PDA

View Full Version : Dont go on ebay drunk!!

Nats Whiskas
08-04-10, 09:52 AM
Hey people! After a bit of drinking, i may kind of accidently bought a 1.8 mg f vvc engine on ebay:angel: :oops::angel:
Since im never gona get much back of the car i thought i may as well have a bit off fun and see what i can make it do on a reasonable budget!!

Anyways.. The engine mounts fit in the Rover 200, 25 and the zr. Im just wondering if they would be ok for a mk1 120 zs though? if not where am i likley to get some?

Cheers all

Nutter

StragglaSteve
08-04-10, 09:54 AM
haha! you truley are a nutter! :beer:

ZS Phil
08-04-10, 10:18 AM
LOL, You really are a *** Nat! Should be an awsome project for over summer though. The engine mounts should be fine. Id be interested to know the differences between the 145 bhp and 160 bhp engines though.

Nats Whiskas
08-04-10, 10:23 AM
ohh god its gonna be a awesome project!! Looking forward to that first drive haha. And phil the difference is 15 bhp hehe :P

ZS Phil
08-04-10, 10:25 AM
:slap:haha, very good nat

Marky Mark
08-04-10, 10:30 AM
Hey will be a cool project mate, I know how easy it is to click away and buy stuff on eBay, try not too go on there after I have had a drink!! lol

But what the hell you only live once, as long as you can afford it.... :clap:

Nats Whiskas
08-04-10, 10:35 AM
:slap:haha, very good nat

Hahaha get on with your revision phil!!

Hey will be a cool project mate, I know how easy it is to click away and buy stuff on eBay, try not too go on there after I have had a drink!! lol

But what the hell you only live once, as long as you can afford it.... :clap:

And yeah tis gonna be a good project and im picking it up on 24th april 5 days after student loans day!!! At least the money is being put towards a practical project and not a holiday :angel:

Glen290
08-04-10, 11:40 AM
decent buy, last thing i bought on ebay drunk was a potato that looked like Mr Greedy

stamford
08-04-10, 11:59 AM
At least it was something sensible, could have been far worse!

StragglaSteve
08-04-10, 12:03 PM
LOL, You really are a *** Nat! Should be an awsome project for over summer though. The engine mounts should be fine. Id be interested to know the differences between the 145 bhp and 160 bhp engines though.

145bhp and 160bhp?

doesnt he have a ZS 120? which is 115bhp? or is that modded to 145bhp?

and isnt the standard output of a 1.8 VVC 135bhp?.. or isit 145bhp? either way, where does 160bhp come from? confuuuuused!

Nats Whiskas
08-04-10, 12:06 PM
At least it was something sensible, could have been far worse!

A potato shaped as mr greedy for example? :tease::tease: and hopefully the zs will fly after this!!

Has anyone hear heard of nicedeals.co.uk? looking at getting the ZS front splitter too but they have mixed reviews :crazy:

Cheers

stamford
08-04-10, 12:08 PM
1.8 VVC is 160bhp iirc.

StragglaSteve
08-04-10, 12:14 PM
aha! so a bigger jump then previously mentioned!

from 115bhp to 160bhp!

i was always put off by the VVC, but i cant remember why!!

ah well, none the less! still a great project to get stuck into! and some very tasty gains to be had!

you will be giving those 180 boys a run for their money! :fishing:

RalphG
08-04-10, 12:24 PM
1.8VVC is either 143BHP or 160BHP. All Fs (except Trophy) and Rover 200s (BRM & vi) had the 143 engine. TFs, MG Trophys and ZRs had the 160 engine.

Nats Whiskas
08-04-10, 12:29 PM
Yeah its the 145 engine.. Still a hell of a jump!! And with a couple of other tweeks i cant see why 160 isnt possible!! :)

StragglaSteve
08-04-10, 12:32 PM
Yeah get yourself some piper fast road cams to chuck in whilst your at it and im sure you should be able to hit the 160bhp easily! :happy2:

Nats Whiskas
08-04-10, 12:46 PM
519 quid!! Bloody hell!!! maybe not.... lol, I was thinking uprated ht leads and plugs, port polish, Induction kit that sorta stuff!!!

