PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tinted their own windows?

Andyf
26-08-10, 05:14 PM
I recently decided to do my windows and started with the rear which I heat shrank and it went pretty well. I then did the quarterlights with no problems so moved on to the rear passenger windows which having done my wifes car thought would be easy. However I cant get it do work, I always end up with massive 'fingers' that O cant get rid of.

Does anyone have any idea why it is so hard?

Ritchy
26-08-10, 05:39 PM
no idea mate, i always leave vinyl to the proffesonals as i end up losing it and scruncing it up and throw it in the bin lol

Andyf
26-08-10, 05:48 PM
I am begining to wish I had! I had to do a join on the rear screen as I didnt have enough so had to order more film (I was too impatient to wait and do it in one bit) and the manufacturer had changed the film and I didnt notice til it was too late. it looks ok from outside but is obvious from the onside!

I managed my wifes Rav4 with no problems so am surprised the Zed is so hard

Ritchy
26-08-10, 06:06 PM
i think its sometimes a false economy trying to d it yourself sometimes( i respect you for doing it though) by the time you buy the film make a mess of it a couple of times and all the time i think its like ?125 from advanced window tints with a lifetime guarantee and its flawless, is the window clean? maybe try heat the glass slightly before putting it on?

Andyf
26-08-10, 07:01 PM
So far to do the Rav and half my car has cost under ?30 so ots not too bad. I think it is either as the window curves in two directions, although I tried heating the film to shrink it with no luck. Or it may be catching on something in the door frame that prevents it lying flat. I cant get the wondow winder off to remove the doot card though.

I may get a quote to have them done professionally using the film I have.

Ritchy
26-08-10, 07:05 PM
can buy a tool to take the horseshoe clips saves a lot of fidling:) ebay winder tool. failing that bit of patience and a screwdriver, that doesnt sound to bad then for ?30! at least your learning as you go as well:)