PDA

View Full Version : This weekend didn't quite go to plan.......

stamford
21-02-10, 08:57 PM
Spent Saturday morning under the Discovery sorting the diesel leak, it cost me £8.50 for a new fuel filter, that's all it needed! However the spongy brakes turned into something much worse..................fluid pissing out the rear somewhere. Looks like the rear pipes need replacing and they are a full run! Looks like the repair centre will get a shitty call from me this week. So the Disco is now off road waiting to get fixed.

During the calls through my insurance company to get some information on the 3rd party'd insurers and my legal rights I decided to speak to them about my zed. I dropped the old Xsara off the policy as that is no longer being driven and for another £49 the ZS is back on the road! So it has been washed, checked over and taxed! :D It's like having a new car, it's great to be behind the wheel terrorising folk again! :w00t:

I'm sure Kathy will be pleased as she gets her MGF back now.

starfire039
21-02-10, 09:01 PM
Still a pain with the insurance on the Disco but fantastic news about the Zed, glad she's back on the road! I did a quote on gocompare.com, my cheapest being £1000 after my 21st birthday and holding a license for 3 years, was NOT happy, however Direct Line can do insurance for £535 on my mum's policy, so I'm tempted!

Bet it's good fun being behind the wheel of her again! So jealous!

stamford
21-02-10, 09:06 PM
Cheers Steve, yes :D Great fun! It wasn't planned, just circumstances made it happen that way. It would be cheaper to tax the zed than to get the brakes repaired I reckon! Having checked out the information it is a right pita as the pipes run the full length and a right biatch to do as they disappear between the body and the upper chassis rails. Getting them off in one piece in order to use them as a template for new ones is a challenge.

Ritchy
21-02-10, 09:14 PM
nice one gettin the car on the road, shame about the disco! would be ragin hard to find a decent bodyshop these days and theyre really expensive

grimmy
21-02-10, 09:21 PM
Bollocks about the disco Mick but getting the zed back on the road is a bonus it's to nice a car to be off the road .

Maxfly
21-02-10, 09:31 PM
Top stuff about getting the Zed back on the prowl:police:

So far in my limited experience of doing brakes pipes i have found when you think the jobs going to be a pain in the arse it goes smoothly with nae problems....but when you think it's going to be a piece of **** it turns into a nightmare lol:chair:

stamford
21-02-10, 09:38 PM
I know this is going to be a pain as I cannot see where they route and I have been all under the darned thing! I don't think my poorly back will cope! The zed had been off road since last September, just needed priming and she's as sweet as a nut. I think the neighbours had hoped I had sold it, now they can hear it again :D

Looks good with two MGs up the drive.

will-w
21-02-10, 09:43 PM
Talking about a nightmare with the disco, but on the plus side you get the zed back on the road! :D

I agree with Maxfly; if you think a job is going to be a total PITA then it usually goes quite well, to the point where I always set myself up for a tough job in the hope that it turns out to be nice and easy!

however Direct Line can do insurance for £535 on my mum's policy, so I'm tempted!

Tut tut! Fronting is naughty you know and puts everyone elses insurance up! :evilmad:

I did it for a year and regretted it, it may have saved me £400 that year but I easily lost that by not having the NCD the following year

starfire039
22-02-10, 03:47 AM
Talking about a nightmare with the disco, but on the plus side you get the zed back on the road! :D

I agree with Maxfly; if you think a job is going to be a total PITA then it usually goes quite well, to the point where I always set myself up for a tough job in the hope that it turns out to be nice and easy!

Tut tut! Fronting is naughty you know and puts everyone elses insurance up! :evilmad:

I did it for a year and regretted it, it may have saved me £400 that year but I easily lost that by not having the NCD the following year

Nothing wrong with what I'm doing at all, she is the policy holder, as well as the legal owner of the car, however the insurance company are aware I am the main driver. :p

As for the idea it's a false economy- it's either £500 odd a year for insurance- or nothing at all, as I cannot afford £1000 a year for insurance as a student.

