PDA

View Full Version : tuned derv ZS update

Pages : [1] 2

p_b82
12-12-09, 10:22 PM
Figured i would pop an update on here for those that done lurk on the other forums that have a vague interest in the saga that is tuning my derv ZS...

had it on the dyno today and still had a dissapointing 160bhp and only 220lbs-ft of torque once more much later in the rev range than expected and still way to smokey and too hot over 4000 rpm.

have finally come to the decision (that i should have madea while back) to try a different set of injectors as the ones that i have got are just too extreme for the vp30 fuel pump we have in the ZS.

So currently I am in the process of selling my current injectors and going to be making a hybrid injector out of the Zs standard injector and SDI injector.

Basically i am going to hope to keep the delivery and break pressure of the newer injector with the larger flow nozzle from the SDI. this should mean good atomisation of fuel, but more of it than the standard injector would normally flow. so it will be the best i can get for power, fuel economy and torque delivery...

the SDI's on their own tail off quite a lot after the peak, where the normal injecotr has the peak, but then holds torque flat until there fuel drops off. wth the hybrid turbo i am hoping to up the fuel after the torque peak and keep it at the same flat level as the peak for as long as possible.

I am hoping that this will give me a good starting point to start over with this dammed car....

normal injectors can give about 220lbs-ft peak torque with a remap, and SDI's around 250... if i can get 250 and hold it flat, then i might still see 170-180bhp.....

oh and it seems to have blown the exhaust manifold gasket - probably the 27PSI boost it is currently peaking at:oops:.. and it looks like it has pissed the gearbox oil out again, as it dropped out of 5th a few times on the motorway this morning..

all in all an expensive experiment i tried.... here is hoping to better luck with my new plans.

peterzs
13-12-09, 08:55 AM
Sorry you didnt get the result you wanted.

When I got my derv didnt know much about the car or engine, I was hopeing it was a common rail BMW lump. As i thought it would be great for tuning, etc.

Soon found out it was the L series, still its goes OK now.

I dont have a clue on the derv, thats why I've been following your project so closely and thanks for posting up the good and bad points.

My one does smoke a bit, but thats when you get up to 70!!!!!

All the best with the new set up and hope you sort the problems out. At least you are the front runner in the derv development cause, always a difficult place to be.

:bow::bow::bow:

stamford
13-12-09, 09:03 AM
I admire you for persevering with this project, sorry to hear you have had problems. But that's the way these things go, positives and negatives but the main thing is learning from it. Do keep us updated as it is interesting to see another perspective.

peterzs
13-12-09, 09:09 AM
I admire you for persevering with this project, sorry to hear you have had problems. But that's the way these things go, positives and negatives but the main thing is learning from it. Do keep us updated as it is interesting to see another perspective.

Turbo route Mick, nice ZS derv.

:beer2::beer2:

Steves Cleenz
13-12-09, 09:59 AM
You are going to have a look at my van when I come down next week and tell me what you think to how that goes with just the little mods I have done

Supercharged_Z
13-12-09, 10:28 AM
if you could get your dervs to 170bhp that would be mint!!! just a shame it dosnt sound like a v6 lol

p_b82
13-12-09, 01:42 PM
sure thing Steve :)

The turbo can techncially flow enough air for about 190bhp in the diesels, so dropping it down to 25PSi (as that is really as high i i want to run it) i could techncially see around the 170-180 mark.

that has always been the plan to get close to a 180 as i could but still maintain the economy.... was a rather poor 38mpg last tank but i was testing out a few things since the boost leak was fixed.....

the real problem with the power figure with diesels is that we only have such limited rpm to play with, mine is currently still pulling at 4200rpm, but as the injector just dump the fuel in, it is not atomising properly, and there is just not enough time to burn it. hence seeing temps in the exhuast manifold of 900C when doing a flat out run in 5th.

It is true it will never sound like a v6 - in fact in usual L-series fashion it sounds rough and un-refined, but generates a few turned heads when on boost :)

p_b82
25-01-10, 02:56 PM
quick update....

Car is off to hospital tomorrow (was suppsoed to be today but the r25 loan car is poorly)

having the gearbox removed and stripped to fix the 5th gear issue - suspected spring failure for the synchromesh being the likely culprit.

Also getting my hybrid injectors fitted which co-insides well with a trip to Yeovil for yet another trip on the dyno on Saturday morning....

here is hoping to get it smoke free and some decent figures - tho we have no idea quite what to expect as it is an experiment and no-one has tried it before.

If it fails i will just pop the SDi nozzles back on the SDi injectors and go from there.

*keeps fingers crossed*

peterzs
25-01-10, 04:48 PM
Best of luck, hope it all goes well.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jay-ZS+
25-01-10, 05:03 PM
Yer good luck with it Pete hope you unlock all that potential it has!

Maxfly
25-01-10, 06:34 PM
Best of luck wi her, tis a very interesting experiment:)

p_b82
25-01-10, 07:05 PM
well it seems i have once more jinxed myself....

the r25 is poorly and as such there is currently no way i ca nget my car to Matt in time for him to fix both his and mine, before he needs it for a job already booked in.

So it is being postponed until 8th Feb and hopefully dyno on the 13th - assuming Matt Reidy is not already booked.

Looks like i will be missing the .org sw meet as well as i will prob have to do the car swap on the sunday :(

I really think my car hates me as it never wants to do anything to my schedule!

p_b82
19-02-10, 09:57 AM
Right, well we missed the 8th of Feb plan due to a few things coming up, so car is only just with Rally Matt atm.

Am hoping he finds the gearbox gremlin and i get the car back again some-time next week. I am away with work for the first 3 days of the week so not really an issue for me.

Just need to find a spare saturday now to head to yeovil - prob will be 1st weekend in March if Matt Reidy is free- to get the mapping tweaked.

It was funny got an email from Matt yesterday saying how he is enjoying driving the car atm and then he descibed it as the following: (slightly paraphrased)

"It is like a Windsor Chair with an ASBO"

I am geting all excited and nervous as to how the hybrid injectors will work:
a) with the mafless remap designed for the wingy injectors
b) once it has had another fettling on the dyno....

:mbounce:

Maxfly
19-02-10, 10:14 AM
top notch!! hopefully your luck is on the turn now!! :)

peterzs
19-02-10, 10:29 AM
Best of luck, hope it gets the oomph your looking for.

:-D:-D:-D

Steves Cleenz
19-02-10, 01:10 PM
look forward to the results Pete

stamford
19-02-10, 02:35 PM
You'll be like a dog with two dicks when fully sorted! :laugh:

mattie007
19-02-10, 07:32 PM
Good luck with it! When I saw it at Matts, I loved the look of that intercooler (think thats what it was!)

p_b82
20-02-10, 06:26 PM
Thanks Guys :)

If it was in the lower grill then yes it is the front mounted intercooler - nice race\rally spec core with custom end tanks with thermocouples plumbed into it... (not sure if MAtt had put the bumper back on when you saw it last or whether it was till 'Naked' :laugh:)

You can see it in the pics steve took when he gave my car its winter clean :)

I think i will be better than a dog with two dicks, purely as there will be no indecision as to what to do... i will just go out and drive the dammed thing :D

p_b82
05-03-10, 03:33 PM
Well just been to collect the car again and it has finally stopped loosing drive..

Turned out it was the split pin on the n\s driveshaft this time which did the same thing as the offside a few weekss previously. just not quite as much gearbox oil loss this time :)

Hybrid injectors are currently in place, and i have taken a performance hit, althoughit is not quite as much as i was expecting. in 5th it will still keep up with most things on the road.

the real odd thing i have now got is that there is ZERO smoke out the back of the car, i had got used to a small cloud following me around all the time.

Unfortunatly at such short notice Matt Reidy could not fit me in tomrrow for a remap session, so i am popping down to see him on the 19th March am as i have the day off for an event in london in the evening. (it sucks that if i dont take the whole day off for an evening event i can expect to not be in the country :()

EGT's with these injectors in are seriously reduced, as sustrained run in 5th right up to 4000rpm only peaked at 680c, that is a good 200C lower than it was with the wingy spec injectors - which is also very promising....

God knows that the figures this thing will kick out will be, but she is driving very smooothly all the same :)

stamford
05-03-10, 03:36 PM
Sounds like it is finally coming together, probably one of those cars we find hard to understand until we see it in the flesh and go. Impressive spec, looking forward to the end result when Matt has done his stuff.

p_b82
05-03-10, 03:48 PM
yeah, last thing really to consider is the induction - thinking of putting the battery in the boot and going for something enclosed where it used to be.

I dont use my MAF sensor so dont need to worry about the OE feed to the turbo anymore.

I was wondering quite how gutless the car was going to be switching back to these injectors, but what it lacks in outright performance it seems to be making up for in responsiveness....

i can't wait to see some dyno plots for it tho :D

Jay-ZS+
05-03-10, 04:00 PM
A derv with no smoke! No excuse for a dirty rear bumper now!! lol Good to hear you are finally having some luck with it, will keep my fingers crossed for you on the 19th! :)

p_b82
07-03-10, 06:24 PM
hehe yeah i really need to get it cleaned up, esp as in a month or so there will be good reason for it to be properly clean again.

Just have to decide whether i can get it clean enough myself or whether i need to get some-one else to do it again ;)

I did find it really odd being able to stamp on the throttle after so long gently increasing it for so long - and still not leave a smoke trail :laugh:

peterzs
07-03-10, 07:09 PM
I must admit, you keep half an eye on the mirror to see whats happening behind.

Then thiknk s** it and put the foot down a bit more.

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

Huffy
07-03-10, 09:32 PM
I like the smoke.... its like sticking two fingers up at the person behind you!

p_b82
08-03-10, 09:05 AM
yes it is indeed.. but slightly excessive when you then are not able to see them at all behind you ;)

peterzs
08-03-10, 11:18 AM
yes it is indeed.. but slightly excessive when you then are not able to see them at all behind you ;)

:fun::fun::fun::ohmy::ohmy::whistle::whistle::D:D

p_b82
21-03-10, 02:08 PM
Well for those not on .ORG who dont lurk in the diesel section i am proud to annouce that the car project has been completed....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/th_IMG_0270.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/?action=view&current=IMG_0270.jpg)

I guess the first this to explain from the thumnail are the different runs...

teh green run was how the car was running on the MAFless map designed to reign in the wingy injectors - but with just the hybrid ones fitted.

that return a respectable 211lbsft torque and 147bhp without a single hint of smoke even on the dyno - if you consider i was only getting 22lbs-ft & 160bhp with the wingy injectors high EGT's and smoke screen i was suprised and quite impressed!

Next Matt got working his magic and we discovered that there is an additional limiter in the mapping side when switching to a MAFLess remap. Not an Issue with SDI's as they flow enough fuel to not hit this new found limiter.

So we plugged the MAF back in and got the red run..... And all i can say is result :D

267lbsft and 169 bhp....tho a few drops in the curves that matt wanted to smooth out, as well as we detected i was only running 23PSI of boost.

so we uppped the boost to around 24-25PSI (not 100% sure as not using a boost guage and the MAP sensor can't read above 23.5PSI) and did the final run....

end result 170bhp and 269lbs-ft - the blue on in the pic

EGT's were peaking at around 850C at 4400 so well within safe limits, and on the road there is next to no smoke - a bit of a haze but nothing worse than a particualte filter burn off from the modern cars!

So all in all i failed to create my MGSZ 180TD - but i got dammed close. Initial run up the drap strip next to matts serious impressed me, as did the quick blast from the traffic lights on the way to the cash machine.... had serious wheel spin in 1st even with the ATB, but dropped it to second floored it and quickly ran out of revs - even with it having a torque limiter!

What i find really impressive is that even at 4000 rpm i am still getting 220lbs-ft torque - which is more than you get out a standard car with a remap at peak levels!

the long schlep home was not great due to the weather, but it was still nice fun - just rying to find an excuse to take it out for a proper run now the weather is nice today :D

Is funny i did say that i was finished with the car, but I have just been able to get my hands on the stainless mid section by wingy to complete the whole exhuast and at a bargain price too as it is 2nd hand :D

stamford
21-03-10, 02:32 PM
I would not be too disappointed with those figures, they are excellent! I could not begin to imagine the way that drives now, sounds like fun! I reckon that could be the benchmark then?

p_b82
21-03-10, 02:42 PM
well there was a ZR over on .org that had 174bhp and 312lbs-ft torque - but it was running 30PSI of boost and the rollers on the day seem to be a bit suspect - by the guys admission over on .org Attached to that was the fact the owner also blew the HG to pieces very shortly afterwards - so the car has been off the road for about a year now!

So i have not broken any records with the figures - but for me it was never about the bragging rights.

It is a joy to drive it i must admit - if i want to just cruise, 5th gear and 40mph and plant the foot and off it goes....

If i want to make rapid progress use all the gears and it just flies haven't taken it out on any twisties yet, but i suspect i would scare myself silly and run out of ability if i used as much loud pedal as i used to!

