PDA

View Full Version : Where is the power VIS located.

haGGard
13-09-10, 11:02 AM
Hi,

Tried a search but didn't get much. My recently fitted VIS indicator has is telling me that i have issues with my power VIS motor. I would like to take a look at it, but to be honest i dont know where its located. All i know is its the easier one to get to, and its near the top/front/ rather than at the back?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Jay-ZS+
13-09-10, 11:50 AM
They are located by the plenum, they motors are screwed down with 4 screws. The power on is the easy one to remove. Its the one in front that faces up, the balance is the one behind that faces the brake fluid reservoir.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/Forum%20stuff/power-balance.jpg

When plugging back in connect to the loom first and turn the ign to the 1st postion, this will reset the motor and allow you to line the cam up with the arm in the plenum. It will all make more sense once its removed. :)

haGGard
13-09-10, 12:56 PM
Ok doke cheers for that, that picture is exactly what i need. Is there any need to disconnect the battery?

Jay-ZS+
13-09-10, 12:57 PM
No just unplug the motor and then you can remove :)

haGGard
13-09-10, 01:19 PM
I've got the power motor off. How do i split it open? Theres lots of tiny clips holding it together around the edge, but even when i undo them it doesnt wan't to split apart really

Jay-ZS+
13-09-10, 01:53 PM
There is a glue/sealant around the edge, Also the glue that holds the pins for the plug is can be hard to seperate, Try getting a piece of wood to push the pins out and prise it apart.

Jay-ZS+
13-09-10, 02:01 PM
Ive got a spare one that I can do a how to with if wanted,

Nor
13-09-10, 02:01 PM
Use a thin blade/screwdriver to prise up one of the corners, then work it around. I tend to leave a credit card (not one you need :)) in one end, and then work on the other end. Once you prise it out, the pins will hold it in place. Need to be a bit careful as the PCB bends if you go mad with it pulling it from one side. Like Jay says, it's a good idea to get a piece of wood or something to push the pins down while pulling the casing up. You don't always need to though, sometimes it comes out relatively easily.

haGGard
13-09-10, 02:02 PM
It would help i guess, im just about to go back out and have another go.

Jay-ZS+
13-09-10, 02:28 PM
Ive just popped mine apart using a lighter to push the connectors out.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/MK2%20ZS/VIS%20Build/008.jpg

As Nor said I used a small flat screwdriver and worked my way around the edge.

haGGard
13-09-10, 02:29 PM
EDIT: I posted this before seeing your post, i'll give it another go tomorow maybe when it stops raining.

Had another go but didn't want to force it too hard so its back in the car now.

Sometimes when i turn the ignition on the green power LED on my Vis indicator will quickly illuminate, then it will go back to the two red LED's like normal. And i still get that 'kick' at 3k RPM.

haGGard
14-09-10, 07:37 AM
Well to update on this thread. I did not test the car after i refitted the power actuator yesterday (as i saw no point as i hadn't actually done anything) However, while driving it to my garage this morning to get the reluctor rings done the VIS indicator was showing the power motor to be working properly again! All lights illuminating as they should! :D

Is it possible that the cam had somehow popped out of the arm in the plenum all by itself, and i had just put it back in its place?

Jay-ZS+
14-09-10, 07:40 AM
Unless the plenum is about to die and there is lots of excess movement, I cant see the cam coming out of the arm, You said the light flickered? May have been a dodgy connection, or the Vis motor may just be tempermental. Id be tempted to take it out and at least clean any oil out of it.