To be honest though, my girlfriend raised a valid point, I might get a 125cc bike if I earn enough money over summer. Much cheaper to run. I am getting my hopes up with the dream of getting behind my ZS again, I don't think it's going to happen and the longer I have hold of it the more it's going to torment me!

talkingcars
22-02-10, 05:10 AM
Is it worth just removing the damaged section of pipe and putting a joint in, it isn't difficult to flair brake pipe if you've got the correct tools.

stamford
22-02-10, 08:07 AM
Is it worth just removing the damaged section of pipe and putting a joint in, it isn't difficult to flair brake pipe if you've got the correct tools.

The pipe is well corroded, it was an advisory but in all honesty it should have failed! The only way to do it is to replace the whole run, both sides as well. Not much point doing one piece considering the condition.

I may as well get a Haynes and see where the pipe terminates, might have a go seeing that it is undriveable as it is off the road up the drive. I did consider purchasing a flaring kit but I guess the only one worthwhile would be the Sykes Pickavent version and that's not cheap. Just seen this (http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/brake_pipe_flaring_kit.cfm) one, looks decent enough, anyone got one they could recommend?

peterzs
22-02-10, 11:15 AM
I always hated brakes, Midget, Mini and MGB's, whenever I changed wheel cylinders the brake pipe nut would be siezed and even with the brake spanners the nuts would round off. When they did come apart they never wanted to thread back in.

We use Thread and Pipe down here, make the pipe up a lot cheaper, can you cut the pipe where it goes up and under and get a joiner??

You going for s/s or copper pipe?? Or as you say get a flare kit and DIY.

Best of luck, this is where you want a lift or a pit, makes it so much easier. Least youve got the ZS to make you smile.

:):):):):)

Ritchy
22-02-10, 11:56 AM
pretty sure the works one is sykes, you can get an on the car one, you could join a pipe to the existing one to save doing a full run

Dan1971
22-02-10, 12:17 PM
Sell it.

stamford
22-02-10, 12:19 PM
Sell it.

Gee thanks, that's very helpful! It's not a ZS ;)

Dan1971
22-02-10, 12:53 PM
Gee thanks, that's very helpful! It's not a ZS ;)

That's me ...helpful Dan !

Seriously ... sounds like a load of back-breaking grief, that'll sit on your drive and end up costing a load.

Cut your losses - get rid mate, and enjoy the Zed.

stamford
22-02-10, 12:57 PM
It's worth more when it's sorted, it is a TD5 series 2 not a 200 or 300. It's ideal for the dogs and towing ;) I'll get it sorted, just a case of who will do it, trading standards have been approached ;)

Dan1971
22-02-10, 01:39 PM
Then good luck with it and i hope it doesn't cost you too much time and money to put right.

stamford
22-02-10, 02:14 PM
It hasn't cost me anything yet apart from the initial purchase. Anyone who knows Land Rovers will know it is not a case of 'if' it breaks down but 'when'! The insurance issues will be sorted, the brake issue can be sorted, worst case I'll get it done just to get it mobile again. The joys of motoring!

ZS
22-02-10, 06:29 PM
Anyone who knows Land Rovers will know it is not a case of 'if' it breaks down but 'when'!

Aint that the truth!! However you can usually find the parts at a very good price if doing it yourself ;) in my experience anyway....

talkingcars
22-02-10, 07:03 PM
Even if you are replacing the whole length you could re-route it and make it in a couple of sections

yellowzr
22-02-10, 08:06 PM
stamford try martinmotors 4x4 they are just outside Worcester I used them when I had the Rangie good price and mailorder

Paul

stamford
22-02-10, 10:15 PM
Even if you are replacing the whole length you could re-route it and make it in a couple of sections

The biggest problem I have is..........me! Being an engineer I hate crap designs and short cuts, but you could be right there, it'll make it easier for sure ;)

stamford try martinmotors 4x4 they are just outside Worcester I used them when I had the Rangie good price and mailorder

Paul

Cheers mate.