PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo! Stevie arrived today!!!

Kara
27-01-10, 03:26 PM
Well Stevie was dropped off this morning and I have to say wow! I am so impressed! She looks really gorgeous and the 180 bodykit makes her look so mean! And she drives beautifully! Much less bumpy than an F!

Took some quick pics:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn143/labellamoda/Stevie/DSCF4157.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn143/labellamoda/Stevie/DSCF4158.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn143/labellamoda/Stevie/DSCF4159.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn143/labellamoda/Stevie/DSCF4160.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn143/labellamoda/Stevie/DSCF4161.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn143/labellamoda/Stevie/DSCF4163.jpg

Just a quick couple of questions... any idea what size the rear badge is as it needs replacing. Also any idea why the engine management light is staying on and I'm getting a weird intermitent high pitched squeaking noise when I'm driving along normally. Any advice would be great!

arwilson80
27-01-10, 03:39 PM
Nice...

I think the back badge is 59mm if i remeber correctly. The other 2 questions i can't answer.

Kara
27-01-10, 03:44 PM
Nice...

I think the back badge is 59mm if i remeber correctly. The other 2 questions i can't answer.

Thanks hun! I'll nip on ebay and order one now. :trampoline:

Stevedx
27-01-10, 03:45 PM
That looks like newhaven!

arwilson80
27-01-10, 03:46 PM
Correction... MKII rear badge is approx 89mm (just been searching).

grimmy
27-01-10, 03:53 PM
Nice motor i am guessing the engine management light will be a faulty oxygen sensor in the exhaust i have went through three of them but a hook up to a diagnostic kit will tell you what it is.

Kara
27-01-10, 04:09 PM
That looks like newhaven!

It is! Very well spotted! Yes I live next to Newhaven Fort so just up the road from West Beach. :)

EDIT: Just realized it's you Steve! It's me MG_CHIC from .org - I was the gal that asked to borrow your trailer if you remember!

Correction... MKII rear badge is approx 89mm (just been searching).

Phew talk about just in the nick of time! Was just about to order one!

Thanks for double checking! :)

Nice motor i am guessing the engine management light will be a faulty oxygen sensor in the exhaust i have went through three of them but a hook up to a diagnostic kit will tell you what it is.

Hmm... the exhaust is blowing slightly so not sure if that would set off the sensor in the exhaust? Oh well at least I can drive her around without worrying about anything blowing up.

Still doesn't explain my squeak though. And the fact that when I parked Stevie up there was this constant high pitched continuous beep from the engine bay for about 2-3mins... hmm...

Glen290
27-01-10, 04:11 PM
Looks great, sooo need an extreme hatch spoiler for mine, the lip spoiler looks so lame...

grimmy
27-01-10, 04:15 PM
If the exhaust is blowing from in front of the sensors it could be causing the sensors to read incorrectly and flag up a fault code, might be worth gettting it looked at as it might be something as simple as a new exhaust

Kara
27-01-10, 04:24 PM
Looks great, sooo need an extreme hatch spoiler for mine, the lip spoiler looks so lame...

Lol Thanks Glen! :) I quite like the spoiler actually because it's not in your face... could be a girly thing though as we're not overcompensating for anything... http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s299/Shnoopy_girl/Smilies/pinktongue.gif
:laugh:

If the exhaust is blowing from in front of the sensors it could be causing the sensors to read incorrectly and flag up a fault code, might be worth gettting it looked at as it might be something as simple as a new exhaust

Hmm... I think you've hit the nail on the head... well this just gives me the perfect excuse to buy a sports exhaust! :thankyou:

Ritchy
27-01-10, 04:28 PM
ya really need it in a code reader to tell so many things can set off a mil light

Stevedx
27-01-10, 04:31 PM
Same spoiler I have on mine, did you get rid of the TF then Kara?

