PDA

View Full Version : Mg zs vvc turbo

MG6Turbo
11-04-10, 07:38 PM
Well this project is underway as we speak.

It started life as a 02 ZS 120.

It will be converted to VVC power this week, and will be rolling roaded so we have a start figure.

I expect to see around 175bhp-185bhp initially.

Then we will be turbo charging it.

G

Jay-ZS+
11-04-10, 07:42 PM
What's being done to the vvc to get that figure? Turbo would be nice, know there's a guy on .org talked about adding a turbo to his F but the project thread went on forever! Will give a KV6 180 a run for it's money!

MG6Turbo
11-04-10, 07:48 PM
The VVC will not be running the stock ecu.

It will have a very un restrictive exhaust, and some induction mods.

This should see us with the figure above, I have previously on a ZR 160 achieved 184bhp with stock ecu remapped and induction and exhaust mods !

G

Ritchy
11-04-10, 08:05 PM
intresting, but wheres the pics:P or ye going to treat us to them all in a oner. have to say you have some good projects on the go just now george

MG6Turbo
11-04-10, 08:09 PM
Pics coming

Nats Whiskas
11-04-10, 08:09 PM
Hahaha talk about freaky, im doing the exact same thing to my 02 zs 120 :P apart from the turbo.
Accidently bought a vvc engine of ebay and picking that up soon so will be sticking in a induction kit, 52mm throttle body and also having the ECU remapped. then get it on the rolling roads and see what it does.
So i may be rampaging you with lots of questions in the near future:P

Cheers

Ritchy
11-04-10, 08:20 PM
Pics coming

better be or bad things will happen:beer: lol

btw nice to see the new section was created so quick

Gazza
12-04-10, 09:16 AM
The VVC will not be running the stock ecu.

Will it be an emerald ecu George?

This should see us with the figure above, I have previously on a ZR 160 achieved 184bhp with stock ecu remapped and induction and exhaust mods !

Who's ZR was that?

MG6Turbo
12-04-10, 10:57 AM
No, dont do Emerald.

It will be the top of the range DTA !

The zr was back in 2005 so doubt it will be known on here, and it now lives in Ireland with a t16 under the hood !

G

carmadbaker
12-04-10, 12:00 PM
Considered omex? Cheaper and second to none customer service, so so impressed with their customer service! Lovely bits of kit

MG6Turbo
12-04-10, 05:10 PM
Yep, but been with DTA since year dot, and anything else is just an imitation !

Plus I like Alans customer service at DTA. He dont deal with numpties !

I was there the other day when they were spammed with calls from so called people in the know. I liked there responce.

G

carmadbaker
12-04-10, 06:25 PM
yer it was that kind of reaction that put me off them to be fair....quick enough to try and promote the product and get me to part with my cash......but when asking fairly technical questions which i was a bit unsure of.... all i got back was (in my opinion) totally unnecessary "snobby" remarks which made me feel kind of stupid, may have just been someone having a bad day, but first impressions make a BIG impact and within hours had spent over £1,000 with Omex, shame really....cos the DTA is proven on Rovers and would have been alot easier, pioneered the Omex front :) lol

Alan.F
12-04-10, 06:39 PM
Pics

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/Uploads/VVC1.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/Uploads/VVC2.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/Uploads/VVC3.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/Uploads/ZS1.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/Uploads/ZS2.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/Uploads/ZS3.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/Uploads/ZS4.jpg

Boot Hill Bandit
12-04-10, 07:12 PM
Good luck to all of you on this at R.S.M It would be good to see something different out there.

Jim

MG6Turbo
12-04-10, 07:57 PM
Jim, it isnt RSM anymore !

G

Boot Hill Bandit
12-04-10, 08:05 PM
Jim, it isnt RSM anymore !

G

:blush: oh...........I will get my coat! :whistle:

Jim

MG6Turbo
12-04-10, 08:06 PM
yer it was that kind of reaction that put me off them to be fair....quick enough to try and promote the product and get me to part with my cash......but when asking fairly technical questions which i was a bit unsure of.... all i got back was (in my opinion) totally unnecessary "snobby" remarks which made me feel kind of stupid, may have just been someone having a bad day, but first impressions make a BIG impact and within hours had spent over £1,000 with Omex, shame really....cos the DTA is proven on Rovers and would have been alot easier, pioneered the Omex front :) lol

Alan from DTA is a very knowledgable chap, but he doesnt want to be talking to people that dont have a clue. Which to be fair, if you are buying an aftermarket ecu and trying to install and map it yourself, if you cant understand the basics, then you shouldnt be contemplating doing the job!

