PDA

View Full Version : What the ZS like to live with everyday?

haGGard
01-06-10, 08:26 PM
Hi,

i've just posted in the new members section so onto my first question! I'm interested in a ZS as a car to use everyday. I've never thought of owning one, but i drove past one the other day and i couldnt help but look. Is it reliable? I've heard all the horror stories about head gaskets on the 1.6 and 1.8 petrols. I'd probably go for a 1.8 petrol as im only 23. I'm basically on the look out for a good looking friendly car which can be a bit of fun too and has lots of room with a decent boot to fit a pram in with no trouble.

Thanks!

Phate
01-06-10, 08:33 PM
As an everyday car they are perfectly fine. Not too bumpy, liveable, comfy enough etc.

Not sure about the 1.8 reliability though. Only the 2.5L

Jay-ZS+
01-06-10, 08:35 PM
I had the 1.8 (120) before getting the 180 and it was a great car, was reasonably quick but great fun on country roads :)

Also the 120 is cheaper on tax/petrol. The ZS' seem to fly through MOTs too!

Theres the obvious issues with HGF but Ive had 3 kseries engined cars and never had one go.

Jem
01-06-10, 09:13 PM
If you are worried about head gaskets problems go for a diesel,Cheaper on the tax aswell.

Nor
01-06-10, 09:14 PM
It's a 180 I have, but fine daily driver. Turning circle is quite large though, 11m on MK2 with bodykit. Not sure about other models.

Ritchy
01-06-10, 09:20 PM
its fine to live with, the head gasket will only usually go if the engine overheats, and if it does go then the uprated gasket doesnt suffer the same problem, the cars got a pretty big boot, and everything is pretty simple so not a lot to go wrong, but stil a nice car to drive

will-w
01-06-10, 09:30 PM
I've got a diesel, do 60 miles a day to work and back and have no major complaints about economy - I'm getting just under 50mpg at the moment, and that's with a heavy right foot!

From what I can gather the mk1 (up to 2004) are built slightly better (but don't look as good IMO), I know a few mk2 guys who've had no problems so think it's down to the individual car... I think my mk2 (2005) was built on a Friday as it can be a little trying at times!

If you want really good performance then get a 180. If you want brilliant economy with good performance then get a diesel (115). Other than that the 110 (1.6)/120 (1.8) both do a 60 sprint in about the same time as the diesel yet aren't as punchy in gear, they return a good 10-20mpg less but on the plus side don't sound like a tractor!! :)

grimmy
01-06-10, 09:48 PM
I have been living my my zs's as daily drivers for about 8 years firstly a 120 mk1 then a mk2 180 and had hardly any problems whatsoever great cars and you wont regret buying one.

peterzs
01-06-10, 10:04 PM
My Mk2 is the first derv I've had in 40 years of driving and I love it, fast enough to have fun, but also low insurance, £125 road tax.

All have massive boots, best thing is to take one or two out and see what you like, all handle and go well. Just up to you what model will be best.

:yes::yes::yes:

ian zs180
01-06-10, 10:09 PM
I love my 180 great daily drive car and when you wanna have fun boy does it put a big smile on ya face . Good size boot aswell and handles like a dream get one you will love it

Zippy Saloon
02-06-10, 04:01 AM
Had the same one for nearly 8 years, thats got to say something!

Maxxed_Ross
02-06-10, 06:46 AM
The economy won't be great if you have a heavy foot, but I got over 400 miles out of a tank a few times driving from Edinburgh to Sheffield

It seems to get more economical the faster you go, because that was at a steady 85mph!

stamford
02-06-10, 07:08 AM
A fine car, great all rounder and a joy to drive in any mood. It'll put a smile on your face even when you feel down :D

haGGard
02-06-10, 10:01 AM
Thats the kind of car im after then! Something that will put a smile on my face at any time! I really dont like all the boring modern cars with no character.

Well i will definatly be considering a nice clean one. I'll probably go for the 120 but i would really like a 180 so might just bite the bullet!

They seem to vary in price quite a lot on auto-trader. I've seen lots as low as 750 pounds right up into the thousands. Now i know paying more does not necessarily mean your getting a better car (from experiance!) so what kind of figure should i be looking at for a nice clean one with average mileage?

rozzr
02-06-10, 10:51 AM
I owned a ZS 120+ (new shape with kit) for about 15 months which is the longest i've ever owned a car.

Here is what I would say about it:

- comfort: very comfy seats as standard, build quality isn't great so loud at motorway speeds, suspension setup as standard is spot on - perfect balance between sporty and comfort

- practicality: huge boot (this was a hatch) and when you fold the rear seats down you can take almost anything anywhere! 4/5 doors so easy access, very little room for people sitting in the back though especially if tall people in the front.

