PDA

View Full Version : Any intrest in VIS indicator kits?

Jay-ZS+
17-07-10, 01:05 PM
Testing the water here a little, im considering making a batch of VIS indicator kits and wondered if anyone would be intrested in them.

Im pricing up components at the moment but looking to be around the ?30 mark. Hardest bits to source seem to be the dash blanks!! :huh:

Also if people have any requests for the colours of the LEDs let me know.

Note this isnt a for sale thread just to gauge rough numbers.

jockfraz
17-07-10, 01:30 PM
forgive me for being quite new to this but what is a VIS indicator kit?

Jay-ZS+
17-07-10, 01:36 PM
It will only apply to those with the V6, as it gets wired into the loom that connects to the VIS motors on the plenum/inlet manifold.

Basically the VIS motors open at different points in the rev range allowing more air into the engine giving the full power of the engine.

The VIS indicator consists of 4 leds, 2 for each VIS motor that will be fitted to the blank on the dash just to the right/left of the steering wheel. As the actuator in the motors open it feeds a signal back changing the LEDs that light up.

In basic terms it allows you to know when the motors are open and you will be able to tell if they are faulty. As its often a cause of a low powered 180.

Will come with full fitting instructions for a plug and play fit.

jockfraz
17-07-10, 03:12 PM
cool cheers for that but now u have explained it i coludnt use it so no lol.

Steves Cleenz
17-07-10, 03:35 PM
possible me

roverdave81
17-07-10, 03:36 PM
im in would want to see pic of one made up and wiring diagram for it but count me in

andys1981
17-07-10, 04:09 PM
am interested anaw jay

drroberts490
17-07-10, 05:47 PM
i'd be interested

daytona365
17-07-10, 08:29 PM
Im up for it...................Maybe a xmas pressie lol...........from me to me!

R1CSO
17-07-10, 09:20 PM
I'd be interested

Smokey
17-07-10, 09:31 PM
I'd buy one for definate, blue and red LED's...

Gavspav
18-07-10, 07:00 AM
I'll have one if you'll post it to Germany....

Mind you, the instructions would have to be simple enough for people without engineering qualifications please :smart:

stamford
18-07-10, 09:35 AM
Very useful addition to the dash, it's informed me recently that I had a balance issue, found the motor had packed up.

tcr
18-07-10, 11:07 AM
count me in ........ blue/red

wullie-zs180
18-07-10, 11:28 AM
count me in if a dumb f**k can fit it lol:book::hmmm:

carmadbaker
18-07-10, 02:04 PM
Count me in :-) blue n red ftw ;-)

Jay-ZS+
18-07-10, 02:58 PM
So it's looking like a batch of 10 or 15 will depend on how many blanking plates I can source.

Steves Cleenz
18-07-10, 03:15 PM
why dont you get people send there ones to you Jay?

Jay-ZS+
18-07-10, 03:17 PM
why dont you get people send there ones to you Jay?

That's an idea might do it on a return system so I will make some up, send them out then people return their blanks once fitted.

Smokey
18-07-10, 06:47 PM
I dont have a blank lol, so might need to source me one :D

roverdave81
18-07-10, 06:54 PM
how soon can i get one money is waiting

Jay-ZS+
18-07-10, 06:56 PM
I dont have a blank lol, so might need to source me one :D

Lol I'm sure I can sort that out mate :)

Jay-ZS+
18-07-10, 06:58 PM
how soon can i get one money is waiting

Not bought any components yet, will be a couple of weeks I'd have thought tbh.

Steves Cleenz
18-07-10, 08:34 PM
Jay, just thought when you make them could i have mine in the blank next to the mirror adjustment as i have my blue tooth screen is in the normal blank

Jay-ZS+
18-07-10, 08:56 PM
Will see what I can do steve :)

KevG
18-07-10, 09:31 PM
Jay, you will be very lucky IF you can make these a plug'n'play item the connectors for the VIS motors are no longer made, so therefore the kit will need to hard wired into the engine loom, not as easy as you may think to the novice!

Jay-ZS+
18-07-10, 10:05 PM
What to splice into the loom? Sure most can manage that!!

KevG
18-07-10, 10:32 PM
What to splice into the loom? Sure most can manage that!!

You think!, Most DIYers will bottle out of "touching engine electrics", even if you supply detailed instructions, trust me.

wullie-zs180
19-07-10, 08:41 AM
al give it ago lol:book::yikes::slap:

if its a case of just drilling holes for the leds can i have mine without a blanking plate?

carmadbaker
19-07-10, 08:48 AM
I got to pop down the breakers Wednesday mate I'll "acquire" as many blanking plates as will fit in my pocket :-)

Leigh_EvoIX
19-07-10, 08:52 AM
Jay, you will be very lucky IF you can make these a plug'n'play item the connectors for the VIS motors are no longer made, so therefore the kit will need to hard wired into the engine loom, not as easy as you may think to the novice!

I have to agree. I was thinking about making one as that seems quite easy, when I read the details of how to install I was a bit put off

roverdave81
19-07-10, 09:14 AM
people dont be put off by havin to tap into the engine loom it isnt that hard really when i had a 620 gsdi i fit a roverron tuning box which had to be tapped into the loom and as long as it comes with a colour diagram on how to fit most us could do it as wouldnt be any hard than fiting a new cd player / speaker all round

ps ill take the 1st off you and fit it just to prove any1 can do it ppl are worried

Jay-ZS+
20-07-10, 06:43 PM
The Blue and red LEDs seem to be favoured thought id make the lot using them unless others have any requests.

Going to start ordering parts in end of this week.

andys1981
20-07-10, 06:44 PM
aye red and blue sounds the biz jay

KevG
20-07-10, 06:46 PM
Jay, remember to get black potting compound (Epoxy resin)

Jay-ZS+
20-07-10, 06:57 PM
Jay, remember to get black potting compound (Epoxy resin)

Yer got that already, went home at the weekend my old man had some! Its just the blanking plates, think I will go to local parts dept see if I can get some off them. As Id like to make them all in one go.

Jay-ZS+
26-07-10, 03:36 PM
Right bit of an update guys, I have most of the components, just waiting for the LED holders and some waterproof connectors for in the engine bay. Should have the superseal connectors this week but accidently ordered the LED holders from hong kong so they take a little longer.

As soon as I have the holders I will have 5 units ready and one for steve. Im still looking for blanking plates if anyone is going to a scrap yard any time soon :)

Otherwise I will provide a stamped addressed jiffy bag for people to send me their old ones so that I can make more.

Heres a quick video of the first one made, The blue LEDs are nice and bright so you will know when the motors are open!!:cool1::cool1:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/th_005.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/?action=view&current=005.mp4)
Appoligies for the quality of video its not the easiest thing to film! Will try to get a better one in the dark.

Jay-ZS+
26-07-10, 10:53 PM
After some night testing I feel the blue lights are too bright, they work well in the day but at light they light up the cabin! So unless thats what people want think I will order some more. Heres a bit of testing on my way home from work.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/th_008.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/?action=view&current=008.mp4)

roverdave81
27-07-10, 11:10 AM
see what you mean just a bit bright ps dont really know how the vis motors work so can you just explain why both blue light come on then it gose to 1 then back to red cheers dave ps can we had pick om how to fit this kit cheers

Jay-ZS+
27-07-10, 11:39 AM
see what you mean just a bit bright ps dont really know how the vis motors work so can you just explain why both blue light come on then it gose to 1 then back to red cheers dave ps can we had pick om how to fit this kit cheers

Well in truth the blue LEDs are ones I had left over from when I did my dash in blue, have some 5000mcd blue LEDs that hopefully wont be as bright on their way.

Each pair of LEDs (one red one blue) represents a VIS motor .When you plant your foot below 3K, both red should change to blue. At around 3K, one will change back again, then the other at around 4K. If you come off the gas they will both change back to red.

The blue LEDs basically show that the motors are open. If either doesnt change or both blue and red LEDs are on then it shows there is a fault with the responding motor. :)

Didnt quite understand the last bit: can we had pick om how to fit this kit cheers

Jay-ZS+
27-07-10, 11:42 AM
I now have the superseal connectors so today is being spent crimping :yawn:

Smokey
27-07-10, 12:18 PM
Looking like good progress Jay, think that blue is too bright though so maybe the new ones will be duller.

If not then we could go for green I guess!

Jay-ZS+
27-07-10, 12:26 PM
Looking like good progress Jay, think that blue is too bright though so maybe the new ones will be duller.

If not then we could go for green I guess!

Yer they work well in daylight but t night are too bright and could be distracting, will try out the others when they arrive if not green would be a good option.

midcuk
27-07-10, 01:44 PM
count me in for a set when you are making mate

Jay-ZS+
27-07-10, 02:27 PM
count me in for a set when you are making mate

Once I have them ready for dispatch I will put a thread up for people to get hold of them :)

andys1981
27-07-10, 02:59 PM
count me in aswell jay,i will go to the scrappys at the weekend hopefully,and get blanking plates for you

Jay-ZS+
27-07-10, 03:02 PM
count me in aswell jay,i will go to the scrappys at the weekend hopefully,and get blanking plates for you

Yer that would be handy let me know and I will buy them off you. As ideally would like to be able to make the lot in one batch. Once everything is jigged up makes the process much quicker!

roverdave81
27-07-10, 09:06 PM
ill have a set to can you make mine the right hand side blank also will the kit come with a wiring diagram and pic's on how to fit it and will you post this on the forum cheers dave

Jay-ZS+
27-07-10, 09:34 PM
The right and left blank are the same, full fitting instructions will be provided, just need to type the up. :)

roverdave81
27-07-10, 09:46 PM
hi mate once you have one made up let me know as ill have it and sent you back my blank ps how much for the kit posted cheer dave

Jay-ZS+
27-07-10, 09:51 PM
As soon as they are ready will let all know. They will be ?30 to your door.

Jay-ZS+
01-08-10, 03:31 PM
Right I now have recieved the LED holders, they were crap and poor quality so rejected them and have recieved some others that look so much better. Have also recieved some duller LEDs that are diffused so will try them out and if they are whats needed I will have 7 ready this week.

haGGard
01-08-10, 06:15 PM
I may interested in a set as long as the wiring is easy DIY. Although in my mk1 i have the front and rear fog lights switch so where would they mount? As thats the blank your using isn't it?

Jay-ZS+
01-08-10, 06:17 PM
I may interested in a set as long as the wiring is easy DIY.

Will require splicing into the loom and joining 5 wires to the loom for the Vis motors full fitting guide will be provided :)

midcuk
02-08-10, 12:20 PM
Once I have them ready for dispatch I will put a thread up for people to get hold of them :)

cheers mate PM me as well incase i am not on the forum

Jay-ZS+
02-08-10, 08:48 PM
Well I have one made up and would like a second opinion on the blue LEDs, as to wether they are still too bright at night.

So if someone would fancy buying the first unit and testing it, If they feel its too bright they can send it back and I will make them one with green instead, as it seems blue are brighter than other colours. Personally I quite like it but others may find it too bright :)

Jay-ZS+
02-08-10, 10:28 PM
Now taken will await it's review before the others are made up.

Jay-ZS+
09-08-10, 05:11 PM
I will have 10 of these done by the end of the week, theres a thread for people to put their names down :)

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?p=165021#post165021

Jay-ZS+
13-08-10, 12:11 PM
Sorry for the delay on these have been in bed unwell the last few days.
Although I will be ready to post by saturday if not monday :D

Those with their names down will be recieving a pm soon with payment details :)

Edit: whoops wrong thread

steph30
13-10-10, 08:08 AM
Hello

Soory for my weak knowledge but what is a VIS indicator?
Could it be fitted to diesel Zs?

Cheers from France

Steph

Jay-ZS+
13-10-10, 08:48 AM
No only good for the 180s I'm afraid