PDA

View Full Version : Considering a 180

ThumpJunkie
30-03-10, 08:49 AM
Some of you will know that I drive a turbo ZR. I love the car dearly, however it's an absolute money pit, mostly through choice! I keep thinking I'm done modifying it, then something else will catch my eye, and I'll have to have it.

Anyone, I've always thought of the mk2 180 saloon as the nicest looking car Rover ever made, and have always said that I'd get one if I ever decided to sell the ZR - I'm not quite decided yet, but I'm in the consideration stages.

So, talk to me. I know of a few of the issues, expensive cambelt changes, VIS issues, etc., however other than that I'm not sure what to look out for on the cars. What's the tax like? Insurance group (will probably be less than my current 20A :hmm::rofl:)?

I'd probably lower it and get a new exhaust system, but other than that I don't really want to spend much money on it, so any advice or buying tips would be appreciated :)

Maxfly
30-03-10, 09:29 AM
As i said to ye bud you wouldn't regret it imo. May be the same as i was and take a bit for a ZS to grow into ye after a ZR but wouldn't get shot of mine for the world now:D
Mick put up a buying guide in a couple of parts here http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11254&highlight=buying+guide

Also watch you don't buy too new a 180 as the later ones have a whore a tax to pay on em, £435 odd as opposed to the £235 i pay for mine:)
No sure if it's mentioned in the guide but there was a recall on MK"'s to fit a suppressor to stop windows opening and boots popping by themselves, most should be done and certainly isn't a big job if it has not:)
Insurance group is 16 iirc, costs me £300 per year FC wi 10 yr NCB and garaged:D mileage of 6K annually. Thats through Adrian Flux capacitor:)

Glen290
30-03-10, 10:26 AM
Do it, go out and buy one while they are as cheap as chips at the moment, dont get a saloon though, the hatches are far nicer looking :laugh:

Alan.F
30-03-10, 10:40 AM
Do it, go out and buy one while they are as cheap as chips at the moment, dont get a saloon though, the hatches are far nicer looking :laugh:

you would say that seriously tho apart from the fuel economy from my derv i have now i really really miss my 180

grimmy
30-03-10, 11:08 AM
Amazing how you almost described my car stuart mk2 180 lowered with a different exhaust:greedy:

stamford
30-03-10, 12:37 PM
TJ, what worries me is the lack of control when modding! What are you going to do when you get the urge to modify a 180? It will cost you more than you realise to get serious horses.

Also this'll mean you coming on here more! :laugh:

On the plus side you will get a good example as it is a buyers market and always will be.

Is this a sign that you are growing up?:fishing:

ThumpJunkie
30-03-10, 12:41 PM
As i said to ye bud you wouldn't regret it imo. May be the same as i was and take a bit for a ZS to grow into ye after a ZR but wouldn't get shot of mine for the world now:D
Mick put up a buying guide in a couple of parts here http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11254&highlight=buying+guide

Also watch you don't buy too new a 180 as the later ones have a whore a tax to pay on em, £435 odd as opposed to the £235 i pay for mine:)
No sure if it's mentioned in the guide but there was a recall on MK"'s to fit a suppressor to stop windows opening and boots popping by themselves, most should be done and certainly isn't a big job if it has not:)
Insurance group is 16 iirc, costs me £300 per year FC wi 10 yr NCB and garaged:D mileage of 6K annually. Thats through Adrian Flux capacitor:)
Ta mate, that guide's excellent. Drop of four insurance groups too, bonus! Tax isn't too bad either :)

TBH they'll just keep getting cheaper. Have to say I do much prefer the spoon, plus the boot space is immense.

Amazing how you almost described my car stuart mk2 180 lowered with a different exhaust:greedy:
You and Gary's are the ones I keep thinking off... maybe Kev's too if he'd grow some balls and fit the big spoiler :boxing:

ThumpJunkie
30-03-10, 12:47 PM
TJ, what worries me is the lack of control when modding! What are you going to do when you get the urge to modify a 180? It will cost you more than you realise to get serious horses.
The mk2 180 seriously doesn't need anything done to it, I WON'T go much further than exhaust and suspension. Look at my ZR - poor attempt at copying the 180's wide arches! :hooray: I've done the silly turbo and daft interior, and I'm settled down now with a family, so maybe it's time to be more "sensible" :)

Also this'll mean you coming on here more! :laugh:
I'm always on here stalking your daughter anyway... :ninja::fishing:

On the plus side you will get a good example as it is a buyers market and always will be.
Exactly, I've seen a mk2 180 go for £1700, and a mk1 for under a grand recently!

Is this a sign that you are growing up?:fishing:
Penis fart vagina testicles minge bogies bum willy poo :hooray:

stamford
30-03-10, 12:54 PM
Spoke too soon! :laugh:

Anyways Gina is a VW girl now!

