PDA

View Full Version : What a trip!

Jay-ZS+
27-08-10, 07:13 PM
Come down to vist my parents for the weekend, and what a journey it was. Cleaning out the idle control has done nothing for the fast idle if anything it's worse!

Then I heard a high pitch noise like a whiring, electrical sounding. Felt the car felt sluggish and sure enough according to the VIS indicators my balance motor has gone.

Finally as I got to Salisbury the car was juddering as I pulled away and the clutch didn't feel right. As if the clutch wasnt engaging. Think the hydraulic are minutes from goin. Argh!!!!

Craig
27-08-10, 07:25 PM
****, thats not good at all mate

peterzs
27-08-10, 07:31 PM
I think its just trying to help with your engineering course, what next can we throw at him!!!!!

:smile1::smile1::smile1::smile1:

Jay-ZS+
27-08-10, 07:33 PM
Yer tell me about it. I have a spare balance valve at home but may investigate, as would good to get it working for the journey home.

Im more worried about the clutch though!!! Really dont want it to fail half way home!

Jay-ZS+
27-08-10, 07:34 PM
I think its just trying to help with your engineering course, what next can we through at him!!!!!

:smile1::smile1::smile1::smile1:

:laugh: well Im gonna throw something back at it soon!!!

Craig
27-08-10, 07:34 PM
Might be worth taking the slave off the bracket and checking it. It was the bent bracket that caused my slave to die

Jay-ZS+
27-08-10, 07:41 PM
Didn't you post a guide to fitting sheddist kit may help me out. I did save it on my computer but don't have that with me.

Luckly I put all my tools and axle stands in the boot before leaving, it's as if I knew it would play up! :laugh:

Ritchy
27-08-10, 10:11 PM
thats a gutter mate, least youll be more skilled by the end of it though eh, thats what i think to myself if i get a horrible job at work

Jay-ZS+
27-08-10, 11:32 PM
thats a gutter mate, least youll be more skilled by the end of it though eh, thats what i think to myself if i get a horrible job at work

I'd rather have a reliable car tbh!

Ritchy
27-08-10, 11:33 PM
it will be soon,

petet16
28-08-10, 06:22 AM
Try spraying some wd40 or something similar where the clutch lever goes through the bell housing, it may save it from total failure in the short term.

I used a graphite spray on mine, and it made a noticeable improvement.

Jay-ZS+
28-08-10, 07:09 AM
Cheers gonna have a look at it in a bit. Have emailed sheddist, weird thing is I emailed earlier in the day asking for a clutch+plenum fix. Think my car must have know!! Anyway contacted him again to say it's about to go.

Gonna upgrade my AA cover before heading back! Lol

stamford
28-08-10, 08:43 AM
Will be a good car once sorted :laugh: The joys of ZS ownership in one fell swoop! Once you have done these jobs it'll be faultless, mine went through a stage of a few bits going awol but is now running sweet.

Jay-ZS+
28-08-10, 09:08 AM
Is it normal for there to be lots of movement between the slave and bracket? It doesn't seem to be a good fit at all?!

peterzs
28-08-10, 09:46 AM
Sounds like youve found some of your problem.

:-D:-D

Jay-ZS+
28-08-10, 11:19 AM
Well strapped it up with cable ties and fixed a spring on the throttle body, put it all back together.

Still getting lots of juddering when in 1st/2nd when on the clutch, getting a smell of burning clutch too. Had a new clutch when the engine was put in so id suspect the hydraulics!!

peterzs
28-08-10, 01:44 PM
Sounds like a heavy right foot syndrome to me.

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Jay-ZS+
28-08-10, 09:25 PM
A mate has suggested it could be oil contamination due to a seal, it was low on oil although the catch tank had a fair amount it and not emptied it that long ago, know thats working anyway :)

Ritchy
28-08-10, 09:41 PM
which seal crank? well box out job so id think about 5 hours at a guess? maybe more never done a zs g.box as of yet to tell you tbh but no subframe to drop so cant be that big a job, best ask george

Jay-ZS+
28-08-10, 09:59 PM
Yer crank seal, Im not convinced though.

Ritchy
28-08-10, 10:06 PM
well usually a crank seal would leak down the back of a flywheel, if the kv6 is the same as k4 though you need to locktight the flywheel bolts as the k4 has an opencrank basically, but youd see it leaking out the bottom of the gearbox if it was leaking,
hope you sort it soon, sort the hydraulics out before condeming seals ect, i wouldnt remove a gearbox for a crank seal unless it was actually leaking out the bottom

Jay-ZS+
31-08-10, 09:43 AM
I topped it up with oil and it seems to be holding it so prehaps its not oil contamination. It got me home, just about, took the motorway so that I could stick it in 5th and just cruise and was fine. Until we got back to Bristol that is, where it was juddering and squeeling.

Anyway I had to pick a parcel up from the post office so nipped down there this morning which is only a mile away. Got there alright was playing up when parking. On my way back though got out the carpark and got loads of squeeling and smoke from under the bonnet. So called the AA who have just dropped me home, guy seemed to think it was the release bearing, although cant see how that would fail on a 2 month old clutch?! The guy did ask, "is that the honda engine" so knows his knowledge of MG and the KV6. :slap:

The car is currently sat on my drive feeling sorry for itself. :(

peterzs
31-08-10, 09:49 AM
Dont you get a warranty on the new clutch????

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Jay-ZS+
31-08-10, 09:55 AM
Dont you get a warranty on the new clutch????

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Well need to find out what the problem is for sure, as Im not sure and the AA guy was convienced it was a honda engine. :laugh:

Its the smoke im alittle concerned about :unsure:

grimmy
31-08-10, 10:04 AM
Don't want to be the harbinger of doom but that is exactly what happened when the release bearing went on my clutch Jay down to the smoke,juddering and smell weird that it has went after two months though

Marky Mark
31-08-10, 10:26 AM
If it is the release bearing that has gone, if the clutch is still under warranty I would take it back where it was fitted if you can still get the car there?

Jay-ZS+
31-08-10, 03:09 PM
Just spoken to George and he is going to sort something out :thumbsup:

Reading other threads seems Im not alone with failed release bearings soon after a new clutch, maybe its a poor design by MGR? :unsure:
Anyway sure the car will soon be a delight to drive again :D

The AA guy did comment on how nice it was and that he hadnt seen many of them around.

Still going to try and get hold of a Sheddist kit to replace those chocolate hydraulics

p_b82
31-08-10, 08:36 PM
Glad that things are covered and you can get the car sorted, it was the release bearing that went on mine i think that killed my first OE clutch after only 40K on the clock.

I am (hopefully) picking up the car tomorrow on my way back down the country from a client visit up in sunny Hull this week... can't wait as it has been ages it seems :laugh:!

Jay-ZS+
31-08-10, 08:40 PM
I am (hopefully) picking up the car tomorrow on my way back down the country from a client visit up in sunny Hull this week... can't wait as it has been ages it seems :laugh:!

One day we will have both our cars on the road at the same time, must be a bristol thing. :laugh:

Ritchy
31-08-10, 09:50 PM
glad george is sorting it out for you it will most likely be a failed part of somekind:) wont be long now and all will be good and proper