PDA

View Full Version : Ralphs ZS

KevG
23-09-07, 06:38 PM
In this Pic, is there a cold air feed in the fake brake ducts?

http://www.mgr-service.com/gallery_mgzs1.jpg

grimmy
23-09-07, 06:44 PM
is that not where his filter is hidden

Mat C
23-09-07, 07:12 PM
You mean like this one on mine ?! :D

stamford
23-09-07, 07:14 PM
Looks a bit restricted there, needs opening up to get the real benefits. However, not many people would like to start carving their beloved up ;)

Mat C
23-09-07, 07:24 PM
Restricted - you are kidding aren't you ?!! There is no better way to have the filter, it's away from all heat sources and is directly at maximum air pressure. It took me a lot of playing around with to get the hoses, pipes and position right but when i hit it, boy did i hit it right ! It's eliminated that nasty low down flat spot that i feel all ZS180's suffer from and it now pulls incredibly. This is the 1st ever filter set up i've done on one of my cars (everything from Cosworths to 205GTI's) where i can genuinly feel a benefit. This is the hose set up i have :)

stamford
23-09-07, 07:30 PM
No, not kidding!

I have worked with induction systems on 750 superbikes and BTCC cars, so know a thing or two!

What I meant was the inlet area, there is more to gain by allowing the air to get in directly to the filter in question, not just the small gap there. I was not knocking you at all.

In other threads I have explained this in greater detail and over on XPF, so know a few things on the subject. The 180 is probably one of the worst cars I have had with regards induction and available space for a road car. It is all about compromise.

Mat C
23-09-07, 07:41 PM
You are so right about being the worst car for induction - that's why i have played around for so long getting this set up ! 1st position was filter directly onto throttle body. Felt sluggish. 2nd was an airfeed from inside the arch to the filter connected by a 90 degree pipe on the body. OK, just like standard. Then i did this and voila - success !! :)

I appreciate your skills in this field and all comments are welcome, after all if it gets us more power then that's great ! Personaly though, this has proved to be the most effective method i've tried on a ZS180 ! Just for the record, it sounds awesome too ! :-D

Oh, one other thing ; that photo was took before it was 100% fully complete. It now has a small mesh grille behind the opening sprayed matt black to deflect stones. I also have drilled a series of holes in the lower part of the inner wing that connects to the front bumper to prevent any water building up - which could be catastrophic ! The filter is positioned further back than it appears though ! :cool2:

stamford
23-09-07, 08:11 PM
I've spent hours with the bumper on and off looking for that last millimetre! I have stopped at this set up for now, and made a marked difference from the inner wing intake I had. I will persevere!

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/stamfordzs180/MG%20ZS180/DSC05510.jpg

Mat C
23-09-07, 08:15 PM
Can't really tell from that picture what you have done to be honest except for removing the fog lamp !

shroonie29
23-09-07, 08:18 PM
BMC Piped to fog light iirc.
What is the Size off the fog light aperture?

Shroon

Mat C
23-09-07, 08:21 PM
Ah, right ! Good for air but not for fog then ! ;)

stamford
23-09-07, 08:23 PM
It's oval, so I cut some Marley downpipe at an angle to copy the angle of the aperture. I used the existing foglamp bracket to fix to and pop rivetted the brackets to the pipe O/D, which I have have just measured and is a miserly 68mm!

I could go much bigger but did not want to increase the hole size incase I reused the foglamp.

The idea was to try it and then take more time to see if I can find a better place to create a permanent aperture.

shroonie29
23-09-07, 08:29 PM
68mm mmm.Was thinking maybe the ITG will benefit from a similar tweek,but the intake is 100mm iirc

Shroon

stamford
23-09-07, 08:39 PM
The oval measurement is 100mm x 68mm. Like I said, just a test until I decide where to put the ideal aperture. There is too much metalwork at the front.

Just need to get a custom rad made, move the battery to the boot and perhaps a new bonnet....................where do I stop!

Boot Hill Bandit
23-09-07, 10:07 PM
In this Pic, is there a cold air feed in the fake brake ducts?

http://www.mgr-service.com/gallery_mgzs1.jpg

Yes there is.......it sounds awesome too!

Smitten Jim

sduk
23-09-07, 11:43 PM
i thought about this with the fogs but with my 1.1litre engine its ok :)

i do believe that my 110 wins with respect of this thread topic :D

stamford
24-09-07, 07:25 AM
:bow: all hail 110's.

KevG
24-09-07, 09:23 AM
Yes there is.......it sounds awesome too!

Smitten Jim

You mean like this one on mine ?! :D

Yeah thats what I have done also, but my CAF goes direct to the BMC, its a good setup IMO

RalphG
24-09-07, 12:26 PM
Late comer...

Yes, the ITG open cone is in the inner wing. The first modification that I did (had done :-D) to the car was to open the dummy vent up to allow more air flow into the inner arch. The air filter position was also changed so that it is now at right angles to the wheel arch (it was parallel previously!).

Mat C
24-09-07, 12:29 PM
Ralph, that's exactly how mine is - at a right angle to the wheel arch ! :-D