PDA

View Full Version : Possible new MG ZS

si3000
11-06-10, 11:41 AM
Hi Guys...

I've owned a ZR for the past year and it was worte of last week, after being rear-ended.

I’ve been looking about for a new car and I’m going to test drive and maybe buy a mk2 ZS tomorrow.

It’s the 2.0l (101?) model. I’ve been a member of the mgzr.co.uk for a few years now but don’t really know much about ZS’s.

Is there any major things I should be looking out for?

Is there really much of a difference between the 101 and 115 diesel engines?

Cheers for any advice guys.

Here are a few pics of the car

2005 MK2 2.Ol with full V6 Body kit. 55,000 and comes with blue alcantara seats! :-D

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg61/si3000/mgzs2.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg61/si3000/mgzs1.jpg

rozzr
11-06-10, 12:12 PM
That's a great one mate, i'd snap that up right away if it's in good nick - very rare combo!

Looks wise you can't do much better than a black mk2 kitted saloon and it sounds well spec'd - plus derv engine with todays fuel prices is always a bonus (as well as being very reliable) - that's if you can put up with derv performance/noise!

Great cars though mate, world apart from the ZR.

stamford
11-06-10, 12:13 PM
I don't know that much about the differences but it does look and sound good from the description. Guess the major difference being the power output and how it is to drive on daily basis. Have you driven a derv before?

Stuart
11-06-10, 12:20 PM
I had the 101 BHP version and loved it, was suprising quick for what it was and the fuel consumption was brilliant, never had a problem with mine, was my dads from new then mine and only ever needed serviced and a few exhaust bits in 115k!

I know one way to tell the difference s that the 115 BHP model has disks on the rear and the 101 has drums. there are prob more but im sure somebody will let you know.

Looks like a really nice car.

si3000
11-06-10, 12:23 PM
I don't know that much about the differences but it does look and sound good from the description. Guess the major difference being the power output and how it is to drive on daily basis. Have you driven a derv before?

I've drove diesels before but never a MG Rover Derv. If all looks 100% tomorrow this could well be the new car :happy2:

Jay-ZS+
11-06-10, 12:30 PM
Im sure I reconise that number plate:hmmm:

si3000
11-06-10, 12:32 PM
Im sure I reconise that number plate:hmmm:

Is that a good or bad thing? :huh:

Its a Northern Ireland registered car.

Jay-ZS+
11-06-10, 12:39 PM
Is that a good or bad thing? :huh:

Its a Northern Ireland registered car.

It may have belonged to a forum member before, if that's the case chances are it was well looked after. I may be mistaken though! :)

StragglaSteve
11-06-10, 12:44 PM
welcome to the big boys fella!

i garantee you will love every minute of your new ZS (when you get it)

also if you so wish, these diesel engines can get some great tuning and a nice bit of torque out of them!

arwilson80
11-06-10, 01:12 PM
Belfast registered... only 2 people on here from N.I. that i can immediately think of and the only one who has a black ZS is me. Not a 'turf burner' though.

and FYI...
Your vehicle (registration AEZ9860) has been identified as a 2005 MG DIESEL 4 DOOR SALOON (ZS+ TD 101).

peterzs
11-06-10, 01:23 PM
If its a 2005 I think its the 115+, theres a sticker on the front pass side, thinks its 83 kwt, a little bit of tweaking and they go well.

Been round Brands Hatch a few times in mine and you can have a good laugh.

You must see if the car will rev up to the red line easily, if not the MAF may be shot, also shouldnt be too noisy. Should pick up around 1800 revs as the turbo kicks in and pull right up to the gear change.

Oil will be black even after a recent oil and filter change, but shouldnt have any mayo in the filler cap, or on the dipstick. Turbo pipes have a habit of splitting/falling off, but if it revs freely should be OK.

Had my belts done at 40,000 cant remember what the recommended milage was, but you could always knock them down a bit if they havnt been done!!!

:wizard::wizard::wizard:

si3000
11-06-10, 09:49 PM
If its a 2005 I think its the 115+, theres a sticker on the front pass side, thinks its 83 kwt, a little bit of tweaking and they go well.

Been round Brands Hatch a few times in mine and you can have a good laugh.

You must see if the car will rev up to the red line easily, if not the MAF may be shot, also shouldnt be too noisy. Should pick up around 1800 revs as the turbo kicks in and pull right up to the gear change.

Oil will be black even after a recent oil and filter change, but shouldnt have any mayo in the filler cap, or on the dipstick. Turbo pipes have a habit of splitting/falling off, but if it revs freely should be OK.

Had my belts done at 40,000 cant remember what the recommended milage was, but you could always knock them down a bit if they havnt been done!!!

:wizard::wizard::wizard:

It's def the 101 version, been getting quotes for insurance! Will give it a drive tomorrow and let you's know how i get on

SharronB
11-06-10, 10:37 PM
Go for it! Looks very nice......:clap:

WXM Matty
11-06-10, 11:28 PM
Looks like a tidey motor, going from a ZR to a ZS you wont look back.

si3000
12-06-10, 08:59 AM
What belts etc should be changed on the ZS at 50k+?

Going to see the car at 12 today so want to have a list of questions/things to check.

peterzs
12-06-10, 09:56 AM
Cam belt, but there are tensioners that are worth doing, have a look at repair kits, should have whats in them. I dont know if its worth doing water pump as well.

But you can always lay it on a bit to get a bit of cash back.

Might be worth getting hold of Ralph at EMS, they carry out work on the MG the contact numbers come up at the start up, or go into site traders.

Wife is standing over me waiting to go out, hope this helps, best of luck with the car.

si3000
12-06-10, 09:41 PM
So that ZS looks good but turned out to be a shed.

Bumper is cracked and hanging loose at the back ( I know bumper sag is common, but it looked worse)

Speedo didnt work and seemed to run rough and loud.

Going to see another facelift Zed like mine on Monday, only difference is that its xpower grey. Think the ZR is looking like the more likely option at the min. Just love my ZR too much to move to the ZS. lol

will-w
12-06-10, 09:59 PM
Shame it turned out to be a dud!

Belts on the derv should be done every 5 years or 48k miles, I had mine done a few k ago...

If you want a mk2 derv and don't mind not having the 180 kit then you can have mine! ;)

peterzs
12-06-10, 10:02 PM
I was reading another post regarding the derv, and they said if it was running rough and noisy could be the fuel pump on the way out. Quite a bit to fix, so maybe good that you didnt go for that one.

:yes::yes::yes:

si3000
12-06-10, 10:04 PM
Shame it turned out to be a dud!

Belts on the derv should be done every 5 years or 48k miles, I had mine done a few k ago...

If you want a mk2 derv and don't mind not having the 180 kit then you can have mine! ;)

lol cheers!

Nah if i was for going for ZS i would want the 180 kit on it :look: Diesel ZS's with the full 180 kit are few and far between, its that way in NI anyway.

will-w
13-06-10, 07:54 AM
Nah if i was for going for ZS i would want the 180 kit on it :look: Diesel ZS's with the full 180 kit are few and far between, its that way in NI anyway.

Diesel ZS's are few and far between full stop; when I was looking there were 4 mk2's advertised on Auto Trader/Pistonheads and only one of those had the 180 kit on it!:wacko:

p_b82
14-06-10, 02:07 PM
did you run the carto get it nice and hot, or did it sound loud rough on a cold engine? if cold, then all L-series sound a bit agricultural until warmed up.

If however it sounded really loud even after a spin to get it warmed up, then it is likely it was suffering from 'tractor syndrome' where the fuel pump is indeed on the way out.

also to say about the 115 vs 101 difference, then it is not that easy to spot. As the 115 map was only available from 03 onwards - right from project drive - a lot of cars came out with a mix match of parts. *if* it came out the factory as a 115 then it would be on the passenger B-pillar.

If not then i would not worry, as it is only a softwre ECU upgrade, and getting it remapped or SDI injectors would bring the same end result if it were 101 or 115 to start with.