PDA

View Full Version : door handle comeing off

scottforsyth
17-06-10, 06:41 PM
hi all my door handle is comeing off at the back can anyone help how will i get it to go back on iv got a mk2 hatch

peterzs
17-06-10, 07:05 PM
Put a search for "door handles" and there are a number of how to's, had a quick read and it sounds like reinforcing around the fixed threaded bit on the handle with araldite, or metal putty.

Best of luck, hope you can get it sorted.

:yes::yes::yes:

ian zs180
18-06-10, 10:23 AM
Common problem i,m afraid i,ve had all 4 done on mine a guy over on xpf did mine 18 months ago and cross fingers there all still ok . He was telling me he had a new one fitted under warrenty back in the days when mgr were still trading and he was saying to me it was only on a week or so and that one went aswell so back to the dealer he went to get another new one i,m afraid the handles or made of paper mashay oh no that would be stronger lol . hope you get it sorted soon mate

staccato
18-06-10, 10:46 AM
Two words - araldite putty!

Halfords. About 6 quid.

Snap off a marble sized piece, mix it up using your finger tips, pull handle back away from the car, push the putty onto the brass coloured connector and push handle firmly onto car. Leave overnight and they'll not fall off again! I've done all 4 with that stuff. It's fantastic.

Leigh_EvoIX
18-06-10, 01:52 PM
Is this a door card off job??

Jem
18-06-10, 01:54 PM
Yea my drivers side surround started to come a bit loose last year its not got worse so ill leave it.

andys1981
18-06-10, 03:29 PM
ave got a cable tie holding one side of ma drivers door handle,as the last owner ballsed his botch job up,a quick fix,til a get round to sorting properly lol

scottforsyth
18-06-10, 08:49 PM
thanks guys ill try that putty stuff from halfords

steve80
20-06-10, 10:39 AM
Think i'll be getting some of that putty stuff, my rear drivers side door handle surround is nackered.

scottforsyth
20-06-10, 06:45 PM
its my passenger side surround that has come off a bit

Ritchy
20-06-10, 07:47 PM
when i got my car got 3 new handles, unfortunatly they painted them with rattle cans and they look horrendous now, ive got 3 new ones off a rover 400 which i think have more polythene through them or something because theyre not as brittle as the 45/zs ones. just need to get them painted now