PDA

View Full Version : Full Service .... Well most things anyway.

Dan1971
01-02-10, 06:09 PM
Ordered a kit via the interweb from Land Rover Swansea.

Oil filter with sump washer, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter, platinum plugs and they threw in two bulbs for £65 delivered. Got some Mobil Super S oil, and went up to TCS in Bishops Stortford for them do do it.

They put her on the RR first to see what the score was. Now, I'm not really a figures man. The reason behind the service was that it was a year overdue.

1st run - 152.9bhp. Eventually though, before the service, she woke up a bit and reached 161bhp. Fully serviced she made 167.1bhp. Not really the 50bhp gains that top gear got on their V6 Renault .... but not too bad. Feels a lot less lumpy on tickover, but we agreed that it's not good enough.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/IMG00049.jpg

The lower readings here were when it was set to see what it was "at the wheels"

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/IMG00048.jpg

The guy suggested that the MAP sensor could be the source of the problem as the car is running a bit "rich". Anyone got any other ideas ? A bit of me just thinks that they've gone and never will be found again as the first owner was, mature, shall we say and the car's basically just gone to sleep.

All in all, really chuffed with the guys at TCS. (Just off J8 of the M11). Charged me £70 total and I was there for about 2.30hrs and did eleven runs on the RR.

Jay-ZS+
01-02-10, 06:16 PM
Thats not a bad improvement though from a service, when was it last done??
£70 for all that isnt bad at all :D If only they were near me :( (dont think Dave will want to see my car for a little while now!! :laugh:)

peterzs
01-02-10, 06:16 PM
Sounds like a bargain, RR down here was £50 for 2 or 3 runs!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jay-ZS+
01-02-10, 06:29 PM
Sounds like a bargain, RR down here was £50 for 2 or 3 runs!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yer Ive got a RR near coombe for april with some of the locals from .org for "£30 for however many power runs to get a accurate figure"

But with the service on top is a real bargin

stamford
01-02-10, 06:43 PM
You did well there Dan, as for the car it might pay to disconnect the battery (assuming you don't need any codes etc) then take the car for a spirited drive for half hour or so, sounds like the ecu needs 'waking up' and used!

Matt Reidy will do a good job on the system for you, but only really worth doing if you change the breathing and exhaust.

Dan1971
01-02-10, 06:43 PM
Thats not a bad improvement though from a service, when was it last done??
£70 for all that isnt bad at all :D If only they were near me :( (dont think Dave will want to see my car for a little while now!! :laugh:)

Feb 2008 .... Only done 9K in that time though.

shroonie29
01-02-10, 06:47 PM
just a wee point,but the VIS seems to take 1,000rpm(4500-5500) to operate on the graph.
That isn't how it should be.
this is at the same point your fuelling goes haywire by the looks

Dan1971
01-02-10, 06:47 PM
Yer Ive got a RR near coombe for april with some of the locals from .org for "£30 for however many power runs to get a accurate figure"

But with the service on top is a real bargin

The guy's a decent fella. He's been racing since he was about 12 and has recently bought a place near "The Ring" and is planning on taking some people over there on organised trips in the next year or so. He's building his business up and will be opening an on-line shop soon. His business plan is sound so I expect him to go places. Spends a lot of time tuning Skylines etc for various people in Herts.

He charges £35 an hour labour and would normally charge £45 for 4 runs on the RR, but he gets carried away. Got a bit of discount as I've been there 3 times now.

Dan1971
01-02-10, 06:50 PM
just a wee point,but the VIS seems to take 1,000rpm(4500-5500) to operate on the graph.
That isn't how it should be.
this is at the same point your fuelling goes haywire by the looks

I thought the blip shown at 3.2rpm was the vis kicking in .... I have tested both the balance and the power motors and both are working.

Dan1971
01-02-10, 06:52 PM
You did well there Dan, as for the car it might pay to disconnect the battery (assuming you don't need any codes etc) then take the car for a spirited drive for half hour or so, sounds like the ecu needs 'waking up' and used!

Matt Reidy will do a good job on the system for you, but only really worth doing if you change the breathing and exhaust.

