PDA

View Full Version : stick on front number plates.. legal???

lawrence-zs180
28-09-10, 06:57 PM
I saw a alfa 156 today with a stick on front number plate and it got me thinking again about fitting a stick on front number plate but I cant seem to work out if there legal or not and where I would get one done.. ideas guys???

daytona365
28-09-10, 07:12 PM
Stuck on where? There is a legal position for plates front and back in this country, unfortunatley...............Its so the cameras can see em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lawrence-zs180
28-09-10, 07:29 PM
lol I know that.. was thinking of removing the front one that over hangs the grill then sticking the other one just a bit further up.. its a idea I have but im not gonna say anything till its worth really looking into it haha.

Leigh_EvoIX
28-09-10, 07:32 PM
stick on as opposed to screw fitment??? Of course they are legal...

lawrence-zs180
28-09-10, 07:39 PM
thats cool.. just wanted to know, the police are a bit hot on the a24 and I would be pi55ed if I got a ticket just for not asking lol

S7000EY
28-09-10, 07:41 PM
do you mean a normal plate stick on or the plates that are a sticker?

lawrence-zs180
28-09-10, 07:48 PM
the plates that are a sticker.. you sometimes see them on mx5's I gotta see if its gonna look pants first before I do anything lol

BUCKYDEVIL
28-09-10, 07:59 PM
the plates that are a sticker.. you sometimes see them on mx5's I gotta see if its gonna look pants first before I do anything lol

yip, defo gona look Pants.

lawrence-zs180
28-09-10, 08:04 PM
lol cheers dude

tcr
28-09-10, 08:33 PM
lots of kitcars have them fitted and they have to pass an SVA test before being aloud on the road when first built

Dan1971
28-09-10, 09:13 PM
Not legal - the end.

Ritchy
28-09-10, 09:21 PM
even with the correct reflective background, size spacing ect dan?
personally dont think it would look right on the zs more cars with rounded noses ect instead of ruining the flow of the body

Dan1971
28-09-10, 09:40 PM
Plates such as those displayed on MX5s and on the front of E-Type jags have never been legal.

IIRC - Jaguar tried to have an amendment to the laws enacted as the plates didn't look as good as simply putting taped plates on the front. They were refused but I think it was a case of - we're not going to pass a law allowing it - but we're really not that bothered. They left the factory with their plates showing on their bonnets. Jags bound for the US has a stick out area for the plates as in the US they were strictly not allowed to put the numbers on the bonnet.

I believe the thinking behind it was - If a number is displayed - the "essence" of the law has been complied with rather than simply not displaying one at all.

These "E-Type" style - stick on letters and numbers were never really legal.

This is lifted from an "E-Type" forum -

Actually the DVLA have cleared the E-Type's use of the stick-on plate as "custom & practice". The cars have worn their front plates like that for almost 50 years so there is no reason to insist on change. You may still of course be stopped but being polite and referring the officer to the DVLA should get you on your way. What none of us wants is a test case with the CPS getting on their high horse and pushing the matter, just in case.

Ritchy
28-09-10, 09:58 PM
cheers for the info dan:D good post

lawrence-zs180
28-09-10, 10:52 PM
Fair play on the post.. oh and th car looks pants with it on, just did a mock up and it looks shocking lol wont be doing that then.

stamford
29-09-10, 07:26 AM
Rally cars back in the 70's and 80's used to use bonnet mounted stick on plates, purely because most of the original mounted ones got ripped off during stages. Therefore when driving between stages they often got stopped for not displaying one. Obviously it was not legal then but they never complained as they were at least displaying something. The law was not as hot back then as they are today, this is due to the plate recognition cameras used.

p_b82
29-09-10, 11:08 AM
the other alternate is to use the rover 45 V6 plinth - it sits in the cut out bit on the Zs and then mounts the plate more in line with the bumper.

I am considering it purely to free up a little more airlfow to my front mount intercooler.... tho i suspect the difference would be minimal!