DeMoNPauL
27-01-10, 04:34 PM
Try here for a replacement rear badge. http://www.mymgcar.com/shop/home.php

Kara
27-01-10, 04:42 PM
ya really need it in a code reader to tell so many things can set off a mil light

Thanks Ritchy! Got a mate coming round this evening with a diagnostics kit so hopefully will find out what's going on.

Same spoiler I have on mine, did you get rid of the TF then Kara?

Yup the F's gone... did a straight swap so can't complain at getting a younger, lower milage MG! :laugh:

Try here for a replacement rear badge. http://www.mymgcar.com/shop/home.php

Will check them out! Thanks Paul! :)

Stevedx
27-01-10, 04:43 PM
wow lucky you. I still have my old mk1

Kara
27-01-10, 04:57 PM
wow lucky you. I still have my old mk1

Thanks mate! Must admit I can't help but feel very lucky! Although I did chuck in some free flights with Virgin Atlantic for him which I think sweetened the deal! :laugh:

Stevedx
27-01-10, 05:01 PM
lucky boy he was then too, do you work for virgin then? could do with a holiday myself, the last few years have been a bit pants!

Kara
27-01-10, 05:04 PM
lucky boy he was then too, do you work for virgin then? could do with a holiday myself, the last few years have been a bit pants!

Lol! Well The job starts next month it's working at their contact centre in Crawley hence I'm moving up there next week! I'd love to offer you tickets but my family have quite happily used all my allocation up already! :(

I'm having a bit of a frantic month actually, new job starting soon, moving house and getting a new car, my head's spinning just thinking about it all! :laugh:

Although I do get discounted flights in 6 months time so if you'd like any just holler! :)

Stevedx
27-01-10, 05:23 PM
Thanks babe, wasnt saying it so you would offer, but thats cool.

I might take you up on that so let me know when you can! Where abouts you moving too?

If you need any help and i can assist, just say. Have a trailer and towbar if needed.

Dan1971
27-01-10, 05:27 PM
When I fitted a decat my light came on .... Not got a decat already by any chance .... ?

talkingcars
27-01-10, 06:16 PM
A bit drastic moving to Crawley, my boss lives 5 minutes walk from Brighton pier and drives in every day, it only takes 25 minutes.

One of my neices works for virgin in aeronautical engineering, she's very happy there.

SheppeyTrio
27-01-10, 06:42 PM
Also any idea why the engine management light is staying on and I'm getting a weird intermitent high pitched squeaking noise when I'm driving along normally. Any advice would be great!

I'm getting a high pitch squeak every now-and-then also! A friend of mine who works for Kwik-Fit has had a look and told me that the break pads have something that he called a 'squeal bar'. It's basically a bar built into the brake pads so that when they get low'ish they give of a squeal to let you know! So if i were you i'd get the brakes checked! I've just bought a set of rear brake pads for £13, not a named set but they'll do me for now!!

RudeDogg1
27-01-10, 07:22 PM
yeah sounds like new break pads, also check the rear ones as the calipers have a habit of seizing. Like i found out when mine wore down to the metal and was wearing my disk away. Replaced the pads and discs unseized the caliper. Month down the line half a pad gone. Unseized and cleaned said caliper for it to do the same again so bit the bullet and bought a recon caliper of flea bay. Touch wood all is still well

KevG
27-01-10, 09:31 PM
The noise you hear is not the front or rear brakes as they have an "acoustic wear indicator" this is a little metal tang that rubs agaisnt the disc causing a noise, IIRC the high pitched squeal is the ECU relay, it stays energised for a period after the ignition is switched off before shutting down, and will do this while the engine is on, if you ask any Mk2 ZR105 owner they do the same, the 180's dont do this!

Ritchy
27-01-10, 09:47 PM
so many things will bring lights on, the engtine management covers a lot of sensors all over the place, it may have been a fautl in the past thats no lonbger present, if it comes up with a sensor, it isnt necisarrily the sensor thats at fault, it could be in that circuit like a break in the wire, or nothing to do with it at all, sometimes o2 sesors will come on when the cars been overfuelling ect, i have changed a couple on the k4, what id advoise ya do straight away is bent the bracket down that the wiring loom sits on where it goes into the ecu at the bulkhead, in the engine bay, it chaffs here n holds things on like injectors ect, then get some electrical tape round it!

Ritchy
27-01-10, 09:50 PM
and yeah what kev said, youll hear it shut down after a minute or two, its still monitoring the system then, fan will still kick in if ya disconnected the temp sensor ect! just making sure everythings nice before it goes to sleep

Kara
27-01-10, 10:08 PM
Thanks babe, wasnt saying it so you would offer, but thats cool.

I might take you up on that so let me know when you can! Where abouts you moving too?

If you need any help and i can assist, just say. Have a trailer and towbar if needed.

Aww thanks mate... I'm actually ok for the move as a mate of mine (Paul - I think you've met him) is helping out with his freelander so got lots of space! :)

As soon as the discount becomes available I'll pop you a PM, I'm more than happy to spread the love! :laugh:

When I fitted a decat my light came on .... Not got a decat already by any chance .... ?

Nope no decat however my friend has now found the problem using his very posh diagnostics kit... apparently the rear O2 sensor isn't giving out any readings so looks like I need a new one!

A bit drastic moving to Crawley, my boss lives 5 minutes walk from Brighton pier and drives in every day, it only takes 25 minutes.

One of my neices works for virgin in aeronautical engineering, she's very happy there.

Tbh mate because we're both working there and my other half can't drive it makes sense to be within a decent commuting length via car & bus. We've found a lovely penthouse in Horley which is a 10min drive or 25mins on the bus so it works out perfectly. I can see why if only one of us got a job there it would make sense to stay put but with us both working there we might as well move. Plus I am soooooo bored of Newhaven! It's soooo dead! :laugh:

I'm getting a high pitch squeak every now-and-then also! A friend of mine who works for Kwik-Fit has had a look and told me that the break pads have something that he called a 'squeal bar'. It's basically a bar built into the brake pads so that when they get low'ish they give of a squeal to let you know! So if i were you i'd get the brakes checked! I've just bought a set of rear brake pads for £13, not a named set but they'll do me for now!!

Ah thanks for the tip hun! Sounds like a real possibility as the sound is definitely from the rear. The only other thing I can think is that the breaks had seized before the car was delivered to me so could it be them binding???

yeah sounds like new break pads, also check the rear ones as the calipers have a habit of seizing. Like i found out when mine wore down to the metal and was wearing my disk away. Replaced the pads and discs unseized the caliper. Month down the line half a pad gone. Unseized and cleaned said caliper for it to do the same again so bit the bullet and bought a recon caliper of flea bay. Touch wood all is still well

Thanks hunnie will check the calipers asap! If they've already seized once could be they're gonna do what yours did until I replace them.

The noise you hear is not the front or rear brakes as they have an "acoustic wear indicator" this is a little metal tang that rubs agaisnt the disc causing a noise, IIRC the high pitched squeal is the ECU relay, it stays energised for a period after the ignition is switched off before shutting down, and will do this while the engine is on, if you ask any Mk2 ZR105 owner they do the same, the 180's dont do this!

Thanks Kev! Yup my mate said that apparently the continuous high pitched squeal is the ECU and nothing to worry about. At least that's one problem sorted! It's just weird as it's actually quite loud!

so many things will bring lights on, the engtine management covers a lot of sensors all over the place, it may have been a fautl in the past thats no lonbger present, if it comes up with a sensor, it isnt necisarrily the sensor thats at fault, it could be in that circuit like a break in the wire, or nothing to do with it at all, sometimes o2 sesors will come on when the cars been overfuelling ect, i have changed a couple on the k4, what id advoise ya do straight away is bent the bracket down that the wiring loom sits on where it goes into the ecu at the bulkhead, in the engine bay, it chaffs here n holds things on like injectors ect, then get some electrical tape round it!

