PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

fastmike
20-09-10, 07:35 PM
I have a Jeep 4.0 petrol Grand Cherokee and although I love the thing the running costs are getting rediculose... NOW... I,ve been looking @ LPG kits.... has anyone experience of them and if so What can I expect as regards fuel mileage compared
to petrol ? ( Actual MPG ...... not cost per litre / gallon etc)
I have my eye on a complete installation , already fitted to a Jeep that I can remove and fit to mine @ a good price too :hmmm:

stamford
20-09-10, 07:37 PM
I knew someone who had a later Cherokee with the V8 and he had his converted to LPG, he swore by it. Cheaper to run once you get past the break even point. All's good if you can afford to lose some boot space.

fastmike
20-09-10, 08:07 PM
The tank goes underneath..... along with a smaller petrol tank I,m told

Funkypunky
20-09-10, 08:13 PM
i have one on my mk2 zs

fastmike
20-09-10, 08:15 PM
any good Funky ? and was the mileage comparable ?

Funkypunky
20-09-10, 08:21 PM
yeah not bad i can do about 250 - 350 miles for about 25 pounds mines only a small tank my dad has one on his kia 3.5l and it costs him around 40 pounds to fill and he gets lots more miles for that

fastmike
20-09-10, 08:29 PM
Worth the hassle of removing it and fitting it on mine then

Funkypunky
20-09-10, 08:31 PM
yeah for sure it will pay for itself in the long run

Dan1971
21-09-10, 08:14 AM
Surely it depends on the miles you do in the Jeep.....:detective:

fastmike
21-09-10, 08:20 AM
Yep Dan......BUT...... The LPG kit is the sequential injection type so newer and of higher tech than the older single point design, so fitting it will add value to the Jeep should I ever wish to sell it.....and the cost to me ( I can remove it and fit it to mine myself) is a paltry ?200...... IF I get the same MPG on gas as on petrol it will save me around ?50 a month ..... ( I think) lol

Dan1971
21-09-10, 09:26 AM
Yep Dan......BUT...... The LPG kit is the sequential injection type so newer and of higher tech than the older single point design, so fitting it will add value to the Jeep should I ever wish to sell it.....and the cost to me ( I can remove it and fit it to mine myself) is a paltry ?200...... IF I get the same MPG on gas as on petrol it will save me around ?50 a month ..... ( I think) lol

Fair enough then mate. I don't think you get the same mpg. IIRC someone getting , say , 25 mpg - will get around 20 using LPG. No meaningful drop in performance though - nothing a normal driver could see anyway.

Marky Mark
21-09-10, 10:43 AM
yeah not bad i can do about 250 - 350 miles for about 25 pounds mines only a small tank my dad has one on his kia 3.5l and it costs him around 40 pounds to fill and he gets lots more miles for that

Can you switch between gas and petrol? Also what sort of price did you pay for the conversion for the zs, and do you loose much in performance? :smile1:

Funkypunky
21-09-10, 07:05 PM
yeah the car starts on petrol then switches itself over to gas, when you run out of gas it just switches itself back to petrol, there is a button you can press to swap over yourself. as for the cost it was already on my car when i brought it but when my dad had it fitted to his motor think it cost around ?1600 i think not to sure. i have droven both cars and you dont lose any performance at all its drives the same but cheaper