All in all i am happy with the improvements in the car from 115\192 stock to 170\270 - just a bit upset i tried the wingy injectors, as this project would not have taken 2 years otherwise :laugh:

stamford
21-03-10, 02:44 PM
No point in having the figures and no reliability, there needs to be some sensible compromise. Sounds like you have both. Now it is time to enjoy the fruits of your labour.

p_b82
21-03-10, 02:50 PM
yeah - here is hoping that we have got the reliability anyways.

the compants fitted should be up to it - just hope we dont over stress one of the OE parts we have not uprated - I will be keeping my fingers crossed tho :)

Infairness i also blew the HG to bits with just the wingy injectors and hybrid turbo running low boost - so i think that it is something that needs to be aware of when tuning the later L-series.

Matt has a theory that due the weakness of the timing solenoid within the pump, it start the car running too much advance that then increases the cylinder pressures and blows the HG. % wise it is not loads but it is certainly more than the older SDI's seemed to have.

Jay-ZS+
21-03-10, 06:07 PM
Nice one pete bet your well chuffed and quite relieved lol. Those figures are very impressive :thumbsup:

p_b82
21-03-10, 06:13 PM
Yeah when we had a few problems with the Mafless map i was starting to get a bit worried - but it turned out that there is another limiter in the ECU that we hit - you dont see it with SDI's as they are able to flow more fuel without it having to be requested explicitly...

Said to Matt that for once this time i actually am leaving really happy rather than some-what deflated :laugh:

Took the car out for a quick blast earlier - was suppsoed to be longer but out lost cat turned up and we got a call from the person who had captured her so had to turn round again - still any excuse ;)

peterzs
21-03-10, 06:52 PM
Glad youve got it sorted, sounds like its the result you were looking for.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::hooray::hooray::wav e:

p_b82
29-03-10, 12:37 PM
Well the car is broken again..

was thrashing it very hard on sunday and it has pissed all the coolant out of the expansion tank - via the pressure release valve.

It could just be the cap is faulty but i am a bit skeptical, but will be replacing it when i get my hands on one.

If it is not the cap, then it is HGF\headlift again.

At Matt reidy's recommendation i need to get the codes read to see if i am getting a -ve deviation error from the timing solenoid in the pump. If that is yes there is a problem, then what has happened is the car has been running with way too much advance and the cylinder pressures have gone up too much - blowing the gasket again.

So to fix that would need new pump or reconditioned one, head stripping and rechecking again, new belts and being put together once more.

If there is no -ve deviation error and the cap doesn't fix it then the problem lies elsewhere and will require some investigation. not sure where to start tho if something else causes it..

To say i am gutted is an understatment....

stamford
29-03-10, 12:49 PM
Words fail me...............sorry to hear you are having problems. Let's hope it is trivial and easily cured.

p_b82
29-03-10, 12:54 PM
I hope it is easy, but not expecting it to me... when people say they saw steam coming out the back of the exhaust while i was using throttle says to me that the HG has gone again.

and that it used a further 3/4 of the expansion tank once i refilled the system getting me the the 30 miles back to bristol yesterday while only using up to 2500 rpm and part throttle susgest it is more than just the cap....

stupid car it really much prefers to live stationary in rally_matts workshop than to be driven by me it seems....

Bobdope2002
29-03-10, 12:55 PM
Dedication this is mate.....if it was me id have probs given up.........Good luck fixing it

peterzs
29-03-10, 03:54 PM
Hope you get it sorted and its an easy fix.

:sad::sad::sad:

p_b82
06-04-10, 11:58 AM
Right another update i guess is needed...

It is still loosing coolant from the expansion cap when making use of 'some' of the extra torque, so i am pretty sure that the gasket has been compromised, so a strip down will be needed in the near future.

We have got a few ideas from some threads on .org as to what is the root cause, as it shouldnot be the fuelling directly causing the problem (butit might be we dont know)

So back to the update...

The thinking is that the exhaust housing for the GT15 family is far too small for what we are asking from it, and as such, the EMP (exhuast manifold pressure) is rocketting.... with the pressure high in the exhuast manifold it is doing enough to blow\compromise the gasket with the high boost from the inlet side.

So we are going to try and either tap the EM or use the EGR blanked plate and fit a pressure sensor, and just see what is what.

If the EMP is the root cause then there are a couple of options...

Either fit a custom external wastegate, with some pipework and a bit of a flex to join up with the decat - as this would basically show that the internal wastege on the GT1549 we have is not big enough to cope with dumping all the excess exhuast gases so we would be able to bypass the turbo completely and dump the excess pressure that way.

The turbo can still be controlled with the boost readings from the MAP as normal... although i am still thinking of getting a 3bar sensor fitted rather than the 2bar currently in use...

Or i will be going down a larger VNT turbo with electronic boost control, with a adaptor plate for the Exhaust manifold and a custom downpipe.

the later option is last resort, as i dont really want to detune the car (as it stands we think SDI's and remap is the most the turbo housing can take - so peak 250lbs ft and max 150bhp (or around 200lbsft at 4000 rpm), but i also dont really want to have the cost and the hassle of buying a new turbo and trying to sell the hybrid.

If we get the results as expected then i dont think that any-one will want to pay a decent price for a 'pointless' turbo either so it is a bit of a damage limitation excercise now! :(

So all is not lost, but it seems like it is still a way away from completion....

Any-one know where i can get my hands on a pressure sensor that can cope with up to 1000C, as all the ones i have found stop working after 250c :laugh:

p_b82
12-04-10, 12:00 PM
Right we have worked out a way to measure the EMP.. just going to use a new blanking plate with a boost guage plumbed into that.... a bit of brake line or something similar to disipate any latent heat then on to normal boost hosing to run it to the cabin... or just something a bit closer if Matt is able to get some testing done on a RR...

Still looking at the various options for once we get the EMP readings - I think i would have to rethink my pipework if i go with the bypass system, as i am almost 100% there is not enough space to join it up with the decat, so the downpipe itself will need to be modified....

external wategate system looks like it would be in the region of £250 for the bits to control and operate that, plus the labour to get it fitted... then the extra cost of getting the pipework plumbed in properly rather than just using a 'screamer pipe' for testing purposes

My concerns with this route is that it is going to be quite hard to control the external wastegate, - As you should see pressure spikes under normal conditions - eg tootling along then stamp the loud pedal when in a rev range that allows max turbo boost) and stopping it opening too early and dumping the boost from the tubo's internal wastegate

If i effect the lag of the system i may as well jsut get a bigger turbo maybe something from the GT20 family...

Still doing plenty of research to try and work out my options.... I will avoid detuning the car if it is the last thing i do :D

stamford
12-04-10, 12:24 PM
Good to see you are keeping at it, all too easy to throw in the towel.

p_b82
21-04-10, 05:36 PM
Right quick update..

I have come to the conclusion there is almost nothing out there that will give me the daily drivability i am after without needing a lot of extra work to get it to fit...

As VNT is not an option (yet) i have decided on the pressure release system.

However after speaking to Grant (GBE) he has given me a few pointers to try and get this to work correctly...

Firstly he expects to see EMP spiking well above the boost pressure, so as i am running 25-26PSI on the intake side i can expect to see spikes of around 35-45PSI...

Due to this, there will never be any form of boost controller that i will find that will work - as they are all designed to keep boost steady at high rpm not dump pressure at high rpm...

So what we are going to go for a decent external wastegate with a restrictor plate bolted on the exhaust manifold (at the EGR point) - the dimentions of this are going to be a bit trial and error though - so a high temp valve may well be the best bet...

then the same thing on the other side of the wastegate - if the spring on the wastegate is high enough to resist the main spike and the pipework doesn't allow much flow through it. we should be able to dump the excess backpressure.

So the good news is that costs are looking at the £60 for a decent 38mm wastegate and then some pipeing\adaptor plates to be made up...

Other possibly good news is that rally_matt might be able to get his hands on soemthing decent to record the EMP's directly...

If and when the trial and error is all worked out, i will then plumb it into the downpipe so it passes MOT's :)

reading around some of the TDiclub posts (big VAG tuner forum) i might even see a nice jump in bhp if the balance is got right :D

peterzs
21-04-10, 06:44 PM
Best of luck Pete, keep fingers crossed for you.

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Jay-ZS+
21-04-10, 10:46 PM
Sounds fairly positive then pete all a learning curve for everyone involved :)

stamford
22-04-10, 07:49 AM
All sounds rather interesting, makes a change from the normal reading.

p_b82
22-04-10, 10:17 AM
In effect we are just running a 'low blow' turbo setup on a car that has high boost pressure.

The challenge we are going to have is to get the restriction small enough that it doesn't dump too much exhuast away from the turbo - but not so small that it is still going to over pressure the EM.

Would be possible to do the same thing with a larger external wastegate - as the problem we have is that the internal one is not big enough to divert enough gas away from the turbine housing....
That however would require a fair amount of pipe re-working so this is the easisest compromise...

just have to get the bits together and then see how it all pans out... (it could still fail but if it stops HGF then in one respect it will be a success...)

p_b82
30-04-10, 11:29 AM
Right car is booked in for another 'Holiday' with Matt next friday.

Going to hook up a boost guage to the Exhaust manifold (where the EGR is blanked) to get some figures as to what it reached achieved when it spits the coolant out.

Also going to try to get something into the coolant system to read the pressure in there to make sure we are getting HGF and not just a general cooling system problem.

Going to check the thermostat just to be sure it is working properly, and also the waterpump.

Pending what is found (but we both expect it to be HGF), the head will come off again and stripped down and rebuilt, then the bypass system will be fashioned.

If we can limit the EMP to be the same as boost then we should be laughing... so around 26PSI

no idea how long this will take, so i am going to be in the little 25 again for a while i think...

still toying with uprating the MAP sensor to a 3bar one so i can get proper boost from the scangauge, but i suspect i will need to get the ECU tweaked a little so just going to get a cheap boost guage to make sure everything is right and maybe get round to that later on.

peterzs
30-04-10, 12:11 PM
Be interesting to see what is happening, hope its sorted and not too many ££££'s.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

p_b82
06-05-10, 12:24 PM
Some good news - Car might not have HGF at all - been doing soem double checking and my bottom rad hose doesn't get hot.

Suggests either faulty thermostat or waterpump not up to the job - bits broken or not ale to flow enough when under full throttle.

Going to get that investigated first before we do any 'difficult' stuff.

Also getting my mid section replaced with a nice shiney 2.5" stainless wingy section, to complete my whole exhaust.

Also needs to have the rear right caliper checking as i think it is not sliding quite as it should and is binding a bit.

might be a nice quick and easy fix.... or it might still be a PITA :laugh:

stamford
06-05-10, 12:28 PM
Let's hope it is the former, about time you had the rub of the green.

p_b82
17-05-10, 11:32 AM
Whoop whoop got some good news this morning - Matt was doing a few road tests with my scanaguage and noticed that it was running a bit hot, and then all of a sudden the temp would drop back down. EG from 96+C down to 88C -the usual up to temperature reading...

and took the termostat out, put in a pan and thermostat is not function as it should. New OE rover one due to be fitted tomorrow when it is collected along with a new waterpump (just on the safe side replacement)

Keeping fingers crossed and tring not to jinx things but the car might for once not have worse case scenario situation :)

Going to then get a reading for the exhaust manifold pressure if the car holds coolant once more at full throttle high rpms and if it is within sensible levels EG +- a few PSI of boost then all is well and i can drive it how it ought to be driven again :)

Jay-ZS+
17-05-10, 11:35 AM
Sounds hopeful pete :)

peterzs
17-05-10, 12:32 PM
Keeping everything crossed for you, sounds good though.

:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

p_b82
17-05-10, 12:49 PM
we will also see if it dont fix it whether a kv6 cap holds the coolant in, as it is rated higher than all the other caps....

p_b82
31-05-10, 05:15 PM
not so good news i am afraid - looks 99.99999% sure i have got repeat HGF.

got the car for a few weeks as Matt needed his back for a while... going to have to seriously consider my options now :(

peterzs
31-05-10, 09:21 PM
Bummer, hope you can sort it out, and its not too costly for you.

:(:(:(

p_b82
04-07-10, 04:23 PM
Well I have given the car to Matt for open heart surgery.

I most def have repeat HGF as there are now sooty deposits in the coolant and it is drinking water at a very alarming rate :(

So we are going to look at the wire & groove option again depending on what turns up when matt opens it up... it will be the best option to avoid it happening i am sure, but last time the guy advised Matt it could be a bit marginal for the head...

I am considering then to get the block done instead, but obviously that will be an engine out job...

When it is all bolted back together matt will get a reading of the Exhaust manifold pressure, and we can see if it is too high and work on getting it lowered if it needs it.

Oh and the car needs the ac looking at (maybe re-gas) and an MOT while it is there.

It was funny, my GF was following me today (as i am going to be out the country with work for a few weeks, matt has not given me his little R25) and even with only using 50% throttle and short changing at 3K rpm, her 206 could not keep up and i got an earful when i arrived at Matt's workshop.

Even a poorly, tuned L-series is a quicker than a 1.4 206 :D

peterzs
04-07-10, 05:32 PM
Pete, 3k is nearly flat out for a derv, no wonder you got an earful!!:whistle::whistle:

Hope its a cheap fix, all the best.:):):)

p_b82
04-07-10, 05:50 PM
not in mine it isnt Peter! mine pulls all the way to 4400 ;) (well it did for a short while until it blew itself up :laugh:)

dont think it is going to be a cheap fix, taking the head off requires all the belts etc off as well, and if i get the block wire and grooved then that is engine out completely....