I didnt get off to a good start with Alan some years back, as i had an issue with a pro 8 that we had bought of him. It was the first one i had ever wired up, but Alan was adamant i had made an error, and he get quite shirty with me, suggesting i didnt know what i was doing. it later turned out to be a fault with the ecu, and Alan apologised, and since then, we have never had an issue.

Ive also worked with Omex, and yes they do have a friendlier approach, but the unit is just an imitation of emerald and dta.

Having dealt with Omex, Emerald and dta, i have chosen to stick with DTA and there proven record and back up.

Lunar had an emerald fail, (which i predicted would happen) and Emerald couldnt repair or replace the unit within a 2 week period, and this led to me having to convert the race car back to std ecu so the car wouldnt miss a race.

These are just my opinions and experiences.

G

Gazza
12-04-10, 10:18 PM
No, dont do Emerald.

It will be the top of the range DTA !

The zr was back in 2005 so doubt it will be known on here, and it now lives in Ireland with a t16 under the hood !

G

Was it Andy K's? if so i knew i should of bought his ecu for my 160 when he had the t16 fitted.

Also good luck with the t'bo conversion

Ritchy
12-04-10, 10:38 PM
so is this your car then george? if it is much else planned?

ZS Phil
12-04-10, 11:32 PM
if you keep it standard looking as it is, it will be such a sleeper. Awsome project

MG6Turbo
13-04-10, 08:20 AM
It will only have orange wheels put on it.. Thats about it, oh and a nice exhaust.

Brakes will be off a 180, and then see how it goes from there.

G

ZS Phil
13-04-10, 06:45 PM
orange hairpins? should be interesting :)

Bobdope2002
13-04-10, 07:40 PM
oh gawd not those orange wheels again get some proper wheels for it G :laugh:

Steves Cleenz
13-04-10, 08:13 PM
oh gawd not those orange wheels again get some proper wheels for it G :laugh:

yeah go green lol

Ritchy
13-04-10, 08:28 PM
are you fixing the body work though that was kinda my real question i guess:P it will look nice with a set of staight in whatever colour(if it where me it would be grey or black(but then thats just me)) and thats about it:) with it being black maybe black tints to make it look really sinister:) like dans old car

MG6Turbo
13-04-10, 08:32 PM
Well engines in and its getting painted next week.

Should be ready for its shakedown for Bedford on the 26th April all being well.

G

Ritchy
13-04-10, 08:40 PM
nice one:D

tb steve
13-04-10, 09:42 PM
Well engines in and its getting painted next week.

Should be ready for its shakedown for Bedford on the 26th April all being well.

G

you taking two cars up there then lol

JimmyCoupe
14-04-10, 09:44 AM
This is sounding like a cool project and I will wait with excitement but I'm surprised that you are using a VVC as you didn't have a lot of good to say about the engine 8 months ago.

Glen290
14-04-10, 10:12 AM
looking forward to seeing this...should look and sound awesome..

MG6Turbo
14-04-10, 10:31 AM
This is sounding like a cool project and I will wait with excitement but I'm surprised that you are using a VVC as you didn't have a lot of good to say about the engine 8 months ago.

Well if you spend more money on the engine and install stronger components, then theres no reason it shouldnt deliver.

I want a fun trackday car, and this to me would be fun. The lighter front end, will help turn in and also braking.

It will be up and running this week as a normal vvc, then after a shakedown at Beford, i can then start the turbo install.

Im not in any rush, just like to have different things to play with in the garage.

G

Tony10
14-04-10, 12:23 PM
How will you be ovecoming the compression with the turbo? Also Garry would back me up on this there is a chap from the central belt who has a turbo chaged K series mini and he felt the 1.4 non vvc engine was better and stronger after alot of testing. He was running 250-300 bhp!

He was telliong me that the cltch was the hardest part and ended up making one himself. The guy knew what he was talking about. I think he had gone through 8 engines in testing just with them breaking.

I think this will be a great project because the lighter engine alothough acks strength is cheep as chips to replace when it blows up.

