PDA

View Full Version : Sound Proofing

vanishing days
30-09-10, 05:02 PM
hi one thing that has always annoyed me about zs's is the road noise perticulally from the doors has anyone ever tried fitting sound proofing sheets i was thinking of puting it behing the door cards and a layer on the boot would this make any difference?

haGGard
30-09-10, 05:19 PM
I've very recently done my doors and behind my front speakers in 'silent coat' sound proofing. I bought 2 starter packs from car audio direct website which was enough to do both front doors with some left over. To be honest i've not really noticed much of a difference but i only did it as the original stuff was crap!

If your planning on using flashing, then i've read many times that you will need two or 3 layers to get any real difference.

vanishing days
30-09-10, 05:25 PM
ahh ok i was looking at this dynamat stuff but ill give it a miss then

MG ZS STE
30-09-10, 06:33 PM
i stuck 2 layers of flash band on all door skins and the roof, filled the A,B & C pillars with expanding foam. Made a big difference, especially on motorways where i was always conscious of a ringing resonating noise all around me. the missus thought i was going mad but i knew it was there. Stereo even sounds better now.

Give your roof and doors a tap and then tap the neighbors mondeo or vectra and you'l hear the difference. mine sounds like your tapping on plastic now instead of flimsy thin metal.

haGGard
30-09-10, 06:43 PM
If you go the whole hog and do the lot im sure it'll make a nice difference. To be honest i would, but i can't be arsed lol :whistle:

Zippy Saloon
01-10-10, 12:13 AM
Added quite a bit of extra soundproofing to mine and would say adding Dynamat to the doors made the biggest change of all - sounds much better when you close the doors but the main thing was a huge drop in noise at M/way speeds. Originally it was a waste of time having radio above about 60mph.

vanishing days
01-10-10, 07:46 AM
I give the stuff ago then how did you place it on your doors?

haGGard
01-10-10, 10:04 AM
It just sticks. You trim it to the shape you need, and stick it to the door. Its very sticky stuff. Its got like a tin foil layer on top, be careful as some brands can be quite sharp when trimming. Make sure you dont go over important things like the wiring loom and door pull rod etc. Its not too hard, just a bit time consuming.

vanishing days
03-10-10, 10:20 PM
is this stuff any good as its alot cheaper than dynamat
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280377177114&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1373wt_911

Dave MGT
03-10-10, 10:28 PM
Looks good for the price.
I have just ordered some.

vanishing days
04-10-10, 11:02 AM
ill order some to then as it looks good and its cheaper than dynamat

ZS
04-10-10, 01:08 PM
Why weight you car down with unnecessary sound proofing?

petet16
04-10-10, 01:31 PM

Unnecessary is in the ear of the driver:icecream:

Hambo-180
04-10-10, 04:04 PM
Added quite a bit of extra soundproofing to mine and would say adding Dynamat to the doors made the biggest change of all - sounds much better when you close the doors but the main thing was a huge drop in noise at M/way speeds. Originally it was a waste of time having radio above about 60mph.

How much Dynamat did you use in the doors mate? What else did you use and where did you put it to reduce noise?

Dave MGT
04-10-10, 04:09 PM

Sorry, why is it unnecessary?

Smokey
04-10-10, 04:40 PM
Lol, I'm about to ditch my sound proofing!

ZS
04-10-10, 04:53 PM
Sorry, why is it unnecessary?

Tongue in cheek comment! - I don't mind the Noise myself and the extra weight of that dynomat (it is heavy stuff!) would bring down the power to weight ratio (thus slowing you down) - Unecessary as Rover considerd it thus, hence why not already there!!

However it is all down to personal taste, and I'm sure when I hit 50 or so I'll want a quieter car!! :devil::devil:

Zippy Saloon
04-10-10, 06:47 PM
How much Dynamat did you use in the doors mate? What else did you use and where did you put it to reduce noise?

Piece about 15 x 40 cm in each door - depending on how the side impact bars are fitted may change what shape you use, mine were parallel to ground but some Zeds have them at angles so triangle shapes fit better.
Apparently no need to cover large areas, smallish pieces offset from middle of panel work well.
Dropped headlining and put some on roof panel, rear pillars & wings, boot lid and a little bit added to front wings when I dropped arch liners outs to clean out & rustproof. Even put a bit on petrol flap so it shuts with a nicer noise!
Gave panels a good wipe first with Halfords surface cleaner to ensure it sticks well (guess meths or similar would do)
Added some foam under parcel shelf and under some bits of the carpet, sealed under door mirrors and tweeters with draught proofing tape.
And I found with window rubbers the seals either touched outside of glass or inside (never both) so modded inner seals so they touch glass - cut down on a little bit of wind noise.
As I say though the big improvement was the doors, theres quite a big thread on soundproofing on XPF

Zippy Saloon
04-10-10, 06:50 PM
Tongue in cheek comment! - I don't mind the Noise myself and the extra weight of that dynomat (it is heavy stuff!) would bring down the power to weight ratio (thus slowing you down) - Unecessary as Rover considerd it thus, hence why not already there!!

However it is all down to personal taste, and I'm sure when I hit 50 or so I'll want a quieter car!! :devil::devil:

I think MGR removed purely on cost saving grounds, tbh if you added an amp and bigger speakers it would weight more than one pack of dynamat.

vanishing days
04-10-10, 08:06 PM
I'm not 50 I'm 24 I could lose weight myself to compensate lol

ZS
05-10-10, 06:47 AM
I'm not 50 I'm 24 I could lose weight myself to compensate lol

I'm 28... the biggest weight saving for me is leaving the kids and their seats at home :p lol - And I do notice a difference then!

Actually I do agree that the boot lid would benifet from something... but for asthetic reasons :)

Hambo-180
05-10-10, 11:05 AM
Piece about 15 x 40 cm in each door - depending on how the side impact bars are fitted may change what shape you use, mine were parallel to ground but some Zeds have them at angles so triangle shapes fit better.
Apparently no need to cover large areas, smallish pieces offset from middle of panel work well.
Dropped headlining and put some on roof panel, rear pillars & wings, boot lid and a little bit added to front wings when I dropped arch liners outs to clean out & rustproof. Even put a bit on petrol flap so it shuts with a nicer noise!
Gave panels a good wipe first with Halfords surface cleaner to ensure it sticks well (guess meths or similar would do)
Added some foam under parcel shelf and under some bits of the carpet, sealed under door mirrors and tweeters with draught proofing tape.
And I found with window rubbers the seals either touched outside of glass or inside (never both) so modded inner seals so they touch glass - cut down on a little bit of wind noise.
As I say though the big improvement was the doors, theres quite a big thread on soundproofing on XPF

sounds like you've spent some time and money making the Zed nice and quiet! You've got me thinking now!!! lol!
Did you do anything with the floor?

vanishing days
05-10-10, 11:06 AM
i just want it to quieten the dual exhaust on my zs a bit
apparently it belonged to dave mgt before and then george fitted it to my zs no anything about this dave?

Zippy Saloon
05-10-10, 02:19 PM
sounds like you've spent some time and money making the Zed nice and quiet! You've got me thinking now!!! lol!
Did you do anything with the floor?
Just somewhere by gearlever theres a large rubber bung - all thats between you and the road, stuck a bit of dynamat over that. You can get to it just by removing gearlever surround.
Rest of carpet had some sort of foam moulded to it so didn't bother with it, later cars just seem to have thinner carpet altogether.
Added the soundproofing panels that fit below dash / above feet out of a scrappy 400 - seems to help a little too.
Probably the real waste of time spaces were the rear parcel shelf and boot lid, don't think they made any difference tbh
What did help with a lot of the plasticky creaking was when I had centre console out once I ran round the joins on the back of it with a glue gun the black part is stuck / clipped to grey part.

Hambo-180
06-10-10, 12:58 PM
Just somewhere by gearlever theres a large rubber bung - all thats between you and the road, stuck a bit of dynamat over that. You can get to it just by removing gearlever surround.
Rest of carpet had some sort of foam moulded to it so didn't bother with it, later cars just seem to have thinner carpet altogether.
Added the soundproofing panels that fit below dash / above feet out of a scrappy 400 - seems to help a little too.
Probably the real waste of time spaces were the rear parcel shelf and boot lid, don't think they made any difference tbh
What did help with a lot of the plasticky creaking was when I had centre console out once I ran round the joins on the back of it with a glue gun the black part is stuck / clipped to grey part.

thanks for all that mate you've giving me food for thought!!!
was it tricky to drop the roof linning?

Zippy Saloon
06-10-10, 02:36 PM
thanks for all that mate you've giving me food for thought!!!
was it tricky to drop the roof linning?
Not bad as you dont have to remove it - just take out headrests and rest it on seats. Worst bit was undoing the trim over the seatbelt mounts in B post so you can remove the pillar trim. Only added dynamat type stuff there myself but it could be worth popping some kind of fibrous wadding stuff too (not sure of its name - looks a bit like loft insulation)
If you have a sunroof its possibly not worth doing the roof as 3/4 of it is hidden with the sunroof cassette

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x88/Gary_6315/ZSroof.jpg

Hambo-180
10-10-10, 09:17 AM
dont know if i'm brave enough the drop the headlinning but i'm have a look, my Zed has a sunroof so it might be a bit tricky!
When you put the Dynamat on the doors was it on the inner or outer skin?

Jay-ZS+
10-10-10, 09:52 AM
I did both :)

Zippy Saloon
10-10-10, 08:02 PM
I did both :)
I just did the outer skin but doing both could be worthwhile.

Hambo-180
10-10-10, 08:17 PM
I just did the outer skin but doing both could be worthwhile.

i did the outer skin today on both front doors, it certanly made a difference when i turn the music up its stopped the door vibrating! Gonna look at the roof later in the week.....