PDA

View Full Version : The End Of Car Meets.... BY LAW!!

ZS
23-12-09, 08:42 AM
since july this year stoke on trent council has been pursuing the removal of "BOY RACERS" car meets and cruises from the site of the formal garden festival in stoke.

they now have permission to hand out various penalties to boy racers and the like in the area of the festival park. and what do i find most interesting of all.....when the police were asked about the injunction they said

“Car cruising” has been defined as a congregation of the drivers of two or more vehicles between the hours of 7pm and 7am within Festival Park. Additional rules apply.

so by that respect if we were to have a car meet at festival park it would be termed illegal.

they are expecting to extended the ban to daytime sat and sunday...........

warwickshire council has applied for summat similar and they expect to win a ruling where police can intercept a convoy of 5 or more cars they term "could be racing"

many councils across the country are expected to follow this lead

the end of the car meet as we know it?

Phate
23-12-09, 08:48 AM
My understanding of that is they can only do something if you are all driving together?

stamford
23-12-09, 08:54 AM
They can't implement this, how can they? So if we had a convoy of 5 ZS's how are they to say we are racing or indeed know each other? Ballcocks I say! Makes me want to do it all the more to see what is done. The world has gone daft, so how will they differentiate between modern car clubs on a run and those of say classic car clubs doing their regular trips across the countryside from point to point?

What we need is a cloaking device, at a touch of a button disappear or better still turn your car into one of these:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:AFVAvqC2MVbQCM:http://www.motoringpicturelibrary.com/docs/pic1110c.jpg (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.motoringpicturelibrary.com/docs/pic1110c.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.motoringpicturelibrary.com/preview_image.asp%3FfleID%3D3707&usg=__0AT3cfGKRcu1SQJi_JkCMfNCGrE=&h=326&w=396&sz=33&hl=en&start=1&sig2=ZPBu6PV-qcm2di279Hri-Q&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=AFVAvqC2MVbQCM:&tbnh=102&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dinvalid%2Bcarriage%2Bblue%26hl%3Den%2 6lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26rlz%3D1R2GGIE_en%26sa%3DN%26 um%3D1&ei=XegxS-GbKYeI4QbOv_2pCA)

Don't tend to see more than 2 off at a time do we!

I'd like to hear what our resident officers have to say on this, could be a load of tosh or the local council tarring everyone with the same brush as usual.

arwilson80
23-12-09, 09:22 AM
So 2 ZS' sitting opposite each other in a 'Tesco' car park would legally be classed as a meet and could [possibly] result in some sort of fine... Seriously...? :crazy:

stamford
23-12-09, 09:29 AM
Guess we are stuffed as we look like a Rover 400 and a 45!

So those that own 2 or more similar cars will get a visit then! 'looks like you are having a meet up your driveway sir, do you know that is illegal?'

arwilson80
23-12-09, 09:37 AM
That's different though (i bet). It's private land.

Dan1971
23-12-09, 09:40 AM
:hmmm: :police:

Got to say that I'm not surprised, although the enforcement aspect will be difficult if large numbers are involved.

We use "Dispersal Notices" effectively for dealing with groups of anti-social youths hanging around intimidating the public. This effectively means that we can move them on, by force if necessary if they are within a particular defined locality. The issue here is that a notice has to be made known publicly and the area it covers defined.

There is a term we use as "within the spirit of the legislation" which is basically using the legislation in circumstances that it was not designed for.

If a group of MG drivers met in a car park for a chat and a coffee, and this legislation was used, it would not be "within the spirit of the legislation". However, to be honest, I support it's use in respect of the mixed marque, hand-brake turn in McDonalds car park brigade on a Saturday night.

I'd be interested in the specific legislation, Act and section, being used.

stamford
23-12-09, 09:40 AM
I've had two ZS's parked outside my house with another up the driveway, not uncommon for me. So what about the pub meets we organise or indeed bbq's? It won't come to anything as I cannot see how they can police it or indeed enforce such a ruling. If anything it'll provoke people into organising rallies just to **** folk off and prove a point.

stamford
23-12-09, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback Dan. Common sense shall prevail!