There are some pics and spec here!

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=8483

and

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=8447

JimmyCoupe
14-04-10, 12:26 PM
Sounds like you are having fun again George, and I wish you all the best in the project. The VVC is a cracking engine in my opinion with lots of room for improvement and its would be nice to have options away from the stoneaged fifty ton T16 Turbo engine if Turboing is your thing :). Good to see you happy again matey :D and I like the new business name.

MG6Turbo
14-04-10, 01:33 PM
Well I had already turboed a 1.4 5 years ago, and also did a 1.8 turbo back in 2003 just after MG launched there turbo engine.

I had a special build which used forged pistons, h section rods, a reuseable copper headgasket( which i still have !) 660cc injectors, dta ex48 ecu, and the car was very quick with this engine in.

The 1400 zr turbo was a hoot too, with 170bhp from 5.5psi of boost.

Yes I found the 1400 a stronger unit, and i do know turbo technics managed 400bhp from a turboed 1400 k series !

Mg also had a high powered supercharged 1400 k too, as i am friends with the chap that built the supercharger system for it.

So, I am quite well up on the forced induction side of things when it comes to a k.

Ive chosen the vvc again, as i want to see how far we can go with it. My mates vvc 1.8 honda is turboed with 400bhp coming from it, so I would like to see the k make some startling figures !

G

Tony10
14-04-10, 02:50 PM
Great stuff George.

Dennis was the guys name with the 1.4k turbo mini and I remeber him saying to me that the gasket he was using was the landrowver up rated one but had found the niormal rover one to be just as good. All down to the fitting.

My vvc metro was great fun 180bhp no prblem Infact Matt from Metropower managed 200bhp with throttle boddies and was still looing for more.

I look forward to hearing soem more about this.

MG6Turbo
14-04-10, 03:52 PM
Funnily enough, the guy who was commisioned by MG to supercharge the k series was called Dennis.. lol

There shall be some updated pics tomoz when Alan takes them.

George

Alan.F
15-04-10, 06:08 PM
Engine now fitted just waiting for the DTA to be wired up so it shoukd be running tomorrow

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/Uploads/IMG_3362.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/Uploads/IMG_3363.jpg

Ritchy
15-04-10, 08:07 PM
wee steam clean n thatd look minted:D

MG6Turbo
15-04-10, 08:11 PM
Its not finished yet ! lol

G

Ritchy
15-04-10, 08:18 PM
yeah but steam clean round the engine bay n itd look good:P i love the steam genies at work clean everything with them, engine parts, cars, overalls if im running low lol

MG6Turbo
15-04-10, 08:23 PM
Sounds like you like letting off steam.

G

Ritchy
15-04-10, 08:25 PM
yeah espiecially when im working on jaguar s typre r's i hate them with a passion:@ nice cars though just ****

MG6Turbo
15-04-10, 08:33 PM
I stripped a jaguar xjr 4.0 and was amazed how easy it was.

G

Ritchy
15-04-10, 08:36 PM
not the engine, stupid wiring faults in the front loom, then jaguars amazing ideas of locking wheel nuts...yeah well they stopped the wheel coming of certainly lol,

GTMSpyder
15-04-10, 09:28 PM
Looks like it should be ready for Bedford on 26th ??!?!

MG6Turbo
16-04-10, 08:50 AM
Fingers xd

MG6Turbo
21-04-10, 09:51 AM
Well just a small update.

We have now got the engine running in the car as a std vvc.

I decided to see if it was possible to get the engine to run in a std zs on OE management.

This we have achieved, as i did believe it shouldnt be too much of a task !

In my opinion, those who wish to increase the performance of there 120, and have that of a 180, but not to the sacrifice of big buxs or a v6 tax and insurance bills, this would be an ideal conversion.

We obviously could do these conversions for people who do have a 120 already.

So next is a shakedown and body tidy up.

The turbo install with dta will be started in the comiing weeks. I just wanted to sort any issues first before adding the turbo.

G

Alan.F
21-04-10, 01:32 PM
Engine now running

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/Uploads/21042010252.jpg

stokey-leroy
21-04-10, 02:02 PM
Ooooh I have a 120...how much we talking for the set up mate?

