View Full Version : Whats it worth???

stevelou5
28-04-10, 11:43 AM
My car:
MK2 115+ Diesel
2006 plate it is on
180 Kit
I'm the second owner
It drives fine and no problems to report.
Slight mark on the rear bumber just neededs touching up.
alloys have only slight curbing nothing too bad. (like to add not off me was the previous owner)
Had rally mud flaps fitted and a tail pipe other than that its standard.

If I put it up for sale realistically what could I expect

Private sale =?
Trade in price =?

just putting some feelers out to see what the rate is at the moment as I fancy a change.

staccato
28-04-10, 11:50 AM
You can follow the glass' guide but each car will fetch different money.

It depends on how you write the advert, whether service history is complete, where you live etc.

A good wad of receipts to prove what a meticulous owner you are all adds to the value, and whether you've chosen cheap as chips replacement parts like ebay brake pads and budget tyres. It depends on whether you've let everything run down to the limits before selling, so the new owner will have to stump up (pads, tyres, MOT etc)

A well written advert will definitely help.

As an example, my 2004 MG ZS 180 a year ago should have been worth around £3000. I sold it for over £6000 because of the above.

Good luck if you decide to sell. Being a diesel will help too!! At a guess I'd say start it at £3500 and drop down from there. Book figure suggests about £2700

stevelou5
28-04-10, 11:52 AM
cheers for that.

It does seem that the prices of second hand MG ZS do vary like.

staccato
28-04-10, 12:00 PM
cheers for that.

It does seem that the prices of second hand MG ZS do vary like.

Write a pukka advert - list everything like you're as fussy as hell. Add in you're a long-time MG enthusiast. And don't tell people what's wrong in the advert. Let them at least come and see it for themselves. Person A may hate dents but person B may not care.

Talk as if you are confident it's the best one out there.

Here was the advert I wrote when I sold my previous ZS:

Have decided the time has come to sell my car in order to clear a few personal debts before buying my first house, so reluctantly my ZS 180 is up for sale.

2004 '04' reg MK 2 saloon in Firefrost pearlescent.
24,900 miles from new

The car has been tastefully modified with the following:

Janspeed exhaust manifolds
Janspeed sports cat
Janspeed cat back exhaust (Genuine X-Power backbox)
ITG Maxogen induction kit
Piper cams and vernier pulleys
Dastek Unichip
Xenon headlights
Alpine IDA X-001 Ipod specific head unit
X-Power silver gear knob
X-Power interior mats
Grey alcantara interior (inc rear headrests)
EBC Yellow stuff front pads
Motorola bluetooth hands free system
Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 tyres all round

MOT due August (it flew through the two it had with no advisories at all)
It will have 6 months tax on it as of end of April as it's due.

I have a huge A4 envelope full of receipts ranging from all the above items, to oil, spark plugs, filters, rolling road graphs, wiper blades, bulbs, wheel tracking adjustments, MOT tests etc....

Car has never been used on track or drag strip

It had a final rolling road result after the cams of 204bhp and the fuelling is spot on throughout the rev range thanks to the unichip.

Alloys are all undamaged, alcantara seats are almost brand new and have no damage, windscreen was replaced last year so is new condition. Cambelts were changed 2k ago with the cams.

Couple of door 'trolley' dints were removed last month by Spray-Tech Maidstone so the car is completely smooth on every panel.

Has also been run on optimax or BP ultimate since May 2007

I'm happy to give any more details or up close photos to anyone who asks.

These are the most up to date photos so far, and I'll add more to this post later in the afternoon.

Total spent on modifications has been £5000 not including the servicing items and most labour costs for the exhaust fitting.

Asking price is £7000 (corrected as settlement figure for bank loan has just been received)

This is my settlement figure on my existing loan so at this price I will be making no profit. Would like to see it go to an enthusiast ideally

stevelou5
28-04-10, 12:04 PM
thanks for that I will have a think what to do.

I do really want to seel it like but I don't want to give it away either.

Cheers mate.

Bobdope2002
28-04-10, 02:15 PM
want to swop for a 180 lol

Dan1971
28-04-10, 02:47 PM
£4000 - £4500 private easy. Diesels are rare, especially with the 180 kit on it.

Shame this wasn't about 2 weeks ago.

p_b82
28-04-10, 04:10 PM
i would say bump it up a bit as above, the MK2 derv is quite a rare animal.

Just try to find some on ebay\ piston heads\autotrader for an idea of how rare and what asking price you need.

I hope you have got summit fun lined up; as for an all round car, i dont there is much out there that can beat a derv ZS!

stevelou5
28-04-10, 07:52 PM
didn't think I would get anyhting near the £4000 mark. they are rare like can't seem to find any my age or miles on any sites like.

was thinking of getting a civic type r ep3.

Dan1971
28-04-10, 07:56 PM
didn't think I would get anyhting near the £4000 mark. they are rare like can't seem to find any my age or miles on any sites like.

was thinking of getting a civic type r ep3.

Seriously mate .... current financial climate etc and most people are looking for more Ms per gallon. Get it on pistonheads for £4500. Its free so there's nothing to lose. I'll have 10%.

stevelou5
28-04-10, 07:59 PM
I could be tempted just to do that over the next two weeks or so like.

cheers for that Dan!