PDA

View Full Version : Bad and scary ZS experience.

Mat C
10-09-07, 07:06 PM
Was driving down our local dual carridge way this afternoon and i was only doing about 65mph, maybe 70 tops (this is true because their was a police Volvo 2 cars behind me) and suddenly i heard a massive bang. I could see something big and black flying off down the dual carridge way and instantly thought i had a complete tyre failure but the car felt fine. Anyway, i pulled in and for once, i was glad a police patrol car pulled in behind me.
All 4 tyres were fine. What had happened was the inner wing had completely torn off ! Somehow, it has cracked my headlight on the corner of the indicator and bent the wing as well. It's also caused a few scratches down the length of the car. Also, it's made the headlight loose, burst the indicator bulb and cleanly ripped the foglamp pod out of it's mountings. All what stopped it completely flying away was the electric cables !

Headers
10-09-07, 07:12 PM
Sorry to hear about the damage mate did you miss the coppers ??

I have recently been to Silverstone and done some lap time rest assured though before drving 150 miles home I gave her a bloody good check over.

How many miles has your car done then and has anyone else had this happen ??

Matt

mrt_04
10-09-07, 07:16 PM
Sounds like inner wing grommet / screw fixings have come adrift (dropped out) & windrush has done the rest. Have a had inner wing off lately???
Have you checked other side??

I am asking this because I took my inner wing off the other week to get at the airflow box. The fixings were not the best job in the world.

Mat C
10-09-07, 07:31 PM
The copper said it missed their car but they think the car in front of them drove over it. Didn't foresee any repercusions though ! I was glad to see them to be honest - he reasured me that it was nothing that was in my control and it's 'just one of those things' .
My car's done just over 45,000 miles and to my knowledge there has been nothing like this happen or anything untoward.
I had the inner wing off back in June to do trhe filter and replaced it correctly with all the screws etc. And to show it was replaced with all the screws, they are still in their mountings ! What caused it to rip itself clear of the screws and mountings i'll never know.

mrt_04
10-09-07, 07:38 PM
Maybe a good idea for fleet check????????

ZS180V6
10-09-07, 07:39 PM
I had problems with my inner wing.

A couple of weeks ago I had a new bumper fitted.

I was driving down the M25 doing about 100 and heard a bit of a thump. When I pulled off at Swanley and had a look the inner wing cover had dropped down and been scraped off but was still partly there . I took the car back and they put a new inner wing on so not as bad as yours..........

The wind must have pushed it down at high speed...

KevG
10-09-07, 07:40 PM
The inner wing splash guard is held in place by 7 or 8 scrivets (Screw-rivet), plus a 10mm bolt the screws in from under the front bumper, and small scrivet on the wing and 3 self tapping screws onto the body kit fender, hence why the wing is slightly bent.

mrt_04
10-09-07, 07:45 PM
100mph on the M25, sure you got the decimal point in the right place?????????

Seems to be important to make sure all bolts & screws are secure.
I will double check mine at work tonight.

Mat C
10-09-07, 07:46 PM
Yeah, that's right - it's held in well with plenty of fixings so i just can't get my head around why it hapened ! I've so far managed to reshape the wing and replace the indicaor bulb (that was easy 'cos i didn't have to remove the inner wing!)
Going to take the front bumper off tommorrow to see if i can spot any other damage and to fix the fog lamp pod back in place.

alba15031
10-09-07, 09:26 PM
That must have been a one in a million with the amount of screws and fixings in it how could it just fly off.

Mat C
10-09-07, 09:32 PM
That's what i want to know ! I'm wondering if i drove over something myself that got hooked in to it and then got tangled in the wheel ? It's the way it pulled out the fog light surround and made the headlight loose that has really puzzled me.

alba15031
10-09-07, 09:48 PM
Yeah that is mad maybe something did flick up and ripped it out i know i will be giving mine a look over tommorrow .

Mat C
11-09-07, 11:47 AM
Just notced it has also torn through part of my induction pipe ! I'm getting more convinced that i actualy hit something that got caught up and caused all this damage.

stamford
11-09-07, 12:08 PM
May have been a partial lorry tread thrown up and caused the damage. I know the inner wing fixings are poor, but there is enough fixing points to not make it rip out in that manner. Mine has been off many times and is still intact.

It is still not nice to hear these stories, but at least it was not more serious.

Leasky
11-09-07, 01:07 PM
not so good buddy

Mat C
11-09-07, 03:17 PM
Productive afternoon ! :-D Had the front bumper off today so that i could survey any further damage and rectify what i already know of. Fixed the foglamp pod back in place and far more securely than MGR ever attempted to ! Found out why the headlamp is loose - it cracked the main bracket. Simple repair job until i can afford a new one - i just used resin on it which has set well hard !
Bumper back on and then a trip to the local breakers yard. Got a new inner wing from a 400 - i'm sure it will be the saame, if not it was only a fiver. Also got a bit of piping to replace the damage it caused to the induction pipe.
So tommorrow is fix in the inner wing and then touch up the paint that got chipped off and T-cut and polish out the scratches it caused !

mrt_04
11-09-07, 06:20 PM
Well done Mat, great to hear people overcoming problems with simple remedies.
Most important though, is that you are ok & able to enjoy the fruits of your labour!!!

Mat C
11-09-07, 06:24 PM
Cheers, i'm not one to sit around ! I like to get stuck in and get things done - and cheaply too !