PDA

View Full Version : going to look at mgf trophy

drewbles
15-02-10, 07:27 PM
hi guys going to look at an mgf trophy 160 tomorrow, just wondered if anyone on here had dealt with/owned one before and apart from headgasket what else to look out for thanks in advance Andy

yellowzr
15-02-10, 08:00 PM
hi I had a TF the clutch slave cylinder is a common problem mine went in a week of buying it

Paul

drewbles
15-02-10, 08:04 PM
hi there thanks is that expensive to sort out?

yellowzr
15-02-10, 08:32 PM
it was about £25.00 for the cylinder then just time to fit it I did it myself

Paul

Rabett
15-02-10, 08:34 PM
Is it this one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-MG-MGF-trophy-160-in-rare-Yellow_W0QQitemZ250562377388QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAut omobiles_UK?hash=item3a56ae76ac

Squeaks
15-02-10, 08:37 PM
Hi.

I own a MGF 160 Trophy in yellow!! :)

Things to look out for.

Not a huge amount other than the headgasket, check its had the belts done, service history upto date, it has hyrogas suspension which is hard as a rock so its quite a ferm ride, make sure its all level & pumped up.
check the exhaust is not blowing, the flexi pipe can split after awhile & its abit of a git to fix.

Make sure its a genuine trophy, you can tell these apart as they have 16" 11spoke alloys, big brakes ( no abs ) & colour coded interior, oh and ofcourse the rear spoiler & front splitter.

Being a 160 its a very nippy little car & defently the one to go for.

best of luck with the viewing.

if all fails on this one

Mine is forsale :) lol

Squeaks
15-02-10, 08:38 PM
Is it this one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-MG-MGF-trophy-160-in-rare-Yellow_W0QQitemZ250562377388QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAut omobiles_UK?hash=item3a56ae76ac

That one is well over priced considering mine has 42k on the clock with hardtop & private plate & all im looking for is £3750

drewbles
15-02-10, 08:43 PM
Is it this one?

hi mate no not that one

peterzs
15-02-10, 08:53 PM
Best of luck tomorrow, hope you like it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

drewbles
15-02-10, 08:59 PM
Hi.

I own a MGF 160 Trophy in yellow!! :)

Things to look out for.

Not a huge amount other than the headgasket, check its had the belts done, service history upto date, it has hyrogas suspension which is hard as a rock so its quite a ferm ride, make sure its all level & pumped up.
check the exhaust is not blowing, the flexi pipe can split after awhile & its abit of a git to fix.

Make sure its a genuine trophy, you can tell these apart as they have 16" 11spoke alloys, big brakes ( no abs ) & colour coded interior, oh and ofcourse the rear spoiler & front splitter.

Being a 160 its a very nippy little car & defently the one to go for.

best of luck with the viewing.

if all fails on this one

Mine is forsale :) lol

cheers for that fella ive already bought it it was on ebay listed wrongly it was up for buy it now 2400 but got it for 2300, spoke to the bloke about a few things he priced it low cos hes just bought a van and he wants to kit it out for work,the mot runs out at the end of this month but its only done 54k he has bill for headgasket etc being done and service history and it looks nice from pics, it has everything you mentioned apart from colour coded steering wheel, but i brought it on the understanding that i would have it if it was as he described it

stamford
15-02-10, 09:06 PM
I was going to say christ that one is expensive (first ebay link)! I recently bought an MGF SE Wedgewood, MY2000 for £2100 with 57k from new. That is a limited run, 1 of 500. Get some pics up, sounds nice.

Squeaks
15-02-10, 09:07 PM
cheers for that fella ive already bought it it was on ebay listed wrongly it was up for buy it now 2400 but got it for 2300, spoke to the bloke about a few things he priced it low cos hes just bought a van and he wants to kit it out for work,the mot runs out at the end of this month but its only done 54k he has bill for headgasket etc being done and service history and it looks nice from pics, it has everything you mentioned apart from colour coded steering wheel, but i brought it on the understanding that i would have it if it was as he described it

think i saw that one listed, wonder why it doesnt have the colour coded s/wheel. all trophys are ment to have them as standard. hope its a good one, you got a bargain there.

drewbles
15-02-10, 09:08 PM
Best of luck tomorrow, hope you like it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

cheers mate still got the zs but gonna put it up for sale soon as due to circumstances needed something a bit less dear to run lol, i couldnt believe the difference between the insurance prices as they are both group 16 but ive got the mgf 400 pound cheaper work that out:hmmm:

stamford
15-02-10, 09:10 PM
We opted for the 120 as the VVC would be too much for the missus. Insurance-wise it was alot cheaper. Anyways they are the same until you wind the VVC up then it takes off.