Alan.F
06-07-10, 08:31 PM
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/IMG_4860.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/IMG_4859.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/IMG_4858.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/IMG_4857.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/IMG_4856.jpg

Steves Cleenz
06-07-10, 08:41 PM
yummy, shame its not a saloon lol

Maxfly
06-07-10, 08:47 PM
looks crackin in black and white, running well?? :)

stamford
06-07-10, 09:54 PM
Nice combo white and black roof.

BUCKYDEVIL
06-07-10, 09:56 PM
Ooooh I have a 120...how much we talking for the set up mate?

What he said !!
Is it the same with the 110 ?

Ritchy
06-07-10, 10:06 PM
looks real good bar the wheels, black wheels n itll be lovely

tb steve
06-07-10, 10:08 PM
looks good with the black roof on it , i like :)

Maxxed_Ross
07-07-10, 02:05 AM
just needs the centre of the wing and the wheels done black and that'll look amazing! Needs R45 lights too

Gazza
07-07-10, 06:33 PM
Looking good G

vanishing days
07-07-10, 08:32 PM
id be intersted in this two ive got a 120

MG6Turbo
16-07-10, 08:58 PM
Well I finally got round to having a drive of this today as a vvc.

The only mod so far is the bigger exhaust system.

Std induction and std 120 brakes and suspension.

Luckily for me i had Alan following in a ZS 180 after collecting the ZS from powerflow.

So what does the vvc zs go like compared to a 180........

Well put it this way, the 180 couldnt keep pace with the 180 from rest(0) to well i didnt look as the 180 wasnt a threat to the vvc zs.

One thing is for sure, is that the vvc zs definitely is a better handling car than the 180. Turn in is so much better, and the noise from the revvy vvc is immense.

The std 120 brakes couldnt cope after a very spirited drive through the country lanes of Stafford.

So next on the agenda is the 180 brake set up and then the turbo .

Im hoping that this car will just get even better.

Also fuel economy is sooo much better than a 180.

So in short, anyone who doesnt want the tax or fuel bills of a 180 should seriously consider a engine swap to vvc.

Its a shame they didnt do a zs160, as im sure it would have been a very good seller.

Judging by the way my vvc is going, i would estimate power output to be around 170bhp.

George

ex X Power
16-07-10, 09:22 PM

Luckily for me i had Alan following in a ZS 180 after collecting the ZS from powerflow.

Well put it this way, the 180 couldnt keep pace with the 180 from rest(0) to well i didnt look as the 180 wasnt a threat to the vvc zs.

One thing is for sure, is that the vvc zs definitely is a better handling car than the 180. Turn in is so much better, and the noise from the revvy vvc is immense.

The std 120 brakes couldnt cope after a very spirited drive through the country lanes of Stafford.

So in short, anyone who doesnt want the tax or fuel bills of a 180 should seriously consider a engine swap to vvc.

Its a shame they didnt do a zs160, as im sure it would have been a very good seller.

Judging by the way my vvc is going, i would estimate power output to be around 170bhp.

George

Wouldn't agree with the VVC being quicker than a 180, certainly the ones I have driven aren't, too little torque and not enough accesible power.

also don't know many people would rather hear a 4 pot over a V6 unless its a full DTM spec Merc 190

Couldn't agree more about turn in and handling response though, As for fuel consumption, thats a personal preference, i'd rather spend more at the pump myself.

MG6Turbo
17-07-10, 06:32 AM
Well having been driving 180s since they were first introduced, i have got a feel for how well they do and dont go !

Yes they do have more torque, and that the 4 pot is more of a revvy engine, however, since the engines designed to be revved and the chassis of the zs is so good with it, it makes this application a perfect match.

Im sure once the turbo is on, this will give the engine oozes of low down torque, and then as the revs rise you will then benefit from the vvc revs.

What i will say, is that this car is much better being driven on its limits with this engine than that of a v6 !

Im going to take the car to castle combe and test it there.

I will fit it with the same tyres and brakes that i had on a 180. I did 1.27 in a 180 so i should do better with this car as the handling will be of great benefit.

I do like the 180 dont get me wrong, and it does handle. But the 120 handles better but doesnt have the grunt, which is what i was wanting..

So in short, convert a 120 to vvc, and it opens up a different world. Its the cheapest and quickest way of gaining 40bhp( apart from nitrous) and keeps the handling characteristics of the 120 still !

George

Supercharged_Z
17-07-10, 08:30 AM
Nice project, sounds intresting enough however i dont think you will tempt many 180 owners lol....

the people with 120's though a VVC conversion is a nice sounding thing to have.

Also HGF lol, that will put people off...

Jay-ZS+
17-07-10, 08:50 AM
Sounds as if it's going well. A serious option for the 110-120 owners. Was something I thought about for ages when I had my 120, although knew at somepoint I'd buy a 180. So never got round to it.

Assume George will fit the MLS gasket, or remember him saying that he had a special copper (iirc) gasket made up.

Dave ZS-X
17-07-10, 05:21 PM

George

how can a zs with a zr 160 engine be quicker than a zs v6, the zs 180 is quicker than the zr 160 and the zr 160 is considerably smaller and lighter than the zs 180 ???
No offence to alan but ive seen him drive around donny and he couldnt make a bugatti veyron go fast !!!
Having said that im sure the lighter front end could improve handling, especially once the weight difference has been correctly factored into the build and suspension set up, and a turbo will really bring it alive, look forward to seeing that one, could be good if you do it.

MG6Turbo
17-07-10, 06:53 PM
I know what your saying Dave, but in a straight line Alan was trailing. I was shocked as well, but once you get this thing revving and on its way, it just pulls very strongly.

Handling is deffo much better than the 180 and with the engine being able to be revved high and kept in the zone it just makes country lane driving a hoot !

The parts are there to put on the car, its just available time at the minute.

However, now having been driving it, im keen to move it on to the next stage.. But im finshing off Steves, so it will have to wait till after that.

Have you bought another car yet Dave?

George

mattie007
17-07-10, 07:52 PM
What would be the total cost as it looks like a few people are interested?

MG6Turbo
17-07-10, 08:11 PM
Supplied and fitted taking your 1800 in exchange would be ?1000.00( vvc only not turbod)

George

Dave ZS-X
17-07-10, 08:17 PM
I know what your saying Dave, but in a straight line Alan was trailing. I was shocked as well, but once you get this thing revving and on its way, it just pulls very strongly.

Handling is deffo much better than the 180 and with the engine being able to be revved high and kept in the zone it just makes country lane driving a hoot !

The parts are there to put on the car, its just available time at the minute.

However, now having been driving it, im keen to move it on to the next stage.. But im finshing off Steves, so it will have to wait till after that.

Have you bought another car yet Dave?

George

went with cash to buy today, but i can smell b.s from a country mile away and the dealer was full of it, so i walked. I will be buying shortly assuming i can find the right car in the right spec, i wont divulge what im buying other than to say its a 4 pot 2.0 turbo....no more throwing money at nasp engines for naff all gains here, im into re maps that give 50 bhp and actually do something.

Dave

p.s get your vvc zs down the pod for some real life times and performance, road conditions are pretty poor at giving accurate performance comparisons.

Craig
17-07-10, 08:20 PM
Supplied and fitted taking your 1800 in exchange would be ?1000.00( vvc only not turbod)

George

A helluva power increase for a grand!

MG6Turbo
17-07-10, 08:27 PM
went with cash to buy today, but i can smell b.s from a country mile away and the dealer was full of it, so i walked. I will be buying shortly assuming i can find the right car in the right spec, i wont divulge what im buying other than to say its a 4 pot 2.0 turbo....no more throwing money at nasp engines for naff all gains here, im into re maps that give 50 bhp and actually do something.

Dave

p.s get your vvc zs down the pod for some real life times and performance, road conditions are pretty poor at giving accurate performance comparisons.

Hmm turbo..lol

Zafira ? thats a family car the wife would commend you sincerely... :wub::strongbench:

I know what ya mean about pod, but i think it will be best suited for its handling.

Pods ok if ya a straight minded person, personally i prefer the twisty stuff.... ya know, hanging ya arse end out, and driving hard.... cant beat it !

:fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing:

G

Stephen
17-07-10, 08:37 PM
What about from a 1600 ?:)

MG6Turbo
17-07-10, 08:39 PM
another 100 quid since the engine is smaller.

G

Craig
17-07-10, 08:54 PM
another 100 quid since the engine is smaller.