ThumpJunkie
30-03-10, 12:55 PM
Spoke too soon! :laugh:

Anyways Gina is a VW girl now!
I just bought a Golf.

:ninja:

stamford
30-03-10, 12:57 PM
Go pester her on dubscene, she runs a Scirocco GTi ;)

ThumpJunkie
30-03-10, 01:03 PM
Go pester her on dubscene, she runs a Scirocco GTi ;)
I saw ;) Immense choice of motor!

Anyway, back to this ZS malarky... hopefully some of my local chums will be able to come with me to any viewings? :)

Maxfly
30-03-10, 02:58 PM
I saw ;) Immense choice of motor!

Anyway, back to this ZS malarky... hopefully some of my local chums will be able to come with me to any viewings? :)

Aye, if I'm aff nae bother fella:) Would say that it can take a wee while at times for them to pop up local enough to be worthwhile going to see!! Was looking for ages for mine and still had to drive from Inverness to Dundee to check it over lol:D

You can still do plenty modding with them but it can more often than not just be wee touches to make it your own.

An the other thing is that the bodykit is very susceptible to stone chips so check that, especially the spats on the rear doors:)

ThumpJunkie
30-03-10, 03:58 PM
Aye, if I'm aff nae bother fella:) Would say that it can take a wee while at times for them to pop up local enough to be worthwhile going to see!! Was looking for ages for mine and still had to drive from Inverness to Dundee to check it over lol:D

You can still do plenty modding with them but it can more often than not just be wee touches to make it your own.

An the other thing is that the bodykit is very susceptible to stone chips so check that, especially the spats on the rear doors:)
Aye, was thinking that I'll probably have to travel. If it's local I'll see if Kev wants to tag along and advise me too.

I wouldn't really be doing much TBH, just the things like you've done which improve the car without necessarily making it appear modified... rear headrests, HIDs, tub of lube in the armrest, etc..

arwilson80
30-03-10, 04:23 PM
tub of lube in the armrest...

You still need it? I thought you would've been past that point now... :p :happy2:

ThumpJunkie
30-03-10, 04:31 PM
You still need it? I thought you would've been past that point now... :p :happy2:
Blood is my lubrication of choice these days.

Maxfly
30-03-10, 04:43 PM
Aye, was thinking that I'll probably have to travel. If it's local I'll see if Kev wants to tag along and advise me too.

I wouldn't really be doing much TBH, just the things like you've done which improve the car without necessarily making it appear modified... rear headrests, HIDs, tub of lube in the armrest, etc..

Aye Kevs ze man, helped me oot over the phone when myself and Sammy were checking over mine:)

An I've telt ye before i don't use lube, am a hardcore highlander and prefer swarfega:D

grimmy
30-03-10, 05:58 PM
Aye Kevs ze man, helped me oot over the phone when myself and Sammy were checking over mine:)

An I've telt ye before i don't use lube, am a hardcore highlander and prefer swarfega:D
Yeah the swarfega with bits in yeeha.

ThumpJunkie
30-03-10, 07:04 PM
Yeah the swarfega with bits in yeeha.
Ribbed for YOUR pleasure.

talkingcars
30-03-10, 07:23 PM
What's to think about, the ZS is a much more grown up car all round.

I've just driven 200 miles in mine, 80 of this on local roads in rush hour traffic avoiding the M25, got out as fresh as when I got in.

ThumpJunkie
30-03-10, 07:29 PM
What's to think about, the ZS is a much more grown up car all round.

Much slower car too ;)

It's not all about being grown-up: it won't have the engine wow factor the ZR has; it won't have the interior wow factor the ZR has; it won't be stupid and have a PS2 in it or have a sump that batters every speedbump around or stand out from all the others and win multiple trophies like the ZR does; and as nice a car as they are, they don't turn heads like my ZR does.

Think that quite comprehensively answers your question.

I've just driven 200 miles in mine, 80 of this on local roads in rush hour traffic avoiding the M25, got out as fresh as when I got in.
I drove over 800 miles last weekend, and got out as fresh as when I got in with four awards in my hand. You're meant to be convincing me, not making my ZR sound better :rofl:

Jay-ZS+
30-03-10, 07:38 PM
The Zs is a good choice ;)

talkingcars
30-03-10, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't say that my T16 maestro is that much quicker than my ZS, yes I know it's running a low psi and no intercooler but even so. The ZS will be quicker than you ZR in the twisty bits and a standard ZS180 is quicker than a standard ZR160 in a straight line drag after the first few yards.

What sump have you got on your tubby, I had a vitesse one on my originally, it would grind on the road under heavy breaking!