Ah well it is keeping me out of trouble...

Edit oh, a nice satanic post count i have now :laugh:

peterzs
04-07-10, 11:38 PM
Hope its not an Omen!!!!! :whistle::whistle::whistle:

:):):):)

p_b82
08-07-10, 09:14 PM
Right quick update...

Head came off on tuesday and Matt gave me a call on wendnesday - repeat head lift but this time coolant at 1 & 4 went. around the fasteners for the ARP studs it has stayed nice and tight but lifted in the middle :(

not really sure where that leaves us, as it is looking like it is a design issue rather than soemthing we can fix....

but am still hoping some analysis of the exhaust manifold pressure gives us a final avenue to look into... but might just have to tone it down *sniff*

p_b82
05-08-10, 01:42 PM
hmm has it really been a month.... where did it go i wonder... ah yes i remember, out the country...

Anyhoo spoke to Matt and the car has been rebuilt and he is putting on a few running in miles.

needed to have a new set of dowels as there was too much play with old ones, and a new set of lifters. the old ones had signs of impact damage; Matt can only surmise that due to the higher temps and pressures, the metal of the cams expanded and caused contact.

The good news is that the car is running better than it has been for a while and is just waiting on a 2 new tyres before it goes for an MOT (sat or monday).

Matt was just off to the shops to buy a boost gauge as well to fashion up the exhuast manifold pressure reader, and then we can see quite what the EMP is hitting on high boost high RPM situations....

Get the Aircon hopefully sorted as well...

However i was slightly concerned when Matt started talking about custom exhuast manifolds and 16v heads again; I think he shocked himself about being so interested in an 'an old tractor engine'. However it is not a route i plan to go down anytime soon!

More likely would be a VNT turbo if anything :laugh:

peterzs
05-08-10, 01:47 PM
Hope its sorted, the other mods sound like serious money!!!

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Jay-ZS+
05-08-10, 01:48 PM
Glad to hear its back up and running, dont really understand all the technical stuff involved on the darkside! Although it sounds expensive:unsure:

Got my fingers crossed it all goes without any problems :)

stamford
05-08-10, 01:50 PM
EMP! I'm staying well away from you then!

Jay-ZS+
05-08-10, 01:51 PM
EMP! I'm staying well away from you then!

lol Dont want to start glowing green or go up in a puff of smoke!! Quite fitting for a Derv I guess

p_b82
05-08-10, 02:36 PM
heheh different EMP; this one is exhaust manifold pressure....

tho that would be a good way to make sure you win a drag race, just knock out the elctrics of the competitor....

I am making a guess here Jay, but i think that the rebuild with all the new bits and gubbins will prob have been more than your new engine was :(

Jay-ZS+
05-08-10, 02:41 PM
I am making a guess here Jay, but i think that the rebuild with all the new bits and gubbins will prob have been more than your new engine was :(

Bloody hell good job your not a student too! :laugh:
Reckon you could top this list pretty easy!! http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=13093

p_b82
05-08-10, 02:55 PM
hehe yes i think that you are right there..... i have avoided doing all the sums for a while, it scared me last time i did it about 2 years ago lol (that was before the 1st HGF :laugh:)

suppose it is one advantage of only payring rent atm, and having a job where i am sent lots of places so i have very little living expenses.... tho the home front is about to change soon...

p_b82
13-08-10, 10:19 AM
Initial testing suggests that we do have high exhuast manifold pressure, but the gauge/reader needs a minor tweak as we need more cooling pipework before the switch to plastic for the boost gauge.

so looks like a method to bleed off some pressure is the way to go.... hopefully more info/results next week.

peterzs
13-08-10, 10:38 AM
How did the Seat Derv's in the BTCC get over EMP, they used to go like stink and they are one of the reasons I got my derv.

Must admit I thought it was the BMW derv engine not the L series ( just shows how much I knew) Saying that I'm pleased with the way it goes.

Look forward to the next lot of results, hope its not too costly this time.

:wave::wave::wave:

p_b82
13-08-10, 01:16 PM
probably by running a turbo with VNT.

it is basically a huge turbo (as denoted by the GT20 or GT22 starting numbers), but by changing the vane angle you get it to behave like a small one. so you get high resistance at low rpm with the vanes closed, and low restance at high rpm with the vanes open.

That means it spools as fast as our little GT 15 family units, but are big enough to flow enough exhaust gas and drive the compressor like a fixed vane GT 22 unit. it results in the ability for well over 200bhp - assuming that the fuel is there.

All modern diesel engines now use VNT units, they are the way forward, but they are more fragile than 'old style' fixed ones. which means this like fuelling and boost is much more important to get right early etc.

Controlling it on the L-series is not easy however, but there are a few people trying to do it as we speak. either has to be done via a seperate control module, or tie it into the EGR vavle controller - but for that you have to remove the EGR, so that would fail MOT on a Mk2 as that can't be disabled yet :(

We are getting there, and this last little bit will be cheaper than the rebuild was for sure :)

p_b82
24-08-10, 04:14 PM
been a few days so figured i would pop an update up...

the pressure reading system is proving to be a bit of a PITA to fabricate, as it keeps melting the oil feed pipe Matt is using to connect the brake line he has attached to a plate in the exhaust manifold.

so even tho there is no gas movement as it is sealed it is still transfering a hell of a lot of heat along it.

I had hoped to pick the car up this week, but my schedule will not allow this now, so prob will be next week sometime (on my way back down from hull most probably)....

will probably now also just use a ball and spring based boost controller to dump any excess pressure rather than worry too much about external wastegates, as it looks like heat is going to be too much of a factor, and i am still concerned about dumping too much gas with summit like an external wastegate...

peterzs
24-08-10, 08:45 PM
Cant you just turn the boost down, ( I dont know anything about boost etc, only that our whiz kid fitter, who used to have a big American muscle car and took it to Santa Pod, boosted mine up a bit)

If your turbo is pushing out 25 psi is it possible to cut it back a bit. Cant remember what he pushed mine up to, think it was 2 psi above whatever. Anymore and he said it caused the engine to knock.

Best of luck and hope its sorted.

:smile1::smile1::smile1::smile1:

p_b82
25-08-10, 11:36 AM
Theoretically i could turn the boost down, but that defeats the object of having the hybrid turbo - that has been designed to cope with 28PSI on the intake side of things. (I am running it at around 25/26 PSI atm

the problem is that the internal wastegate is too small to bypass enough of the gas from the hot side, but controlling EMP via boost pressure (intake) is not actually a sensible way to sort the problem - it works by reducing the effective combustion of the fuel by removing air, but this method theoretically would be more effective, as it is dumping the excess pressure post combustion.

Eg if i reduce boost i have to reduce fueling as otherwise the fuel wont be fully combusted, i will get higher smoke, and see the EGT's rise again. At the moment they are nice 'low' 750C while under sustained full throttle - well within turbo temp tollerances and the manifold itself. (i had seem 850 with it still climbing before i backed off the throttle in the past - and that is way too hot!)

I am still quite surprised by the knock comment - diesels dont knock usually as there is no way for the fuel to ignite before the compression is at the max - and an excess of air just results in more complete combustion with a diesel. (out the factory they all run lean as it is hence no smoke and better emissons)

There is no point turning your turbo above 19PSI as the turbo itself becomes inefficient and can't take the strain of the 150K+ rpms that that sort of boost is asking of it. Seen a few pics on .org where the housing starts to crack after a while, and the bearing give up the ghost as they are too hot and dont have enough lubrication...

Car is 99% there now, just this last little niggle.....

peterzs
25-08-10, 11:41 AM
Suspect he was just keeping it safe.

Glad your almost there with your one.

Santa Pod next??????

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

p_b82
01-09-10, 08:55 PM
Right I have picked the car up and done a 100 miles in it to get me back home and get some readings for the EMP...

the news is both good and bad:
the bad news is that we have got high EMP, on full throttle in 3/4/5th it is above 2.5 bar - i guess 2.75 to 3.0 as it went off the end of the guage.

the Good news is that now we know this we are able to work out a solution, and if you dont use full throttle and gradually build the boost by rolling the accelerator the EMP keeps lower (but still higher than it should be)

so while we\I do some research and bandy some thoughts around on how to correct it, i wont be thrashing the car - so no Pod just yet Peter ;)

Maybe this needs a seperate thread, but any EMP possible solutions please send me a postcard with the thoughts and method to solve it.

Ideally we want something like an idle control vavle that opens up gradually as the pressure against it increases but closes off nice and slowly as pressure drops.

Other requirements
It has to cope with exhaust temps of around 800C
It has to cope with sooty exhaust gases
It can't dump too much gas from bypassing the turbo and stalling it

Ay thoughts let me know... i am a bit stumped, i have a few ideas but nothing that in my mind will be easy to implement without a large amount of time\effort\experimentation

petet16
01-09-10, 09:25 PM
How about some form of spring loaded valve in the manifold to release the excess pressure into the exhaust further downstream.

The high gas temps are going to be a problem, I'm sort of thinking about how gas turbines release excess compressor pressure, but in that scenario gas temps are around 250 degC.

p_b82
01-09-10, 09:35 PM
yeah, well at the moment we ave got where the EGR valve use to be to play with, but the control is going to be the challenge.

make the path too easy to take and the turbo will not spool properly, dont take enough and the turbo becomes a restriction and the pressure goes up.

One option might be to alter the mapping of the EGR valve coupled with a narrow outlet post valve side. this could either be done via the ECU or by a seperate control method to activate the solnoid in it.

the downsides to this is either design and build a 'mini' ecu for some pre-programmed values, or cost\time to get a remapper to 'muck about' with things. and then istill need to devise a method to read the pressure while all this is being tested.

With the % increases of things i am not really sure i want to risk tapping the exhaust manifold directly at this time, so i need to be able to utilise a blanking plate of some shape still.....

An External wastegate would not cope with the gas temps so it pretty much out the question :(

It is not going to be easy i dont think....

thanks for the thoughts though :)

Ps the 'real' solution is a turbo with a bigger hot side - but VNT control has it's own problems and non vnt units are too laggy :(

peterzs
02-09-10, 11:02 AM
Sounds like you are almost there, hope you can sort the pressure problem out.

Got to give you respect for carrying on and boosting the L series.

Will have to see it in the flesh one day.

:hooray::hooray::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

p_b82
03-09-10, 12:07 PM
Right have worked out my first port of call method to control this EMP and it is going to try to follow the KISS approach (keep it simple stupid)

going to decide on an external wategate that i might* purchase.
*the word might is there for a reason
Then i am going to get an adpator plate made up that will go from the EGR port, a short section of intermediate pipework and then the end plate will match the possible external wategate i might* buy.

I will get the short section tapped to fit a boost reading device - currently using a compression fit and some brake line, so happy to keep that method for now.

then get a few blanking plates made up for the wastegate end; to start with i will literally just drill a hole and see if we can lower things enough without affecting spool by following this very simple approach.

If i discover a suitable diameter hole that fits the bill i will then either:
a) mate the correct diamter pipework to the downpipe to by pass the turbo
b) feed the pipework under the car to let it vent that way.

If lag is affected too much, or not enough pressure drop occurs, then i will get the wategate that matches the adaptor plate i have had made up, and start the testing again using the pressure to manipulate the actuator\wastegate.

As wastegates are generally quite large things i will need to experiment with a restrictor again to lower the flow either pre or post wastegate or both.

If that fails then i will cry and sulk lots :laugh:

being serious though if the 2nd attempt fails then i will look at electronic boost controllers - but they are quiet pricey so want to avoid theat outlay if it is not needed.

Now just to work out which wastegate i might want and then get the adaptor made up.

peterzs
03-09-10, 04:18 PM
Hi Pete, is a wastegate the same as the dump valve???

On my Volvo 440 I could hear that sucking and hissing away, I cant say I've noticed the same with the L series, did squirt some WD40 around the adjustment arm to see if it was stuck.

The turbo kicks in OK, just dont get the suck and wooosh noise.

Your one is much too technical for me, just about know how the derv works, but with the torque you are getting I bet it goes.

:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

p_b82
04-09-10, 05:38 PM
Not quite Peter,

On a petrol when the throttle closes and it blocks off the intake in order to dump the air to avoid stalling the turbo you vent it off to atmosphere in a 'psst noise'

Our diesels dont ever get a closed throttle plate, so we dont need a dump valve. you can bodge one up electronically, but it actually looses performance as you need to get the boost pressure back again :)

the wastegate on our turbo's is actually integral to the hot side of the exhaust itself, they are driven by the actuator. When boost pressure on the cold side is reached they open up and divert the hot gas away from the exhuast turbine therefore restricting the rpms the turbo can spool and therefore hitting you boost limit.

As a combination of the wastegate and hot side of the housing is too small for the volume and flow of gas, we are now seeing the pressure building up.

I have also realised that if my single simple plate method doesn't work, then i am going to also need another actuator to drive the wastegate, unless i get one with summit integrated into it.