G

Still an absolute bargain IMO

Stephen
17-07-10, 09:06 PM
Im saving up!:D

Alan.F
17-07-10, 10:02 PM
No offence to alan but ive seen him drive around donny and he couldnt make a bugatti veyron go fast !!!

You cheeky sod Dave i only go out to enjoy myself not to rag my cars in to an inch of there life.

And as far as the VVC goes i took the 180 to the limiter up to 3rd and the VVC just kept pulling away plus the VVC revs to 8k+ suprised me aswell

ex X Power
17-07-10, 10:08 PM
Well having been driving 180s since they were first introduced, i have got a feel for how well they do and dont go !

George

Like to think I do too, I drove my first 2.5KV6 45/ZS in 1999, it was the first development model and then went on to do some work on early ZS development.

First 400 VVC was in 1997 albeit a MEMS2J engine and have driven a couple of 160 engined ZS'since.

I'll be really interested to see your times from Combe, I wouldn't like to predict it tbh as although its a power circuit that will suit the V6 there are obviously some quite big stops and high speed corners thay will suit the K4

Pods ok if ya a straight minded person, personally i prefer the twisty stuff.... ya know, hanging ya arse end out, and driving hard.... cant beat it !

G

+1 Anyone can drive a car quickly in a straight line and it certainly gives no clue as to a cars attributes.

TBH a combination of road and track is best for a road legal car.

Its all well and good having power up at the top end but you can't beat a good dollop of torque and driveability.

cdti
18-07-10, 12:21 AM
does the ?1000 include brake upgrade to 180 spec

MG6Turbo
18-07-10, 09:42 AM
No, That would be an extra ?80 for the zs180 front brake upgrade

Dave MGT
18-07-10, 10:55 AM
You cheeky sod Dave i only go out to enjoy myself not to rag my cars in to an inch of there life.

And as far as the VVC goes i took the 180 to the limiter up to 3rd and the VVC just kept pulling away plus the VVC revs to 8k+ suprised me aswell

8k+....???
It its reving that much doesnt sound very std to me. They rev to 7.2std
If a zs vvc pulled away from me in a zs180 I would be under the bonnet with a confussed look on my face...lol
My ZR160 keeps up with a zs180 just about but as dave says the ZR is lighter!! both cars have breather mods.
VVC is a great engine though!! so much fun to thrash. you wouldnt belive its a 1.8 when pushing over 5k to the red line.

coreygraham180
18-07-10, 11:24 AM
No, That would be an extra ?80 for the zs180 front brake upgrade

this sounding like a perfect project for me when i get my 110

sonuds absoulty amazing value for me being a first time buyer

MG6Turbo
18-07-10, 11:40 AM
8k+....???
It its reving that much doesnt sound very std to me. They rev to 7.2std
If a zs vvc pulled away from me in a zs180 I would be under the bonnet with a confussed look on my face...lol
My ZR160 keeps up with a zs180 just about but as dave says the ZR is lighter!! both cars have breather mods.
VVC is a great engine though!! so much fun to thrash. you wouldnt belive its a 1.8 when pushing over 5k to the red line.

Alan was a bit optimistic. It revs to 7490rpm.

However, what he said about it pulling away from a std zs180 was true. also this zs 180 doesnt have any issues with vis etc. However it is std .

I think what people are also forgetting is the gearing, i have used the 120 gearbox not the vvc zr one.

Once the turbo is on then it will be a hoot.

As said, the power hike for the dosh if you have a 110 or 120 is a bargain.

George

Dave MGT
18-07-10, 11:55 AM
Alan was a bit optimistic. It revs to 7490rpm.

However, what he said about it pulling away from a std zs180 was true. also this zs 180 doesnt have any issues with vis etc. However it is std .

I think what people are also forgetting is the gearing, i have used the 120 gearbox not the vvc zr one.

Once the turbo is on then it will be a hoot.

As said, the power hike for the dosh if you have a 110 or 120 is a bargain.

George

Ahh.... I can quite belive that. I would exspect the vvc to have the edge in this case (only just) but it does also depend on the drivers. On track the advantage would be even more so! Sounds good!!

The ZR160 box is quite close but I guess the 120 one would be more usable everyday. I have herd with a the rev limate raised to 7.5 it knocks about 0.4 off the 0-60 time on the zr160, which is a huge amount of time!

What turbo you plan on using george? something small on light boost I guess with different pistons/rods?