Marky Mark
08-04-10, 12:53 PM
A potato shaped as mr greedy for example? :tease::tease: and hopefully the zs will fly after this!!

Has anyone hear heard of nicedeals.co.uk? looking at getting the ZS front splitter too but they have mixed reviews :crazy:

Cheers

The Laguna front splitter looks spot on for the Mark 1 :punk:

Nats Whiskas
08-04-10, 12:56 PM
Yeah i agree with you on that, but really it needs the ZS front Bib Spoiler on. So i was just curious as to whether that company is ok before i order anything from them lol.

Jay-ZS+
08-04-10, 02:13 PM
decent buy, last thing i bought on ebay drunk was a potato that looked like Mr Greedy

:laugh: last I went drunk bidding got some shoes that were two sizes too small :slap: had no memory of it then they landed on my door one day!

Sounds like a worthwhile project :thumbsup:

Dan1971
08-04-10, 02:22 PM
I know that I'm not as mechanically savi as most on here, but isn't there an issue with an MGF being RWD and the ZS front wheel drive ? I take it you just modify the engine a bit to accomodate the driveshaft ?

That being the case .... no-one thought about just putting a V8 in there ?

Jay-ZS+
08-04-10, 02:25 PM
There's a guy on rovertech putting the kv6 in a F! There's not a lot of room in them!!

Nats Whiskas
08-04-10, 02:28 PM
I know that I'm not as mechanically savi as most on here, but isn't there an issue with an MGF being RWD and the ZS front wheel drive ? I take it you just modify the engine a bit to accomodate the driveshaft ?

That being the case .... no-one thought about just putting a V8 in there ?

Theirs a shed load of people that stuck em in Zr's so im presuming that it'll work (somehow) Nothing silicone and duct tape cant fix im sure haha :yikes::yikes::yikes:

ZS Phil
08-04-10, 03:58 PM
Matt, when I said about the difference between the 145 and 160 engines I meant between the two vvc engines which rover produced. As previously said by EMS the 145 engine was in the F (bar trophy edition which was 160) and BRMs/ 200 Vi whereas the 160 version came in ZR 160s and TF 160s.
Regarding cams as far as i know you can only change the exhaust cam on VVCs, if you want to change the inlet then a solid cam conversion is required which will cost a fair bit of dollar.
Dan, although the F is RWD, the engine is still horizontally mounted as it is mid engined so a similar layout to the zs but obviously powers the rear wheels instead of the front.

Nats Whiskas
08-04-10, 04:17 PM
Matt, when I said about the difference between the 145 and 160 engines I meant between the two vvc engines which rover produced. As previously said by EMS the 145 engine was in the F (bar trophy edition which was 160) and BRMs/ 200 Vi whereas the 160 version came in ZR 160s and TF 160s.
Regarding cams as far as i know you can only change the exhaust cam on VVCs, if you want to change the inlet then a solid cam conversion is required which will cost a fair bit of dollar.
Dan, although the F is RWD, the engine is still horizontally mounted as it is mid engined so a similar layout to the zs but obviously powers the rear wheels instead of the front.

What he said!

RalphG
08-04-10, 04:41 PM
You will need to keep the gear box from the ZS, as the gear change linkage is completely different on the MGF. It is, I believe, possible to convert the MGF gear box, but you'll need to move the bits over from the ZS 'box.

ThumpJunkie
08-04-10, 05:48 PM
FYI, the engines are 143bhp and 157bhp respectively! :hannibal:

ZS Phil
08-04-10, 06:10 PM
FYI, the engines are 143bhp and 157bhp respectively! :hannibal:

lol wasnt too far out then :P What are the differences between them exactly?

talkingcars
08-04-10, 06:27 PM
lol wasnt too far out then :P What are the differences between them exactly?The differences between the 143 VVC in the F and the 160 of the MGF trophy are a slightly better airbox with 2 rather than 1 inlet, a larger 52 mm throttle body, a remapped ECU and I think a freer exhaust.

You can get 160 out of a 143 VVC by fitting a better induction, the bigger throttle, exhaust mods and proberbly most importantly, a remap. You can get the ECU remapped through rally matt (not sure if he is on here, definatly on xpower) or go for an after market one such as emerald.