SheppeyTrio
23-12-09, 09:49 AM
My god, i've got 2 in my drive, i'm gonna get nicked!!! :police:

peterzs
23-12-09, 09:50 AM
Most of ours are held on private land, Pubs, The Witterings etc. so should be safe.

Roll on the Spring and we can have a meet and put it to the test!

:yes::yes::laugh::laugh:

stamford
You're doomed I tell thee! :hang:

peterzs
What me????

stamford
23-12-09, 09:56 AM
No sheppey, we posted the same time Pete!

SheppeyTrio
23-12-09, 09:59 AM
That's it. The otherhalf is gonna have to park down the other end of the road!! LoL

grimmy
23-12-09, 10:29 AM
What a pile of crap whats next banning football fans from grounds,alcoholics from alcoholics anonymous as they all are doing the same thing, this country needs to give itself a right good shake and these clowns who sit in council chambers making these decisions need to have a look at themselves.You can hardly walk down a street at night without the fear of groups of kids attacking you, yet you can't meet up with like minded people who own cars.So would the last person to leave the country turn out the lights.

R8NMG
23-12-09, 10:42 AM
Don't know the ins and outs of the law but I have to half agree with it. I am perfectly happy with boy racers being removed from hanging around McDonalds car park, Tesco car parks or any leisure parks car parks. I am personally quite fed up with the racket (what they would call exhausts) from their banged up Corsas or Saxos. They are a nuisance to society.

Would the law really for the council/Police to get rid of boy racers causing a nuisance rather than proper organised petrolheads having a meet in a pub car park?

starfire039
23-12-09, 12:09 PM
I doubt this will actually affect us, if it does, I'll be standing my ground! One of our human rights is "freedom of assembly and association" (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Yourrightsandresponsibilities/DG_4002951) - I'm sure if this actually happened we could play that card and get away with it.

ZS
23-12-09, 12:47 PM
I've had two ZS's parked outside my house with another up the driveway, not uncommon for me. So what about the pub meets we organise or indeed bbq's? It won't come to anything as I cannot see how they can police it or indeed enforce such a ruling. If anything it'll provoke people into organising rallies just to **** folk off and prove a point.

Isn't there some sort of Mass ZS party at yours in the new year?? Would this "law" apply then? ;) :thumbsup: :sorry:

stamford
23-12-09, 12:51 PM
Isn't there some sort of Mass ZS party at yours in the new year?? Would this "law" apply then? ;) :thumbsup: :sorry:

Yea! :huh: I'll grass them all up! then watch as they all get towed............ :laugh:

:hmmm: perhaps they won't come now!

fastmike
23-12-09, 02:07 PM
What about a car park full of any make of car outside a car factory ?

Bobdope2002
23-12-09, 03:56 PM
Well guys i used to go to Festival Park A lot as its about half hour up the road and yes its enforced

i remember the day when you'd get cossys drifting around the roundabouts with people stood they're watching and applauding... People with really nice modified cars coming bcus they've heard about it on the internet

Dont kno if anyone remembers Pimp My Ride and that blue Capri they did well that made an appearence up theyre and it was a nice motor shame it was an old banger engine wise....

Now if you go up, Theyre are police everywhere sitting in the side roads, sitting on the car parks in the dark, unmarked Cars with Speed Guns....

It Turned from a damned good nioght to a wank one in the space of about a month......

The rule of 5 cars convoying is bollox... so what happens when the Pride Of longbridge Event Happens where theyre is a convoy of about 100 or so MG's is the Over Zealous copper gonna be sat theyre writing Tickets for all off us

starfire039
23-12-09, 04:18 PM
i remember the day when you'd get cossys drifting around the roundabouts with people stood they're watching and applauding...

Now if you go up, Theyre are police everywhere sitting in the side roads, sitting on the car parks in the dark, unmarked Cars with Speed Guns....