I had put in a bit about the run back from the station to the farm, but discretion being the better part of valour and all that i decided to not post it, just suffice to say: it shifts ;)

peterzs
04-09-10, 10:11 PM
Cheers for that, I can stop spraying the WD40 about. Glad its going well.

p_b82
09-09-10, 11:15 AM
Right finally got off my backside and took a few pics of the engine bay... for those randomly interested in the bodgetastic Exhuast manifold pressure reading system then take a quick peak at these :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/DSC_0008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/DSC_0009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/DSC_0010.jpg
And yes i know i need to clean my air filter ;)

Jay-ZS+
09-09-10, 11:26 AM
Id want to remove that and push it down my stairs :D

p_b82
09-09-10, 11:48 AM
lol... took me a while to work out what you are on about....

I am afraid it has no spring, as it is brake line... the end result would be to wach it roll down :laugh:

Jay-ZS+
09-09-10, 11:53 AM
lol... took me a while to work out what you are on about....

I am afraid it has no spring, as it is brake line... the end result would be to wach it roll down :laugh:

Yer guessed it was solid but that was the first thing that came to my mind. :laugh:

p_b82
29-09-10, 11:17 AM
well figured i ought to pop a quick post up here, car is till waiting for a slave cylinder rebuild kit to make it up to the farm - the rebuild kit for a 620Ti slave cylinder cost about ?10 rather than the close to ?100 for a new slave so waiting is def the order of the day...

I am also still fearing the worst about the fuel pump, but as the car can't make its own way around at the moment it has not been for a diagnostic session yet..... am keeping fingers crossed it is just the EML playing silly buggers, and once that is cleared it will run smoothly again!

peterzs
29-09-10, 01:39 PM
Keep everything crossed for you, deserve a bit of luck.

Dan1971
29-09-10, 01:42 PM
Keep everything crossed for you, deserve a bit of luck.

+1 ........

lewys
30-09-10, 11:39 AM
this thread is a great read! hope that when its running again i get chance to see this thing shift!

p_b82
30-09-10, 11:59 AM
Well i am hoping to bring it to down the meet in Oct - i got my AA cover up to date so if it breaks again it wont be the end of the world.... man i really should not still see the funny sidefthins now :laugh:

stamford
30-09-10, 12:05 PM
I hope so too, about time you had a good run with no issues.

p_b82
15-10-10, 02:07 PM
well there are two bits of news....

first the Good news.... my repair bill did not cost me anything....

and now for the........... excellent news - nothing wass wrong with it :D

It had the slave cylinder rebuilt for peanuts and upon investigation matt thinks that it gfailed due to external contamination, so he has fitted a really beefy dust cover to it this time.

RE: the pump, there was a lot of water\crud marks from the various explosions of coolant and they had worked their way into the connectors.

Initially the pump guy could not clear them as they kept coming back, things like timing errors, pump disconnected flow rates etc, but once the connectors were all cleared and sorted no more codes :D

so all i have to do is to pick it up, hoping GF will be up for a drive to the farm tomorrow, but if not it will be Thursday night when i get back to the UK...

So back to the relief system.... and i got a couple of forum friedns to help me.

One does technical drawings, and the other is a metalworker. Both have said they will do it for beer tokens :D

*cosses fingers*

stamford
15-10-10, 02:51 PM
That's great news! About time you had the rub of the green! :yes:

Jay-ZS+
15-10-10, 04:57 PM
Great stuff Pete, So not much left to do now!

p_b82
16-10-10, 07:54 PM
I know... maybe finally getting close to completeion!

Picked it up this afternoon as the GF agreed to do the return trip, and i have to say, i missed her! the car that is not the GF.

Forgot what it was like to waft around torque filled luxury, and i worked out that my car is as quick as a 1.4 pug 206 if i use under 50% throttle and change up at 2-2.5K rpm :laugh:

peterzs
17-10-10, 09:31 AM
Dont get tempted to use the torque, well not till we see it on the 24th!!

:yes::yes::yes::laugh::laugh:

lawrence-zs180
17-10-10, 09:40 AM
lol yea dude steady as she goes

p_b82
21-10-10, 11:05 AM
tell me about it...

everytime i complete a trip in it i let out a breath i had not been realising i was holding :laugh:

my new 'fear' is that the clutch is on the way out as the bite point is now rather high..... could just be due to rebuilding of the cylinder etc...... i hope!

peterzs
21-10-10, 03:07 PM
Once your on the motorway you wont need the clutch!!!!

:devil::devil::beer2::beer2::beer2:

p_b82
21-10-10, 03:40 PM
i know - did heathrow terminal 5 to bristol m32 without changing out of 5th last night - was even doing 35mph at one point :laugh:

p_b82
10-12-10, 04:03 PM
Figured i would pop an update in here as it has been a month or so....

Well good news is that the clutch still hasn't gone, so the altered bite point i think is just down to the slave cylinder being rebuilt..... now i said that it will die on me next week :rofl:

I have been loosing coolant at a slow but steady rate, but just topped up with 500ml of OAT after about 1500miles, and i think i found the leak from the bottom rad hose..... here is hoping anyways.... lossened the pipe, re seated it and nipped it back up, with the engine running there was no drip this time....

my metal working friend has not been able to take my mocked up update off me yet, as either i have been out the country or he has, so it looks like the pressure relief system is still further timein the future to being resolved..... if i am lucky i might get it back inbetween Xmas and new year and can open her up agin to test stuff out :)

Have to say i am proud of the mightly L-series.. fires up with only one glow plug working, even in -2 and being buried in a snow drift for a week.... good old airport carparks....

I am hoping that when matt changed the plug (the only one working) he popped it into number 4, as that one is staying in there until the head comes off, as it is a fuel pump removal required to change it..... number 1 is tight underneath a coolant pipe too..... I will know more when i get a multimeter onto it and read the resitance of each plug.... would go out and buy one, and have done it, but it was on my Santa list so no idea if it has been bought yet.... :S

Ah well keeps me out of trouble :laugh:

Maxfly
10-12-10, 04:08 PM
Glad that things are starting to go your way bud, look forward to you posting another post with more reliable miles under your belt:)

Steves Cleenz
10-12-10, 05:24 PM
Pete top tip to testing glow plugs, take the power lead off each plug, then get a plain bit of wire and hold one end on the + of the battery and then with the other end just touch the terminal on the plug, if it sparks then its working :)

p_b82
10-12-10, 08:10 PM
ah cool thanks for the tip Steve..... i am 100% sure that it is running 1, just need to find out which one :)

Matt did ring me the other day and told me to drop the car off with him to sort the coolant loss out... was impressed by the offer as he could only have seen it from posts on various forums..... if the cap is good and the rad hose dont fix it, then it will be HG related i am sure..... and it is not completely unknown for a HG to to be faulty... knowing my car and my current luck that would be the case..... am hoping it is being nice to me for once tho :)

Once pressure is reduced and i can use that final 40% of throttle again i am going to be one happy bunny for sure :D

peterzs
11-12-10, 09:51 AM
Hope the hose was the only cause of the water level dropping, think you deserve a bit of Christmas luck.

Start the New Year off with a sorted pressure relief system and your there.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::clap2::clap2:

p_b82
21-12-10, 04:03 PM
right the hose is not the cause of the leak, but digging around with some virgin snow at my folks has identified it is not dripping while idle or reved without major load going through the system.....

there are crystals that are being formed on the waterpump, so a leak is happening externally... which is good, but i can't see it dripping at idle etc... frustrating but better than it going internally!

pressure pipe is being made up this week, and i hope to get my hands on it and try to get some holes drilled and sorted over Xmas period.... but it may not be done before i leave on the 23rd, so might be closer to new year....

Decided in the rework to get the pigtail of copper attached directly onto it my by mate, as it saves me trying to faff about with it and cocking it all up :laugh:

peterzs
21-12-10, 06:47 PM
Glad its not the head gasket, all the best with it, hope 2011 lets you put the power down.

:clap::clap::clap:

Ravinder_Tomcat220T
23-12-10, 02:52 PM
Probably is the waterpump. You won't see it because it will just evaporate in that area with the heat. Just get it changed before it does do any damage.

p_b82
28-12-10, 12:14 PM
Well it is drinking coolant at quite a rate, but nothing i am not able to keep on top off. Matt thinks that it is an issue with the new pump that was fitted, and it not making the seal properly - the old one had to be smashed out at it has fused solid :(

Just need to get it up to him to sort out before i got to the states in the 2nd week of Jan...

p_b82
31-01-11, 09:41 PM
Well it has been a month and i have been out the uk for almost all of it....

However the coolant issue was sorted in 10mins of matt gettin it on ramps.. the hoseclip had failed but only after the system presurized and the stat had opened... it would pop open a few teeth only every time you tightened it - once it got hot.. the little ******...

However the good news kinda stops there... ther EML light is on again, and it is slow starting again - after matt fixed it with sorting the timing out.... the temp gauge has packed in, the air con is flat again.....

On the plus side tho the 'bit of pipe' for the relief system turned up.. but did not fit - looking at the pic of it, it was not as i had requested.... so Matt will butcher it and get that stuff all sorted....

had to drive a brand new corsa to gatwick the other week and it was hellish... just no poke; tho more from a 1.2 that i expected tbh!

Maxfly
01-02-11, 06:21 AM
The good and the bad mate, least the coolant leak was an easy fix and the temp guage and flat air con should be an easy sort too. No sure about the eml light but hopefully matt will get to the bottom of it. Your getting there, slowly but surely!!:)

peterzs
01-02-11, 09:38 AM
Glad its not the head gasket, hope the rest is an easy fix.

Got some SDi injectors now, sorted the thread out on one, so I,m just deciding when and if to fit them, and then pay a visit to Yeovil and Reidy's RR.

p_b82
01-02-11, 11:20 AM
yeah getting there slowly but surely.... last time the EML was on it was a stored code from the belt replacement; but this time nothing has been touched and it came on again. worst case is the fuel pump is dying and these are the early signs....

best case is stored code and the poor starting is air in the system... hopefully matt can indeed trace it to the later and not the first... new pumps are extortion and getting one reconn'd aint much better so you kinda have to trust to luck with a scrappy one!

A\C was regassed about 6 months ago, so there is a leak, hopefully the dye has not washed off yet and it can be spotted easily and it aint too expensive to fix... not that i need for any other time than 2 weeks a year :rofl:

Peter:
If your dyno trip is going to be in a few months i may plan to join you - by then the relief system will be done and i want to see how many ponies i lost getting over that backpressure. as my car has always been on that dyno it is the one i need to go back to for comparison purposes. :)

Am hoping that all will be done in time for the meet so some runs can be given :)

lawrence-zs180
01-02-11, 11:35 AM
Sounds like she isnt letting you have it easy is she?
Still as said some of the bits are 'easy' fixes... on the Reidy rr side I would be game for a run down there to get a remap done to mine.

peterzs
01-02-11, 01:38 PM
Have a group booking at Reidys, might knock a bit off.

Have to let us know what timescale you are looking at Pete.

lawrence-zs180
01-02-11, 01:46 PM
sounds like a good idea

p_b82
02-02-11, 08:58 AM
hmm timescale really is car dependant... next few months is ideally the plan...would have to be a saturday... i will pop a seperate possible interest thread up

peterzs
02-02-11, 09:13 AM
Gives me time to sort the SDi's out!!!

p_b82
21-02-11, 04:37 PM
Well i have got some good and bad news after picking the car up today....

lets start with the bad shall wel... my fuel pump is poorly. getting a slightly metallic bearing noise from it, and it has put the light on again after it was cleared.

Day to day it is no issue until one day it will just die on me. So new pump or reconditioned one or scrapyard one is needed soonish... this will be anything from ?750-150 depending on what i can get my hands on.

The next bad news is that the prototype pressure relief system failed on friday after about 500miles fitted. It turns out that central heating pipework is not man enough for the temps of sustained exhaust gas flow... (it melted it) then as the copper pipe all gave up it pointed the vent at a nice cooant T piece and melted that in the process....

Oh and the noise of un silenced engine from just a tiny section of pipework was immense, so a proper solution is needed that plumb it back into the exhaust properly...

the good news is that we know know what sized hole is needed, and we need to utilize an external wastegate to achieve the desired result as the simple approach either is not effective enough, or is too effective.... got to love manual twist values :)

car will be coming to the meet, but it wont be finished so no runs i am afraid as the 50% throttle limit is still in place :(

lawrence-zs180
21-02-11, 04:54 PM
she really isnt making it easy for you is she...
Will be good to see you and the poorly girl at the meet though.

peterzs
21-02-11, 11:33 PM
Sorry to hear latest set back, but at least you can move on and fabricate the right bits now.

How did it go before the new pipework for the wastegate gave up??

skyblueads
24-02-11, 09:26 PM
Wow, Pete. More interesting developments, seems we need to get together for another chat and now the better weather is coming, a photo shoot.

Drop me an email when you're a bit more sorted. :smart:

Ritchy
24-02-11, 09:43 PM
love the determination put into this car, really respect matts work to make this work the way you want it

p_b82
27-02-11, 05:36 PM
Right well to answer a few of the questions; i never got to drive it while it was in the deve phase, it wait the Friday before i picked it up on the Monday!

But Matt thought it went better when the boost was able to be sustained, but it was a bit too laggy; hence why we now know we need to use a wastegate in order to control the pre high EMP exhuast flow.

the fuel pump situation has been confirmed as pretty terminal, so i have just bought me a reconned unit off fleabay this evening.. a 'bargain' at ?400 delivered with a year warranty on it.

