PDA

View Full Version : Jays MK2 180.

Jay-ZS+
26-06-10, 10:30 PM
Well its back on the road!!! :trampoline::trampoline::trampoline::clap2::D

Got to say a massive thumbs up to George and his team, :thumbsup: there were very few people Id have trusted to do the work and from what Ive seen tonight glad I went to MGRoverpartsLtd as its transformed the car. Although think after all the problems that were hiding within George is just as glad to see the back of it as I was to recieve it!! :yikes:

Just driven it home from work which a short distance but it feels like a different car. Think I will be taking it for a sprinted drive tomorrow :)
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................

Udate: 06/10
So for those of you that dont know, I bought the car last year with overheating problems, got it off a forum member and it was a bit special then. With BTCC replica vinyl, piper decat, cat back, Avos, piper 270 cams, and a big bottle of Nitrous in the boot :yikes:

When I first bought it:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/Progress%20pics/Vinals.jpg

So after a bit of exporation into the engine troubles it was decided a replacement engine was the best way to go.

So George came and picked it up left me a courtesy car and to my disbelief managed to drive it all the way back to Stoke-on-trent!! I only managed 20mins before I had it steaming!! lol When he started it up he said it felt like a cracked head, sure enough one if not both of them was warped!
On the drive back G noticed a few things werent right, majorly one of the driveshafts was shot and the suspension didnt feel right. Its obvious george know the ZS and KV6 better than the back of his hand!!

So whilst George had it hes

Replace the engine,
Swapped cams over with new belts,
Fitted a lighten flywheel,
New clutch,
Replaced the gearbox,
Replaced driveshaft

Engine out and shiny new lightweight flywheel!
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/Progress%20pics/Enginefly.jpg

Then looked at the suspension, for anyone considering coilovers they need looking after!! The ones that were fitted had been on for a long time and they were F**ked! One of the front ones had completly failed and one of the rears was leaking. All the adjustments have seized tight. Will send them off to AVO in a few months time and see if they are beyond a refurb or not.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/Progress%20pics/Coilovers.jpg

So George removed them and replaced with std suspension. Alot of the bolts were siezed and the N/S rear lower arm was a right PITA to remove by the looks of it, all the bolts needed to be cut out so he replace the whole lower arm. :bow: It put up quite a fight!!

I had planned to do the suspension myself when it returned but im glad I didnt as would have been a right struggle to do it on my drive with a hacksaw!!

So massive thanks to G and his team at MGRoverpartsLtd as it such a joy to have the car back on the road and no doubt in the the next few weeks when I get to grips with the light flywheel I will be spending a fortune on petrol :evil:

Took it out this morning for a sprinted drive and its so much smoother than before and its got some real poke! Didnt go too mad as had a loose bottle of NOs in the back so didnt want to throw it around too much!!!

Although after some abuse got a grinding from the N/S/F wheel so gonna look at the brakes and hub tomorrow. Wouldnt surprise me if the bearings have gone as since I bought it, its not done a great deal of miles. :slap:

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................

Update: 07/10

Been working on refurbing a set of pug 406 brembo calipers, Picked up up off ebay fairly cheaply compared to what others have paid for them :D

Anyway, thought Id go for RS green caliper paint as it was the closest to xpower green I could find.
Bought all new seals and bleed nipples from Biggred, then got to work rubing down the calipers and repainting.
After a few coats of paint, new seals, decals and a good clean. Just waiting on the 326mm discs and brackets that I believe are now on order!! So give it 3-4 weeks and should be fitted :) Hoping the missus doesnt notice them as she has no idea Ive bought them!! :ninja::ninja:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/Progress%20pics/Brembos.jpg

Going to replace the rears and paint them to match. Got a little carried away with green paint and have an engine bay to match as well :laugh:

Ive also removed all the vinal that covered the car so its now just a XPG MK2, blends in alot more now and doesnt get eyed up the same as it did before (know some will hate me for that but Ive got other plans for it ;))
Needs a good clean as the green vinal left a load of white residue but Im planning on taking a trip back to the parents house as I left all my polish there so will be spotless next week :thumbsup:

Update: 7/10

Gave the car a good clean today, washed it with body shampoo in hope it may take some of the residue from vinal off. No such luck so ended up getting some Meths on it, yes I did say Meths!! lol Took nearly half a bottle and noticed afterwards there are a few little bits I missed. Then gave it a good clay, never seen a clay bar pick up some much grime after a good clean!! You could feel that the surface felt rough but now its like glass :)

Heres the gear I used.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/Progress%20pics/Detailinggear.jpg

After a quick machine polish with SRP (my finishing compound had gone missing!:evilmad:) went over it with some zymol wax which brought it up pretty well. Going to give it a hard wax this week just for extra protection.