This is a different kettle of fish imo, although sounds like good fun and i'd like to go watch, drifting on roundabouts and speeding on public roads is one thing that I could understand the rossers banning, but a civilised BBQ on the beach, or a meet up for lunch is something I cannot. When the MG lot go for a meet, we don't exactly hack it around roundabouts and do do-nuts or wheelspins in the car park (with the exception of a certain person, *cough* jake *cough* :laugh:), we enjoy the company of like minded people and talk about our cars. This is something I can't get my head around what's wrong with. Banning people hogging roundabouts I can understand- we all pay road tax and we all have an equal right to use the road without feeling awkward because it's been turned into a play ground. But we also have the right to drive LEGALLY on the road in convoy. What harm is that doing to anyone?

Bobdope2002
23-12-09, 04:26 PM
This is a different kettle of fish imo, although sounds like good fun and i'd like to go watch, drifting on roundabouts and speeding on public roads is one thing that I could understand the rossers banning, but a civilised BBQ on the beach, or a meet up for lunch is something I cannot. When the MG lot go for a meet, we don't exactly hack it around roundabouts and do do-nuts or wheelspins in the car park (with the exception of a certain person, *cough* jake *cough* :laugh:), we enjoy the company of like minded people and talk about our cars. This is something I can't get my head around what's wrong with. Banning people hogging roundabouts I can understand- we all pay road tax and we all have an equal right to use the road without feeling awkward because it's been turned into a play ground. But we also have the right to drive LEGALLY on the road in convoy. What harm is that doing to anyone?

IMO if its done in a safe enviroment with the road closed or sort of stopped for a min or two i cant see the problem

The 5-O dont see it the same way i spose

starfire039
23-12-09, 04:50 PM
Yup- well if it's done with council's permission and doesn't inconvenience anybody, then there's no harm! It's not up to the people organising meets to close the roads themselves, as long as they have permission or don't cause a nuisance, there's no problem. I don't think it's too clear what's actually going to be affected, if it's a halfords carpark wheelspin and hand brake turn sort of meet, then fair enough. But for the banning of a convey even if they are driving safely and legally, or driving however you like on private land it's disgusting!

Zippy Saloon
23-12-09, 05:15 PM
The MGOC may fall foul of this - often their roadruns consist of up to 200 MGBs (97% of them being red roadsters!).
Cannot see any problem meeting up but if the chav brigade used to turn up annoying everyone then theres your answer. I'd guess realistically the police would turn a blind eye to people just meeting up - its still a "free" world afaik, but would guess once bonnets start opening / the smell of burning rubber enters the air their attitude would change.

Zippy Saloon
23-12-09, 05:30 PM
IMO if its done in a safe enviroment with the road closed or sort of stopped for a min or two i cant see the problem

The 5-O dont see it the same way i sposeBut who closes the road? You or I haven't got the authority and I can't see the police or local authority closing roads just so some boy racers can go drifting or handbrake turning.
Takes a lot of planning, apart from in emergency, to close a road.

Bobdope2002
23-12-09, 05:32 PM
But who closes the road? You or I haven't got the authority and I can't see the police or local authority closing roads just so some boy racers can go drifting or handbrake turning.
Takes a lot of planning, apart from in emergency, to close a road.

they used to do it Fast and furious style as in stand in the road and stop traffic nothing legal about it the meets were very well planned

Festival Park Used to be a massive and i mean massive night every sunday

R8NMG
23-12-09, 05:33 PM

Roundabouts and public roads even it is closed with some barriers are not safe environment. I wonder how much time, money, meetings etc were spent every year to set up the Monaco Grand Prix. The only place it is safe is on track in a controlled environment.

Thinking back I wonder how much efforts was to close Oxford Street to run those F1 cars not long ago.

Also as if the police or council will close the road for a bunch of boy racers.

Bobdope2002
23-12-09, 05:37 PM
Roundabouts and public roads even it is closed with some barriers are not safe environment. I wonder how much time, money, meetings etc were spent every year to set up the Monaco Grand Prix. The only place it is safe is on track in a controlled environment.