Xpart want best part of ?1k for the same state part, so will try to get my old one repaired, and might keep it spare or sell it to get some money back from it...

Now just need to sit down and do some sums and some estimates as to exactly how to attempt to handle the gas diversion. there is apparently a exhaust based valve that the mitsubishi's use to open&close based on a petrol car for the anti-lag that could well be useful.

Our concern with an external wastegate is that unless the flow is quite limited we are going to get surging (dropping) boost pressure as soon as it opens up....

An additional 20mm is too large and drops the max boost generated to around 13PSI so it is a really fine line as to where we want to limit it....

peterzs
27-02-11, 06:15 PM
All the best with the new set up, think I would have given up by now!!!!

p_b82
27-02-11, 06:51 PM
yeah i would have too if it was not for otherwise having a ?600 paperweight as a result of trading in my existing turbo for the hybrid!

but when it is all finished i will be happy with close to 180bhp that will do 44mpg at outside lane motorways speeds.

Hell i just done 1000miles in it in 6 days, so even with it poorly it is still being good to me seeing as i only went to the pumps twice after i filled it on Monday, and the car was never below 1\4 tank before i filled it either, last tank was 44.3mpg :)

peterzs
27-02-11, 06:57 PM
Just filled my one up, last time was a week before Christmas!!

Costs 133.9 / lt down here, must admit not been out and about as much.

p_b82
01-03-11, 11:04 AM
Well fuel pump arrived at 8:45 this morning smelling of diesel\degreaser, so a reconditioned unit rather than new. Not that i care it has a 12month warranty on it :)

Now i just need to sit down with Matt and do some of the sums to get the final system made up properly, hoping not too long now :)

peterzs
01-03-11, 11:09 AM
With Securicor escort I hope, hope it all goes well.

p_b82
11-03-11, 10:41 AM
right car delivered to matt yesterday and i get his mighty rover25 as a swap.. job for the weekend, replace a fuel pump...

i also just treated the car to a new pierburg MAF, so should get that back before i head up to re-collect the car next week, will prob swap it over at Matt's or maybe at home once i got a feel for it with the new pump on....

I have found a volenteer close(ish) to Matt to help us with the pressure testing on a stock car and with just SDI's (no remap) so that should hopefully be done in a few weeks too.

Then we will finally know what was 'safe' according to MGR and what a 'minor' 30bhp/30lbsft increase creates pressure wise.... the SDi's on their own are also well within safe limits as i am yet to hear of a single car where it hasn't been remapped having any form of coolant issues at all.

starting to finally tick the boxes to solve this with some hope of getting the solution right first time rather than 'a wing and a prayer' and development time/costs

peterzs
11-03-11, 10:51 AM
Hope it all goes well, my SDi's are sitting in a box, waiting for a bit warmer weather.

Think I will have to fit another clutch as well, as it didnt like going from 2nd to 5th when I pulled out of that layby the other day.

p_b82
18-03-11, 04:02 PM
whoop whoop.. i once more have a lovely purring* car again.. is so much quieter on idle, no more hunting, starts quickly, exhaust is cleaner and much smoother in general.

Oh and the added bonus was that the fuel pump i got was brnad spanking new.. not just cleaned up... so I got a masive bargain :D

One job left - for now - and it is all done and dusted!

*purring relative for a diesel

lawrence-zs180
18-03-11, 04:58 PM
woooooo fair play to you nice to see she is back on form... wheres the wood??!!!!

peterzs
18-03-11, 08:05 PM
Result Pete.

Glad your getting there.

p_b82
23-03-11, 02:03 PM
right so guess what.....

I bought annew pierburg replacement maf for my car, tuned in my scnagauge to read the signal it generates and test the old and the new in neutral at a few various rev points....

the old Maf was better below 2000 rpm than the new one, but from 2000 onwards the new one is giving a much better reading... I am not sure the units but it is *7* bigger with the new maf....

Down side is that flat spot makes the car even worse until about 1800 where it suddenly takes off.....

Ah so me thinks brainwave, i'll plug my old mafam back in.... and now i have no maf signal - so my 2nd mafam has died. I am going to try to get it repaired tho so this should go away...

there was a misterious small puddle under the car the other day too.. and it seems to be old coolant\diesel as matt lost quite a bit when he changed the pump over and didn't clean it all up... hoping now i have moved the car to a new spot it doesn't re-appear!

realy is a minor update really :lol:

peterzs
23-03-11, 03:07 PM
Your car certainly keeps you guessing, the MAF does affect the performance, more than I would have thought.

Have to get your old pump reconditioned and put in a bank vault, until required. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

zsserbia
16-04-11, 03:28 PM
Best of luck with your derv m8, never seen such determination... I salute you. If I may say, I always thought in tuning dervs most important things are not peak horses and torque, but to fine tune it to smooth the delivery of power and make torque curve as long as possible, whilst improving throttle response. Sorry to disappoint you but Vp 30 pumps are rated only 25 kw per cylinder and any forcing to pump more above this figure will have devastating effect to it's reliability... Pushing it's timing to soon may lead to hgf and rev it to hard you will overheat it and it will lead to "Transit" effect until it dies. 180+ hp is more likely to get out of common rail bmw's...

p_b82
04-05-11, 11:30 AM
been a while as ever and mainly due to everything behaving as it should.. more delays on my test mule helping out, but hopefully end of this month we should have the figures...

Coolant leak did re-appear, but thankfully it was down to a hose clip that was loose - and one tht was easy(ish) to get to to a lanky git like me....

Still not sorted my MAFAM out... really should take it off the car and bag it/send it to roverron for testing/repairing.

not sure when the testing is done the car will actually be worked on ,as i am less than month from moving house and money will be tight for a bit afterwards.. :(

I know we have touched on this in the other thread zsserbia; but there is no advance on my fuel map, it was never implemented to everything is how it was when came out the factory.

An extra volt or too to make the pump spin a touch quicker, and the rest is down to injectors and mapping... i have never had cavitation or anything like that so fuel supply is still fine.

Tractor syndrome is usually the timing solenoid failing not the pump internals themselves.. and i have just had that happen to my old pump. A 'common' failure for the vp37 in the MGR cars whether tuned or not :(

Veg oil is worse to the pumps than tuning - based on the threads on .org as my evidence :)

p_b82
02-06-11, 09:04 PM
hmm another month has passed and life for me has been pretty dammed busy.,......

Steve popped down to correct the paint on my car, then a few pics were taken showing off the shine the following day....

moved house a week ago and finally have a drive and a garage to play around with the derv myself :)

In terms of bring it back on topic to the thread, nothing to update really lol...

however a helper and Matt should have got together last week to do the testing for the EMP readings, however due to a miscomminication it was abandoned as niether have the boost guage they needed - it was still plumbed into my car. real D'OH moment that one!

however that got taken off today - first bit of free time - and so testing should happen soon as Matt should have it early next week....

then maybe a better update in the next weeks to follow.... *fingers crossed*

peterzs
03-06-11, 09:36 AM
Glad the house move went off OK, will make all the difference having a garage.

All the best, with the sorting boost project.

Steve does do a great job, makes it a lot easier to keep the standard up as well.

p_b82
23-08-11, 01:50 PM
well it has been an age since i last posted anything - and that is cos nothing much has happened :(

scheduling conflicts has resulted in no testing, and Matt doesn't want to build something up that is not required.... so bit frustrating, but there we go.

One thing that has happened, is that the car is up with Matt for it's MOT - booked in for Friday after being 2 weeks late (my bad!)... but i really hope other than the new tyres it needs up front it is going to play nicely.....

and that is because i have just about sucessfuly manged to get rid of the GF's 206 by buying a new shape 1.4 fester on Monday, on a 58 plate with only 8k miles on the clock. did not get a bargain, but feel that i have walked away with not too bad a deal though. (6 months tax, 36month full ford warrenty & the alloys refurbed; and a few other bits here and there). will probably pick it up on Friday or early next week...

It aint no ZS - but it is certainly better than 206 :D

p_b82
26-08-11, 04:26 PM
Well the ZS failed the MOT today :(

but the good news is that it was for a completely expected reason... the tyres were some-what marginal when i dropped it off and thought it would not get through - some have been ordered anyway.

turns out the inside tyre walls of the T1Rs had completely collapsed not the tread being being the cause fo failure!

These have been the only time i have run them and i have to say i really have not liked them at all; i wont ever be fitting them again... got me 2 top spec pirelli's to go instead (at a very good price :))

Oh and when i changed the bulbs i did not get the retaining clip in properly so the beam pattern was a bit off :laugh:

peterzs
26-08-11, 05:36 PM
Well done, for when the tyres etc. sorted, another year of fun, always good when they get through.

:happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2:

p_b82
07-09-11, 11:38 AM
well a quick note...

the EMP testing will be going ahead bar unforseen circumstances tomorrow evening - this will be OE injectors and then SDI's on an OE turbo.

if i ask nicely i might be able to get the same thing post remap - tho i know of more people we can ask should we want those figures.

Now as with all my car posts the bad news.

rust around the winscreen has caused a stress fracture - my insurance should cover it, but it needs to have autoglass inspect the screen, remove it, let matt sort it out at a bodyshop and then autoglass will come and refit it.

may as well get the other spray work done on that front bumper - and posibly sort out the stone chips on the bonnet while it is there....

looks like the little 25 will be with me a bit longer!

peterzs
07-09-11, 06:10 PM
Got some SDi's sitting in a box, waiting for the courage to bung them in, or not.

Be interesting to compare with Dans results.

p_b82
04-11-11, 09:36 AM
wow has it really been 2 months..... well i guess work has taken over a bit recently is my excuse... i got quite used the little r25 in this time.... will forget i only have 4500 rpm when i get the car back lol

so the EMP testing came back quite conclusive that on SDI's 2.0bar is about the peak it hits, so realistically we want to limit it to around 2.5 bar for our peace of mind

I have also had the winscreen rust sorted, the bumper, grill, roof and part of the doors re-sprayed i think the wings too... which will tidy up the front end a treat.

Matt is in the last phases of getting the EMP dumping system tested and fabricated and i hope to pick the car up sometime week of the 21st - Matt has been exceptionally busy recently with the end of the motorsport season looming...

looks like all the little bits are finally coming together and the project is getting closer to finishing...

Oh and for those that read MGE - there is a nice article in there this month (Thanks Ads :))

peterzs
04-11-11, 01:14 PM
Glad its all coming together.

I'm learning to live with the smoke, but dont know how the MOT boys will look at it.

Have an idea I'll be swapping injectors around!!!

Will have to get into W H Smiths and have a look at the MGE.

Hope we see the monster at one of the meets soon.

:):):):)

p_b82
03-01-12, 12:24 PM
Well nothing much happened over the last 2-3 months- other than matt had the car sorted the MOT nd had the respray due to the rust round the windscreen....

not sure if it is me - but it seems to creak a bit more now - but probably just summit else to get used to with the car.

Due to it being sat for quite a long time - the battery is getting rather weak - tried topping it up ad adding some epsom salts to it - but looks like new battery in the forseeable is required - is a pity as they are 72amp so not cheap...

the pressure relief is taking a new twist, and we are going down a slightly new route... dont want to say too much yet as it is still theoriectical stage but there is a chance this will work properly and sort it once and for all.... how long have i been saying that now!

hapy 2012 every-one :)

peterzs
03-01-12, 12:55 PM
Pride of Longbridge coming up soon, fancy meeting up at Hopwood Services with the monster.

Had to get a new one for mine the other year, Exide something or other, £70 fit it yourself job. Lasted 3 weeks and died, swapped over OK, but doesnt fill you with confidence. Son in law got one about the same time for their Ford Galaxy, £50 off ebay, that one lasted a week??? Give the company their due, sent another one and didnt even want the old one back.

Happy 2012 to you as well. Best of luck with the pressure relief, hope its sorted.

p_b82
06-04-12, 12:27 PM
can't believe how much time has passed... no more progress on the car - still waiting for an electronic box of tricks to be completed.... and that is going slow too :(

but as a birthday treat to myself and the car i happened to get my hands on Dave_MGT's wheels... the strights will be refurbed and either sold on or next year bung a set of winter tyres on them....

couple of rubbish pics of them now on the car :)

The more i see them the more i like them - apart from the exhuast the only other eternal mod i will do!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/IMG_0378.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/IMG_0380.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/IMG_0379.jpg

Dan1971
06-04-12, 12:29 PM
Would suit going a bit lower methinks ..... suit the car very well though.

zsserbia
06-04-12, 01:13 PM
I really like those wheels!

peterzs
06-04-12, 08:17 PM
Looking good see some brembo brakes sitting in there.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: :hooray::hooray:

p_b82
10-04-12, 02:41 PM
i thought about it peter - but if i did fit some then i would have to get a spacer (and longer studs) for the OE wheels should i wish to use them as winter options...... plus need the money i might have spent on them now :(

unfortunately - as my car hates me - the clutch went on me on sunday. due to the fact it was a paddle clutch - one min it was fine the next it was dead.... aa membership is quite useful when you have the relay and stay mobile options.... hire car for me a trip to the farm for the car..

needless to say yet another case of not being able to make it to POL :laugh:

zsserbia
10-04-12, 02:44 PM
Sad times... hope you'll get it sorted soon enough.

peterzs
10-04-12, 02:54 PM
Shame Pete, my clutch keeps on threatening to do something, but if I stop giving it too much torque it seems to get better!!!

Have priced up a replacement, just in case.

p_b82
10-04-12, 03:03 PM
the plus side is that due to the fact i am only getting 270lbsft i probably dont need to get another paddle - so something slightly 'nicer' should be able to be fitted...

and yes i am looking at it with cloud and silver lining pserspective s otherwie i think i would cry lol

Sonic_160zr
10-04-12, 07:42 PM
Gutted for you Pete, the car isnt making it easy for you is it! dont think ever managed to bump into you at PoL yet! Hope you get it sorted soon! Ill be back down south sometime soon so we should organise another SW meet. :D

Cheers,
Matt

Huffy
11-04-12, 09:50 AM
I've had my Kevlar clutch for two years now, and its done about 35k not a single slip? my torque is a little lower however ?

may be worth looking into......

p_b82
11-04-12, 10:55 AM
I was probably going to look at the next stage down friction plate on the helix side and re-use the cover - if possible.

the paddle clutch only lasted 45k miles - but that is 'average' for these...

I still have to remind myself that even with all my issues the car still does decent mileage, so wear and tear items will need to be changed as and when.

I had just hoped that it would last a bit longer than it did.. ah well. i wonder if any of my clutches will last beyond 50k as none have in the 95K miles the car has currently done :rofl:

p_b82
11-04-12, 10:58 AM
Gutted for you Pete, the car isnt making it easy for you is it! dont think ever managed to bump into you at PoL yet! Hope you get it sorted soon! Ill be back down south sometime soon so we should organise another SW meet. :D

Cheers,
Matt

I know Matt - i been planning on going for the past 3 years and everytime something comes up. Maybe she just hated her time in Brum originally and doesn't want to go back there..... (the car was registered to a MGR person working in Brum before i got it).

in the 9 months after it came out the factory it had the gearbox opened (and 5th put on backwards) and the winsdcreen replaced - badly... amongst a whole host of other 'treats' Matt has found over the years :laugh:

let me know when you next down this way and hopefully i will be there - if not in the ZS then the fester lmao

p_b82
19-05-12, 06:29 PM
well after a run of work matt finally got his nose into the g'box today and found that the clutch is fubar - technical term i think :rofl:

looks like a spring got thrown out the central plate and wreaked havoc on the rest of the clutch. the cover has been badly scored, the other springs could be turned by hand - and there was a huge amount of dust/corrosion build up inside - which was un-expected.

Also the release arm had siezed solid - which considering it was only free'd up 50k miles ago was quite odd... not the cause of the failure but was a contributing factor in the rapid demise at the end.

Also the hydraulic had popped the slave again - but that was probably just at the clutch died a death - and the fluid did not leak past the gator this time; but a quite seal rebuild and it is good to go again!

Typically though - the friction plate had a lot of meat left on it - so if it weren't for the springs giving up things would have been fine for a while longer....

Annoyingly as the cover is damaged i need new full clutch kit - but the flywheel avoided taking any damage.... going to go for a step down in aggressiveness either back to a more normal round plate or a weaker cover as i am not hitting the torque levels originaly expected....

On the pressure side still no news to report - the boy wizard making the box of tricks has had a issue with his programmer burning the chips out and so that is also currently on hold til he can get that sorted - dont want to plug something in that is tempremental!

one day.... just one day i might be able able to say this project is finished :laugh:

peterzs
20-05-12, 10:13 AM
Makes my latest problem of changing the heater resistors, small change.

Sorry its done the cover in, least it saved the flywheel and is a relatively straightforward but costly fix.

Hope he sorts the pressure side soon.

All the best with it.

:bow::bow::bow: :):)

Ritchy
20-05-12, 10:20 AM
was just thinking about this, hope its on the road soon

p_b82
26-06-12, 08:44 AM
Well clutch has been sorted and refitted - a nice £200 cheaper than the paddle unit previously fitted so even better news - hope this one lasts more than the 40k miles that my clutches seem to last!

Now as ever further proof that the car hates me.....

it has rusted through the coolant pipes on the passenger side - near where the AC pipework also runs.....

Xpart does not have any on the shleves and it appears that it is also no intention of making some up.

I advise any-one with a derv to check their status and give them a good hammeriting - esp if you live where lots of salt is put down or the seaside!

It looks like in order to get the car back to me quicker - and without the 'risk' of scrappy hunting for a set - i will get a custom section made up....

Once the coolant is able to circulate again - i can then get the ac pipework tweaked and redone so it might stop splitting every other year.....

some-times i wonder why i persevere with this car!

peterzs
26-06-12, 10:32 AM
Aggggggggghhhhhhhhh, cant be many bits to change, upgrade.

One step forward, etc.............

Hope you get this little problem sorted, dont know if Pirtek can make the pipes up if you take the ends to them??

p_b82
13-07-12, 10:21 AM
She lives...... and is not embarrasing herself by leaving a puddle underneath anymore... old coolant piped had rusted from the inside out - complete mess - one of the brackets had disolved as well....

Could not get OE pipes as NLA - and the custom ones were not going to be done in time and were going to be too much cost wise - so a breaker came to the rescue.. 'As new' from a late plate 25.

new clutch is a an absolutely dream - got a nice light feel in the action and very progressive.... back to OE feel i would probably guess.... no more permanent handbrake starts and huge drive-line shudder as it engages....

i should have taken some picks of the old unit - it was a mess....

Aircon pipes are also NLA or the one i need isn't and the guy needed 3 weeks lead time to create some new ones, can't sort AC without a running engine, and with no coolant pipes no running engine... so just ran out of time...

going to be able to give the car a good workout with a 1000+ mile trip lined up shortly....

have to say even after a 7 hour work day then a 7 hour stint of travel - the last 2 hours in the ZS were an absolute joy..... if you want to appreciate your ZS for a while - leave it parked up for 2 months and drive something else - even modern and getting abck in it will bring a smile to your face (and back :))

want to go and drive the car but slight 'scared' of it being friday the 13th :laugh:

stamford
13-07-12, 11:11 AM
I know what you mean when driving another car, I get that when I use the Landy for a while, getting in the zed is like a new car with some spring in its step. Good to hear it is getting sorted.

peterzs
13-07-12, 11:54 AM
Were you using the OAT stuff??

Thought it didnt corrode pipes etc..

Glad its all coming together.

p_b82
13-07-12, 01:27 PM
yes only ever had OAT in there - no idea what the hell did this much 'damage' not even a bit of road salt should have done it in this quick - but there we go...

prob find i had a set of coolant pipes not properly galvanised or somesuch lmao...

just bit the bullet and ordered a digimafam - want to pep it up a bit sub 2k.... yet another bit to add to my costs tracking lol

peterzs
13-07-12, 03:51 PM
When I went to a meet couple of years back, Will checked my pipes as they are a know weak point.

So not just your car suffering!!!

p_b82
16-07-12, 09:56 AM
the oil cooler pipes are def a knwo nweak point - and i have had those changed as well - the coolant ones are usually ok though!

p_b82
23-10-12, 04:07 PM
hmm 3 months, been a bit of a pain in the proverbial tbh....

My coolant pipes were a nightmare to locate - found some eventually on a scrapper that were in good nick and have been fitted...

then next to try to find was the A|c pipe - nothing from xpart - and nothing from a scapper.

in the end had to get it made up by pirtek - typically this has taken the whole summer to eventually happen - we were going to use a mobile A|c guy to create a pipe based on mine as a template - but he went bust after doing nothing for well over a month :(

During this time needed another MOT - has eaten another set of rear brakes (disks and pads). not the slide pin but something else siezed on one side...

It has had the underside treated for rust - i have some serious corrosion on my car - more so than would be expected.. so either bristol uses some nasty salt in winter or i have driven through something corrosive at some point :(

my magic box of tricks is still no further - though i have been in contact with the guy to try to give him a swift kick up the arse.. hoping he will at least have me a PCB printed shortly and then we can get at least a basic revision firmware loaded on.... then will be a case of tweak - then flash to get the setup correct....

Of course once i manage to get the system actually fabricated this is... will be pretty loud until it works as i dont want to cut into the downpipe until we get it doing what it is designed to!

probably will be 2013 that it is finished i expect now... and then it will need some running in so prob no track days for me for another year!

peterzs
23-10-12, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the update, one step forward springs to mind.

Has been a fight for you one way and another, be good when its all come together, have to have a meet at a pub or even a track day somewhere!!!

:beer2::beer2::beer2:

buff-1
18-02-13, 11:16 AM
any update hope everything is going good for you, might be able to help as me and a mate are embarking on this idea after decideding to stop SC project.

p_b82
18-02-13, 05:37 PM
no, no progress still waiting for the guy to build me the electronics before i can get it in the workshop again.

Reminds me i should chase him again - as he had started on coding the firmware a few months ago - but he changed jobs recently and has been a bit snowed under.

My advise would be not to use this turbo at all - go VNT - arduino can control it now or fit a larger wastegated turbo and suffer the lag. this has been one long issue after issue ;)

on the bad side it seems as though coolant is going some-where again.... as temp is still rock steady i am hoping it is yet another jubliee clip dying... but not holding my breath with this car :laugh:

buff-1
18-02-13, 09:42 PM
he has been messing around with a custom map and has had good results he was getting 159bhp with out intercooler r any other parts he wasnt happy woth he was worried wlcar was running quite high temps. maybe try a two turbo set up use a smaller turbo then a larger one hasnt been done before to a zs go bi-turbo :) could work.

p_b82
19-02-13, 03:28 PM
Yes - 160 is the limit you can get up to on the OE turbo - and even then the EGT's and EMP (exhaust gas temp and exhaust manifold pressure) are right up there on the limit.

A bi turbo would be a nice build - i thought about and and with hindsight would have been a lot cheaper in the long run - but space is an issue and will need a fairly large amount of fiddling to get it to fit properly.

VNT would be simpler - but space for the large ones (GT 22 family) is still very tight!

sneekyparrot
19-02-13, 04:29 PM
he has been messing around with a custom map and has had good results he was getting 159bhp with out intercooler r any other parts he wasnt happy woth he was worried wlcar was running quite high temps. maybe try a two turbo set up use a smaller turbo then a larger one hasnt been done before to a zs go bi-turbo :) could work.

why is he not using an intercooler?? would of thought that was near top of the list.

P.

buff-1
19-02-13, 06:18 PM
he just didnt get round to it, i might look into the bi-turbo idea could be a good idea but u say limited for space how much space?

p_b82
25-02-13, 12:57 PM
well if you look down the back of the engine there is not a huge amount of space - the XS is in better shapre than the ZR granted - but you need to decide if you cn fit a second turbo and fabiracte the amnifold - and pipe work - as well we new downpipe to make it all fit and clear the drive shafts.

i was going to go with a rear mounted one - if i went down that route as it was 'simpler' but more expensive in the metal work side of things.

think the biggest current snail that can be squeezed down the back is a gt 22 family unit - and that is with removing all existing pipe work and only using adaptor plates from the manifold - and a custom downpipe to the exhaust.

p_b82
20-03-13, 12:15 PM
so a rather interesting phone call this morning - and it seems there will be some changes afoot on the ZS on the suspension front on the cards.

dont want to say too much just yet - but a rather unique set of adjustable suspension has come up at a very good price... and i am probably going to change the springs for something a bit more refined for road use yet more capable under heavy loads (aka track or 'spirited driving')

Some maths needs to be done first, but to achieve this will need to use progressive springs...

once i pick up the brembodge setup from sneakyparrot - there will be very little left to alter on this car and will pretty much be the finished article... had better get the engine to stop blowing its HG and then i can really enjoy it at that point! :)

And here i was just the other month falling out of love with the car and thinking of selling up :laugh:

peterzs
20-03-13, 01:33 PM
Good news that you are still pushing the limits.

Sounds intriguing, suspension upgrade.

p_b82
17-04-13, 01:38 PM
So a little update......

I picked up (read paid for and they are at matt's workshop :laugh: ) a set of Leda custom made suspension from a car that was being broken by rally_matt - there were only two sets ever made, the set i now own and a set that Ralph bought. Matt thinks the set Ralph had has vanished or some-one does not know what they have on the car :)

finally arranged to pick up the brembodge setup from Paul this Saturday - as to when i fit it - will be another question i had best not answer :laugh: but hopefully not long....

And some minor progress on the turbo front... the hybrid might be going though.....

as they say watch this space.... :)

peterzs
17-04-13, 03:00 PM
Watching............with interest.

p_b82
31-05-13, 11:00 PM
what with my relationship breaking down and me becoming homeless in about 18 hours time the car has kinda been on the back burner for a bit...

But things are moving in the right direction though, and I now have sorted out the insurance on my little fiesta run about, so I plan to get the brembodge and suspension fitted, before the house and things i have to buy for it sucks my wallet dry....

hmm new washing machine or some bits for the car.... hmm hmmm...

Decided in the end to just go with the standard springs for now, and see how they sit and feel, and upgrade them at a later date if required..