How the car stands now with painted engine bay and lack of vinals.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/Progress%20pics/Enginebaycar.jpg

The shine achieved
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/Progress%20pics/Clean2.jpg

Fairly happy with how its come up, need to find a decent wax to bring the best out with the XPG. (Steve any recommendations?) The body work is in very good nick, there were quite a few swirls but got the worst of it out, can only improve with polishing. There are a few bits of the bodykit that could do with coming off and regluing. Have heard they can be tricky to remove without breaking so will have to approach that with caution.

One thing that I did notice is that the front bumper has more stone chips than paint!! Not surprising really give the mileage, so think I may dig out the fiberglass and spray gun sooner than I first planned :thumbsup:;)

The discs for the brembos should be here end of the month so will get them fitted next, with new fluid, discs/pads and calipers on the rear. Should stop on a six pence then :D

Updated 08/10

Well the car is now filthy again :slap:

Although got other things happening this month, Tinted the rear lights. Did them with a spray tint, Ive written a "How To" if anyone else is intrested in given them a go. http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?p=164546#post164546

Heres the result:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/Progress%20pics/Lightstinted.jpg

Although more exciting than that, look at what a courier dropped off yesterday! The discs for the 4pots I knew what size they were going to be but was shocked when I saw them for myself. They are HUGE!! :w00t:
Looks like a nice kit that the guys on RT have put together, Hats off to them!

Next to a size 10 trainer!
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/Progress%20pics/Discs.jpg

Just need to get myself some rear calipers then will fit them.

Nor
26-06-10, 10:38 PM
Nice one Jay. You must be pleased.

peterzs
27-06-10, 09:50 AM
Swap shifts and come to the Kent meet.

Where:Park Gate Inn
Hollingbourne
Maidstone
ME17 1PG

When: Saturday, July 3rd

Time 12.30

You know you want to, great drive along the motorways as well.

Glad you got it back and going like it should.

:beer2::beer2::beer2::beer2:

stamford
27-06-10, 10:21 AM
About time the old girl was back on the black top, looking forward to seeing it again.

Jay-ZS+
27-06-10, 11:36 AM
Cheers guys its good to have it back on the road.

Post #1 Updated

Phate
27-06-10, 12:40 PM
Congrats Jay, great feeling isn't it to get it back on the road :)

You coming to the meet next week?

andys1981
27-06-10, 03:28 PM
thats good news jay glad to hear youve got her back on the road

Jay-ZS+
27-06-10, 05:32 PM
Congrats Jay, great feeling isn't it to get it back on the road :)

You coming to the meet next week?

I can't mate I've got to work on sat, been given aload of extra hours with the world cup on.

Ritchy
27-06-10, 09:42 PM
brilliantant:D

Steves Cleenz
28-06-10, 08:25 AM
glad its back on the road :)

grimmy
28-06-10, 10:49 AM
Glad to hear its back on the road Jay you must be well chuffed.

Jay-ZS+
13-07-10, 12:27 PM
Small update on post #1 :)

stamford
13-07-10, 12:47 PM
Small! Shame the colours have gone, but I know what it's like having a 'loud' car!

p_b82
13-07-10, 05:05 PM
glad you got it running again, looking forward to getting a ride it it at some point.. hint hint ;)

Dave MGT
13-07-10, 05:57 PM
Dont know how I missed this thread?
Jay its going to look awesome with those green brakes fitted behind the pro race 1.2's.
Flywheels good isnt it!

Look forward to see the pics!

Jay-ZS+
13-07-10, 06:18 PM
Dont know how I missed this thread?
Jay its going to look awesome with those green brakes fitted behind the pro race 1.2's.
Flywheels good isnt it!

Cheers Dave

Flywheel and diff are SO much fun!! Took it out today after a little rain and was a right laugh!! :thumbsup:

MG6Turbo
17-07-10, 06:34 AM
Glad you are happy with it.

George

Jay-ZS+
19-07-10, 07:42 PM
Gave the old girl a clean today, was filthy!!

Dave MGT
19-07-10, 08:02 PM
Gave the old girl a clean today, was filthy!!

If you mean ur car....then yes it was!....lol

Drove passed urs the otherday and saw it destickered. Looks spot on!!!!
You going to bother with the coilovers now? It mush be a great drive now, especially with the std suspension on the roads round here

Jay-ZS+
19-07-10, 08:08 PM
If you mean ur car....then yes it was!....lol

Drove passed urs the otherday and saw it destickered. Looks spot on!!!!
You going to bother with the coilovers now? It mush be a great drive now with the std suspension on the roads round here

What you doing round my way? Should have popped in mate.

