PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Buying A ZS 120

Glenn
16-05-10, 05:14 PM
Hello, am new here and am Looking at buying a ZS 120 hatchback. I was just wondering what peoples opinions on them from the people who own them, and what problems and things to look out for. Any help would be great Thanks Glenn

Flocka
16-05-10, 05:26 PM
I bought my first MG, a MK1 120 Saloon, about 3 weeks ago and love it already. Goes well and looks nice, although needs a bit of touching up as it has a few scratches on the paintwork. Not made to be a car for comfort (which probably adds to the reason why my mrs doesn't seem to like it much, you can feel every bump in the road) but sticks to road well round the bends on my way to work. I'm sure the other fellas here will have more useful things to say than me :P

Zippy Saloon
16-05-10, 05:27 PM
Had mine a couple of months short of 8 years now.
No major problems, door handles, 2 brake calipers (1 front, 1 rear), front seat mountings, inlet manifold gasket, ABS reluctor rings, SRS light plus consumables is about it really.

stamford
16-05-10, 05:27 PM
:hi: to the forum Glenn

There's a buyers guide here if this helps http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

You'll get plenty of pointers from 120 owners soon enough.

RudeDogg1
16-05-10, 05:39 PM
and get a saloon ;)

Zippy Saloon
16-05-10, 05:47 PM
and get a saloon ;)

Goes without saying :laugh:
And trophy blue :whistle:

starfire039
16-05-10, 06:39 PM
usual things that every ZS might suffer from:

-stick rear door handles, do they open smoothly?
>requires door card removal and some lubrication of the door handle mechanism.

-rear windows creep down, give them a push down to test to see if they're okay
>perhaps new rear window regulator, £20.

-heater blower 1 + 2 doesn't work
>a resistor costing pennies from maplin, a new pack from a scrappy, or a repaired one available from a forum member on here I think, for like a fiver. Access to this is very very easy.

-Saloon leaky boot, easy fix, but won't bother as you are after a hatch.

-mark 2 alarm box needs modification to prevent water getting in.

-suspension can creak under acceleration. This just needs a bolt undoing and retightning by a garage, there was a technical bulletin by MG Rover that relates to it, just google the symptom and you'll find it.. i forgot it now!

Specific to a 120:

> head gasket failure. Keep an eye on coolant levels, don't push the car hard when it's cold, keep car serviced regularly and look after it and you should be okay. Keep an eye out for crystal deposits on the radiator which indicates coolant leaking, therefore coolant loss to the engine, adding the threat to head gasket failure. When you buy a ZS check the oil filler cap and dipstick for milky like oil. It shouldn't be like that.

MK1 v MK2

MK1 is generally better built, especially 52 plate and earlier. As the company was getting worse off, items were cut and build quality suffered.

MK2 is better looking (this is generally down to opinion, but the MK2 is without question with the full 180 kit a much more modern looking car- inside and out).

MK2 has alarm sounder problems, and rear bumper sag. Both easy fixes however.

You'll also notice the clutch rides high. This is normal, just get used to it.

I'll let others add to this, I should be revising!

Zippy Saloon
16-05-10, 07:11 PM
rear windows creep down, give them a push down to test to see if they're okay
>perhaps new rear window regulator, £20.

-heater blower 1 + 2 doesn't work
>a resistor costing pennies from maplin, a new pack from a scrappy, or a repaired one available from a forum member on here I think, for like a fiver. Access to this is very very easy.

Cured windows on mine by repositioning handles, cost nothing.

Forgot about the blower resistors, "maplinned" years ago and fine since

Yampiedog
16-05-10, 07:12 PM
My first ever MG was a Mk1 ZS 120+ Hatch - the first car I really appreciated - I bought it in 2001 on a 51 plate brand new, best car I have ever bought.

gsinclairzs
16-05-10, 07:22 PM
Go for it. Top car for little money. HGF is always the biggest worry, but an uprated land rover gasket can be fitted if it goes.

Glenn
16-05-10, 10:17 PM
Thanks everyone really good information here. I have been looking at a ZS and a ZR 120 but am leaning more towards the ZS. My friends dad has a Mk1 ZS 180 hatch and i really like the look of it but obviously i cant afford the insurance on the 2.5. What were the major differences between the 120 and 120+ models. Ive also seen a few cars which have the extra spoiler on the front was this an option? Thanks Glenn

Maxfly
16-05-10, 11:35 PM
Thanks everyone really good information here. I have been looking at a ZS and a ZR 120 but am leaning more towards the ZS. My friends dad has a Mk1 ZS 180 hatch and i really like the look of it but obviously i cant afford the insurance on the 2.5. What were the major differences between the 120 and 120+ models. Ive also seen a few cars which have the extra spoiler on the front was this an option? Thanks Glenn

depending on model year i think the + model gave you air con or sunny roof, leccy mirrors and windows..no 100% on whit else though:)

starfire039
17-05-10, 01:40 AM
the 120 and 120+ have standard bodykits, no front bib spoiler, standard side skirts, smaller rear spoiler. An optional extra is the "180" bodykit, that is standard on a 180- front bib spoiler, different side skirts, extreme spoiler on the saloon. Not sure about hatches, I guess the "batwing" spoiler is the 180 spoiler on the hatch.

To be honest the ZS trim levels can be quite random. A lot of the extras are optional, not dictated by trim. For example, my car has:

- Windy windows
- No aircon
- Electric (!) sunroof
- Half leather seats
- Full 180 kit
- No fogs
- 17" Straight spoke wheels
- electric mirrors

Quite wierd really- normally my sort of spec would have no body kit, no sunny, and the hairpin alloys. A + spec is a good one to go with obviously as you get your toys like leccy windows and AC, but research what car has as there aren't any ZS's the same, they're all unique. Not as clear cut as say, a vauxhall trim level, with umpteen trim levels so you know pretty much what to expect.

