PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Info for Insurance Req'd

stamford
06-07-10, 11:10 AM
Due to Admiral being total cocks I have had to re-arrange all the insurance policy's for our cars. I was not impressed and somewhat stressed by the whole episode, but that's another story.

I have now managed to get the MGF insured with Churchill, the Discovery TD5 with LV, both cheaper than the 'multi-car' policy offered by Admiral. This leaves the ZS. I have juggled the various ncb around leaving me with the best spread and best prices.

Now Greenlight have come back the cheapest so far at ?337 fully comp with all mods declared with like for like cover. (this is with 5 yrs ncb, the Discovery got the full 13 yrs ncb as this is more valuable)

One note on the list asks for:
Subject to the vehicle being fitted with an active Thatcham level 1 or 2 security device (photocopy of a fully completed installation certificate showing VSIB accreditation may be required)

Question is, is the mk1 classified as level 1 or not recognised? If so I have nothing to prove this as they are no longer in business! Anyone got anything to add or comment on?

Cheers.

carmadbaker
06-07-10, 11:24 AM
dont think standard fit alarms are thatcham approved to be honest mate, cars like the Focus RS has 2 alarms (and yes 2 key fobs!) to arm and disarm the standard system and the "cat 1" clifford system, and thats standard fit. your going to have to tell them its a manufacturers fitted alarm and immobiliser. doubt it will make much difference tbh!

stamford
06-07-10, 11:36 AM
Cheers Dan.

Does anyone know if the mk1 system has a recognised standard or is it just a generic system employed by MGRover?

stamford
06-07-10, 11:47 AM
Just found this: http://thatchamsecurity.co.uk/car_alarms/category_1/original_equipment/rover.htm

and this: http://www.thatcham.org/resources/pdfs/compliance.pdf

So my mk1 has a level 1 system as standard, you learn something new everyday!

StragglaSteve
06-07-10, 12:20 PM
Nice bit of info there fella!

will check my insurance policy and see if i can update it ;)

Jay-ZS+
06-07-10, 12:36 PM
I had that issue with greenlight, rang them after having received a number of letters Saying I ha to prove the level of security. Anyway long story short rang them up and explained it was a standard alarm and immobiliser and they found it on their system! :slap:

stamford
06-07-10, 01:42 PM
Looks like they have updated their database as they said it has a Thatcham level 1 as standard.

Bobdope2002
06-07-10, 03:21 PM
Off topic a little

didnt kno of these guys until now and have just done an online qoute ?50pcm compared to Direct lines ?76pcm

need to get the deposit together then Direct Line can go swivel unless they can match it which i doubt very much

cheers Stamford :D

stamford
06-07-10, 03:36 PM
Big savings Tim, still high so I guess you have a few things counting against you then ;)

Bobdope2002
06-07-10, 03:49 PM
Big savings Tim, still high so I guess you have a few things counting against you then ;)

no mate clean licence

ive declared the mods and im only 24 so that dont help

stamford
06-07-10, 03:53 PM
How much deposit did they ask for? Mine per month was ?27 with a chunky deposit.

Bobdope2002
06-07-10, 04:10 PM
How much deposit did they ask for? Mine per month was ?27 with a chunky deposit.

its usually 2 months upfront so be ?100 id assume

wait till next payday then im gonna get it sorted