PDA

View Full Version : 180 v 120 - running costs, repairs, etc

rozzr
07-04-10, 10:32 AM
Hi guys, looking at changing up to a 180 from my 120 but just not sure how badly I will get hit by bigger costs when I do.

Is fuel consumption & maintanence costs that much higher on a 180? Also if things do go wrong is it a whole lot more to repair a 180?

Thanks for any info, will help me make my decision!

Rory

starfire039
07-04-10, 10:55 AM
180:

MPG 29
Insurance Group 16
Euro Emissions Standard III
CO2 Emissions 227 g/km
Road Tax Band K

120:

MPG 38
Insurance Group 11
Euro Emissions Standard III
CO2 Emissions 174 g/km
Road Tax Band H

With a 180 are you are looking at clutch slave cylinder issues, rattly plenum causing a loss of power and ~£500 for a replacement, VIS issues.

That said, you don't have to worry as much about HGF. Apart from plenum and VIS issues the KV6 is pretty solid.

Cambelt changes are very expensive. Get one with belts done.

Apart from that, you will find the same old stiff rear door handles, heater blower 1&2 not working, leaky boot, rattly door issues that you might find on a 120, all of which are easy fixes!

Steves Cleenz
07-04-10, 11:08 AM
tax is £215 a year if its a 55 plate or under for a 180,

my 180 round town does 120 miles to £20 of fuel, on a run £20 will get me 130 -135 miles

Jay-ZS+
07-04-10, 11:23 AM
Will depend on how many miles you do, currently I do very few so the petrol difference is really noticeable. Although the power difference is :D

But as Steve says if you can find one with the belts done will save you a fair few quid!

StragglaSteve
07-04-10, 11:34 AM
dont forget, bigger pads and disks on the 180 cost more to replace

the 180 also uses more Spark plugs, but tbh thats only a tiny extra cost

and, there seems to be less parts available for the 180? guys having issues with getting hold of radiators i think?

stamford
07-04-10, 01:01 PM
there seems to be less parts available for the 180? guys having issues with getting hold of radiators i think?

:hmmm: broken radiators...............two things wrong here.

1. driving too close to the one infront.
2. why are you behind someone when you should be infront of them!

I wouldn't worry too much about that, if we all worried about availability of parts we would never drive them, we would be too afraid!

The only things I can see differing greatly would be the insurance, tax and fuel usage. Plenum/VIS is easier to live with than HGF! Both equally costly to put right if the plenum is worn, VIS is easy to sort. However the car can still be driven but with HGF, well we all know the score on that one ;)

Zippy Saloon
07-04-10, 01:45 PM
you will find the same old stiff rear door handles, heater blower 1&2 not working, leaky boot, rattly door issues that you might find on a 120, all of which are easy fixes!How do you cure the handles, mines a little stiffer in the rear (:ohmy::blush:)

R8NMG
07-04-10, 01:55 PM
I did just that and upgraded from a 120 to a 180.

The very first thing I stepped into the 180 I noticed and remembered well the difference between a 4 pot and a V6 engine. The smooth whoosh sound when slightly revving the V6 compare to the 4 pot.

Second is fuel. It was very noticeable the difference in fuel use. Yes on book figures there aren't a great deal difference between 38MPG v 29MPG but I am forever filling up £20 of fuel in the 180 compare to the 120 (when the fuel was much cheaper back then).

I have always had main dealer service in the 120 and the 180 and the price difference aren't that much significant. Presume the main difference is the cambelt change on the 180.

If it is a mk2 180 then you won't have the heater blower 1 & 2 not working problem as it will be ATC but when that goes wrong it could troublesome.

StragglaSteve
07-04-10, 02:45 PM
take the 120 to DVA Power for their 180bhp kit! :fishing:

Dan1971
07-04-10, 03:29 PM
I've managed 32 mpg in mine in mixed driving conditions last week. My insurance renewal was £290 fully comp - protected. I got it serviced in Feb for £150 by providing the parts and standing over the mechanic while he did the service. Both vis motors can be repaired if you're that way inclined or picked up for about £40.

Trouble is that if you drive it like you want to and to hear the V6, then you'll get a lot less. After 2 very dull tankfulls - I've got a quarter tank left this time having clocked up only 170 miles. Much more fun though.

Never driven a 120, so I don't know how different they drive. Anyone near you with a 180 who'll let you have a wee drive ?

mattie007
07-04-10, 06:10 PM
I like these threads!
Ive just got 470 miles from a tank on a 120, about 40mpg. Thats a drive to Southampton and back on duel carriageways at 60mph and a bit of town driving. To be honest, im disappointed with that as I never went above 2.5k revs. Think it may need a service or something is wrong. Ive had 540 from a run to Scotland once.

A 120 is an everyday car, the 180 is the plaything!

