PDA

View Full Version : 120 Mk2 or Diesel Mk1

Squeaks
03-05-10, 09:12 AM
Hi all.

Ive got the chance to buy a Mk1 Diesel saloon, But at the same time ive fallen for a Mk2 120 saloon.

which would be the best to use as a 2nd car over the summer months & main car over the winter?

whats the pros and cons for both please

stamford
03-05-10, 10:19 AM
No idea apart from neither sound like a V6 :D

There is probably not alot to choose from with regards mpg but alot in driving style I guess as the diesel will be low down torque and power whereas the 120 will be more willing up to the redline.

We need an opinion from those that have owned both.

Jay-ZS+
03-05-10, 10:34 AM
Would have thought the mpg would be better on the derv but the mk2 has the extra style imo.

My 120 was surprising poor on mpg but maybe that was down to mods and driver :whistle:

stamford
03-05-10, 10:43 AM
It would depend alot on the driving style, the derv being better for all round driving but not as refined. Winter driving I guess the 120 as the diesel would probably take longer to warm up.

p_b82
03-05-10, 04:39 PM
If you want a relaxing drice then i would say the derv - also factor in the miles you will do. the derv will return 45mpg day in day out, and if you are good with the throttle will see up to 60mpg (although that does require rarely going above 55mph and few city trips).

The derv will take longer to warm up (relatively) in winter as well as stamford has mentioned.

The derv is not a refined engine by any stretch of the imagination - but it is pretty willing, and if you want a bit more grunt you can get it relatively cheaply an easily (up to a point).

Sit down and work out the costs, then decide whether you want a Mk1 or a mk2 more, as there will probably be very little in it really!

S7000EY
03-05-10, 05:34 PM
or best of both worlds, mk 2 diesel, but its only a rover so maybe not to your taste

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1624243.htm