Do you think that's the MAP issue ? In the second graph, the lower series of lines are basically the car running very rich. They got better, (higher) when he disconnected the MAP sensor ... ?

Bobdope2002
01-02-10, 06:52 PM
i agree with shroonie your 2nd vis isnt working correctly probs why you got such a low figure.last time i RR mine it was just over 180bhp but im sure my plenum is banjaxxed and my air filter isnt sufficient for use as its too small

shroonie29
01-02-10, 06:54 PM
I thought the blip shown at 3.2rpm was the vis kicking in .... I have tested both the balance and the power motors and both are working.

It is,but remember the 180 has 2

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/Roverdose/RollRd10.jpg

Is a graph of another 180 to show the difference

Bobdope2002
01-02-10, 06:54 PM
Deleted some one more knowledgeable beat me to it

Dan1971
01-02-10, 07:03 PM
Here's my last one. It also has a plateau albeit not for 100revs. So ... The balance should kick in higher up the rev range then ?

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/ZSRR008.jpg

Ritchy
01-02-10, 07:22 PM
the fuelling adaptions constantly change on the mk2, and you can get them reset on t4, the mark2 ecu is contantly learning kinda n adjusting itself, well the 4 pots are dunno bout the kv6 as ive had very little to do with them, you could try taking the sensor out n giving it a wee clean up with some carb cleaner n see if it makes any difference, and as mick says you could try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes or so. just trying to fling swome ideas out here as ive never done any sort of tuning or mapping or anything

Dan1971
01-02-10, 07:58 PM
the fuelling adaptions constantly change on the mk2, and you can get them reset on t4, the mark2 ecu is contantly learning kinda n adjusting itself, well the 4 pots are dunno bout the kv6 as ive had very little to do with them, you could try taking the sensor out n giving it a wee clean up with some carb cleaner n see if it makes any difference, and as mick says you could try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes or so. just trying to fling swome ideas out here as ive never done any sort of tuning or mapping or anything

Would it show up as a fault then if the MAP sensor is knackered ?

Ritchy
01-02-10, 08:01 PM
ehm not nessisarily, depends whats wrong with it, it might be a bit dirty n needing a clean, or just its giving out the wrong reading, id try cleaning it first personally good bit of some carb cleaner/ brake cleaner into it get any oil residue that mikght be sat on it, what ye got to lose

Dan1971
01-02-10, 08:11 PM
ehm not nessisarily, depends whats wrong with it, it might be a bit dirty n needing a clean, or just its giving out the wrong reading, id try cleaning it first personally good bit of some carb cleaner/ brake cleaner into it get any oil residue that mikght be sat on it, what ye got to lose

Fair point ...well made fella.

Dan1971
02-02-10, 12:34 PM
.....assuming you don't need any codes etc.

Codes ...... Such as ..... ?

stamford
02-02-10, 12:41 PM
Codes ...... Such as ..... ?

Some stereos do, depends on what you have fitted and if you have or need a code to re-activate it.

Dan1971
02-02-10, 01:28 PM
Some stereos do, depends on what you have fitted and if you have or need a code to re-activate it.

That's what I thought ... Nope aftermarket Alpine. If I disconnect, will there be any issues for the key fob or immobiliser ?

Maxfly
02-02-10, 01:33 PM
That's what I thought ... Nope aftermarket Alpine. If I disconnect, will there be any issues for the key fob or immobiliser ?

I've never had any issues with mine when i have disconnected the battery:)

Dan1971
02-02-10, 01:37 PM
Well ... here goes then. Disconnect battery, remove and clean MAP sensor then replace and road test. Fingers crossed.

Dan1971
02-02-10, 02:47 PM
Well ..... That seemed to go OK .....

Unplugged the MAP, gave it a clean using an aerosol. Unplugged the battery for about 30 mins ... and ... surprisingly ... put it all back together again !!! Yay !!!

Been for a spirited drive and low and behold ...... Feels exactly the same !!!

Still ... Another exercise in having a go. Got a line of enquiry on a second hand one, so I'll take the car and the spare back to TCS and get them to test it now and then again after changing them.

Thanks for the pointers fellas.