- performance: 120 1.8 engine is fine, definately don't go any smaller or else you will struggle up hills with people in the car, it is by NO means quick but it gets about and is just fine

- reliability/maintanence: fairly reliable, had a few small things and HGF over the period I had it. Small things very easy to fix yourself - very DIY-friendly cars and loads of parts available from scrappies. HGF is a ****** but still only £350-ish to fix so not that big a deal. Easy to maintain and keep going.

- economy: averaged about 36mpg in my 120, insurance cheap, road tax is ok and as I said cheap car to run and maintain. also you will barely see any depreciation which is always nice as they are not far off their residual value by now!

My advice: go for it! Get a 120, best balance of performance to economy but if you can afford the 180 easily enough then go for that, definately a no brainer. Make sure you get a mk2 with the full 180 kit (big spoiler, vents in wings, flared arches, etc - looks fantastic), I would probably go for a saloon but hatch may be more practical.

They really are great cars and you simply will not find a better car for the money.

haGGard
02-06-10, 08:20 PM
Yea, you definatly get lots for your money it seems. I think i like the look of the saloon a little bit more. I'm going to save a little more money and see what i can find. Not going to rush into anything though, i'll wait for the right one to come along.

p_b82
02-06-10, 09:21 PM
well i feel with all the praise for the petrols i should stand in the corner for the derv side of things ;)

When standard mine only hiccuped once when a one-off clutch failure sprung not bad for 65K.... for motorway schlepping and b-road blasts i dont think there is a better compromise out there than a derv ZS.

should you feel the factory power levels are not quite up to scratch there are a few cheap ways to bump power up by a nice %, and the same with the torque too... unless you are like me and try to turn it into a 180 derv, there are very few reliability issues with some careful mods...

I probably average around 450 miles to a tank (or 45mpg as i never let the tank get empty) but have seem over 600 with some careful use of the right foot.

even with mine tuned i get 45mpg day in day out at normal driving... and i dont hang around on the motorway either!

My car has been described a few ways before 'I thought i was going to be run over by an intercity 125, then i realised it was just you coming up the road' and my recent favourite ' your car is like a windsor chair with an ASBO'

Yes i know they will never scream like a 4 pot K or howl like a KV6, but i know i am laughing all the way to the bank.... (well i was till I threw silly money at it :laugh:)

haGGard
07-06-10, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies, will be test driving one soon hopefully. p_b82^^ What engine are you getting those mpg figures on?

Also forgot to ask a question which rozzr touched on about parts. You mentioned you get cheap parts from scrappys which is all good, but are there parts made new still?

Bobdope2002
07-06-10, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies, will be test driving one soon hopefully. p_b82^^ What engine are you getting those mpg figures on?

Also forgot to ask a question which rozzr touched on about parts. You mentioned you get cheap parts from scrappys which is all good, but are there parts made new still?

yes you can still get most parts made by different manufactures minus the mk2 bodykit and the 180 radiators are quite a rare find too

will-w
07-06-10, 07:44 PM
p_b82^^ What engine are you getting those mpg figures on?

It'll be a 'slightly modified' 2.0 L series diesel..

In comparison my derv (engine standard except BMC CDA & decat) has been getting an average of 54mpg on my A-road blast to work.

Even managed to get 58.9 on my run to Chester and back at the weekend! :evil:

637miles to £60 of diesel can't be bad!! :D

mattie007
07-06-10, 08:03 PM
Had mine 4 years and still enjoy driving it. Im 25 and pay £188 insurance, nothing else comes close to that! Also had 520 miles from a tank out of my 120.....

daytona365
07-06-10, 09:41 PM
My Mk1 ZS180 makes me feel like a 20yr old again. fast, 4 doors, big boot. You can go shopping, take ya mother out, and on the wkds find a nice open country lane and ZOOM!!!!

Yampiedog
07-06-10, 09:47 PM
Maybe someone near you could take you for a spin? What part of the country are you?

Jem
07-06-10, 10:08 PM
Had mine 4 years and still enjoy driving it. Im 25 and pay £188 insurance, nothing else comes close to that! Also had 520 miles from a tank out of my 120.....

Your 25 thats got to be the best insurance ever for the age,Who are you with?

WXM Matty
07-06-10, 10:22 PM
Driving a 1.8 hatch and insurance was just as cheap as my 1.4 ZR and its such an improvement.

haGGard
08-06-10, 12:37 AM
Maybe someone near you could take you for a spin? What part of the country are you?

Im in near Dartford in kent, in a town called Erith. If anyone want to take me for a spin i'd be happy to ride along!

Thats cheap, who are you with?