KevG
30-03-10, 07:39 PM
You and Gary's are the ones I keep thinking off... maybe Kev's too if he'd grow some balls and fit the big spoiler :boxing:

:laugh: For what is it is worth, I have the low level spoiler for reasons that I want to be different and NOT follow the rest of the ironing board spoiler :sheep:, plus I think it makes the ZS look like a cash 'n' carry shopping trolley! :laugh:

No probs, if I'm free and nothing on, I'll give ye a hand to look.

Yeah, done this over the phone, listening for plenum rattles etc, that was a funny moment!:laugh::laugh:

KevG
30-03-10, 07:41 PM
i wouldn't say that my t16 maestro is that much quicker than my zs, yes i know it's running a low psi and no intercooler but even so. The zs will be quicker than you zr in the twisty bits and a standard zr180 is quicker than a standard zr180 in a straight line drag after the first few yards.

What sump have you got on your tubby, i had a vitesse one on my originally, it would grind on the road under heavy breaking!

zr180??

ThumpJunkie
30-03-10, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't say that my T16 maestro is that much quicker than my ZS, yes I know it's running a low psi and no intercooler but even so. The ZS will be quicker than you ZR in the twisty bits and a standard ZR180 is quicker than a standard ZR180 in a straight line drag after the first few yards.

What sump have you got on your tubby, I had a vitesse one on my originally, it would grind on the road under heavy breaking!
If you're meaning the ZR 160, there is something like 0.1 of a second difference in 0-60 times between that and a 180. My ZR was a 160 to begin with, and I can assure you that the extra 60+ horses from the new engine make quite a bit of difference.

The sump's a Ti one, it batters everything, actually surprised there's any oil left in the car! :fun:

:laugh: For what is it is worth, I have the low level spoiler for reasons that I want to be different and NOT follow the rest of the ironing board spoiler :sheep:, plus I think it makes the ZS look like a cash 'n' carry shopping trolley! :laugh:
I know, we've had this discussion a few times and I still think you're a jobbyheid for not getting one! :yay:

No probs, if I'm free and nothing on, I'll give ye a hand to look.
Good man, I knew you'd be willing to help out if possible, thanks Kev :)

Jay-ZS+
30-03-10, 07:51 PM
Maybe the 0-60 times arnt much different but its the corners that make you smile in a 180, Id suggest you take one for a decent test drive and see how it compares to the ZR you may be pleasantly surprised. Nows a good time to buy when they are going so cheap, maybe some more bargins as the petrol prices keep going up too!! Its a buyers market :)

ThumpJunkie
30-03-10, 07:54 PM
Maybe the 0-60 times arnt much different but its the corners that make you smile in a 180, Id suggest you take one for a decent test drive and see how it compares to the ZR you may be pleasantly surprised. Nows a good time to buy when they are going so cheap, maybe some more bargins as the petrol prices keep going up too!! Its a buyers market :)
Definitely mate, I've always wanted one, and the prices are ridiculously low right now.

WRT handling, the lump of pig iron at the front of my car and the fact it's so low that the tyres scrape off the inner arches makes it about as much use on the corners as a mingeless hooker! I've always been attracted by the ZS's handling TBH.

Maxfly
30-03-10, 08:00 PM
Yeah, done this over the phone, listening for plenum rattles etc, that was a funny moment!:laugh::laugh:

lol i mind saying tae Sammy, whit the fecks that rattling noise?? Response straight away, I don't know....tell ye what I'll phone kev:D

Definitely mate, I've always wanted one, and the prices are ridiculously low right now.

WRT handling, the lump of pig iron at the front of my car and the fact it's so low that the tyres scrape off the inner arches makes it about as much use on the corners as a mingeless hooker! I've always been attracted by the ZS's handling TBH.

Could actually be quite interesting that one, sure there are plenty uses for ane o them:D

rozzr
30-03-10, 08:25 PM
Much better build quality in the ZS too mate, makes a nice change after a ZR.

talkingcars
31-03-10, 06:47 PM
zr180??

I was tired!

talkingcars
31-03-10, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't say that my T16 maestro is that much quicker than my ZS, yes I know it's running a low psi and no intercooler but even so. The ZS will be quicker than you ZR in the twisty bits and a standard ZS180 is quicker than a standard ZR160 in a straight line drag after the first few yards.

If you're meaning the ZR 160, there is something like 0.1 of a second difference in 0-60 times between that and a 180. My ZR was a 160 to begin with, and I can assure you that the extra 60+ horses from the new engine make quite a bit of difference.

I'm talking from personal experience of driving my ZS180, my wives ZR160 and my maestro T16 along the different routes that I have been using to get to and from work for the last 3 years.

I'm not talking about on paper, I'm talking about the cars outside my house, just need to try our MGF VVC to see how that compares.