Turbo situation is moving forwards, but being a bit more careful this time, so things should give some nice figures and reliability!

I'm wondering/hoping that by the end of the year things should be finally sorted on the car - man i have said that a lot over the years!

peterzs
01-06-13, 04:47 PM
Been some time but getting there, good luck on the move etc.

Always a launderette!!!

:happy2::happy2::happy2:

Mark S
02-06-13, 08:46 AM
the gtb generation of vnt turbo's are leagues ahead of the old vnt's such as the 2256 etc.

a turbo from a bmw320d (55 onwards) is a good one, or the 530d (04 onwards), or even a hybrid of the 2, like alpina did on the single turbo D3, needed 2k to come on boost, but was still strong at 5k.

Zsdturbo
22-06-13, 10:19 AM
I've got mg Zs Td 2005. I've got my hands on a rover 25 turbo with a sneaky 530d turbo hybrid inside. Was wondering what clutch would suit and head gasket and if I need head bolts. Currently the Zs has got air flow meter by pass,sdi injectors,remap,egr blanked, dark ice decat, dark ice top turbo pipe,power flow back box. Boost at 15psi. Standard clutch can't take any more lol. Any help would be much appreciated Richard

peterzs
22-06-13, 04:10 PM
Sounds a good spec TD, Just put a new std clutch in mine at 78K.

Zsdturbo
22-06-13, 04:57 PM
She's got standard hairpin alloys 205/50/16. Wheels spin on 1st pure clutch in second. I've looked at Kevlar clutch and helix but unsure which will suit?

peterzs
22-06-13, 06:30 PM
Think a few on here have put in upgraded plates in the TD.

Hope someone comes along with their upgrades.

p_b82
23-06-13, 02:40 PM
Maybe best to seperate this out into your own thread - but the OE spec clutch is good for 250lbs ft.

I went with a helix unit, expensive but tried and tested. the uprated friction plate and springs are holding 270lbsft at bay more than happily enough, so you dont need to go as high as a paddle unit.

Kestrel do a kevlar plate made to take whatever rating you wish - but it needs to have the flywheel re-ground (the Helix is a direct swap with no modifications).

there is some-one on .org who has just dropped in an uprated cover, but still using the OE friction plate and he got up to nearly 300lbsft feet with no slip, so that is an option to.

If you are using 'good' rubber and you get spin on the 16" wheels only suggestion would be to pick up a set of 17" or find a dif to fit in the box while you are doing the clutch. they wont cure it but they will help negate the symptoms a bit.... or dont stamp full throttle in first :D

p_b82
04-07-13, 07:23 PM
So Saturday the Derv goes off for a bit of some TLC..

Due to get the fairly unique suspension swapped in, the Aircon sorted *again*, the brembodge setup swapped on, a service, and a few other bits and bobs....

Not sure who long it will be gone for, but as i have a second car it is not a big deal if it is a while tbh....

soon the last thing left will be turbo only... and that is still moving in the right direction - albiet slowly as it is summer and busier once more for those that tinker with cars for a living it seems! (something about nice weather and long hours of daylight)

p_b82
11-08-13, 01:09 PM
quick update...

After mating the brembodge kit up (see other thread) there were a few issues with the bracket supplied that needed correcting, and so I am getting something made up to meet matt's requirements... Stronger material and slightly different fasteners and threading as a very brief summary.

The suspension has been fitted and is settling down - the spring rates noted so if I want to go progressive later I can easily work out the best way to tweak the setup...

A rather vague comment from Matt yesterday about some porsche parts being added to the car - and a partial rebuild of the rear end.... No idea about that but I wonder if there will be anything apart from the interior and the shell itself that is the same as how MGR built it soon :laugh:

It is due to go through the MOT once the work above has been done, and then that will just leave the turbo side that is progressing slowly and surely in the right direction....

I am however now slightly worried that with the ZS lowered a touch as a result of changing things, It will ground out on my unpaved steep lane i have to go up to get the car on the hard standing at my house....

So far the fiesta has been fine, but I have got a couple of choices only:

1)
Drive forwards up the lane and back into drive - then having to 3 point further up to drive back past the house to get out again.
2)
Drive up the lane, three point and drive straight onto the drive - just back out and roll down the hill.
3)
Back it up the lane, then drive in straight with backing out afterwards...

visibility is better to drive out straight tbh... but i am not sure that i will get the ZS up the lane as the holes are massive further up to turn it round again afterwards..... GRRR

I will have to cross this bridge when I get the car back i think - not worth fretting too much!

peterzs
11-08-13, 01:44 PM
or getting all the neighbours to contribute to buying some Type 1 limestone and filling in the holes.

talkingcars
11-08-13, 03:20 PM
A 1 tonne bulk bag of type 1 will be less than £50 delivered.

buff-1
17-09-13, 07:13 PM
have you got any 0-60 times would be nice to see how quick she is now?

p_b82
27-09-13, 10:15 PM
well currently is it infinite time to 60.... still laid up since before i went on holiday.

Not sure the times as it has been 3 years since i used all the power available - 0-60 is not good though as it is torque limited in 1st and 2nd.

30-90 however is a different matter - once not on the queen's highway of course!

p_b82
01-10-13, 11:35 PM
so a little bit of an update.......

the nice new brackets have arrived back - the person making them got weigh-laid with his proper job..... he works on bits of car worth a lot more than some old diesel rover*

Either way here it is....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/mms_20131002.jpg

You can just see the old one in the background.....

Shiny shiny :mbounce:

* I know it is an MG but most uninitiated still think of it as a rover as the mostly the same...

peterzs
02-10-13, 10:06 AM
another bit of the Jigsaw done.

p_b82
22-12-13, 02:01 PM
figured I ought to put an update on here, as ever it has been a while.

Car unfortuntely got neglected due to other commitments that Matt had (namely working for Nissan on the GT academy all summer on the support side) so the car has only just had the brakes and suspension sorted.

Currently the springs are 'aggressive' according to matt, so we will be looking to put a set of Eibacj progressive ones on there, he just wants me to drive it first so I can give him some pointers on how hard/soft we want the two rates to be....

Aircon is still playing up, and I think that is the last outstanding job on the car as we speak - had to have whole new rear brakes, calipers, disks and pads - been rebuilding them every year and they had seized again. Just could not be bothered with the hassle so should be good for a bit longer now.

Turbo side of things wont be sorted this year, due to time; but hoping in the not too distant future in 2014 should have something sorted out there....

Just means that the only thing I have to worry about is the quite significant surface rust my car is displaying... everything has been waxoiled last year it was, but maybe not in time... so maybe a difficult choice to make on the car's future if we can't keep on top of it :(

have to say in the wet weather i really miss the sure-footedness of the ZS with the ATB... the little fiesta on skinny tires just does not inspire as much confidence!

peterzs
22-12-13, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the update.

Nearly there by the sound of it, or at least all do-able.

Good luck with it and hope 2014 sees it up and running.

Drew
22-12-13, 04:21 PM
i got some stiff springs with helpers, seems to work pretty well on mine.

fwir, the std front gaz springs i got were 450lb, they were too soft on my setup (lots of spherical bearings) so they sent some 550's. they did feel better but for me a little too bouncy still or too hard depending on where i set the dampers.

so i went for 650lb front springs with 450lb helpers, then 450lb rears with 200lb helpers.

for me that works very well.

Drew

Supercharged_Z
22-12-13, 05:12 PM
wheres the rust?

talkingcars
22-12-13, 05:27 PM
I bet there is some behind the suspension in the front drivers arch.

p_b82
22-12-13, 05:33 PM
the rust is every-where at a surface level.

Matt can't explain it, but thinks i may have driven through something pretty corrosive at some point. the whole underside and anywhere not painted is showing signs apparently... I not stuck my head under so dont know for sure though :(

Thanks for the pointers Drew, I'll have to find out from Matt what we have got on there at the moment and any settings we decide on in time....

p_b82
19-01-14, 07:14 PM
Well the Zs is finally home and on the drive... it has not been a cheap holiday for it this time though, and she nearly decided to have an extended holiday due to me managing to break the suspension top mount within 500m of the workshop. thankfully it just pulled the topnut through the rubber bung, so a nice big washer (rover 25 suspension setup raided) and that should solve it - it isn't pretty but it will work :)

So this triup it has had custom brembodge carrier/caliper brackets made up, new springseats and associated gubbins for the adjustable suspension, new alternator as mine seized solid, new starter motor, new rear calipers (yearly refurb was getting ridiculous) rear disks/pads, and other ancilaries....

However I can say the car is sitting nicely lowered a touch, springs are 450lbs rated (front that is not known the rear as no number stamped on it), so quite stiff, but it feels a lot less crashy than before, even if i do feel more back through the bum as it were....

Brakes are simply mind boggling how well they stop compared to the OE setup, running on DS3000 pads and the grooved disks i picked up from sneakyparrot.

On a plus not the lumpy idle has been solved as the cambelt balance weight had been sheered, or a bolt associated with it (wasn't listening too carefully) so finally the ZS is starting instntly and sitting nice and smoothly idling for the first time in years.

Just need to either be patient with the turbo side, or cast caution to the wind and get another untested unit fitted and see what goes pop first this time ;)

Hopefully 2104 will see the project in terms of new mods finished.

Will probably be doing a strip down, and deep rust proof later in the year or early next year as things are getting bad on the shell, and while swapping things over might be an option, I kinda dont want to part with this one as I have had it so long!

It is so good to be back behind the wheel of a ZS again, and use that effortless wave of torque :)

peterzs
19-01-14, 07:28 PM
sounds good, have fun.

welshone
19-01-14, 08:19 PM
Hopefully 2104 will see the project in terms of new mods finished.

Nice to see your not rushing and doing the job properly :laugh:

on a serious note great work :)

p_b82
01-02-14, 10:50 AM
heheh - oops typical type from me there :)

well ignoring the fact it is filthy - running down the A34, and the M4 will not leave it clean, here are a couple of before/after shots of the wheels/suspension :)

Brake Front & height before
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/IMG_0379.jpg
Brake rear & height
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/IMG_0380.jpg
overal but crap angle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/IMG_0378.jpg

And After
Front:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/DSC_0008-1.jpg
rear
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/DSC_0081.jpg

Overall
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/DSC_0009-1.jpg

Made the most difference to the rear to be honest - but even so I'm liking the stance and the ride is not overly compromised either :)

p_b82
24-02-14, 09:21 AM
just thought that while it is not a direct impact on me, some-one I am in touch with on .org has managed to break the 200bhp barrier on the L series.

He has done it with a VNT turbo, and upgraded injectors from SDi's, and a custom built controller for the Vane operation of the turbo.

Why have I added this to my thread - well I now know it is doable, and as such know that I want to aim for this - even if I fall slightly short!

So my options are to find a suitable turbo, either get adaptor plates or a custom manifold (this is the prefered option for aethetics and packaging rather than any massive gains) and get a controller to operate the VNT.

The latter is a choice of two options - beg the guy to build me the same controller he built for himself - or hand build a kit from an Arduino base controller.

the Turbo front then needs to then be finalised - it is still a case of lag verses top end, but if i can find something that spools at 2500 as mine does currently then I am laughing....

the research commences, and hopefully the project will be continued in the nearish future :)

ZS Phil
24-02-14, 09:55 AM
Yeh, hes done well.

I just need to get some custom injectors calibrated then my hardware will be in place, I'll then have another crack at it. I've been using the Arduino for well over a year, nearly 2 in fact and it has been completely reliable so can recommend from that point of view. They are also dirt cheap to make and you will always know exactly what to do should ever it need replacing. There are some tweaks to the hardware which are required to make it work in our Rovers but it is all well documented on .org as I'm sure you've seen.
I think getting the right turbo is key and fro the sounds of it, the turbo he has used is far from off the shelf so not sure how willing he will be to tell people the exact specs.
If you decide to go down the Laguna 1852v route then obviously I'll offer any help I can, loads for you to see in my build thread about how I did adaptor plates and clocked it slightly though if youre interested :). Probably not the ultimate solution for power but I think it will do well and is a relatively straight forward fit as it is orientated almost perfectly from stock so no moving actuators etc is required, it doesnt even need to be clocked really, it was just a little extra I did to help the oil flow through it.
Have you got a short list of turbos yet?

p_b82
24-02-14, 01:07 PM
Not so much a short list, but am going to look into the VAG GTB's - much more pricey I know, and not as easy to direct fit, but doable with an adaptor, but they seem to have very nice response times compared the GT family.

The stock GTB1756 maybe a touch small, so it could be a GTB2056.....

Or a crazy hybrid as really I think we need to be inbetween these two families for responsiveness vs top end...

Thanks a lot for the offer of the help - I am waiting to see how your's works with the new injectors tbh, as that might sway me again.... so difficult to decide but 200 is my aim if we can keep EMP and EGT down and lag no later than 2500 as per my current setup.

peterzs
24-02-14, 02:46 PM
Good luck with it, hope you find a suitable Turbo.

p_b82
12-06-14, 12:29 PM
I know things have been quiet for a long time but I am pretty sure that I have decided on the route I want to go, and so now it is working out the best approach.

