PDA

View Full Version : Broke down :(

haGGard
17-09-10, 08:30 AM
Is this where the fun of the ownership kicks in? Is this where the car gets its character? :wacko: Just finish a night shift, all i want to do is go home and get in bed and the car dies on me as i come out of the work car park. Engine light comes on. I manage to start it again, get 5 metres and it dies again and wont start at all this time.

I call the AA and he arrives only to get it started first time! Thats a little bit embarrasing lol! Anyway, he agrees to follow me home, and luckily he does as it cuts out again on the dual carriageway.

Apparently his computer diagnostics thing can't plug into the car, wrong connection on it. So he cant read the cars computer but he took a look and he recons its the crank position sensor which is to blame. He said if that fails the car cant tell what position the engine is in stops feeding the engine.

Anyway, he towed me to my garage who were more than suprised to see me, as i had only just been there 2 days ago getting my ABS rings done lol.

You guys recon a crank position sensor is an expensive job? If its even that causing the problem at all? :wacko:

Sry if i appear grouchy but i'm going to curl up in bed now and wake up 7 hours later hopefully feeling better :)

Jay-ZS+
17-09-10, 08:40 AM
Well as its at a garage now they will be able to diagnose it. Often removing and cleaning the crank sensor solves the problem. Personally the AA are only good for jump starting or towing!

Just had a Rimmers catalogue through the door crank sensor is pt no: NSC100760SLP priced at ?81.83 (inc Vat) So may be worth suggesting they try cleaning it first :)

stamford
17-09-10, 09:06 AM
A good clean may do the trick, worst case a new one. So far I have been lucky as the only fault mine has had in +5 years requiring AA assistance was the clutch slave snapping off and a sticky ignition barrel.

Marky Mark
17-09-10, 10:30 AM
I know it will probably come up with the fault code on the diagnostic, but I would also get them to give the cam sensor and the temperature sender a good clean as well. :smile1:

haGGard
17-09-10, 03:59 PM
Well i just left it in thier hands as i said i was going back home to sleep, can you not ring till 5pm. The guy said ok, and confirmed with me that whatever needed doing, should they just do it. And i said yes.

Just got a call from them, they said it was the cam shaft sensor and its ready to collect. I have no idea if they've just cleaned it but i suspect they will have replaced it.

peterzs
17-09-10, 04:56 PM
Best of luck, lets hope it was just a clean.

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

haGGard
17-09-10, 05:05 PM
Well just collected it. They put a new camshaft sensor in, as that is what they diagnosed was wrong with it. However on the drive home, it stalled on me again. Luckily i was in a position to pull to the side and wasn't too far from home. Tried starting it....nothing. Opened the bonnet and wiggled a few things around (where the aa man was looking) and it started again so i limped it home.

Not a happy bunny lol. I'll have to ring the garage again tomorrow morning.

peterzs
17-09-10, 05:28 PM
Bummer, dont mind paying if it sorts it, but to have it do the same thing,***************.

Hope they cure the fault tomorrow.

andys1981
17-09-10, 05:29 PM
thats aint so good mate,have they put a new one in,sounds like they have just cleaned it up,it sounds like there is an underlying problem

haGGard
17-09-10, 05:34 PM
Yea they said they put a new camshaft sensor in and whats what it says on the invoice. I've been using the garage for years and they don't mess me about. Last year they accepted responsibility of my ford puma timing belt snapping and sorted it out of me. Hopefully when i give them a call tomorrow they'll take it back again and sort it out.

Ritchy
17-09-10, 05:36 PM
sounds like a classic computer says sensors broke situation not actually gon n looked at it properly

petet16
17-09-10, 06:08 PM
The crank position sensor would be a major suspect imo.

A mate at work has just had very similar symptoms to yours with his Omega, it would randomly start or not, and stall, each time he called the RAC the poxy thing started and ran perfectly, but in the end it was the crank sensor causing it.

We tried using the scangauge on it but it never showed a fault code.

He also changed the fuel pump relay because he noticed it was getting toasty hot, I don't know if thats normal or not.

Ritchy
17-09-10, 06:16 PM
as pete says a crank would more likely stall the car, the cam is just ther3 for the sequential fuel injection so it would probably just knock the fuelling out so it was firing all cylinders at once rather than each time a valve opened:)

haGGard
18-09-10, 05:58 PM
Well its been diagnosed today as a crank sensor this time. :wall: The part is on order. Don't know when i get it back but i hope its monday.

Jay-ZS+
18-09-10, 06:24 PM
Did you try cleaning it first?

haGGard
18-09-10, 06:26 PM
No. I've not had time to be honest with being on nights. Now i know where they are though i'll make sure to keep them ok in future.

Ravinder_Tomcat220T
01-10-10, 09:51 PM
What engine is it? My mate recently had symptoms of car not starting or just running crap in geneal, loss of power etc. Engine management light kept coming on. Changed the lambda sensor and all is working well again! Get it taken somewhere you trust and have the diagnostics to check what the problem is. Crank sensor normally behaves a bit differently to what you have described your symptoms as being as.

haGGard
01-10-10, 10:22 PM
It was fixed last week. It was the crank sensor after all. They put a new one in but now i know where it is i'll just make sure its clean if it does it again.

Ravinder_Tomcat220T
01-10-10, 10:30 PM
Glad to hear it's sorted then. :)