PDA

View Full Version : need a bit of outside input..

lawrence-zs180
19-09-10, 08:54 AM
I think my missis is gonna kill me when she finds out what I want to do.. but then in the words of mr mercury.. who wants to live forever lol.
My 180 is coming up to 90k and Im just wondering about the idea of maybe getting another lower mileage 180 and swaping the mods over.. so far my current one has in wing induction, cat back ss and a de cat a few cosmetic bits and thats about it, Im just worried about doing anymore incase it strains the engine to much.

The cars had loads of normal work done like a whole new rear braking system and front discs and pads, new inlet mani and the belts at 60k she gets a oil and filter change every 6k and gearbox every 12k (so er only done one gear oil change).
Im looking to do more to it like lightened flywheel, 270 cams, reidymap, lower it a bit, and ss mani's.
What I'm after is a bit of input from those who have done it.... so... Do you think I should keep this one do the mods then look for a lower milage engine and do it that way or just go for a lower milage 180.. not mk2 though just not feeling it.
I can safely say I have well and truly been bitten by the thing.. my wallet has left me and I expect the to missis might threaten it as well haha.

Jay-ZS+
19-09-10, 09:02 AM
If looked after the KV6 will be strong well over 200,000, You've done the large service, keep looking after it and put the money you'd save towards other mods :thumbsup:

talkingcars
19-09-10, 09:16 AM
If looked after the KV6 will be strong well over 200,000, You've done the large service, keep looking after it and put the money you'd save towards other mods :thumbsup:

Seconded.

Besides if the engine dies you can pick up a replacment for ?500, cheaper than replacing the whole car and I'm sure the G/F wouldn't object as much as you'd need to keep the car going............

lawrence-zs180
19-09-10, 10:04 AM
lol good plan dudes..ss mani's next then.

Jay-ZS+
19-09-10, 10:21 AM
Personally Id go for the flywheel first. :)

lawrence-zs180
19-09-10, 10:34 AM
really? whys that.. not questions just curious..
would not be a bad idea since the clutch was done in 07 at 50k.

Jay-ZS+
19-09-10, 10:39 AM
Well ive not had a zed with manis, yet :devil: but the lightweight fly makes a big difference in acceleration

lawrence-zs180
19-09-10, 10:48 AM
ah cool, think im going to save the re map till everything is on then it should hopefully tie everything together.. but the cams and re map will be almost at the same time I think.

stamford
19-09-10, 06:29 PM
If your current car and engine is in tip-top conditon and well serviced there is no need to drop to a low mileage model, you could be buying something far worse! As already said a well looked after version can go on forever. For the cost of manifolds these days I would leave this until much later as the gains are minimal but better torque.

lawrence-zs180
19-09-10, 06:51 PM
Ok cheers for the info guys.. just need to know where to get the parts for when the time comes.. obv the cams and remap are easy but what are my options for the other parts?

Dave ZS-X
19-09-10, 06:57 PM
the first zs ever to duck into the 13's at santa pod had 130 k on the clock.

Jay-ZS+
19-09-10, 07:00 PM
Ok cheers for the info guys.. just need to know where to get the parts for when the time comes.. obv the cams and remap are easy but what are my options for the other parts?

Lightweight fly (http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=47248&highlight=lightweight+flywheel)

Be worth putting a diff in the gearbox whilst its off, just had Dave help fit one in mine :clap:

lawrence-zs180
19-09-10, 07:04 PM
Really?! Thats mad.. any idea what it was putting out.. not that im looking to do that.. its still gotta do work and festival runs

lawrence-zs180
19-09-10, 07:09 PM
Where would i get the diff and steel cage bearings?

Jay-ZS+
19-09-10, 07:19 PM
I got my diff from BS MOTORS LTD, witton, birmingham they have a ebay store http://stores.ebay.co.uk/bsvehicleparts
Although I just rang them and had it the next day 0121 328 5222

As for bearings there are a few sets on ebay, I was lucky and got a real steal but pop up time to time. There is also a guy on rovertech I believe. The 6208 bearings are the diff ones.

lawrence-zs180
19-09-10, 07:35 PM
Fantastic, cheers jay.. so its gonna be new clutch, flywheel and diff.. best start saving

Jay-ZS+
19-09-10, 07:43 PM
Assume you have the basic breather mods already. The fly doesnt add numbers but driveability is where it really counts

lawrence-zs180
19-09-10, 07:50 PM
Yea she has the in wing set up de cat and ss system

lawrence-zs180
20-09-10, 10:07 AM
right im looking at the bearings... but im coming up with several diff types
there all coming out at 40x80x18mm but there are diff letters after the 6208.. im seeing ZZ, 2RS, and SKF which are open bearings.
Which one do I need to order??? Seen a set from moto build but as usual they want the earth and my dad has old contacts in that area so I might be able to get a deal... which could benefit all of us.

stamford
20-09-10, 10:39 AM
The suffixes seen on a bearing code relate to the shield type, RS being rubber seal, ZZ being shield. As for the right one, probably 2RS, Jay should know this from the SKF ones sent.

RS seal on one face.
2RS both faces.
Z on one face.
ZZ on both faces.

lawrence-zs180
20-09-10, 10:54 AM
ahhh thats good to know cheers, just pricing up the flywheel, diff, clutch and bearings so I can see what I have to save.