PDA

View Full Version : Project Drive

Hambo-180
23-12-09, 07:10 AM
folks, seen Project Drive mentioned on here a few times but not sure what its all about, i'm guessing its something MG/Rover did but what was it?

P.S Merry Christmas and all the best for 2010.....:beer2:

stamford
23-12-09, 07:30 AM
It was the code name for the cost cutting exercise carried out when I think Phoenix took over and the face lifts were launched. Lack of sound proofing, some arch liners, poor undersealing etc. Although the later cars were more modern with improved interiors and bodykits, the quality of the finish and build was not as good as earlier ones.

I'm sure others will add more to this.

Hambo-180
23-12-09, 08:16 AM
ah right, cause i'd seen a couple of threads going on about the lack of underseal on the newer models.....

skyblueads
23-12-09, 08:25 AM
Staff could earn a bonus if they suggested something for project drive and it saved the company money. So if a line worker suggested, for example, getting rid of the lamp in the TF's bonnet, they did it, and it proved to save the company £X then the worker would get a bonus. It worked on a sliding scale too, I believe.

Zippy Saloon
23-12-09, 11:16 AM
Huge difference in "feel" between my '02 ZS and the T reg 400 we briefly had. Later ones got even worse.
Wonder how much some of the deletions actually saved - things like doing away with the flock lining in the glovebox, must have saved about 15p but feels really cheap without it.

skyblueads
23-12-09, 11:40 AM
Strangely when the mkII dash went into my mkI it had a lot more thick soundproofing behind it. Having said that it might have been added by the previous owner.

peterzs
23-12-09, 11:46 AM
Is that why I dont have a light in the boot?

Always thought it was a bulb out and was one of the things I was going to do.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

skyblueads
23-12-09, 01:02 PM
Hmm. I'm not sure. Could be, don't know if mkII's had bulbs in the boot or not!

grimmy
23-12-09, 01:04 PM
Hmm. I'm not sure. Could be, don't know if mkII's had bulbs in the boot or not!
Mine has also has sound proofing under the bonnet and a decent underseal around the fuel tank.

BUCKYDEVIL
23-12-09, 02:14 PM
Load's of info on project drive can be found at.
http://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?drivef.htm

BUCKYDEVIL
23-12-09, 02:18 PM
Project Drive didnt really effect the ZS as much as 75/ZT

They didn't have so much of a problem with the 45/ZS, and they said that these cars weren't too badly affected by project drive so much - hence the reason why they said the MGZS V6 saloon is the one to get as a good second-hand bargain.

starfire039
23-12-09, 02:39 PM
Strangely when the mkII dash went into my mkI it had a lot more thick soundproofing behind it. Having said that it might have been added by the previous owner.

I've also noticed this- there was a white sort of material behind the dials and behind the dash. It seemed better soundproofed than the mark 1 dash!

petet16
23-12-09, 03:50 PM
mk2 should have a bootlight, at least both of mine have.
I've also replaced the 2 soundproofing boards at the bottom of the dash.

Simon's ZS-120
23-12-09, 09:07 PM
and did you know on the mk2 model zs they dont come with slam panels in the rear so if you get rammed its a right off if your unlucky i wander how much of a bonus that guy got for that one

Southside_ZS
23-12-09, 10:10 PM
and did you know on the mk2 model zs they dont come with slam panels in the rear so if you get rammed its a right off if your unlucky i wander how much of a bonus that guy got for that one

Neither did the mk1, or rover 400, or 200/25/ZR

The last few ZS's i've had i've fe-fitted the underbonnet soundproofing using one form a Rover 400.

Hambo-180
24-12-09, 06:55 AM
Staff could earn a bonus if they suggested something for project drive and it saved the company money. So if a line worker suggested, for example, getting rid of the lamp in the TF's bonnet, they did it, and it proved to save the company £X then the worker would get a bonus. It worked on a sliding scale too, I believe.

so was this just for the 45/ZS, 75/ZT or did it effect earlier models like the 200? Reason i'm wondering is cause i used to have a Rover 220 GSi before i bought the ZS and the build quality on the GSi was far better than my ZS...

skyblueads
24-12-09, 08:54 AM
No, it didn't affect stuff like the 200, purely a MG-R cost-cutting exercise.

Maxxed_Ross
24-12-09, 11:42 AM
luckily most of the bits they took off are easy enough to find and put back on again!

I tried the under dash sound proofing from a R400 but the mk2 dash had loast most of the mounting points - but like above I discovered later on that the dash was full of the stuff anyway!

My two biggest hates with the Mk2 ZS was the lack of boot lid lining (makes the car look so cheap!) and the lack of a front towing point... who the hell though losing that was a good idea???

Southside_ZS
24-12-09, 12:19 PM
Most of project drive happened in 2003

will-w
24-12-09, 10:41 PM
... and the lack of a front towing point... who the hell though losing that was a good idea???

There are two... At least there are on my derv :unsure:

And I have a boot light in my mk2 Saloon... Are you sure your bulb hasn't blown Pete? :)

Simon's ZS-120
25-12-09, 09:45 AM
they could have saved even more money on the mk2 i have 2 toeing poings on the front but you cant gain access to them as the front bumper is lower than them so if you did get towed you would proberly lose the bumper

peterzs
25-12-09, 08:35 PM
And I have a boot light in my mk2 Saloon... Are you sure your bulb hasn't blown Pete? :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Will, must check in the boot and see.

:wave::wave::wave:

talkingcars
26-12-09, 08:26 AM
Do later cars have headlight leveling?

Southside_ZS
26-12-09, 10:55 AM
Do later cars have headlight leveling?

Yeah

Maxxed_Ross
28-12-09, 12:59 AM
I thought they all had to by law incase you have alot of weight in the back?

It's not automatic like new cars though

will-w
28-12-09, 02:01 AM
they could have saved even more money on the mk2 i have 2 toeing poings on the front but you cant gain access to them as the front bumper is lower than them so if you did get towed you would proberly lose the bumper

I've used mine twice now and have managed to keep my bumper both times!

Granted they were only used to cover short distances, but there didn't appear to be too many problems.. I find them invaluable when jacking the front up though! :shifty: