PDA

View Full Version : Btcc ZS

Squeaks
11-05-10, 02:46 PM
Probs been asked millions off times.

Im watching my 2006 BTCC DVD with the RAC zs's in.

Why does it seem to have a Mk2 Front end but Mk1 rear end?

:icecream:

ZS Phil
12-05-10, 10:09 PM
Because they were originally mark 1s and I guess they couldnt be arsed changing the back lol

Squeaks
12-05-10, 10:13 PM
Lol. id got that far with my workings out lol :-D

Just seems weird that they would go to the trouble of changing the front but leave the back.

ZS Phil
12-05-10, 10:17 PM
i know what you mean unless the bootlid was wleded shut for stiffness or something.

Maxxed_Ross
13-05-10, 08:27 AM
cost

all they did to make it a Mk2 was change the headlights, modify the bumper a bit and stick some shark grilles on the wings

Under the skin the rest of the car was exactly the same as previous years, so it would have cost too much to change the rear end too.

You're close saying the boot was welded shut, it could be opened but had alot of work done on the underside to allow the fitting of the carbon wing. The middle of the boot lid is a very weak area so it was beefed up quite a bit to transfer the downforce down to the tyres

Probably had alot to do with spares too. The Mk2 ran with a Mk1 grille quite a few times - and since having my display car into the bodyshop I've discovered the bootlid is actually a genuine race car item that has been damaged and fixed. It must have had a bump one weekend and was swapped with the one on the display car for quickness

ZS Phil
14-05-10, 11:25 PM
cost

all they did to make it a Mk2 was change the headlights, modify the bumper a bit and stick some shark grilles on the wings

Under the skin the rest of the car was exactly the same as previous years, so it would have cost too much to change the rear end too.

You're close saying the boot was welded shut, it could be opened but had alot of work done on the underside to allow the fitting of the carbon wing. The middle of the boot lid is a very weak area so it was beefed up quite a bit to transfer the downforce down to the tyres

Probably had alot to do with spares too. The Mk2 ran with a Mk1 grille quite a few times - and since having my display car into the bodyshop I've discovered the bootlid is actually a genuine race car item that has been damaged and fixed. It must have had a bump one weekend and was swapped with the one on the display car for quickness

Interesting stuff there, must be awsome to actually own one and have a close look at everything. So if your car was a display car, is the shell the same as a race car as in does it have the cage and seam welded etc?

Maxxed_Ross
17-05-10, 10:37 AM
Well that's all a bit of a strange story, but it'll all be covered fully in the build thread

as a quick answer yes, it has the full cage, light shell and air jacks etc