Dave ZS-X
18-07-10, 01:19 PM
sorry alan didnt mean to offend you but you do seem to drive kinda laid back, lol.
trouble is on road the car in front will be on the gas earlier and even if its only half a second when the 2 cars are so closely matched that would be more than enough to decide the outcome.
Why i suggested pod, performance cannot be misunderstood or misinterpreted or lost or found, it is what it is and the time and speed tell the story.

I would expect the vvc zs to be marginally quicker at combe and i would expect that gain to mostly come from being able to brake a tiny bit later with the lighter front end, im not sure combe is the kind of circuit that will show a great benfit on the handling front, some benefit yes but considering the corners maybe not that much.
i look foward to hearing your first hand account though george, it will be very interesting.

mattie007
18-07-10, 02:07 PM
It is a great price. Might be something I do later in the year when the motorbike gets put away for winter.

MG6Turbo
20-07-10, 02:58 PM
Well its going to Cadwell tomoz, and rumour has it there are 2 zs 180`s going for it to play with. Should be interesting day, especially if it rains !

G

stamford
20-07-10, 03:41 PM
Will there be video taken? Would like to see this.

Dave ZS-X
20-07-10, 03:59 PM
should be good, but if the 180's dont have 888's and good drivers it will prove nothing either way.

MG6Turbo
20-07-10, 04:38 PM
My car only has t1rs...

And std 180 brakes upfront.

But it does have a good driver..lol

G

coreygraham180
20-07-10, 04:52 PM
i just keep looking at this and it keeps on better and better when i get my 110 i will be deffo intrested and also how much would it be to upgrade to 180 brakes all round?????

MG6Turbo
20-07-10, 05:35 PM
Well it will be even better when the turbo goes on.

George

coreygraham180
20-07-10, 06:06 PM
i think it will but what kind of turbo u going to put on and at what bar????
and what do u expect to get out of the turbo???

Ritchy
20-07-10, 06:40 PM
good stuff keep us updated

MG6Turbo
20-07-10, 07:53 PM
Im going to use the std 1800 turbo unit, as i dont need mega amounts of boost.

I will be quite happy with around 220bhp.

George

MG6Turbo
21-07-10, 12:00 PM
well didnt get to Cadwell.

Changed my brakes over yesterday afternoon, then lost my brake pedal.. stayed at it till 2am but it was dark and i was getting irritable.

Not a good day !

G

coreygraham180
25-07-10, 02:36 PM
how's the car now any updates

Ritchy
25-07-10, 03:15 PM
gutted, need to be more careful where ye leave things:P

MG6Turbo
25-07-10, 06:07 PM
Yeah, should have left the 120 brakes on....

Well it turned out to be the master cylinder had failed, which is probably why the 120 brakes seemed so pants.

Anyway, its having new ebc brakes put on now, so will hopefully be back on the road shortly.

Was very peed off.

G

coreygraham180
06-08-10, 09:34 PM
any more update's of the car

MG6Turbo
07-08-10, 10:21 AM
Brakes are done, I may dust it down at Donington.

If anyone fancies coming along, I shall be there with Jack Goff who is one of the top contenders in the Renault Clio Championship.

Jack used to race in the MG trophy series before moving up a few notches to Clios.

Jack hopes to be in touring cars for 2012.

So will be interesting to see how good the vvc zs is in his hands.

If anyone fancies coming along, we shall be giving passenger rides.. With both Jack and I running 2 cars.

George

Maxxed_Ross
07-08-10, 11:11 AM
you get my PM G?

MG6Turbo
07-08-10, 11:20 AM
I did just !

G

coreygraham180
07-08-10, 01:09 PM
so when is the turbo planned to be put on cause i cant wait to hear the results????

Steves Cleenz
07-08-10, 06:27 PM
Brakes are done, I may dust it down at Donington.

If anyone fancies coming along, I shall be there with Jack Goff who is one of the top contenders in the Renault Clio Championship.

Jack used to race in the MG trophy series before moving up a few notches to Clios.

Jack hopes to be in touring cars for 2012.

So will be interesting to see how good the vvc zs is in his hands.

If anyone fancies coming along, we shall be giving passenger rides.. With both Jack and I running 2 cars.

George

When?

MG6Turbo
09-08-10, 01:20 PM
29th August

deano ZS180
23-08-10, 05:40 PM
What time Sunday as I might pop up after work???

deano ZS180
27-08-10, 10:38 AM
any updates and what time are you guys on track sunday?

Supercharged_Z
27-08-10, 07:03 PM
all day, driver sign on is 8

Quadcam24
25-04-12, 07:35 PM
was this vvc turbo zs ever realised or was it just a pipe dream ?

MG6Turbo
25-04-12, 08:02 PM
Not a pipe dream.

Plans changed. Still have vvc turbo engine. However it is now in bits having forged internals installed and will be making its way into another MG later in the year.

It's going to be tested in my mg zt t turbo first.

talkingcars
25-04-12, 10:11 PM
6?

Eddie
27-04-12, 11:49 AM
Just found the thread, really hope this happens, I remember the ZS120 turbo back in the day, was a little temperamental but dam quick.
With time and experience I would say the problems have been identified so you'll have a good chance of success first time round, mouth watering prospect of VVC Turbo.
You ever thought of transplanting an MB6 engine and gearbox into the ZS120, box has an LSD as standard and the B18 in stock unopened form is good for 300+hp?
I know you like the idea of retaining the OE marque through-out but I would love to see something special, rotated lump so you have good weigh ballence as driver sits same side as gear box.
Come on G, get this VVC T finished :smile1:

MG6Turbo
27-04-12, 12:59 PM
The engine is destined for another mg !

Yes alot was learned back in the day, it was still very quick. It did the quarter in a half decent time too !

G

Quadcam24
27-04-12, 02:18 PM
Just found the thread, really hope this happens, I remember the ZS120 turbo back in the day, was a little temperamental but dam quick.
With time and experience I would say the problems have been identified so you'll have a good chance of success first time round, mouth watering prospect of VVC Turbo.
You ever thought of transplanting an MB6 engine and gearbox into the ZS120, box has an LSD as standard and the B18 in stock unopened form is good for 300+hp?
I know you like the idea of retaining the OE marque through-out but I would love to see something special, rotated lump so you have good weigh ballence as driver sits same side as gear box.
Come on G, get this VVC T finished :smile1:

what would be involved in the honda transplant ed ?

talkingcars
27-04-12, 06:36 PM
You'd have to start with civic engine and gearbox mounts I guess, and proberbly use all the other engine bay fittings - rads etc, modify the exhaust and mate the honda engine electrics to the body electrics.

Eddie
27-04-12, 09:53 PM
Mount kit would be easy and required, hate cutting out stock mounts and reusing them, would talk to couple of manufactures such as innovate, send them details of the ZS engine bay and have a set of mounts made, not as expensive at you think either, they make various types of compounds for the mounts, as soft/solid as you want.
Compare the shift linkage and make something that fits or just throw in a Ford Focus 5 speed shifter and convert the lot to cable and have done with it, seen this done many times, JJ Cables can make up the shifter cables easily enough, just have the cable shifter mechanism made up.
Radiator is an off the shelf part really, I would use a 3 core half size to allow for room to fit a real nice tubular turbo manifold and decent size turbo.
Wiring, not difficult, break out the schematic of both cars and reverse engineer it, yes, they’ll be a few headaches for sure but nothing expensive just head scratching moments.
Would run it on Hondata or AEM management as there are loads of base maps to get things started, manage the power with boost by gear, which is an onboard component in the ECU, allows you to ramp up the boost in each gear, kind of traction control bit like the AVCR. Set of Evo 550 injectors or RC750’s and an in tank 255 LPH fuel pump. Not sure what size fuel lines the ZS120 runs, so may run a pair of -6 lines.
3” down pipe and whatever size system you want to attach, personally, I would stay at 300hp and run boost by gear as a road car, would lots of fun, reliable and cheap to fix when things do go wrong, with forged internals it has the ability to make 400 to 500hp.

This is a mates car I've been involved with the build, it's built to go fast, very fast, it managed 181 mph on a flooded US Airbase, gear for 217mph, rain did stop play though. This a forged B18 from a Civic 700hp and 500 ft/lbs

This I would love to see in a ZS :fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Knbc6nKSws&list=UUg8fy9urDiJXZdeSY2Gapkg&index=1&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2crAalXz4kI&list=UUg8fy9urDiJXZdeSY2Gapkg&index=2&feature=plcp