PDA

View Full Version : Traffic light with progress bar

Nor
25-04-10, 07:08 PM
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2787/image01r.jpg

Eko light is a simple yet, highly practical concept for traffic lights that not only helps preserve the environment by reducing pollution but promotes safer driving as well. Eko can be easily installed onto existing traffic light systems without much effort while significantly improving overall traffic dynamics.

There are many benefits of the Eko light, the main ones being:

Less pollution. Drivers can turn their engines off and cut carbon emissions while waiting for the green light.

Less fuel consumption
Turning off your vehicle while waiting on the traffic light can lower fuel consumption in the long run.

Less stress Since you know exactly
how long you have to wait you can sit back and clear your head for a while. No need to keep your foot on the gas. Relax.

Safer driving- With the Eko light both drivers and pedestrians can be fully aware of how much time they have left before the light changes and that way reduce the chance for potential traffic accidents.

http://relogik.com/eko

bmm87
25-04-10, 07:26 PM
thats quite cool, but it would prob lead to people going on the last couple of bars and smacking some pedestrians!

Ritchy
25-04-10, 07:41 PM
lol was thinking similar:P

R8NMG
25-04-10, 08:46 PM
I have seen seconds countdown for the red and green men for pedestrians at the lights. Quite handy.

With this I don't think I will be switching on and off my engine at every light.

stamford
25-04-10, 08:49 PM
A good idea, I'm sure I'm not alone when at a set of lights we all know well to the point we know the phases and when to get into gear. This would help to not get caught napping as well.

grimmy
25-04-10, 10:29 PM
anybody else thinking drag racing he he he

Zippy Saloon
26-04-10, 03:43 AM
Its very nice for the green brigade to suggest turning car off but how long would a normal starter motor last under those conditions? All these stop/start cars have heavy duty motors.

This music go thru anyone elses head when looking at that red light?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z-dJ35fOiM

Jay-ZS+
26-04-10, 07:22 AM
This music go thru anyone elses head when looking at that red light?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z-dJ35fOiM

The lights go out...and their off..GO,GO,GO!!

Yer almost like having the tree at pod.

stamford
26-04-10, 07:27 AM
One thing we ought to change is how we sit at red lights with no traffic in certain directions. In the states if you are wanting to turn right and the light is red, you can make the turn as long as the sign says you can at thast given junction and the road is clear, saves you sitting there with the engine running. Keeps the flow of traffic.

R8NMG
26-04-10, 08:17 AM
In the states if you are wanting to turn right and the light is red, you can make the turn as long as the sign says you can at thast given junction and the road is clear, saves you sitting there with the engine running. Keeps the flow of traffic.

With a bit of research for use in this country, it might work I think. I do find though as a pedestrain even with a green man I have to keep looking out for traffic turning right even though the pedestrians supposedly have the right of way.

stamford
26-04-10, 08:35 AM
Yes, the same applies over there, pedestrians have priority but they still turn and make you run! The Police still give you a telling off for 'jaywalking' so you have to stick to the crossing points and only cross when the lights allow you to, they also display seconds to cross, pays to be the right weight ;)

So many times I have sat at a traffic light junction to be met with nothing on the adjacent junction, so much for smart lights and induction loops. The only ones that seem to work are those where the bloody buses take priority and make you miss your turn in the phase!

arwilson80
26-04-10, 08:50 AM
Thing is... starting and stopping often uses more fuel than sitting the length of the change at idle.

As for the States idea. I could get used to that. ;)

StragglaSteve
26-04-10, 09:29 AM
hmm...

on my 2 mile (10minute) journy to work there is about 10 sets of traffic lights! i wouldnt of thought having my engine turning off and on every minute would be good for it?

Zippy Saloon
26-04-10, 09:34 AM
Thing is... starting and stopping often uses more fuel than sitting the length of the change at idle.Am sure I saw somewhere that if you turn off for 10 secs then you are better off (apart from needing a new starter sooner!). Trouble is when you stop you don't know whether it will be for 10 secs, or less, or more - this is where the countdown comes in.
Embarrassing if it won't start!