PDA

View Full Version : Saloon or hatch? :)

shcKr-
23-05-10, 04:38 PM
Hey all,
I am currently on the hunt for a ZS (both mk1 120), I have two in mind and really can't make my mind up on which one to go with..

The saloon:
60,000 miles
Grey
New cambelt 3,000 miles ago

Hatch:
80,000 miles
Trophy blue
Unsure on cambelt, but I think it has been done recently

Is there any questions/things I should be looking for in particular?
Which one is the better one to go for? I couldn't really notice any differences between them other than the saloon, ofcourse being a saloon :P

Also, final question for today (I promise) is it worth looking into replacing the head gasket as soon as possible?

Smokey
23-05-10, 04:50 PM
Saloon, prefer the look, less mileage and definate recent belt change. No contest for me.

RudeDogg1
23-05-10, 05:21 PM
no u dont have to worry about the gasket if the cars been looked after

Rocket Red
23-05-10, 06:24 PM
i like the saloon but it's all down to personal taste :smile1:

Zippy Saloon
23-05-10, 06:38 PM
no u dont have to worry about the gasket if the cars been looked afterHave seen a few threads around the web where looked after cars have had hgf.
Can't do any harm to keep an eye on things though - must be a lot that have gone where owner only opens bonnet when something goes wrong.
Always worth bearing in mind that there are other sources of coolant loss - heater valve, water pump, thermostat & inlet manifold gasket (mine went a few weeks ago and a quick look could have led you to suspect hgf)

gsinclairzs
23-05-10, 07:04 PM
I prefer the look of the saloon ever so slightly. Would say the hatch is a little more practical though.

SharronB
23-05-10, 07:17 PM
Saloon, prefer the look, less mileage and definate recent belt change. No contest for me.

+ 1 but its up to personal taste

Southside_ZS
23-05-10, 08:16 PM
I prefer the saloon but looks so much better with the extreme spoiler.

shcKr-
24-05-10, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the comments and opinions guys/girls :)
I'm putting a deposit down tonight on the saloon :D Just need to get myself an extreme spoiler :D

Rocket Red
24-05-10, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the comments and opinions guys/girls :)
I'm putting a deposit down tonight on the saloon :D Just need to get myself an extreme spoiler :D

i've got one for sale. :greedy:

Andyf
24-05-10, 06:15 PM
Have seen a few threads around the web where looked after cars have had hgf.
Can't do any harm to keep an eye on things though - must be a lot that have gone where owner only opens bonnet when something goes wrong.
Always worth bearing in mind that there are other sources of coolant loss - heater valve, water pump, thermostat & inlet manifold gasket (mine went a few weeks ago and a quick look could have led you to suspect hgf)

I looked after my car, never thrashed it and serviced it regularly and mine went at 42K miles.

The saloon is a good choice, the extreme spoiler will finish it off nicely. I got one for mine and love it!

shcKr-
24-05-10, 07:07 PM
I had some bad and good news today :(
I went to put the deposit on the saloon, but was told someone came in the morning and put a deposit down on it :( Goddamn!!

But on the plus side, I popped down to the garage where the other ZS and asked for more details, mainly just the cambelt and found out it had a service, new head gasket and cambelt fitted two weeks ago :D So its not all doom and gloom I guess :)

I pick it up on thursday, to say I'm excited is an understatement :D