PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for the fans....

WXM Matty
11-05-10, 06:35 PM
Is it normal for the fans in the engine bay to stay on for a few secconds after you have been for a drive?

Also heaters sometimes work some times they try to blow but its realy weak. Garage said it might not be HGF just keep an eye on it but it did seem like a lot of mayo. He thinks its condensation and its not been mixed with the oil though?

Thanks

-Matt

andys1981
11-05-10, 07:17 PM
yeah your fans can stay on for a while after you stop driving mate,as for your blowers,could either be the actual fan itself,or the heater resistor,that could be at fault

WXM Matty
11-05-10, 07:35 PM
yeah your fans can stay on for a while after you stop driving mate,as for your blowers,could either be the actual fan itself,or the heater resistor,that could be at fault

They seem to be on all the time when driving though? This is like on a 6 mile drive.

I replaced the heater resistor pack in my ZR would this be the same thing? If so where is it located?

Maxfly
11-05-10, 07:40 PM
They seem to be on all the time when driving though? This is like on a 6 mile drive.

I replaced the heater resistor pack in my ZR would this be the same thing? If so where is it located?

aye, that's no right if they are on near all time:

do you mean the heat or just the fans?? if it's a lack of heat then more than likely air lock in heater matrix and tbh you need to find where the coolant is going did the garage pressure test it?? best to get that done a get a definitive answer:) sniff test too.

WXM Matty
11-05-10, 07:56 PM
aye, that's no right if they are on near all time:

do you mean the heat or just the fans?? if it's a lack of heat then more than likely air lock in heater matrix and tbh you need to find where the coolant is going did the garage pressure test it?? best to get that done a get a definitive answer:) sniff test too.

Just the fans, heat comes through fine (when it works). I shall get a pressure test ASAP.

Maxfly
11-05-10, 08:01 PM
Just the fans, heat comes through fine (when it works). I shall get a pressure test ASAP.

well thats a plus, just the resistor to replace then:) aye pressure test next stop...take it you def canna see any leaks from coolant pipes etc anyway:~)

Ritchy
11-05-10, 08:24 PM
if theyres water in the oil and oil in the water its a sure ign the heads on its way to failing unfortunatly, these engines dont suffer so much from maoisture getting in from the atmosspere so most the time it is head gasket unfortunatly, get a pressure test to be sure but you want to catch it as early as possible to save doing any long term damage to the engine internals,

talkingcars
11-05-10, 09:16 PM
Which car is, mk1 or 2?

And

which engine?

To fully answer the questions one needs this info.

WXM Matty
11-05-10, 11:06 PM
Which car is, mk1 or 2?

And

which engine?

To fully answer the questions one needs this info.

Mk2 1.8 hatch

talkingcars
12-05-10, 05:19 AM
with or without aircon?

WXM Matty
12-05-10, 07:31 PM
with or without aircon?

Sorry it has A/C, had the heator resistor pack out to day, looks fine so put it back in now the heators are working fine!

Going to get a service and the engine checked out, but I only take my cars to 1 garage and hes on holiday. I dont need the car at the moment so wont be running it just incase.