PDA

View Full Version : Piper cam group buy

alba15031
20-09-07, 06:35 PM
Following on from another thread..

i phoned piper today about some cams for the KV6.

they would normally retail a set (4 cams) for £528 and if you were interested, the cam pulleys(pr) retail at £204.

for a group buy, i can get the cams for £452 and the pulleys for £156.

you will need to add delivery costs to those prices. i would like 5 people but i know how group buys go on forums, so will see what happens.

if anyone would like to spread this to other forums / sections then please do.

while i was on the phone... i asked Piper why they dont make a system for the mk2 hatch?

they will make them for me but would like a few people to make it worth their while, just wondering if there would be any interest in that?
i am obviously as i have a mk2 hatch myself.

Drew

This is from the Xpower forums just wonderd if anyone on hear wanted any.

stamford
20-09-07, 06:44 PM
Good price there fella, I would be interested, just not got the spare cash. One not to be sniffed at.

alba15031
20-09-07, 06:49 PM
Yeah it aint a bad price i will be having a set i have been out in a ZS with the cams and the difference was very obvious. Eversince then i have wanted them lol thanx murry . :w00t:

Leasky
21-09-07, 10:33 AM
how difficult is the install? and setup

stamford
21-09-07, 12:26 PM
That really depends on your level of competence. If you are meticulous in preparation and high levels of workmanship, then it should be within most peoples skillset in that area. However, you will need the locking kit to make a successful installation, otherwise it could all end in tears. If using vernier pullies then a DTI (dial test indicator) ;) will be needed to get the timing right as a benchmark figure, the rolling road time will then get you the final settings on the vernier.

If I had the kit I would do it myself, then I am an engineer and regard anything on cars as nuts and bolts. It's just the way they are put together and hidden that makes it a real SOB sometimes!

RalphG
21-09-07, 12:46 PM
There was a group buy of cams and verniers on XPower forums about a year ago. From what I understand only 3 or 4 of the people (6+) that bought them have actually had them installed.

alba15031
21-09-07, 04:31 PM
oh really .. would you be able to fit them at the garage ralph.

RalphG
21-09-07, 05:00 PM
We were asked this question by one or two of the people that bought the cams in the previous group buy. The answer was that we could fit them and set them up to basic settings, but to set them up fully requires a rolling road run. I can't remember how much we quoted before.

alba15031
21-09-07, 05:45 PM
When you say basic settings do you mean the ECU.

Dave ZS-X
21-09-07, 07:18 PM
no he means leaving the new cams timing in as though they were standard cams,tbh you get 95% of the gain that way with a good re map so the extra expense of timing them in with verniers and rolling road tuning is not worth the effort and certainly not worth the price.

alba15031
21-09-07, 07:29 PM
Is it not so its worth getting them fitted then just a remap no point getting them all set up im just trying to learn a little bit about them first you see.

Murray203ps
22-09-07, 04:30 PM
no he means leaving the new cams timing in as though they were standard cams,tbh you get 95% of the gain that way with a good re map so the extra expense of timing them in with verniers and rolling road tuning is not worth the effort and certainly not worth the price.
I totally agree with Dave Aaron.I had my cams set up on the straight timing set up and the power increase was 19bhp.Piper claim 22bhp i think so i wasn't that bothered.I had the rolling road time as well with a piggy back ECU and verniers and we still couldn't get any more out of em.

alba15031
22-09-07, 06:52 PM
Oh right thank you for the info . cant wait to get them :trampoline: