PDA

View Full Version : Laws on Harness'

Jay-ZS+
23-04-10, 03:28 PM
Looking to fit some buckets and get some 3 point harness'. Remember reading somewhere that their legality depends on the type of buckle. Is this right and if so whats allowed?

shroonie29
23-04-10, 04:11 PM
They should be E marked for road use

Jay-ZS+
23-04-10, 04:18 PM
Cheers shronnie, so they dont need to be the push buckle like oem seats as long as they are E marked. :)

shroonie29
23-04-10, 05:19 PM
Cheers shronnie, so they dont need to be the push buckle like oem seats as long as they are E marked. :)

I think you'll find that all the ones marked for road use have the standard clip type buckle

stamford
23-04-10, 06:58 PM
Most road going spec ones are buckle type, no point in having the aircraft style 6 point with crotch strap unless you like that sort of thing ;)

My 3 point Sabelt is adequate, a 4 point is no better in our type of car as the rear two straps should overlap anyway and the chassis mounts are probably not suitable for 4 point. 4 points are better if using a cage with a harness bar.

Jay-ZS+
23-04-10, 07:16 PM
Yer seen some Sabelt 3 point harnesses but they are the rotational release, they are FIA approved but guessing they are not 'E' marked.

Ritchy
23-04-10, 07:43 PM
bungie cords?

stamford
23-04-10, 10:34 PM
Found this, could prove useful if the quotes could be confirmed by someone who has access to the quoted sections.

http://wiki.seloc.org/a/MOT_Requirements_for_Seatbelts_and_Harnesses#MOT_R equirements_for_Seatbelts_and_Harnesses

Jay-ZS+
24-04-10, 07:45 AM
Cheers Mick very useful. I reckon I will leave in the standard belts firstly for the gf as she's not too keen on them, and secondly for MOT. The harnesses are the clip on ones so could be removed quickly :)

stamford
24-04-10, 07:48 AM
I've left my front ones in for now. Not intended just not got around to removing them yet.

RalphG
25-04-10, 11:37 PM
My MGF has 5 point quick release harnesses and it passes the MOT without any problems. They are FIA approved (out of date) but not E marked (as far as I am aware).

Jay-ZS+
26-04-10, 06:32 AM
I'm sure with the pack of beers in the passenger seat they would pass ;) lol
it's more the police I'm worried about.

Marky Mark
27-04-10, 11:51 AM
This is what I am unsure about, is it legal to just have 3 point harnesses in your car for road use, thinking of just leaving the front seatbelts in for now?

Will the car get through the MoT without the rear seatbelts installed? :cool1:

Jay-ZS+
27-04-10, 12:05 PM
I guess if not 'E' marked will come down to the tester. If you don't have rear seats no need for belts. Otherwise will need to be there

RalphG
27-04-10, 12:15 PM
This is what I am unsure about, is it legal to just have 3 point harnesses in your car for road use, thinking of just leaving the front seatbelts in for now?

Will the car get through the MoT without the rear seatbelts installed? :cool1:

The SV is fitted with 3 point harnesses as standard.

stamford
27-04-10, 07:48 PM
Taken from my Sabelt booklet:

Our belts are FIA (8853/98-8854/98 Standard) or ECE (Reg. 16-for generic use on motor vehicles) homologated, depending on their model. If your seat belt is FIA homologated, it is fit for professional use during FIA races, but cannot be mounted on cars running on the streets.

If your seat belt is ECE homologated, it is not fit for use during FIA races, but can be mounted on cars running on the streets, on condition that anchorage points specified by the car manufacturer are not modified.

Check whether your seat belt is FIA or ECE homologated: read the homologation label on the belt strap. If your seat belt is an ECE homolgated model, it will show the following symbol:

Circle with a large 'E' within it to the left and possibly 2 very small characters to the right about a quarter of the size of the E.