Not being biased because I own one, but, providing you do your homework and buy a cared for ZS, you will fall in love with it. I bought my car on impulse because I fell in love with it, and to this day I love it to pieces, it's unique, it's handling is absolutely superb, it has tons of character, they are uber reliable, i covered 20k miles in a year, from 27k to 47k, the "formative" miles, and it's never missed a beat, flew through MOT's no problem, and there's a great community of people that will help you out if you get stuck. you just can't get a better car for the money, so if you don't go for a ZS, then for christ sake spend more money and get something else because for the money Z's go for, you'll get stuff like corsa's, or 206's. And I know what I'd rather have!

StragglaSteve
17-05-10, 08:25 AM
Not being biased because I own one, but, providing you do your homework and buy a cared for ZS, you will fall in love with it. I bought my car on impulse because I fell in love with it, and to this day I love it to pieces, it's unique, it's handling is absolutely superb, it has tons of character, they are uber reliable and it's never missed a beat, flew through MOT's no problem, and there's a great community of people that will help you out if you get stuck.

I couldnt agree more!

when i got my ZS 120+ i was in the local cargiant looking for a BMW 3 series, i only had a budget of £3k and for the money, all the 3 series on offer were skips!...

just as i was starting to lose hope and about to leave the dealership... i spotted the green beast under a ray of light mixed in amungst all the shabby fiestas and corsas... it was deffo love at 1st sight! there was nothing about the car i could fault!

had it 5 years now and i am so glad i bought the green beast! and not some shabby BMW!!

what problems has it had?

- all calipers have needed replacing at some point
- new radiator as mine was so old and rusty it dropped all its fluid! luckily it didnt cause HGF :)
- sticky rear door handle and rear windows slip
- heater setting 1 and 2 doesnt work

the car is on 92k miles and i think for 5 years motoring, thats pritty good!

also any issues that have come up have been quite cheap to repair when comparing it to other car manufacturers.

If you are enthusiastic about cars, or just love to drive! then i would 100% recommend getting one!

Glenn
17-05-10, 04:18 PM
Yeah am really fancying one of these now. Like i said its either a ZS or ZR. Am really getting into Mg's at the moment after having 3 polos, a golf and a fabia vrs. I have a soft spot fot eh zs its just finding a good one now same goes for the zr. What mpg can you expect from everday driving. Thanks the information so far has been brilliant. Glenn

RudeDogg1
17-05-10, 05:10 PM
wouldnt bother with a zr

Zippy Saloon
17-05-10, 05:56 PM
What mpg can you expect from everday driving.

35mpg minimum from mine, up to low 40s on relaxed m/way run.

Glenn
17-05-10, 05:58 PM
wouldnt bother with a zr

How come? not well built?

Flocka
17-05-10, 06:04 PM

Think of it as 3/4 of a ZS.

Glenn
17-05-10, 06:38 PM
Ahh, are the straights alloys all 17" or were some bigger? Did the zs come with an alarm as standard also? thanks

leezs110
17-05-10, 07:00 PM
You may also want to consider the ZS110 model which is the baby of the ZS family, has a 1.6 engine! ;)

I have to say i love mine it goes really well & does everything i ask of it, no doubt the 1.8 will have more low down torque but the little 1.6 revs like a nutter & is great fun to drive! :)

It really does depend what floats ya boat really, but theres a good choice between engines, 1.6, 1.8, 2.5 petrols & not forgetting the 2.0 Turbo Diesel models.

RudeDogg1
17-05-10, 07:44 PM

just dont think they are that good my mum had a r25 (same as a zr) plus they arnt realy a mans car lol

Glenn
18-05-10, 12:51 AM
Ah right I see, well am leaning more towards the ZS now, just need to find one preferably in trophy blue or dark silver/grey. Ill keep you posted when i find one :) Thanks Glenn

Simon's ZS-120
18-05-10, 03:26 AM
i have a MK2 zs it got in 2 years ago on 15k on the clock i paid 4 k for mine but its the 120+

i got these bits on mine

Parking sensors on the rear
full 180 kit
air con
electric windows on the front
spot lights
17" straight alloys
factory alrarm (very loud)
power steering of coarse

im now coming up to 60,000 and have had no major problems with the head gasket yet ive found this to be the best car i have own and driven and would be a hard push to sell it its great on fuel and its good fun to play on legal roads ;)

StragglaSteve
18-05-10, 10:57 AM
just dont think they are that good my mum had a r25 (same as a zr) plus they arnt realy a mans car lol

Agreed, ZR for the ladies ;)

mattie007
18-05-10, 11:06 AM
Great cars, the plus points being superb handling, cheap to run, nice looks and quite rare.
I get 35 mpg out of mine, but recently got 520 miles out of a tank, nearly 45mpg!

Ive had mine for 4 years and covered 45000 miles.

Costs over that time:
2 MOT passes
2 MOT fails - 1 for knackered wiper blade, 1 for CV boots (budget for these as they WILL go at some point!) around £150

Head Gasket Failure - uprated Land Rover kit around £500

4 tyres - £60 a corner

2 sets of front discs and pads - £100 a time

Cambelt service - £300

Great cars and really good fun on track (The reason why ive got through so many brakes!)

Only annoying things with the car are the interior rattles that I have learned to live with, noisy suspension, bodywork easily dents, poorly made seats and bulbs seem to blow all time!

Dont worry about parts, everything is still easily available.

Zippy Saloon
18-05-10, 11:12 AM
Dont worry about parts, everything is still easily available.

Apart from MkII bodykit parts. :rip:

Simon's ZS-120
18-05-10, 01:07 PM
few pics of my 120