I am going to fit a GTB2056 family turbo, as I like the fact they start to generate decent boost at low rpm's and should be able to top out at 200bhp (maybe a fraction more) on the Lseries.

My challenge, has been which one to go for the options are below:

VAG units - these can fit with a bit of clocking (as well as a vaccum WG swap - on all turbo's i have found in fairness) and an adaptor to the existing manifold. but they are the most expensive to get your hands on on ebay or new it seems. they have been tried and tested in the VAG cars and give good results so is not so much of an unknown.

Volvo units - these have the added 'bonus' of being water cooled, so while not really a huge factor to consider on the derv, a belt and braces approach should it get tracked a and running sustained boost for longer than normal under road driving conditions. It will most likely need to have have a custom manifold to make it fit. they can be had cheaply enough on ebay, that a second hand one and a rebuild would be less than a VAG unit. but the manifold costs would bump it over I think.

Merc units - not really spent too much time looking at them in detail, but same as above for the volvo - but not water cooled, and a bit pricier to get on ebay.

control wont be done through the Arduino route, as have an agreement for one of Dakta's box of tricks - which version is not specified as yet, but the basic one will do the same as the arduino, and means I dont have to build it myself. which is a bonus if you have seen my soldering (in)ability - it is functional, but not pretty!

I'm looking to get the ball rolling with this fairly quickly, but have some difficulties to work out regarding any fabrication and fitting, so most likely this will take longer than planned, but hopefully not too late.

I will run it on the existing map and injectors I have fitted for now, and then most likely swap out for some 200TDI hybrids that Phil spec'd in his thread and get it mapped to suit them.

the additional flow they have will hopefully remove any lag issues as a result of my current setup.

It will also show just how tidy we can make the curves with a fairly decent, before and after approach on the Dyno.

so there you have it - hopefully some more progress to follow in not too long a time frame :)

peterzs
12-06-14, 12:31 PM
Sound interesting, good luck with it.

ZS Phil
18-06-14, 07:13 PM
Just seen this! The plans sound good, can't wait to see the results.

Just out of interest which vag specifically are you looking at taking the GTB from?

p_b82
19-06-14, 08:42 AM
it is anything that has the 3.0 fitted that uses it as I understand it (but got part numbers etc from darkside's site) - still trying to decide on the budget to get new or go second hand and rebuild.

Lots of cowboys out there, and still deciding on the manifold or not... no-one has changed the exhaust side, and I wonder what gains can be had right there.... but they are not cheap for one off's :(

ZS Phil
25-06-14, 11:00 AM
it is anything that has the 3.0 fitted that uses it as I understand it (but got part numbers etc from darkside's site) - still trying to decide on the budget to get new or go second hand and rebuild.

Lots of cowboys out there, and still deciding on the manifold or not... no-one has changed the exhaust side, and I wonder what gains can be had right there.... but they are not cheap for one off's :(

Sounds good to me. Probably the route I'd be going down if I was to take mine to the next level but probably a bit far considering its my daily driver.

I'd still include an external gate as a safety measure, shouldn't be too much bother especially if you are going custom on the manifold. Was thinking it might be possible to get a darkside VW manifold welded up to some custom plates to bolt to the L series head. Would be pretty much a bolt on job then just depends on the spacing on the pipes and if they match the exhaust ports. You'll need deep pockets though!

p_b82
25-06-14, 09:43 PM
Not sure about space, and they are too costly to buy on the off chance if you ask me...

So would rather get it done by some-one - doing a job right once and all that.

just need to get some time/money cobbled together to do it. both are proving a bit of a challenge right now though.

p_b82
17-07-14, 09:53 AM
So the news that I know you all have been waiting for I have decided on a turbo and ordered it.

It is a GTB1856VK hybrid designed/spec'd for the vag 1.9TDI engines that share similar fuel pumps to the L series, but do flow more top end than us for some reason.

once all mapped up and new injectors, it should crack the 200bhp barrier with a little spare overheads. but until then, will mean I can use the car without blowing the HG... which is an improvement in my book over anything!

Will be fitting it with a custom manifold rather than an adaptor plate, and finally sorting the airbox side of things out as well, as the intake will not be a direct fit.

Work is currently scheduled for Sept, so I dont have long to get all the pieces together!

Oh and didn't pick the 2056, as could not find one I wanted to use!

peterzs
17-07-14, 05:11 PM
Wait to see the results with interest, well done.

p_b82
05-08-14, 08:21 AM
Turbo has been built and will be shipped to me on monday due to being at Bloodstock over the weekend.

Sept fitting still slated, with OCt/Nov/Dec used for injector upgrade and then mapping tweaks, to see what this unit can generate without blowing itself up!

peterzs
05-08-14, 09:21 AM
Keep everything crossed, for you.

p_b82
12-08-14, 02:28 PM
Well Turbo is here.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/DSC_0119.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/pretty_bird/DSC_0118.jpg

Hopefully the manifold being made up by some-one else for his ZR shortly by AMWautosport (used to be AAautosport), will be able to be used for me as well, as he is getting it jigged so it will be reproducible.

Then it is the controller, which has been sent off to get the pcb printed, so hopefully will arrive in the next few weeks.

then oil feeds, new downpipe, and possibly some actuator fiddling and/or clocking of the turbo pending how the manifold sites everything...

then get it running on current injectors and mapping then bump it up for some serious power afterwards.

I dont plan to go this high, but on the VAG's this unit has seen close to 250bhp, so I should get 200 with it, and more importantly not destroy itself :)

peterzs
12-08-14, 04:00 PM
Sounds good.

:wizard::wizard::wizard: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

dakta
30-08-14, 02:16 AM
I don't come on here much Pete, but nice to see you're getting moving :P

Regarding the vane control computer, I'm being held up a bit - I've ordered some pcb connectors for the connections but a week on im still waiting :S I hope they don't all come through next week as i'm quite busy with remaps :/ be just my luck!

Once they've come it's the test power up and if the circuit checks out okay i'll start adapting the firmware to fit.

Might be a few firmware updates too as development progresses but it's as easy as swapping a chip from the board.

http://s15.postimg.org/tyummhq8r/10628562_10152726205496392_1126234541111148136_n.j pg

Do let us know how you're getting on with the turbo and all!

p_b82
30-08-14, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up, no ETA on the manifolds yet myself, so we are not urgent time wise yet, but I'll be running the ZS up to Matt before I head off to the states mid sept.

If nothing has happened by then I'll put every-one in touch with each other and let you all work it out while I am away lol.

By the end of this year, I *am* going to use full throttle again though! :D

dakta
30-08-14, 05:47 PM
of course you will :)

the bits I were moaning about not coming have come, I spoke too soon! So things will progress at this end as soon as is realistically possible. :)

p_b82
15-09-14, 01:55 PM
Well the car has gone back to the farm in Silverstone to have a nice stay with Matt and the VW in the unit next door!

I may end up having my own custom manifold made, as the lead time for AMWmotorsport is looking to be a bit longer than I need - partly down to the other guy taking a bit longer to get his hands on his turbo and partly Ade's workload... but we will see.

Plans as it stands for the car:

MOT & service
Waxoil and clear up the surface rust on the car - It was an advisory last year :(
fit the new Turbo
Fit custom exhaust manifold
Build and fit custom airbox
New exhaust downpipe - if the existing one can't mate up easily
Battery to boot to give more space for the airbox
Sort the cracked bumper it picked up last year with Matt
Have ECU remapped to suit the new VNT controller - done by post with failsafe values to start with
Fit the VNT controller

This will take a few months at least I am sure, as things have not been able to fall into place for a quick turn around I was hoping for, but should be done before the end of teh year.

Then I will get some more injectors made up, and then book it in for a long dyno session to remap again to suit these new injectors - smoke being an issue for VNT's and the vane getting clogged, but more fuel = better spool so there is a balance to be had!

p_b82
08-05-15, 01:44 PM
Right so been an age since I updated this.....

So the car went for the holiday for:
MOT & service
Waxoil and clear up the surface rust on the car

It also got another respray for 'free' - Matt paid for it himself as the job done previously was so poor, and the guy went out of business, Matt wanted to get it done right for me

I got the ecu mapped to take a shed load of fuel out for current HG longevity....

But here is the new part....

The new exhaust manifold has been fitted with a gtb1765v on another car, and the controller is doing it's thing and so far no explosions.... so....

I've put in an order for the manifold, new downpipe and oil drain.. I can get my hands on my own controller in a few months too, so then it is just fitting it all together - with the moving of the battery to the boot and the new airbox.

the great news, is that my map has taken the requirement for the MAF out so, I now have a simplified process for the airbox..

then decide on remaping with the current injectors, or to just throw in the larger 200TDI's and be done with it in one go!

ZS Phil
08-05-15, 02:59 PM
Matt sounds like a good guy to deal with.

Who is it you get to do your mapping?

I saw Charles' VNT install at POL, the manifold looked awesome but he was saying that you cant get to 2 of the bolts in the middle due to the pipe routing. He reports no leaks though.

If you are worried about soot, I'd go for the SDIs to be honest. Getting the 200 tdis completely smoke free with the VNT will take some real dyno time I would have thought. That said, I really do think its possible... really pleased with the way mine are performing at the moment.

dakta
08-05-15, 03:44 PM
Excellent stuff pete.

I'll get you a controller built, I do want to revise the hardware slightly but nothing major. Charles's controller has been very comfortable to work with, functionally speaking.

I can build you a replica controller to charles, so you can have one in as little as a couple of weeks but I am making a change (simply due to availability of parts) so you might want to hang on. Up to you really.

As discussed, you can get rid of maf sensor, no need for it at all. Your egr is disabled in the soft also iirc.

p_b82
08-05-15, 04:54 PM
Matt sounds like a good guy to deal with.

Who is it you get to do your mapping?

I saw Charles' VNT install at POL, the manifold looked awesome but he was saying that you cant get to 2 of the bolts in the middle due to the pipe routing. He reports no leaks though.

If you are worried about soot, I'd go for the SDIs to be honest. Getting the 200 tdis completely smoke free with the VNT will take some real dyno time I would have thought. That said, I really do think its possible... really pleased with the way mine are performing at the moment.

The man commented below took the fuel out for me - was just a send off the ecu job, but I was getting fed up of the HG risk, so put something safer in place.

I might be able to get the manifold fitted a bit easier with the ZS - bit more space to play with - it was fitted on a test engine, so it must be doable - just a case of the right tools to do it maybe *don't know*

Yeah I am really in two minds about this one - the turbo is 200+ capable (more like 240 on the vag's) so It can take more fuel than the SDi's can deliver... as you rightly say though it is going to take quite some sessions on the road/dyno to get the two working in harmony.

the fact you were able to take the fuel out and get a decent haze only suggests that it is not base atomisation at fault here - it is not great, but it is not 'too bad' either.... so something we can work with... i think with the progressive throttle elements can get round the soot issues personally - both in mapping and use of right foot...

Oh and Dakta - no need to rush, nothing to be fitted until the parts are made - so i'll hang on for now :)

dakta
08-05-15, 04:59 PM
well it won't be too long because I need a vnt controller too, so ill steal one from my own batch :)

dakta
25-05-15, 07:07 PM
Bit of a teaser for you pete :)

Plenty 'o boost with this controller config!

http://s2.postimg.org/5wik4clfd/boostlog_charles.jpg

p_b82
28-05-15, 01:43 PM
Bit of a teaser for you pete :)

Plenty 'o boost with this controller config!

http://s2.postimg.org/5wik4clfd/boostlog_charles.jpg

Nice :D

Need to go and see the injector person, but work is getting in the way, as well as send off my turbo to Ade for fitting/matching with the manifold and DP.

dakta
31-05-15, 12:47 AM
No rush, I've been called to one side to disassemble some marelli multijet and delphi stuff so I'm not exactly got a lot in the time front either :(

We'll get there though. It's nice to have you pioneering again :)

p_b82
05-06-15, 01:19 PM
heheh, well bit behind the actual pinoeering curve here apart from one one front..

New injectors are calibrated and secret squirrel nozzles are fitted.... just need to pick them up, and some washers to trial fit/run them on the current map... will right foot limit, but want to see what idle does, and some basic running etc.

Don't want to say anything too detailed about them at this point, as they might not work, but fingers crossed they solve the atomisation issues, and flow a little more than SDI's.

peterzs
05-06-15, 05:17 PM
Good luck, with them.

;););)

dakta
10-06-15, 03:41 PM
:D

p_b82
12-06-15, 11:04 AM
Secret squirrel injectors are in (after losing a clamp bolt and then needing new leak off hose).... and for a very short shake down run, I will say the following:

Fuel I do not think is going to be a problem with these - on the previous map the hybrids hardly smoked at all on part throttle, and I never went above 70% throttle.

Now there is a large amount of smoke..... Too much for the current turbo, but hopefully not too much for the new one, if anything they might be just about right to reach full potential....

Have to say they are very smooth on idle.... and got good response off boost. I can't compare them to 200TDI's but I think they are not quite as 'extreme' as those.

Now the decision to take them out until the new turbo goes on, or leave them in and try not to smoke the world out... they will result in a lot of bumper cleaning me thinks!

peterzs
12-06-15, 01:43 PM
every trip for me, p_b82, with spirited driving. !!!

:oops::yikes::yikes::yikes: