe but it is best to use warm and not boiling water on doors etc as well, hot water freeze quicker than cool as the molicules are further apart so cool quicker, logic would say otherwise but it is so.
He never said boiling either :p

talkingcars
02-12-09, 06:12 AM
He never said boiling either :p

But I did!

stevelou5
02-12-09, 06:53 AM
Yeah people i used hot water just from the tap and don't worry never put any on my windows. I just used it down the crease of the door, and on my lock and handle as they were solid!!!

but its raining today so no need to defrost!!!

Jem
02-12-09, 02:06 PM
I miss a petrol car in the frosty mornings,Im the only one round here who puts a sheet over the windscreen so no need to worry about de-icer i just start the car leave for 5-10minutes then the rest of the car is free of ice,But it wouldn't matter how long i leave the car running it will never get warm untill it gets driven for about 10minutes.

Ritchy
02-12-09, 06:46 PM
just as long as ye mind to take the sheet off lol

Jem
03-12-09, 06:51 AM
Yea but its the blanket over the engine you have to remember lolB ut i only do it when its really cold.

stevelou5
03-12-09, 07:01 AM
Yeah I could do with an invention that would heat the car up and get the engine warm before I got in........think its called the wife!!!!! he he he. should get her up early to heat it up :-)

Smokie
03-12-09, 08:33 AM
wife has a ford galaxy (4 kids 7 seater required) 1.9tdi its got a quick clear screen and it is brilliant, also has a booster heater to help heat up the coolant and engine quicker. both very good

Jay-ZS+
03-12-09, 08:50 AM
Yea but its the blanket over the engine you have to remember lolB ut i only do it when its really cold.

My grandad used to leave a blanket over the engine on his classic cars and one day I remember he forgot to take it off!! oppps! wasnt too long before there was smoke out from under the engine bay! :w00t:

Jem
03-12-09, 11:09 AM
Yea i have also heard some people saying dont forget to take out the blanket just like joe blog,But i do use my brain what i have of one lol,If i do the blanket trick i put a stick it note on my front door saying blanket under bonnet,Just in case im half asleep and forgot.

talkingcars
03-12-09, 06:34 PM
Yeah I could do with an invention that would heat the car up and get the engine warm before I got in........think its called the wife!!!!! he he he. should get her up early to heat it up :-)

just one of many on eBay

http://www.centralimagestore.com/EBICM/EW-RS300.jpg

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=remote+starter

Ritchy
03-12-09, 08:33 PM
my grandad used to put a blanket over the engine too lol, and my dad said he forgot it was there and drove it and it went on fire:P

stevelou5
04-12-09, 06:58 AM
just one of many on eBay

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:group:

Jay-ZS+
04-12-09, 07:26 AM
just one of many on eBay

Id check with your insurance as had a mate fit one on his civic and it invalidated his insurance!

DeMoNPauL
04-12-09, 08:29 AM
Id check with your insurance as had a mate fit one on his civic and it invalidated his insurance!

No the wonder. From what I just read these things bypass the immobiliser.

arwilson80
04-12-09, 09:34 AM
Probably not a wise idea to have a 'Remote start' on a manual... especially if you forget to park out of gear! It is possible to have them factory fitted on automatics though.

Maxfly
04-12-09, 11:31 AM
Probably not a wise idea to have a 'Remote start' on a manual... especially if you forget to park out of gear! It is possible to have them factory fitted on automatics though.

+1 An i always leave mine in gear, sans handbrake on a flat surface as had a few times with rear brakes freezing/sticking on and ******* up shoes/pads or cable:)

stevelou5
04-12-09, 11:34 AM
hmmmm don't think I will be getting one now then..!!