PDA

View Full Version : Newbie about to make a purchase

P4u1
22-12-09, 05:51 PM
Hi Guys,

I apologise in advance, as I always hate this type of post!!

Tomorrow, I'm off to look at 2005 ZS 1.6 110 +, I know it won't be fast but I need a car that my GF can learn to drive in.

The car in question seems well specced, in good condition, 50k and FSH.

Am I right in thinking that it will be coming up for a big service, cambelts etc. How much am i look at?

Is there anything I should look for when viewing the car? any advice would be much appreciated!

It terms of pricing, I think i can get it for around 2k - is that a good deal??

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Maxfly
22-12-09, 07:54 PM
nae bother mate, always welcome these questions:)

The cambelt is due every 90k or 5/6 years iirc, only one on the 4 pot K so that shouldn't be too bad cost wise.
Check for signs of HGF, or if it has been done already what else was done at the same time as they won't just go by themselves.
check all controls on the dash work tickety boo.
check fuel tank as they cut back on underseal from about 04 on and although it isn't usually that bad if someone has done the fuel tank themselves all the better.
check horn and alarm works, that all doors lock off the fob.
check condition of seats- excess wear or the bottom squab making an escape from the seat itself.
There was a recall to stop windows going down when intermittant wiper was on find out if this has been done if not it is an easy fix anyhoo:)
Check exhaust- should be a new one round about this age or check old one isn't for the off.

Thats most of what i can think of right now, hope it helps:)

Ritchy
22-12-09, 07:57 PM
cambelts due at 90k 6 years, theyreactually pretty nippy, they weigh roughly the same as a zr, and still have the good suspension on it, look at the colour of the header tank when buying it, the coolant should be red and clean as well as the bottle, if its not its a sign the heats on its way, also look at the oil for any signs of imulsification, check the heater blowers working on position 1 and 2 as well, if its not you can start to haggle him down a bit, 2k is cheap, espiecially for a 05 plate car, if the head on its way out you can knock a lot off it, like £600 tops, the job itself done properly would cost about £400 £500 done properly, check the seat bolsters for rips as well

Ritchy
22-12-09, 07:58 PM
beat to it, also check the handle surrounds arent broken, they will come away from the body when you pull them if they are

ZS
22-12-09, 08:11 PM
The 4 pot cambelts are easy to change... cost me £25 on the ZS120...
The 6 pot cambelts are a pain to change... cost me £450 (iirc) on the ZS180 (main stealer though)

stamford
22-12-09, 08:41 PM
All pretty much covered here, sounds like it could be a bargin buy, good luck and let us know how you get on.