Depends what you can afford. In reality I cant afford a 180 but the 120 will do for now!

caled
07-04-10, 07:52 PM
I've got a run up to scotland coming up, so will fill up in manchester and then again somewhere south of Glasgow, so that will be purely motorway miles and Ill see what mpg I get.
Ive been keeping a close eye on my fuel consumption over the last month of so, and Ive been typically seeing mid-high 20s mpg, although thats with a bit of showing off and town driving.

As far as the road tax thing is concerned, its now £245 a year for tax (as of April 2010) and by April 2011 it could be £425 as the MG ZS 180 is just above the 225g/km CO2 limit for band K (it's rated at 227g/km ie band L), assuming that the government dont extend the 2001-2006 manufacture year band K cap (lets face it, thats looking doubtful).

Maxfly
07-04-10, 08:41 PM
I've got a run up to scotland coming up, so will fill up in manchester and then again somewhere south of Glasgow, so that will be purely motorway miles and Ill see what mpg I get.
Ive been keeping a close eye on my fuel consumption over the last month of so, and Ive been typically seeing mid-high 20s mpg, although thats with a bit of showing off and town driving.

As far as the road tax thing is concerned, its now £245 a year for tax (as of April 2010) and by April 2011 it could be £425 as the MG ZS 180 is just above the 225g/km CO2 limit for band K (it's rated at 227g/km ie band L), assuming that the government dont extend the 2001-2006 manufacture year band K cap (lets face it, thats looking doubtful).

Aye, i get round about 26mpg for day to day driving, 30mpg is the best i have got so far though that was done with slightly sticking rear brakes so sure i can beat that:)

ZS Phil
08-04-10, 07:57 PM
Ive just bought a MK2 180, hence my 120 is for sale in the for sale thread.
The first thing I thought when I drove it was this isnt much quicker than my 120 at lower revs but put your foot down and it flys in comparrison! Ive just done a 200 mile trip in the 180 with a roof rack, 2 mountain bikes on top, 3 people and a load of kit. Speed ranged between 60 and 80 mph and I got roughly 33mpg. I find its fine on the motorway in terms of fuel but a killer round town, especially if you want to hear that "snarl" at its best :) The 120 is a better all rounder no doubt but who buys an MG to be an all rounder? Thats what Focus's, Vectras and the like are for

caled
08-04-10, 10:37 PM
Ive just bought a MK2 180, hence my 120 is for sale in the for sale thread.
The first thing I thought when I drove it was this isnt much quicker than my 120 at lower revs but put your foot down and it flys in comparrison! Ive just done a 200 mile trip in the 180 with a roof rack, 2 mountain bikes on top, 3 people and a load of kit. Speed ranged between 60 and 80 mph and I got roughly 33mpg. I find its fine on the motorway in terms of fuel but a killer round town, especially if you want to hear that "snarl" at its best :) The 120 is a better all rounder no doubt but who buys an MG to be an all rounder? Thats what Focus's, Vectras and the like are for

hehe, had mine 3 weeks now and I still just want to drive around in it, not putting your foot down is SO DAMNED HARD. Ive got a stainless exhaust on it too courtesy of the previous owner, and the noise it makes is fabtastic.
Been through £140 worth of petrol in 800 miles in these 3 weeks. Good fun though.
Got a ~1000 mile trip up to scotland coming up next week for 10 days, petrol on expenses. Hopefully I won't use the entire petrol allowance on the trip up. :w00t:

ZS Phil
09-04-10, 11:32 AM
hehe, had mine 3 weeks now and I still just want to drive around in it, not putting your foot down is SO DAMNED HARD. Ive got a stainless exhaust on it too courtesy of the previous owner, and the noise it makes is fabtastic.
Been through £140 worth of petrol in 800 miles in these 3 weeks. Good fun though.
Got a ~1000 mile trip up to scotland coming up next week for 10 days, petrol on expenses. Hopefully I won't use the entire petrol allowance on the trip up. :w00t:

Petrol on expenses! You lucky fooker. That's a fair dollop of petrol you've used but 800 miles is reasonable easpecially at 1.20 per litre! The previous owner said mine has a stainless exhaust too, certainly doesn't sound standard. Decat is next on the cards I think ;)

dvid
09-04-10, 11:56 AM
If you fancy a drive of a 180 and want to come to Essex your more than welcome to drive mine ;)

daytona365
11-04-10, 09:14 PM
With my 180 only being used for weekends the petrol bills are less than my Rover214SEi.
The noise and power make up for the extra cost. Only prob with mine is the stiff rear door handle, and having to wash it all the time to keep it looking yellow!
For future refs, whats with the VIS and plenium rattle?

starfire039
12-04-10, 09:57 AM
I fixed one of my rear door handles by taking off the door card, peeling back the lining and oiling up the mechanism that is visible from the inside of the door. If that doesn't cure it, you will need to remove the door handle and give it a more thorough lubrication. I still have the other one to go.

Door cards are a straightforward to get off. I went to a scrappy to get extra pop rivets as I heard some of them break when you pull the door card from the door, only a couple snapped but I wanted to do it properly.