PDA

View Full Version : Painted Calipers

StragglaSteve
19-04-10, 02:03 PM
Finaly got round to painting my calipers!

heres a quick piccy for your enjoyment/critic! :shoot2:

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=458

hopfully next month i will have my bucket seats fitted!

stamford
19-04-10, 03:30 PM
Nice rims, Kei Kruze? I was thinking about getting them before I decided on the Inovites.

peterzs
19-04-10, 07:58 PM
Certainly look a lot better than my rusty looking ones, well worth the effort.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

StragglaSteve
19-04-10, 08:26 PM
Nice rims, Kei Kruze? I was thinking about getting them before I decided on the Inovites.

yeah 18" Kei Kruze... bloody heavy compared to the 16" OE hairpins i had!

if i had known that before ordering it MIGHT of swayed my desition buuuut these were picked purley on looks :thumbsup:

cars lookin a bit high in that photo because ive actully got the rear of the car jacked up as i was doing the rear calipers! but i plan to get the arches rolled out and some Xpower lowering springs chucked on :sly:

you should give it a go pete! does take a bit of time and cant use the car for 24hours once done, but worth the effort! my rims just didnt look quite as nice when i had a big brown lump of rusty metal sitting behind it lol

peterzs
19-04-10, 08:33 PM
Just had some new rear disks on mine, for the first month looked nice and shiny, now aghhhh rusty red.

Yes, think I will have a go at mine, yours finish the wheels off.

:clap::clap::clap::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jay-ZS+
19-04-10, 08:34 PM
If your planning on stripping it steve Id suggest you recommend coils as once stripped will sit quite high at the back on xpowers.

Callipers look good mate, they are on my list as well. :)

Maxfly
19-04-10, 08:34 PM
amazing the difference a lick of paint on calipers makes, looking fesher:)

StragglaSteve
19-04-10, 08:49 PM
If your planning on stripping it steve Id suggest you recommend coils as once stripped will sit quite high at the back on xpowers.

Callipers look good mate, they are on my list as well. :)

**** really?

was hoping i could get away with just chuckin on some lowering springs temporarily until i can afford to get a proper coilover kit :(

how much weight can i lose before i should start thinkin about the coilovers?

was only really planning on taking out the rear seats, belts and spare wheel!

Jay-ZS+
19-04-10, 08:55 PM
how much weight can i lose before i should start thinkin about the coilovers?

No Idea tbh , only thing I could suggest is that you measure the height on std springs remove the rear seats and spare, doesnt take much to remove the seats. Then measure how much its raised up. That will give you an idea of the how much it will raise on xpower springs.

It may not be that much but better to find out before going to the hassle of changing the springs.

My guess is that with the xpowers it will be very slightly lower than standard once stripped. It will just be the difference between the front and rear as obviously you wont be loosing any weight up front.

StragglaSteve
20-04-10, 08:13 AM
No Idea tbh , only thing I could suggest is that you measure the height on std springs remove the rear seats and spare, doesnt take much to remove the seats. Then measure how much its raised up. That will give you an idea of the how much it will raise on xpower springs.

So simple! why didnt i think of that? :slap:

Marky Mark
20-04-10, 11:02 AM
Calipers looking good there Steve, looking forward to seeing the buckets in! :thumbsup:

SheppeyTrio
20-04-10, 11:13 AM
Looking good Steve, i was looking at painting mine, black 180, blue! But wasn't sure what they'd look like? How long did it take you, did you take them fully off and sand them down?

Marky Mark
20-04-10, 11:45 AM
I cheated and left my calipers on and just sanded them down and gave them a clean with a wire brush. Yours would look nice in XPower green as well.

Hope your all well and the baby is fine. :happy2:

StragglaSteve
20-04-10, 12:34 PM
Looking good Steve, i was looking at painting mine, black 180, blue! But wasn't sure what they'd look like? How long did it take you, did you take them fully off and sand them down?

Cheers dudes,

actully didnt take that long to do!

using the foliatec kit it was a case of cleaning the caliper up with the wire brush (time taken depended on how rusty the caliper was)

then mix the paint up with the hardener and wait 5-10mins before applying to the caliper. leave 15mins between coats! which i did 3 coats and obviously i moved onto the next caliper between coats.

all in all, no more then 4 hours spent split between 2 days! as i did the fronts on sat and rear on sunday :)

and yeah, like marky mark, i also cheated ;) left the calipers on! couldnt get the damn bolt off to remove it completely!

Jay-ZS+
20-04-10, 12:54 PM
I was going to do mine green but hoping to get some rather special brakes on before hand ;)