PDA

View Full Version : Blower packed up?

Squeaks
08-01-10, 09:15 PM
Hi.

I think the blowers packed up on my ZS.

It still clears the screen but doesnt have any speed to it.
still blows hot.

it happened this evening, went to put the blower on full & nout happened. not even the bloody annoying squeak behind one of the vents.

whats happened to it?

will-w
08-01-10, 09:55 PM
Fuse?

Either that or the dreaded fan resistor issue!

Squeaks
08-01-10, 09:57 PM
Fuse?

Either that or the dreaded fan resistor issue!

that dont sound good. whats that then.

Ritchy
08-01-10, 10:07 PM
just the resistor for the different speed settings, just big coils of wire that heat up stupid hot then melt., usually just speed one and 2 it affects though so id check the fuse, then if the motor is getting power to it with a test lamp

Zippy Saloon
09-01-10, 03:31 AM
Even if the resistors have all blown you would still have full power setting.
Worth dropping blower out (only 3 screws iirc, located below glovebox) may want a squirt of WD40 to loosen it up, or could be fubar completely.
Worth checking fuse first though.

Southside_ZS
09-01-10, 10:41 AM
Yeah as said speed 3 and 4 bypass the resistor pack so it wont be that. Resistor pack only affects 1 and 2.

Its either the fuse or the motor itself. Not a hard job to change. remove the glovebox and its held in with 3 bolts iirc underneath the heaterbox. Unndo the bolts and it should just drop down.

all Rover 400 bubble, 45, ZS motors are the same. I've got a spare working one here if you need one.

talkingcars
09-01-10, 10:50 AM
Yeah as said speed 3 and 4 bypass the resistor pack so it wont be that. Resistor pack only affects 1 and 2. .

Speed 4 works at full power (14volts), the 3 resistors in the pack drop the voltage to give the 3 lower speeds, it is unusual for a owner not to notice 1 and 2 have failed before they replace the pack so it is unusual for 3 to fail.

However if the fan is not working on any speed it is not the reisitor pack, I've heard of a couple of instances where the fan itself has failed so this would be my first check.

Ritchy
09-01-10, 10:55 AM
yup had a fan fail in at work few weeks back, id advise on a scrappy fi nd as they are really expensive new now, if that is the problem that is

Squeaks
09-01-10, 05:26 PM
Ok just got weirder!

yesterday no blower.

today its on full and wont slow down. :rant:

is it this snowy icey weather messing with it or something elce

Southside_ZS
09-01-10, 05:36 PM
Sure its not the control knob slipping on its spline?

Squeaks
09-01-10, 06:05 PM
No idea at all. all i can tell you all is

yesterday i had no blower

today its stuck on.

i have a Mk2 ZS with the climate control.

Squeaks
10-01-10, 09:00 AM
bump :D

Ritchy
10-01-10, 04:32 PM
ya never said it had climate control lol, probably some internal fault in it, sensor playing up or summit, never had any expierience with them

Squeaks
10-01-10, 04:37 PM
I forgot Lol no used to having so many buttons to press.

If it keeps throwing problems at me & if it fails its MOT wed then ill sell it and Buy a Alfa 159 Lol :D

Ritchy
10-01-10, 04:42 PM
maybe the sunload sensor was frozen up, no error message coming up on the display?

Squeaks
10-01-10, 04:47 PM
pass, ive no idea what mumbo jumbo its got showing on it half the time lol! ill go look in the morning.

talkingcars
10-01-10, 04:54 PM
pass, ive no idea what mumbo jumbo its got showing on it half the time lol! ill go look in the morning.

Did you get a manual with the car, if so read trough it, it has lots of info.

Squeaks
10-01-10, 05:19 PM
Yeah its got the booklet with it, i never tend to read them lol its like instructions for electronics id rather guess Lol ill have a look in the morning.