Im going to get the coils refurbed when funds allow and consider what to do then.

Its got a sticky throttle at the moment, take my foot off the gas at lights and it idles at 1.5-2k, Going to clean the idle control valve with some carb cleaner or similar. Its driving great, the brakes are shocking at the moment though, but that will be addressed.

Any recommendations for brake fluid, was going to go 5.1 but unsure of brand?

BUCKYDEVIL
19-07-10, 08:22 PM
Car looks Amazing Jay , glad youve got it back and happy.

Jay-ZS+
19-07-10, 09:07 PM
Car looks Amazing Jay , glad youve got it back and happy.

Cheers mate thinking of tinting the rear lights after seeing pics of yours! :)

Dave MGT
19-07-10, 11:50 PM
What you doing round my way? Should have popped in mate.

Im going to get the coils refurbed when funds allow and consider what to do then.

Its got a sticky throttle at the moment, take my foot off the gas at lights and it idles at 1.5-2k, Going to clean the idle control valve with some carb cleaner or similar. Its driving great, the brakes are shocking at the moment though, but that will be addressed.

Any recommendations for brake fluid, was going to go 5.1 but unsure of brand?

unipart 5.1 i used.
I was going to roadworthy. Didnt have time to stop as I already had a bit of a skive...lol

Jay-ZS+
05-08-10, 01:18 PM
Post 1# Updated with tinted rear lights and the Brembo Discs have now turned up so will fit them soon :punk:

p_b82
05-08-10, 01:29 PM
looking good there Jay; i bet those disks weigh a TON - but they do look like monsters.

I uhmmed and Ahh'd about getting a set, but decided in the end not to bother until i have put the 282 setup through it's paces - if i find it lacking then will have to do summit about it later.

Also first time isaw the pics without the stickers.... have to admit i prefer it without them on, even tho they were pretty cool. Summit about an XPG ZS isn't there :)

BUCKYDEVIL
05-08-10, 01:38 PM
XPG really suits the Tinted rear lights.
What else you got planned ?

Jay-ZS+
05-08-10, 01:40 PM
looking good there Jay; i bet those disks weigh a TON - but they do look like monsters.

I uhmmed and Ahh'd about getting a set, but decided in the end not to bother until i have put the 282 setup through it's paces - if i find it lacking then will have to do summit about it later.

Also first time isaw the pics without the stickers.... have to admit i prefer it without them on, even tho they were pretty cool. Summit about an XPG ZS isn't there :)

The parcel was down as weighing 18kgs! Thats with brackets and boxes :laugh:
Going to have to loose some weight somewhere to make up for them!!

The 282s are great and all thats really needed for road use, although eventually I plan to use it on track. Thats if I dont go down the 2 wheelled route, went on the back of my mates VFR the other day and holly Sh*t that thing accelerates quick! Wasnt too keen when he got the front wheel up under acceleration not a fan of the handles being behind either:blink:

Jay-ZS+
05-08-10, 01:45 PM
XPG really suits the Tinted rear lights.
What else you got planned ?

Yer I was a massive fan of throphy blue but starting to really like XPG :D

Going to put some bucket seats in it, and considering stripping it out although its my only car so not sure what it will be like to live with everyday. Need to fix the inlet manifold as its starting to rattle when cold. Then I may get on and do some custom body mods ;)

stamford
05-08-10, 01:54 PM
18kgs is a fair chuck of weight to be going on, what do the current ones come in at?

Jay-ZS+
05-08-10, 02:00 PM
18kgs is a fair chuck of weight to be going on, what do the current ones come in at?

No idea to be honest, It will make quite a difference as of course its unsprung mass, wonder what the % increase will be of the centrifugal force when in motion will be compared to the OE. :hmmm:

Oh well sure the 4pots will more than make up for it :yes:

Jay-ZS+
21-08-10, 04:32 PM
Update: 08/10

So spend the day overhauling my brakes. There must be something about me, rain and 4 pots, as Dave will remember last time I worked with 4 pots it poured and the two of us ended up like drowned rats :laugh:

After I helped a mate replace an exhaust that fell off his gfs car in a nearby tesco carpark, managed to rope a few lads into helping it always helps to have some banter :)

Ran into a few problems in the process. The first bolt I touched on the rear calipers was seized after some brute force I managed to loosen it but at the cost of loosing all the skin covering the knuckle of my thumb leaving me looking at bone :slap: After a bit of kitchen roll and leccy tape, straped it up and cracked on. It soon went numb after the kitchen roll absorbed the brake fluid! :yikes::laugh:

The next issue was a seized slider pin on the rear carriers, after fighting with it for a while one of the lads jumped on his motorbike and took it to a local garage. Where the oxy acetylene torch made light work of it! We greased them up and replaced all the seal fitted new pads and that was the rear done.

Then attacked the fronts, they took alittle trial and error to get then fit just right. Had to space the disc and calipers out with shims to make sure the caliper sat centrally on the disc. However once we had this right it was a straight forward fit. Flushed the system through with some 5.1 and bled it. Rebled it yesterday and got alittle more air out the system. They need to bed in abit but feel as if they will be awsome getting better with every time I use them.

The green goes well with the XPG and the sunstrip :cool2:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/Progress%20pics/brembosfitted.jpg

Nor
21-08-10, 04:41 PM
Looks great Jay :thumbsup:

petet16
21-08-10, 05:11 PM
Looking very nice Jay.

I left my Brembos in stealth black lol.

But they will bed in after a while, I think I bled mine 3 times in total with a vacuum bleeder, did you have any problem with getting a fluid tight seal on the banjo bolts, I ended up using Dowty seals instead of the crush washers as I just couldn't get it to seal.

I pity you working outside in this weather, shows grit and determination

Did you bin the heat shields, I found there was no way of getting enough clearance to keep them, I also found that with lowered suspension the lower ball joint can foul on the disc, I used some 17mm AF nuts to try and cure it, but it still touched when the springs compressed during cornering, in the end I went back to the standard ride height.

Jay-ZS+
21-08-10, 05:25 PM
At the mo theres STD suspension fitted so didn't have that problem, I've also got no heat shield as that was removed for the willwoods to fit. I picked up a bleeding kit with one way valve of fleebay for about ?3 and that worked brilliantly allowed me to do it alone yesterday. Gonna leave them a week to bed in and bleed again over the bank holiday :)

Did notice my wheels rub slightly when cornering hard now but nothing major.

Marky Mark
21-08-10, 05:53 PM
Looking very nice there Jay, good work and a nice colour too! ;)

Gonna take a look at my brakes over the bank holiday, I think I have had a similar experience as you with a noise that sounds like the bearing gone, but I am convinced it's linked with the brakes. :)

Dave MGT
21-08-10, 05:59 PM
They look cracking Jay!! nice mod.

Shame about the rain again!!! lol

peterzs
21-08-10, 06:05 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Well done Jay, worth the fight.

Another tick in the box.

:beer::beer:

Jay-ZS+
21-08-10, 06:31 PM
They look cracking Jay!! nice mod.

Shame about the rain again!!! lol

Lol yer wasn't nearly as bad as when we took the wilwoods off that was stupidly wet :laugh:

Supercharged_Z
21-08-10, 07:22 PM
im glad you went for the brembo setup.

looks good

Jay-ZS+
21-08-10, 07:31 PM
im glad you went for the brembo setup.

i have learnt the hardway that wilwoods are utter tosh!!! poorly built, built cheaply, and the quality is nowhere the same as hi spec let alone brembo etc!!

selling them now lol

looks good

Lol may want to edit your post if trying to sell them!! The brembos certainly seem well made and it's a great kit the RT lads have put together. Yet to get the best out of them but they feel as if they will be great :D

Supercharged_Z
21-08-10, 07:52 PM
Lol may want to edit your post if trying to sell them!! The brembos certainly seem well made and it's a great kit the RT lads have put together. Yet to get the best out of them but they feel as if they will be great :D

no i dont mind, i have them sold already lol, if not then ebay will do

daytona365
21-08-10, 08:45 PM
Love the engine cover, how did you paint that? Looks like its green plastic...

Ritchy
21-08-10, 08:52 PM
looks really really good mate, the reen is a good colour perfect match for xpg, that should have been standard fit tbh!

Jay-ZS+
21-08-10, 09:35 PM
Love the engine cover, how did you paint that? Looks like its green plastic...

Just painted it with the left over caliper paint. It's not spot on tbh.

looks really really good mate, the reen is a good colour perfect match for xpg, that should have been standard fit tbh!

Cheers mate very happy with them

Ritchy
21-08-10, 09:39 PM
should be there brilliant!

p_b82
22-08-10, 06:07 PM
Looking good there Jay, i am still half kicking myself for not getting in for the group buy. but i really dont want to fit spacer's and i like my OE look too much....

Ah well, maybe i will get overmyself at some point and get a set made up - but cripple me with the non group buy prices i expect!

petet16
22-08-10, 07:14 PM
Did you keep the standard length studs Jay?.

I used ARP Civic ones cut down to length, I was concerned that with spacers the standard studs would be too short, the job turned into a bit of pita, ended up replacing both the front bearings, and drive flanges.

Jay-ZS+
22-08-10, 08:40 PM
Did you keep the standard length studs Jay?.

I used ARP Civic ones cut down to length, I was concerned that with spacers the standard studs would be too short, the job turned into a bit of pita, ended up replacing both the front bearings, and drive flanges.

Didnt need the spacers in the end had loads of clearance in the end. Used 3 shims between the disc and hub but the pro race alloys had loads of room for the calipers :)

What alloys are you using?

petet16
22-08-10, 09:55 PM
mk2 11 spokes for me, probably one of the wheels with the least clearance:smile1:

Jay-ZS+
22-09-10, 03:05 PM
Bit of an update:

Well its back on the road again :D After the release bearing failed, George offered to replace it but considering how far away he is and that the bearing was only ?30 though there was no real point.

With the help of Dave got the gearbox off and replaced the release bearing, which was no longer recognisable!! Between us managed to get the box off on my drive in the dark within an hour which I was amazed at!! The clutch itself looked good, there were a few burn marks on the new fly but didnt look too bad (pic makes it look worse) and now its back together runs perfectly again.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/Progress%20pics/clutchfailure.jpg

I few weeks before had picked up some steelcaged bearing off ebay for ?15!!! Steal!
So whilst the box was off decided to fit a brand new torsen type B and the bearings. I looked at rebuilding the box but after looking into it decided as Dave offered it was prob best I let him do it otherwise I may have ended up with 4 reverse gears or something similar :wacko:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/Progress%20pics/Diff.jpg

Got it all back together and went to fire it up only to find the starter had now gone! So go a starter off Ross only to find a bloke round the corner from me had one so gonna have two now! :slap: Always handy to have spares I guess :)

Cant wait to get all the bodywork of my mates bike the im spraying up out the car so I can give it a real drive!

Also had it MOT'd today as that had run out whilst it was off the road and it sailed through that :) just need to look at a very slight blow on the exhaust by the flange for the manifolds. If I hadnt just paid out for the diff i'd be using it as an excuse to have the janspeed ones off Ross!!

Anyway going to run it for a while and then give it a good service with new plugs, oil and put new gearbox oil in,waxoyll the whole of the underneath and tidy up the induction setup. Then afraid its not having anymore spent on it for a while as im almost broke! One day it will get manifolds but cant justify them right now.

Tell you what though if it wasnt for the help of various members on this forum it would be being broken for spares as id almost had enough. Although now Im convienced im gonna have a great car thats going to reliable :mml:

Least no more busses to uni, cant stand public transport!! :laugh:

peterzs
22-09-10, 03:45 PM
Worth all the hard graft and bloody knuckles then Jay, glad its up and running and MOT'd to boot!!!!

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

stamford
22-09-10, 03:49 PM
You have certainly enjoyed a labour of love with that one! Glad it's on its way. Those diff bearings, are they okay to fit with no seals?

Maxfly
22-09-10, 06:58 PM
Nice one Jay, a run o bad luck with her but could well be down to the time she sat idle? :) Good work though, now enjoy driving ze Zed:D

Ritchy
22-09-10, 08:08 PM
least its all running now:D

Marky Mark
23-09-10, 11:50 AM
Looking good now James, enjoy the fun with the new diff, your gonna love it, take her down some country lanes and wind her up and let the fun begin. :punk:

p_b82
23-09-10, 01:41 PM
Congrats mate, glad you got it all working again now!.

will keep my fingers crossed that you dont have any more surprises with it!

Dave MGT
23-09-10, 05:55 PM
Those diff bearings, are they okay to fit with no seals?

The bearings dont have the seals fitted to them, their seperate.

Jay will put a few pics up i quickly took the other night rebuilding the box in a bit.

Jay-ZS+
23-09-10, 10:16 PM
Cheers for your help Dave. You should hear the blow on the exhaust now!! Going back to Salisbury to spray up this bike tomorrow so gonna sort it then as it's driving me nuts. Espically with my broken headunit.

Jay-ZS+
21-09-11, 06:40 PM
Not much of an update as all has been well on the car, passed another MOT today as well as the bike so sadly now is up for sale :(

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?p=223396#post223396