Also as if the police or council will close the road for a bunch of boy racers.

the police didnt close the road if you look above it was done Fast and Furious Style as in some daft dosy **** standing in the middle of the road waving his hands about like a demented monkey

i used to think it was a good night but that was many moons ago when i was like 18 and had just passed my test

Zippy Saloon
23-12-09, 06:21 PM
they used to do it Fast and furious style as in stand in the road and stop traffic nothing legal about it the meets were very well planned

Festival Park Used to be a massive and i mean massive night every sundayBut theres no authority in shutting a road like that - anyone could force their way past, then what happens when they come across some muppet in an uninsured corsa sliding sideways at them at 60mph.
Also who picks up the bill if (when) the talent runs out and they take out 3 lamposts and a load of bushes on a roundabout?

I don't think you can say they were "very well planned", its something illegal to be frank.

If thats what it was like then theres no need to wonder why get togethers are being banned, unfortuneately a group of lads with cars will get tarred with the same brush, guess mgoc will be ok as most are about 75 with beards (even some of the women!)

sabrerallye
25-12-09, 09:53 AM
The MGOC may fall foul of this - often their roadruns consist of up to 200 MGBs (97% of them being red roadsters!).

These type of runs are normally done under a permit issued by the Motor Sports Association and are then under special rules. Still have to drive to the Road Traffic Act and be courteous to other road users and can still be nicked if do something wrong.

sabrerallye
25-12-09, 09:56 AM
guess mgoc will be ok as most are about 75 with beards (even some of the women!)

Think you need to have a proper look at the membership of the MGOC and MGCC before you make a comment like that.

chriszs180
25-12-09, 06:21 PM
lets organise a protest cruise on to parliment whould be great to setup on the embankment ....hehehehehe i'm going to get fined.....

Jay-ZS+
25-12-09, 07:35 PM
A 5mph cruise round london would be good :laugh:

Yampiedog
25-12-09, 08:12 PM
A 5mph cruise round london would be good :laugh:

You would be lucky to average that speed round London :spank:

starfire039
25-12-09, 09:06 PM
:laugh:

Boot Hill Bandit
26-12-09, 09:42 AM
Guess we are stuffed as we look like a Rover 400 and a 45!

Speak for yourself Mick!!!!!! :rofl:

Jim

afcbadam
26-12-09, 11:46 AM
its a load of ****. im off to a big vauxhall meet in january, 120+ cars are confirmed. its on an industrial estate so private land, but even if it wasnt id love to see then attempt to shut down an event that big.

peterzs
26-12-09, 07:27 PM
Hi Adam, we going to see you at any of the meets down here??

:mbounce::mbounce::mbounce::mbounce:

g8ndj
29-12-09, 11:30 PM
well i think we should all have a car meet up their! just drive round at the speed limit and see what they do. Surly they cant give out tickets for following the rules of the road?!?! just happens to be alot of MG's on the road at once!
Ive got to say though its fair to stop people drifting on public roads, but to stop groups of cars. Thats just OTT.

Zippy Saloon
31-12-09, 02:14 PM
Think you need to have a proper look at the membership of the MGOC and MGCC before you make a comment like that.
Was a member of both clubs off and on for quite a few years, so have had a "proper look" mate.

Dan1971
31-12-09, 02:25 PM
well i think we should all have a car meet up their! just drive round at the speed limit and see what they do. Surly they cant give out tickets for following the rules of the road?!?! just happens to be alot of MG's on the road at once!
Ive got to say though its fair to stop people drifting on public roads, but to stop groups of cars. Thats just OTT.

I reckon you wouldn't get stopped if part of a large group and given a ticket there and then. That could cause flashpoint confrontation. You'd get videod and then sent a fine through the post.

That's what I would do anyway. :tease:

starfire039
04-01-10, 10:27 AM
:laugh: If I got a fine through the post for driving legally in a group, I'd be straight on the blower to my MP and flush the fine down the toilet.

Dan1971
04-01-10, 10:43 AM
:laugh: If I got a fine through the post for driving legally in a group, I'd be straight on the blower to my MP and flush the fine down the toilet.

:hmmm:

You wouldn't get a fine for driving "legally" in a group. It's that very fact that you are in a group within a specified area, that makes it "illegal".

Well no matter what you'd think of the offence, or any offence for that matter, you get two options, a court appearance or pay up. Flushing it down the toilet, and I appreciate that may have been an exaggeration, would just get you an even bigger fine, and eventually an arrest warrant.

Not the smartest way to go about disputing an offence where a summons or fine has been issued IMHO.

Jay-ZS+
04-01-10, 11:03 AM
Common sense shall prevail!

Thats it as far as I see it, its another tool for the police to use to prevent people driving like twats in convoys. Think regardless if your driving in a big group as long as your not braking any laws then the police have better things to do. Its the handbrake happy knobs its targetting :whip:

Im all for it :)

starfire039
04-01-10, 11:04 AM
:hmmm:

You wouldn't get a fine for driving "legally" in a group. It's that very fact that you are in a group within a specified area, that makes it "illegal".

Well no matter what you'd think of the offence, or any offence for that matter, you get two options, a court appearance or pay up. Flushing it down the toilet, and I appreciate that may have been an exaggeration, would just get you an even bigger fine, and eventually an arrest warrant.

Not the smartest way to go about disputing an offence where a summons or fine has been issued IMHO.

Yeah was just exaggerating, I might look it but I'm not stupid enough to do something like that :laugh:

Again, I think there will be many misconceptions and theorys behind this, but my opinion is good riddance to the chavs on public roads and car parks causing a nuisance. However for car enthusiasts to have a car meet doing nothing wrong and not causing upset or disturbance to anybody, to be told to be moved on is quite frankly a crying shame in my opinion and a massive let down by the powers that be.

Again, this is all hear say at the moment, the only thing that's actually happened is some chav evictions, I have faith in the government and the police that as a law abiding citizen my right to assembly and association will be protected and if I want to talk cars with somebody in a car park, or drive in a convoy legally (by legally I mean sticking the limit and driving with due care which I do anyway), I will do!

starfire039
04-01-10, 11:04 AM
Thats it as far as I see it, its another tool for the police to use to prevent people driving like twats in convoys. Think regardless if your driving in a big group as long as your not braking any laws then the police have better things to do. Its the handbrake happy knobs its targetting :whip:

Im all for it :)

Agreed!

peterzs
04-01-10, 06:02 PM
Just woke up, not missed a meet have I??

Where and whens the next one??

:fun::fun::fun::wave::wave:

Dan1971
04-01-10, 06:04 PM

Where and whens the next one??

:fun::fun::fun::wave::wave:

Go back to sleep Pete .... :yawn:

Jay-ZS+
04-01-10, 06:06 PM

Heavy News years was it?!! :drunk::laugh:

peterzs
04-01-10, 06:07 PM
Waiting to see your new monster!!

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

Dan1971
04-01-10, 06:56 PM
Waiting to see your new monster!!

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

Whos ?

Ritchy
04-01-10, 08:20 PM
easy tiger!

peterzs
05-01-10, 09:32 AM
The black (XPG) one with green all over it!!

:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Jay-ZS+
05-01-10, 09:56 AM
:whistle: looking forward to a big meet at somepoint this year

p_b82
05-01-10, 10:06 AM
me 3... hopefully will be able to bring the derv too - with some semblance of it being finished too :D

peterzs
05-01-10, 03:51 PM
me 3... hopefully will be able to bring the derv too - with some semblance of it being finished too :D

Look forward to seeing it, maybe Bath/Bristol for a meet, not too far for the Devon Guys.

:yay::yay::yay::fun::fun:

Jay-ZS+
05-01-10, 03:52 PM
Look forward to seeing it, maybe Bath/Bristol for a meet, not too far for the Devon Guys.

May Dave would be about too??

p_b82
05-01-10, 05:18 PM
sounds good, if it was in bristol i would have no excuse not to make it :D

Dan1971
05-01-10, 07:42 PM

Can tell you've got a diesel ..... Will cost you about thruppence in fuel !