PDA

View Full Version : my car broke down today!!

Steves Cleenz
29-04-10, 09:36 PM
well we was at my daughters footie and the other 2 kids wanted to go and sit in the car, so gave them the keys and they went off and sat in the car as it was peeing it down with rain, hour later goes to the car and the battery is flat, dash lights are dull but all the speedo is blank, so gave it a push and finally got it going but the battery wasnt charging, and the car was misfiring when running, called the RAC out and they put the jump pack on it and it was fine then, all working again, very strange

the other strange thing was that the RAC bloke didnt know they did a ZS with a V6 engine PMSL!!

Ritchy
29-04-10, 09:42 PM
sometimes they wont work right until its above 10 volts

stamford
29-04-10, 10:14 PM
Get the alternator checked, it might not be delivering what it should. The engine should run on the alternator alone if the battery is flat.

peterzs
29-04-10, 10:15 PM
RAC, can't get many 180 breakdowns then!!!

:wizard::wizard::wizard:

grimmy
29-04-10, 10:39 PM
I have killed my battery twice now, it does not like being used without the engine charging it the radio playing for about ten minutes on its own killed it the last time. bump starting does not work, the car starts but runs like a burst arse and does not give enough power to charge the said dead battery.I have now bought a set of jump leads just in case.

peterzs
29-04-10, 10:44 PM
I had the jump leads, plus a spare battery, just in case!!!!

Then I bought a new battery. Thought the original one did quite well, 54 reg.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

stamford
30-04-10, 07:19 AM
Believe it or not I have only just replaced my battery, the original gave up over the winter due to it being sorn'd, not bad for eights years old! Just fitted an 063, alot cheaper than the specified ZS one and does the job nicely for what I need it for. Never had any issues since being fitted.

Bump starting is not advised as it can damage the cat. I always have jump leads at hand.

stokey-leroy
30-04-10, 08:09 AM
how much is a new battery out of interest? not something ive looked into before?

arwilson80
30-04-10, 09:15 AM
Mine is still on the original battery at 6 years. 073 would also work (same size, and has a slightly higher AH output as it's a diesel battery). Think that they are around £55.

Steves Cleenz
30-04-10, 10:12 AM
mine is still on the original battery (8 years)

R8NMG
30-04-10, 10:30 AM
My OE battery is heading towards 6 years old this summer. Will probably change it before winter sets in, don't really want to be stranded and tempt fate.

Jay-ZS+
30-04-10, 10:56 AM
Could always get one of those power packs, they arnt expensive and handy if no-ones around to get a jump off.

p_b82
30-04-10, 11:17 AM
I had my battery changed when it had its long stay with Matt - 7 months over winter killed it. was 6 years old and probably would have been fine if not for that!

tb steve
30-04-10, 02:34 PM
whats going on is everyones battery going all of a sudden ??

RudeDogg1
30-04-10, 03:48 PM
its prob the cold weather we had earlyer in the year it drained mine when we had the snow