PDA

View Full Version : New Owner Advice Please

jmcleavy
29-04-10, 07:06 PM
Just bought my second MG ZS 180, had last one around 4 years ago.

Not a whizz on cars so would be grateful if anyone could answer the following:

1. Car has 44,000 on the lock, no history of timing belt or gasket replacement, i will do approx 10,000 miles a year in car, should i be looking out for anything?

2. Clutch bites at very top, works fine but is this common?

3. Car has been stood for a while before i bought it, brakes work fine but slight grinding noise when braking, discs look rusty, will this clear up?

4. All electrics work fine, slight noise coming from wipers, not sure if its the blades as they look a bit old or the wiper motor, any history on the wiper motors?

Any help/advice appreciated

Alan.F
29-04-10, 07:13 PM
Welcome to the forum first of all

1.What year is the car? as the belts need doing every 6yrs or 90k which ever is sooner

2. Clutched are prone to hydrolic failure

3. This should clear up

4.just change the blades this is the cheapest option to start with

jmcleavy
29-04-10, 07:20 PM
1. Car is 52 plate
2. Ok, as i said, clutch works fine so just wondered why it was right at top as my Mini Cooper is in the middle
3. Cool, good to hear, its just had MOT a month ago so if anything wrong i guess it would have been picked up in that.
4. I like the cheap option!

Thanks Alan

Alan.F
29-04-10, 09:23 PM
If the car is 8yrs old and there is no record of them being done then i would strongly adise you to get them done as they ar 2 years over due

stamford
29-04-10, 10:25 PM
:hi:

Assume the worse and guess the previous owner got rid as it needed the belts doing. The age dictates it needs doing even though it is low miles.

Check the clutch mechanism from master to slave to mounting bracket. Mine is high on the pedal but not sure if it is the replacement system fitted that still needs fettling or the clutch telling me it is time!

The discs will clean up but that'll depend on how bad they are under that rust! Run it for a couple of miles, clean off and check.

Change for aero blades.

peterzs
29-04-10, 10:27 PM
Wipers. Got some aero ones off ebay, work a lot better, dont jump or make any noise, cheap as well.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: