PDA

View Full Version : Testing plugs

Nor
14-06-10, 02:18 PM
Recently fitted a new plenum to my car. Thanks for Dogsbe for supplying it, he was excellent, thoroughly recommend him.

What I would like to do though is also check that the VIS plugs are working correctly (the plugs you connect to the 2 VIS motors). If anyone has any ideas of how this might be accomplished I'm all ears :)

Thanks.

arwilson80
14-06-10, 02:25 PM
KevG has some device that he made for testing the VIS valves... Not sure if that'd work.

edit:
Here's the link - http://www.themg.org/vb/showthread.php?t=10986&highlight=tester

Jay-ZS+
14-06-10, 02:26 PM
Indeed he does
http://www.themg.org/vb/showthread.php?t=10986&highlight=VIS+tester

Nor
14-06-10, 02:29 PM
Kev's bit of kit tests the motors (brilliantly btw :)). What I'd like to do is test the plugs that connect to the motors.

Jay-ZS+
14-06-10, 03:51 PM
Wonder if making a vis indicator work? Would tell you when the valves are open and if you know the motors work and the indicator doesnt flash up can assume an electrical fault at the plug.

stamford
14-06-10, 06:16 PM
Wonder if making a vis indicator work? Would tell you when the valves are open and if you know the motors work and the indicator doesnt flash up can assume an electrical fault at the plug.

Sounds like the kit fitted to the dash.

Jay-ZS+
14-06-10, 06:28 PM
Sounds like the kit fitted to the dash.

Yer thats what I ment :) Prehaps if it doesnt light, will signal a fault with the plugs. Guess depends where the VIS indicator taps into the circuit, Ive got one but never looked at the wiring of it.

stamford
15-06-10, 07:30 AM
Led's always illuminated (green) when in closed state, when cam moves green led extinguishes and changes to amber and then vice-versa to show the cams have moved off and rotated to the second position and made contact. So it is really only telling you that the micro-switch has seen the actuation and made contact. Nothing to say the plug is okay, otherwise it'll need a secondary circuit to show there is power there etc, is it worth it when the fault is always the vis unit? I think the vis indicators is enough on its own to show that the cam has actuated in both positions which tells you the switch is working in both conditions.

Jay-ZS+
15-06-10, 07:36 AM
Nothing to say the plug is okay, otherwise it'll need a secondary circuit to show there is power there etc, is it worth it when the fault is always the vis unit?

I was just thinking out loud really, Suppose a circuit to test current in the plug would work as Nor wants to test the plug itself. Kev is the one to ask.

What I'd like to do is test the plugs that connect to the motors.

KevG
15-06-10, 07:55 AM
Let me look into it.

Nor
15-06-10, 01:04 PM
Led's always illuminated (green) when in closed state, when cam moves green led extinguishes and changes to amber and then vice-versa to show the cams have moved off and rotated to the second position and made contact. So it is really only telling you that the micro-switch has seen the actuation and made contact. Nothing to say the plug is okay, otherwise it'll need a secondary circuit to show there is power there etc, is it worth it when the fault is always the vis unit? I think the vis indicators is enough on its own to show that the cam has actuated in both positions which tells you the switch is working in both conditions.

Good point really, VIS indicators is maybe the way to go. Been meaning to do it for 3 years now anyway :)

Nor
15-06-10, 03:29 PM
Most of the parts now bought, will let you know how I get on.