Hambo-180
08-06-10, 09:38 AM
I love my 180 great daily drive car and when you wanna have fun boy does it put a big smile on ya face . Good size boot aswell and handles like a dream get one you will love it

couldn't have said it better myself! Bought a 180 5 door in trophy blue brand new on a 52 plate, still got it, love it! :D

StragglaSteve
08-06-10, 09:44 AM

Dude whats your secret?

im 25, with 5 years no claims and my insurance is just under £500 fully comp :o

Hambo-180
08-06-10, 10:09 AM
Dude whats your secret?

im 25, with 5 years no claims and my insurance is just under £500 fully comp :o

thats a good effort with the insurance mate. I'm the wrong side of 40 with full no claims bonus (25 years to be exact) and i pay £200 a year for my 180!!!:slap:

StragglaSteve
08-06-10, 10:34 AM
thats a good effort with the insurance mate. I'm the wrong side of 40 with full no claims bonus (25 years to be exact) and i pay £200 a year for my 180!!!:slap:

Aye but im driving a 120 like Mattie up there!

surley mine should be similar to his? unless hes got limited milage or something? :shifty:

Hambo-180
08-06-10, 10:54 AM
Aye but im driving a 120 like Mattie up there!

surley mine should be similar to his? unless hes got limited milage or something? :shifty:

should be mate yeah. Is his fully comp, good postcode, no full no claims bonus etc etc....

vanishing days
08-06-10, 11:12 AM
im 24 with 2 years ncb and i pay 650 on a 120

p_b82
08-06-10, 11:16 AM
It'll be a 'slightly modified' 2.0 L series diesel..

In comparison my derv (engine standard except BMC CDA & decat) has been getting an average of 54mpg on my A-road blast to work.

Even managed to get 58.9 on my run to Chester and back at the weekend! :evil:

637miles to £60 of diesel can't be bad!! :D

Heheh yes you could say it is 'slightly modified' (check my build thread in the projects section :happy2:)

When i pootle along a-raods i get closer to 50-55mpg i will be honest, but i drive at outside lane speeds on the motorway (at 3000rpm) and the economy takes a bit of a hit; and that is where i spend most of my time travelling

Hambo-180
08-06-10, 11:30 AM
im 24 with 2 years ncb and i pay 650 on a 120

thats not to bad considering robbing insurance companies think MG's are highly "stealable"...

what kinda money are other folk paying?

stamford
08-06-10, 12:30 PM
Why not come along to the Kent meet on the 3rd July, see thread here http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=12220

It'll give you an idea which way to go.

mattie007
08-06-10, 05:19 PM
Im with Chris Knott insurance. All mods declared and parked on a public roads. There might be a mileage limit, not sure though.

Will be even cheaper when I add motorbike and house insurance!

benedwards64
08-06-10, 08:19 PM
I'm 23, 6 years no claims and pay £550 on my Mk1 180. Not bad...

To be honest if you can afford the 180 I'd go for that. You know what'll happen otherwise, you'll be sat at the lights in your 120 and along comes a 180 beside you, the lights change, and you're left with the roar of a V6 and the tail end of a 180 disappearing into the distance......... :super:

(Runs away and awaits a flaming...)

Jay-ZS+
08-06-10, 08:23 PM
I'm 23, 6 years no claims and pay £550 on my Mk1 180. Not bad...

To be honest if you can afford the 180 I'd go for that. You know what'll happen otherwise, you'll be sat at the lights in your 120 and along comes a 180 beside you, the lights change, and you're left with the roar of a V6 and the tail end of a 180 disappearing into the distance......... :super:

(Runs away and awaits a flaming...)

The 120 is the better handling out the two though no doubt about it, with the lighter K series does make it fun on twisty roads :)

They all have their plus points will depend on what your after:
Economy - Derv
Cheap tax/ insurance - 120
Power and V6 roar - 180

Personally Id had a 120 and upgraded to a 180, Currently got a 120 courtersy car whislt the 180 is having some work and truth be told cant wait to have that v6 roar again :devil:

will-w
08-06-10, 08:32 PM
Why not come along to the Kent meet on the 3rd July, see thread here http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=12220

It'll give you an idea which way to go.

I agree! Good chance to get a close look at some nice cars!

I'm putting my derv up for sale soon too!:whistle:

RichZS180
12-06-10, 12:20 AM
V6 do it now. and Mattie if you go buy a 180 like i know you want when you test drove mine before i decided to keep it (Payney off ZS Central) you won't get near £188.

Huffy
12-06-10, 12:32 AM
Derv with SDI ...... simplz

Seriously, cheep to run, insure, and tax! with a few modist mods the girls will be jumping from yur mates Corsa onto your lap :P