drewbles
15-02-10, 09:15 PM
think i saw that one listed, wonder why it doesnt have the colour coded s/wheel. all trophys are ment to have them as standard. hope its a good one, you got a bargain there.

yeh i couldnt work that out bout the steering wheel i bet theyre hard to get hold of as well arent they lol,dont worry ill have a good look round it,only thing im not looking forward to is the hairdresser comments, which ive never understood as i bet i wouldnt get that if i was driving down the road in a convertible F430

drewbles
15-02-10, 09:21 PM
We opted for the 120 as the VVC would be too much for the missus. Insurance-wise it was alot cheaper. Anyways they are the same until you wind the VVC up then it takes off.

lol ive heard and read they are quick but never actually been in one, if i get it i will take some pics of it sitting next to the zs, 2x trophy yellow

Ritchy
15-02-10, 09:23 PM
as said the hydrogas can go funny sometimes n usual k series problems withaltenators and heads apart from that nothing much really

Squeaks
15-02-10, 09:37 PM
yeh i couldnt work that out bout the steering wheel i bet theyre hard to get hold of as well arent they lol,dont worry ill have a good look round it,only thing im not looking forward to is the hairdresser comments, which ive never understood as i bet i wouldnt get that if i was driving down the road in a convertible F430

I never got the hairdresser comments with mine, i got the "dont go 2 near brighton" jokes lol didnt annoy me at all coz most the time the person saying it was in like a corsa

lol ive heard and read they are quick but never actually been in one, if i get it i will take some pics of it sitting next to the zs, 2x trophy yellow

They are quick, great fun to drive, took mine to a mg on track day at north wealds. think i had the most fun out of everyone, you will love it

Is your ZS a 180? Im rather tempted by a yellow Mk1 180 to eventally replace my Mk2 & to go with a MGF lol

cheers mate still got the zs but gonna put it up for sale soon as due to circumstances needed something a bit less dear to run lol, i couldnt believe the difference between the insurance prices as they are both group 16 but ive got the mgf 400 pound cheaper work that out:hmmm:

Im 22 & was paying £520 fully comp with 5yrs no claims on the MGF now with the ZS im paying £749 fully comp with 5yrs no claims.

Makes no sence to me.

drewbles
15-02-10, 09:46 PM
I never got the hairdresser comments with mine, i got the "dont go 2 near brighton" jokes lol didnt annoy me at all coz most the time the person saying it was in like a corsa

it really winds me up lol mostly from the helmets at work

They are quick, great fun to drive, took mine to a mg on track day at north wealds. think i had the most fun out of everyone, you will love it

Is your ZS a 180? Im rather tempted by a yellow Mk1 180 to eventally replace my Mk2 & to go with a MGF lol

ive never drove a rear wheel drive car are they lively on the back end, yes mate my zs is a 180(only one to have)

Im 22 & was paying £520 fully comp with 5yrs no claims on the MGF now with the ZS im paying £749 fully comp with 5yrs no claims.

Makes no sence to me.

im 24 paying £1052 on the zs fully comp 3 years ncb and the mgf is £658 fully comp

Squeaks
15-02-10, 09:48 PM
im 24 paying £1052 on the zs fully comp 3 years ncb and the mgf is £658 fully comp

Thats a huge difference for 2 group16 cars.

My insurance company couldnt come up with a valid reason so just said its coz the ZS is newer lol!

drewbles
15-02-10, 10:00 PM
Thats a huge difference for 2 group16 cars.

My insurance company couldnt come up with a valid reason so just said its coz the ZS is newer lol!

i dont get it either mate you would think if anything the f would be more cos the soft top

RalphG
16-02-10, 01:50 PM
BTW There are 2 types of Trophy cars. The original cars were a limited run, with ABS being a cost option. The phase 2 Trophies had ABS as standard.

Bobdope2002
16-02-10, 02:45 PM

Why????

You have a MK2 ZS why swop to a MK1 Makes No Sense to me

jamiehunn
16-02-10, 03:39 PM
Got your new car then drew! Any chance of popping round tonight and giving me a short back and sides! Snip Snip!!!!!!

drewbles
16-02-10, 05:06 PM
Got your new car then drew! Any chance of popping round tonight and giving me a short back and sides! Snip Snip!!!!!!

f**k off lol

drewbles
16-02-10, 05:09 PM
Why????

You have a MK2 ZS why swop to a MK1 Makes No Sense to me

apart from bodykit and wheels etc on the mk2, were the mk 1s not better made especially the early ones before the cost cutting

vinny1979
16-02-10, 05:29 PM
urban legend

my mk2 is fantastic