and yeah what kev said, youll hear it shut down after a minute or two, its still monitoring the system then, fan will still kick in if ya disconnected the temp sensor ect! just making sure everythings nice before it goes to sleep

Thanks Ritchy! You've been very helpful. Now I know it's the O2 sensor I'll see if I can pick up one and get it fitted soon. Also the exhaust is definitely blowing... looks like it's coming from the join so I'm definitely gonna need a new sports exhaust! :punk:

Ritchy
27-01-10, 10:14 PM
where in the exhaust is it blowing, if its the joint you should be able to get it welded, but they are common for rusting, id try clearing the code n seeing how long it takes to come back on or get it on a proper scanner n watch the upstream n downstream switching n making the right patterns on the scope, or just change it, id put a little copper slip on the new ones threads so its easy to get out next time

Kara
27-01-10, 10:29 PM
where in the exhaust is it blowing, if its the joint you should be able to get it welded, but they are common for rusting, id try clearing the code n seeing how long it takes to come back on or get it on a proper scanner n watch the upstream n downstream switching n making the right patterns on the scope, or just change it, id put a little copper slip on the new ones threads so its easy to get out next time

Thanks Ritchy! :) We tried clearing it and it didn't come back on but that being said I haven't taken Stevie for a drive since clearing it.
I'm pretty sure it is the join where it's blowing, but if anyone asks the whole exhaust is falling off and needs to be replaced with a stainless steel one immediately! :laugh:

Ritchy
27-01-10, 10:33 PM
lol, what joint theres like loads down the whole system:P might be better to get a custom one made then yeah can have it however loud/ quiet ya wnt, n stainless wont rust!, water has a habit for sitting in the exhaust so heat and water arent a good mix if yer wanting to avoid rust

talkingcars
28-01-10, 05:35 AM
lol, what joint theres like loads down the whole system:P might be better to get a custom one made then yeah can have it however loud/ quiet ya wnt, n stainless wont rust!, water has a habit for sitting in the exhaust so heat and water arent a good mix if yer wanting to avoid rust

Powerflow at RSR in Redhill are good - http://www.rsrtyres.co.uk/

stamford
28-01-10, 07:28 AM
Hi Kara, that has scrubbed up really well! You got yourself a bargin there.

Yep, you need a new exhaust ;)

Maxfly
28-01-10, 09:00 AM

Think it's mibbe all K 4 pots that did this as my MK1 ZR120 did it too, thought i had tinnitus for a while after getting the car lol :D

Kara
29-01-10, 08:49 PM

Lol of course! I'm still in 'F' mode! I wouldn't mind a custom exhaust... I know Longlife are good as they made my mate's exhaust for his F and it sounds awesome! However I am a bit of a Janspeed gal at heart! Although I can't seem to find one for the MK2 120... can anyone point me in the right direction?

Powerflow at RSR in Redhill are good - http://www.rsrtyres.co.uk/

Will check them out! Thank you! :smile1:

Hi Kara, that has scrubbed up really well! You got yourself a bargin there.

Yep, you need a new exhaust ;)

Shh don't tell anyone but I haven't actually cleaned her yet! I was going to but then it rained... and then I was going to again today but I realized my microfibre cloth was filfthy! :oops:

Ritchy
29-01-10, 09:05 PM
the 120 is the same as the 180 from the cat back, but the saloon and hatch are different lenghs , as are the mk1, and mk2 exhausts, so you want a mk2 hatch:) scorpion do a direct fit one, n janspeed

Kara
29-01-10, 09:22 PM
the 120 is the same as the 180 from the cat back, but the saloon and hatch are different lenghs , as are the mk1, and mk2 exhausts, so you want a mk2 hatch:) scorpion do a direct fit one, n janspeed

Perfect! You're a star! :thankyou: