PDA

View Full Version : theMGZS Track Car plan

Smokey
16-08-10, 09:14 PM
Ok so as I have confirmed, I will be collecting Andy's car next month which means that I will be preparing it for the track.

BuckyDevil is making a bulk payment by the time I pick up the car which will allow him to get 5 sessions.

If this payment goes ahead it means that I can use it to get the car trackworthy quicker than planned as it needs 2 new tyres on the rear.

So, the first trackday provisionally will be Sunday 10th October 2010

I have calculated it to be of reasonable cost for all involved.

I will be the main driver therefore I will be paying ?56 to go on track

All additional drivers cost ?31 per head

So I will be charging all drivers ?60 plus the are to bring a canister of petrol with them. That is all I expect them to pay.

This payment will cover:

-As many runs on the track as the day and numbers allow
-Petrol
-Tyre/Brake wear
-damage/parts replacement

I personally think this is very reasonable but opinions welcome. (I will be filling the tank before arriving so if you work it out I think its a fair price)

Realistically 3-4 people per trackday as there are usually 6 sessions, so I will be looking for interested parties to PM me confirmation they would like to attend this particular event.

Obviously all non drivers are more than welcome to join us and watch, and have asked Knockhill about any costs for non drivers being a passenger so will await the reply.

I am hoping this will be a great event and make the site even better!

There will also be plans to travel down south to other trackdays to allow other non Scottish site members to join in the fun!

Discuss.

Huffy
16-08-10, 11:12 PM
Thats an excelent plan! will word up the wife about it! lol

andys1981
17-08-10, 12:44 AM
i expect at least 2nd 3rd drive for nout as your getting a great deal!

Maxfly
17-08-10, 07:29 AM
top notch work there fella!! This is an excellent piece of work:)

stamford
17-08-10, 07:34 AM
Good work all. Suggest you don't fill the tank up, you may get overspill due to cornering and if too little you'll get fuel starvation. I would strongly recommend a swirl pot so as to run with just enough fuel to keep the weight down.

Smokey
17-08-10, 07:40 AM
I will most certainly take any advice from those who regularily do track days. How much petrol gets used in a 180 for the full day, moneywise?

Dan1971
17-08-10, 09:21 AM
Length of the lap - times - how many laps you are going to do in the session - divided - by about 15 (mpg).

stamford
17-08-10, 09:24 AM
It's been some time since I did a full day, the price then was sub ?1 per litre, today's prices put me off!

You got a list of mods you want to do or thinking of?

Smokey
17-08-10, 09:36 AM
Well it's got exhaust and induction, however that will need rerouted to the inner wing. Not looking to spend a fortune modifying it as it then becomes a worry when I or others are racing it. I have bought a vis indicator kit and I believe andy is throwing in the catch tank. Sheddist clutch kit may be a possibility.

Probably strip it out and put in bucket seats and harness at some point too.

Tony10
17-08-10, 09:54 AM
This is a great Idea! I would definatly be up for this! How big a petrol can are you looking for 5 or 20lts?

great price and sounds like it will be a success!

Smokey
17-08-10, 11:02 AM
I was just thinking the wee jerry can (5l?)

Obviously there will be more demand than can be done in one day and if this is the case its still a great excuse to all meet up and see the car go round and we can mix things up the following meet etc.

Stephen
17-08-10, 11:18 AM
Brilliant idea!

Well done!!:thumbsup:

stamford
17-08-10, 12:40 PM
Well it's got exhaust and induction, however that will need rerouted to the inner wing. Not looking to spend a fortune modifying it as it then becomes a worry when I or others are racing it. I have bought a vis indicator kit and I believe andy is throwing in the catch tank. Sheddist clutch kit may be a possibility.

Probably strip it out and put in bucket seats and harness at some point too.

Yea, keep it simple. That's what I am doing to mine. Uprate the pads for something that lasts longer and no fade, change the fluid for DOT 5.1 iirc. If stripping out remember the car will sit slightly higher due to less weight. Rear lower strut brace will help to tighten it up as would polybushing the anti-roll bars. Bonnet pins I would recommend as that is the last thing you want to see on track! As said buckets and harnesses will add to the driving pleasure as you will stay seated at all times! Another set of wheels and tyres would be a good idea as a few of you hammering around the track will no doubt end up with no rubber!

Smokey
17-08-10, 03:05 PM
That's right 'keep it simple' lol! Well all of that won't be done straight away, the less wear and tear everyone causes on the car, the less expense involved then the mods listed can be done!

Hopefully everyone can be sensible so that we end up with an excellent track car.

KevG
17-08-10, 03:15 PM
No matter how careful you will be on the track, things will still break, the car will be highly stressed, and probably will break something first time out on the track.

Smokey
17-08-10, 03:47 PM
Ah but I will have your holiness at hand to diagnose/fix things! Remember your toolbox lol

grimmy
17-08-10, 03:58 PM
I will bring my spare box of swear words and various hammers but hopefully we won't need them.

peterzs
17-08-10, 04:05 PM
Would it be worth getting old tyres back, if they still have some tread and using them on the track car. Or would they have to have plenty of tread?? I never know as slick tyres are ok in the dry and are they just baldish ordinary tyres???

Also if anyone upgrades brakes etc could donate the o/e stuff its any good.

How far south you coming, or shall I offer ?50 for a few laps in Micks????

Does sound a great idea.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::hooray::hooray::hooray::D:D

Smokey
17-08-10, 04:09 PM
Would love to say I've done all the btcc tracks but we'll see how the car fares first. Donations are more than welcome for sure, spare anything will be handy. Am sure someone will answer the tyre question.

peterzs
17-08-10, 04:13 PM
Always seems a shame to leave behind tyres with a bit of life left in them, when you get new ones put on.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Smokey
17-08-10, 05:38 PM
I agree, noone like waste!

BUCKYDEVIL
17-08-10, 05:50 PM
Also if anyone upgrades brakes etc could donate the o/e stuff its any good.

Good Idea .

:thumbsup:

stamford
17-08-10, 07:05 PM
Never use new tyres on track as normal road spec tyres de-laminate when pushed too hard. I have had a few go 'off' after a couple of testing laps at Goodwood when we were running the Hertz Audi GT, always use scrubbed or well worn road tyres on dry days. Obviously we all can't afford the track tyres as they are getting somewhat pricey.

Another minus for us 180 owners is a lack of race spec half worn tyres that are often cast off by teams. I used to obtain a fair few Dunlop cut slicks but were only good for 10" x13" rims, which I used to run on the Chevette.

Smokey
17-08-10, 07:08 PM
By well worn what sort of mm tread are we talking?

Was gonna put mew tyres on the rear but would like expert advice on that

andys1981
17-08-10, 10:25 PM
al speak to ma mate who works in skids in falkirk for tyre donations lol

Smokey
17-08-10, 11:09 PM
Sweet Andy, that could be useful

Maxfly
18-08-10, 09:58 AM
I have a spare clutch master slave an bracket sittin in shed:) also spare standard springs if needed and sure there might be other things of use:)

grimmy
18-08-10, 10:14 AM
I have a spare clutch master slave an bracket sittin in shed:) also spare standard springs if needed and sure there might be other things of use:)
Been meaning to ask you about that clutch stuff Gary. mines is getting more and more noisy i also have a set of oe springs and a mk2 backbox which can be donated to the parts bin if required

Maxfly
18-08-10, 10:19 AM
Been meaning to ask you about that clutch stuff Gary. mines is getting more and more noisy i also have a set of oe springs and a mk2 backbox which can be donated to the parts bin if required

nae bother Grimmy, if your needing it it's yours bud:)

Smokey
18-08-10, 10:25 AM
Wow, I can see my shed being full of ZS parts! Cheers for the offer guys, will be happy to take anything that will come in handy. Am glad there are plenty of folk with tools lol, something I lack!

grimmy
18-08-10, 10:29 AM
your shed will be fine we can keep all our own parts until they are needed i guess to save your shed from bulging sides

Smokey
18-08-10, 10:36 AM
that sounds a good idea lol, although I have a big concrete shed so plenty room!

Smokey
24-09-10, 04:36 PM
Ok figured I should ressurect this thread To get more eyes on the look out!

Bearing in mind adverts at ?1200 or so could be haggled down lol.

Cash is waiting just needing a suitable car!