Does the engine come with the ECU, keys and FOB? If not you'll proberbly need to get one from a ZR160. This might be a good idea anyway as the MGF runs MEMS3 and the mk1 ZS is MEMS5.

As for the gearbox, again consider a ZR box but don't forget they have cable clutch pedels so you'll need to swap bits from your ZS.

A good place for info on this conversion will be metropower as the VVC conversion is popular into the metro/100.

Keep us informed of progress.

Nats Whiskas
08-04-10, 06:38 PM
The differences between the 143 VVC in the F and the 160 of the MGF trophy are a slightly better airbox with 2 rather than 1 inlet, a larger 52 mm throttle body, a remapped ECU and I think a freer exhaust.

You can get 160 out of a 143 VVC by fitting a better induction, the bigger throttle, exhaust mods and proberbly most importantly, a remap. You can get the ECU remapped through rally matt (not sure if he is on here, definatly on xpower) or go for an after market one such as emerald.

Does the engine come with the ECU, keys and FOB? If not you'll proberbly need to get one from a ZR160. This might be a good idea anyway as the MGF runs MEMS3 and the mk1 ZS is MEMS5.

As for the gearbox, again consider a ZR box but don't forget they have cable clutch pedels so you'll need to swap bits from your ZS.

A good place for info on this conversion will be metropower as the VVC conversion is popular into the metro/100.

Keep us informed of progress.

Hey! The engine comes with the ECU and wiring loom, But nothing about keys!?!?! isnt it possible to use your own?! :confused::confused:

As for the clutch, could u elaborate on that? What would need doing to the gearbox on the zs 120 to make it work with the vvc engine?

All im saying is im really starting to regret getting that keg of heinikein from tesco... :beer2::beer2:

Cheers

Jay-ZS+
08-04-10, 06:48 PM
you will need the fob to work with the ecu

ZS Phil
08-04-10, 06:50 PM
Nat, you should post a link up to the ebay advert so everyone can see exactly what you have and what you need to get.

talkingcars
08-04-10, 06:53 PM
You'll need to get a fob matched to your ECU, I know http://www.talonsportscars.com/100r.php can do this, I'm sure there are other places.

You may be able to bolt the VVC engine to your 120 box but you'll find it undergeared, I know there are differences between the 2 boxes, I'm not sure what they are though. www.rovertech.net has a welth of info on the PG1 box.

Nats Whiskas
08-04-10, 06:55 PM
Nat, you should post a link up to the ebay advert so everyone can see exactly what you have and what you need to get.

That would be smart and sensible mate, probs why i didnt think of it before!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170465470575&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

ZS Phil
08-04-10, 07:35 PM
To save any confusion, what are the main components of the electrical system. The way I understand it (probably wrong) is there is an ECU which plugs into the engine wiring loom. The ECU is also connected to the 5AS security box? Do the ECU and 5AS need to be synchronised to work together or will any ECU (be it an MGF one or a ZR160 one) work with any 5AS? Is it the 5AS which needs to be synchronised with the fobs? If so this website may be useful http://www.alarmremotes.co.uk/new_page_4.htm
If someone could answer those questions in turn I think it would be very useful.

Nat, did the seller say that the 5AS/ Fobs/ ECU would be provided in the sale?

Nats Whiskas
08-04-10, 07:49 PM
He said that the ECU, wiring loom and 5as was included but didnt say anything about the keys?! so im presuming ill simply have to send my keys, the ecu and 5as to a re programmer!
Since we cant really do the engine till may 14th anyway cos of exams its not to much of a hassle..
Its the whole matching up the Gearbox to the Engine that is confuzzling me..

ZS Phil
08-04-10, 08:00 PM
The gearbox will be fine, Talkingcars only suggested a change because of the ratios (I think) but for the time being the 120 box will be fine, if anything it will give good acceleration but you will be changing gear alot :)

Supercharged_Z
08-04-10, 08:08 PM
replying to the tittle of the thread

never go on ebay drunk. its not clever, been there done that and bought stuff more than its worth..

SharronB
08-04-10, 08:19 PM
:laugh: last I went drunk bidding got some shoes that were two sizes too small :slap: had no memory of it then they landed on my door one day!

LOL :clown:

Ritchy
08-04-10, 08:25 PM
ive got another thing you should never go on drunk, a 10foot tall bicycle sculpture