PDA

View Full Version : Going to look at a 180 tomorow, what should i look for?

Southside_ZS
06-02-10, 10:21 PM
Owned a few ZS's now but all been 4 pots. Going to look at a mk1 180 tomorow so need some advice of what to look for.

I know about the vis motors and the clutch problems but what is it on these two things that i actually need to look at\listen for?

Also i know the v6 isn't that common for hgf but when it does go is it the same symptoms as the 4 pot? mayo under oil cap and in the expansion tank?

grimmy
06-02-10, 10:30 PM
Owned a few ZS's now but all been 4 pots. Going to look at a mk1 180 tomorow so need some advice of what to look for.

I know about the vis motors and the clutch problems but what is it on these two things that i actually need to look at\listen for?

Also i know the v6 isn't that common for hgf but when it does go is it the same symptoms as the 4 pot? mayo under oil cap and in the expansion tank?
HGF signs show up the same in all cars i think as for the 180 the vis motors and inlet manifold listen for rattling from mostly the drivers side around the inlet manifold, when driving the car if there is a noticeable kick around 3000 revs the vis are playing up, also check under the engine cover in the v of the engine for orange gunge a sign the thermostat housing is leaking as for the clutch it is the slave cylinder that goes mostly but i think that is quite hit and miss and can go at any time, check for the belts having been done as it's expensive to do and mk2's horn and alarm sounders get wet far to easily and die.

Nor
06-02-10, 11:02 PM
A 180 should feel pretty lively anywhere in the rev range. If it feels slow, then something's not quite right.

talkingcars
07-02-10, 06:58 AM
Other things which are less of a problem but will help knock down the price are

1) fan speeds 1 and/or 2 on the mk1 not working
2) AC not blowing really cold
3) windows, especially the drivers side, not going all the way down and up smoothly
4) brakes binding

Southside_ZS
07-02-10, 08:35 AM
Well its cheap enough as it is hence me going to view it. Its got no service book so i dont know about belts but its only got 37k miles and seller claims to have all old mot's to back it up so well see later.

Dan1971
07-02-10, 09:09 AM
Well its cheap enough as it is hence me going to view it. Its got no service book so i dont know about belts but its only got 37k miles and seller claims to have all old mot's to back it up so well see later.

Then plan to spend about £600 on a full service and belt change straight away.

Southside_ZS
07-02-10, 09:41 AM
Then plan to spend about £600 on a full service and belt change straight away.

To be honest if the belt snaps the belt snaps. At the price i've been offered it for im not gonna lose alot as if the worst hapened i could make my money back breaking it. I'll give it an oil service but im to fussed about spending all that money on the belts.

Dan1971
07-02-10, 11:51 AM
Then good luck....

Must admit, the idea of someone running it until it dies is pretty interesting just to see how long it'd go for. Crack on with it mate ...

mattie007
07-02-10, 01:39 PM
As long as it don't snap at high speeds!

Southside_ZS
07-02-10, 05:58 PM
Well i bought it, Turned out to be better than expected. VIS motors are silent, 35k miles which i beleive is genuine, All mot's seam to add up with mileage seats are mint with no wear and minimal creasing including the drivers bolster. only 2 previous owners from new first being someone in admin at Longbridge.

Monogram colour with monogram interior. Bodywork does have a few marks on it but my mate owns a bodyshop so not fussed about that it was the engine i was most worried about but it pulls like a train in all gears.

All for the sum of £1100 with 2 months tax and 8months mot. Will get some pics up when i've washed it.

Rabett
08-02-10, 03:06 PM
Very nice! What Monogram is it?

Stephen
08-02-10, 03:39 PM
Probably Typhoon. Well i have my money on typhoon as its the most common! will be suprised if its not.

Rabett
08-02-10, 03:47 PM
Probably Typhoon. Well i have my money on typhoon as its the most common! will be suprised if its not.

could well be right. Typhoon with a blue alcantara interior

Stephen
08-02-10, 03:50 PM
Could also be Celestial Blue. Know of one about that mileage recently for sale.

Rabett
08-02-10, 04:02 PM
Could also be Celestial Blue. Know of one about that mileage recently for sale.

There was also a Saffron ZS 180 on gumtree a little while ago for about that much as well.

Glen290
08-02-10, 04:39 PM
Other things which are less of a problem but will help knock down the price are

3) windows, especially the drivers side, not going all the way down and up smoothly

Mine does that !! :wacko:

Southside_ZS
08-02-10, 05:05 PM
Yup its Celestial with all the Blue dash and door trim cappings and blue steering wheel inside

Guy wanted £1600 for it but knocked him down when i told him about price of cambelt change and he knocked abit extra off for keeping the stereo.

Rabett
08-02-10, 06:02 PM
Yup its Celestial with all the Blue dash and door trim cappings and blue steering wheel inside

Guy wanted £1600 for it but knocked him down when i told him about price of cambelt change and he knocked abit extra off for keeping the stereo.

Nice! Was that the one that was on ebay with the aftermarket wheels and extreme spoiler?

Southside_ZS
08-02-10, 06:09 PM
Nice! Was that the one that was on ebay with the aftermarket wheels and extreme spoiler?

Yea thats the one. With all the silver bits. Luckily most of the silver bits are just stickers. Only bits that are painted are wing mirror covers and sideskirts so i need to get my mate to do them back Celestial.

Wheels are going in favour of my TSW Catalunya's. But i want some straights for it to put back on when i sell it so the wheels that are on it now will but up for swaps with straights soon.

Steves Cleenz
08-02-10, 08:49 PM
was that the one from round here Sean ?