PDA

View Full Version : could this be the one??

john180
05-10-07, 01:30 PM
Well guys i keep posting these cars up but could this be the one im looking for??? Black was first choice along wiht blue being very close. :D

Its got all the 180 extra but its a 120 so i can cope with insurance :D

Its a little pricey tho as its done 52k -would that put you off??????:hmmm:

I'm off to see it tomorrow.... :bounce:

John

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=5&hassearched=Y&make=MG&min_pr=75&source=0&model=ZS&max_pr=&miles=100&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=yo17+7ju&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=2&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=50&ukcarsearch_full.y=12&start=2&distance=68&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200740295901885

Boot Hill Bandit
05-10-07, 02:16 PM
Don't be silly........mileage doesn't count for much these days......as long as she has been cared for thats all that matters.

Put it like this........if you only keep her two years........what does it matter if its done 50k or 100k? Not much. If like me you want to keep her forever and ever until she costs too much to keep going.......then maybe you'd be better off buying a low miler......but I see 50k as fairly low to be honest.

Thats a gorgeous car dude........very very very sexy in Black........a pain in the arse to keep clean........but sexy all the same.

Follow your heart dude and you will be happy......throw away your brain........if you use your brain you will end up with a VW Passat......

Good Luck dude

Smitten Jim

john180
05-10-07, 02:20 PM
Don't be silly........mileage doesn't count for much these days......as long as she has been cared for thats all that matters.

Put it like this........if you only keep her two years........what does it matter if its done 50k or 100k? Not much. If like me you want to keep her forever and ever until she costs too much to keep going.......then maybe you'd be better off buying a low miler......but I see 50k as fairly low to be honest.

Thats a gorgeous car dude........very very very sexy in Black........a pain in the arse to keep clean........but sexy all the same.

Follow your heart dude and you will be happy......throw away your brain........if you use your brain you will end up with a VW Passat......

Good Luck dude

Smitten Jim

Well i see myself keeping a ZS a long time as the only upgrade would either be a V6 ZS or well - i dunno what else lol!

I think if its got full service history and it drives well etc etc i think its a good car. IT has the Climate control AND a sunroof!!!!! :yikes::clap:

I think if i can get it for nearer 5k its a good buy???:hmmm:

Cheers for the reply matey and yeah dont want a passat NO brain NO!! haha :D

Boot Hill Bandit
05-10-07, 02:31 PM
Well to me it sounds like you should buy it if you like it.

Good idea to try and knock down the price......but if like me you turn up and fall in love with her even before you've driven her then you're kinda not going to worry about a few hundred extra quid :D

My ZS180 has air con and a sunroof :)

Smitten Jim

john180
05-10-07, 02:33 PM
Well to me it sounds like you should buy it if you like it.

Good idea to try and knock down the price......but if like me you turn up and fall in love with her even before you've driven her then you're kinda not going to worry about a few hundred extra quid :D

My ZS180 has air con and a sunroof :)

Smitten Jim

i know thats what im like and the colour i most wanted to!!! I'm in luv i must say!

Thats my other worry - ive never driven a zs so i might be disappionted. Ive only driven a zr.

Boot Hill Bandit
05-10-07, 02:38 PM
Can you take a fellow ZS owner along with you so they can have a poke about?

Generally speaking a lot of people say the ZS120 is a better handling car over the ZS180......all you got to remember is that the ZS is a fantastic handling car.......if for whatever reason it doesn't feel that way then its worth looking at more thoroughly.

Get the car checked to see if its been crash damaged online and that costs about £40+ iirc.....also worth doing if you worry about what accidents if any it has been involved in.

Smitten Jim

john180
05-10-07, 02:43 PM
Can you take a fellow ZS owner along with you so they can have a poke about?

Generally speaking a lot of people say the ZS120 is a better handling car over the ZS180......all you got to remember is that the ZS is a fantastic handling car.......if for whatever reason it doesn't feel that way then its worth looking at more thoroughly.

Get the car checked to see if its been crash damaged online and that costs about £40+ iirc.....also worth doing if you worry about what accidents if any it has been involved in.

Smitten Jim

I'd luv to but only people i know are on here and i dont really know them. My dad is a mechanic so he knows his stuff and told me roughly what to look for.
I will prob get it checked over online coz i can get that done thru my dad too where he works with one of the sales guys.

arwilson80
05-10-07, 02:44 PM
Thats my other worry - ive never driven a zs so i might be disappionted. Ive only driven a zr.

At first maybe, but when you get the feel of it, it can do all the ZR can (if not a lot more).

Now that i've got the feel of my car i push it harder than i ever dared with the ZR and it's not scared me once (yet).

john180
05-10-07, 02:46 PM
At first maybe, but when you get the feel of it, it can do all the ZR can (if not a lot more).

Now that i've got the feel of my car i push it harder than i ever dared with the ZR and it's not scared me once (yet).

ooooh! that sounds promising then, the zr did feel abit tinny if pushed too far lol. I imagined the zs to have bit more "quality" feel to it...

michaelb
05-10-07, 05:42 PM
go for it m8.

i've just bought a 120 hatch with all the 180 kit fitted, climate and leather/alcantara interior......and i've not been disapointed so far.

i wanted a mk2 180 but couldn't find one at the right price so i compromised with the 120. it's a good thing too as i'm changing my job which means more miles......the 120 is quite good on fuel.

you may struggle to get him down on price as any mk2 ZS that i've seen aren't staying on the forecourt for long especially the highly specced ones.

you won't be disapointed in comparison with the ZR.....good as it is the ZS is a far far superior car. better built, rides better and handles better.

black is the best colour too!!!

stamford
05-10-07, 05:50 PM
All looks good except for the miles on it. Now, if that doesn't bother you and you intend to keep it a number of years, then that may work in your favour. Others may baulk at the mileage and not progress any further. Does the price reflect this? Is it a price you are willing to pay for that car? The choice is purely yours and yours alone, we can't tell you what to do. Out of interest, what warranty has been offered? It needs to be good if the garage has any faith in what it is offering the consumer.

Something tells me you already want the ZS and may well meet the asking price, but make sure you haggle things in, 12 months tax, a full service, free MOT when it is due, full tank of fuel, mats!

john180
06-10-07, 05:19 PM
rite guys!! more help and opinions please!

I turned up today and the guy gave me the keys. I said this is the 1.8 and he said no its a 2.0ltr. I said so its a derv, he said no its a petrol. Apparently it was a german speced car and was imported over here. I said it cant be so he hpi'ed it while i was there and that said it was 1976cc I have included a pic of the HPI.

I rang the insrance and they cudnt find the car in their database even when i gave them the reg number so i had to ask the guy to fax the log book over to my insurer so they could do a quote but it would be tomorrow before they could help me. It did say 1976cc on the log book too.

Is this true that you could get a 2ltr petrol in germany and have it imported? The steering wheel is on the right by the way. If so it seems to be a very rare car.

A rear bumper bracket has cracked so it appears lose at the back at one side - would this be fixable or a new bumper???

One of the side skirts has also slightly come away but seems tight - are they just a crap fit???

also i pulled the petrol thing in the car and the smal petrol door wudnt open....

ANy comments guys????

HPI Below :)

http://johnhodgson.co.uk/hpi.JPG

stamford
06-10-07, 05:28 PM
I would do some more homework on that, not heard of a 2 litre version in the ZS. The only 2 litre engines I have known of have been the KV6 ones as used in some 45's and 75's.

Insurance will be the sticking here. It must be a 1.8 and possibly a typo.

john180
06-10-07, 05:30 PM
there was a sticker on the door pillar that said 1.8 K and if you look at the engine number it also says 18K at the beginning - how could this be changed on the log book?

also can i find out if that engine is in fact a 1.8 from any where???

stamford
06-10-07, 05:33 PM
The engine number on the logbook will tell you what this is, also double check this with the one fitted. I'll root around for the info, it's on here somewhere!

michaelb
06-10-07, 05:34 PM
maybe a typing error as the 120 is 1796 and the log book on that one says 1976....the 7 and 9 are the wrong way about.

can't be a 2.0l petrol as rover didn't have one apart from the derv....unless it was a 2.0 kv6.....which was never fitted to the ZS.

stamford
06-10-07, 05:36 PM
maybe a typing error as the 120 is 1796 and the log book on that one says 1976....the 7 and 9 are the wrong way about.

can't be a 2.0l petrol as rover didn't have one apart from the derv....unless it was a 2.0 kv6.....which was never fitted to the ZS.

I reckon you've hit the nail on the head there................just need the garage and the DVLA to tie this up.

john180
06-10-07, 05:37 PM
the engine did look like a standard k series. can the numbers be changed to be correct?

stamford
06-10-07, 05:41 PM
Like I said, the DVLA and the garage need to tie this up.

john180
06-10-07, 05:43 PM
ok cool, its just getting them to believe me then. i wonder if this german bull crap has been made up....

I wonder why the date of registration id in 2007???

stamford
06-10-07, 05:55 PM
DVLA need to clarify what this car actually is, the engine code is indeed a 1.8 K series engine and the desciption is a 120, that ties up. The dates do seem odd, made in 2005 and registered in 2007, what details are on the service book, like service history and stamps, are they all German? If so, then it may have been registered in Germany, but a rhd model, owned by a UK citizen working in Germany, then re-registered in the UK once it was brought back into the UK, hence the date of registration.

john180
06-10-07, 05:59 PM
DVLA need to clarify what this car actually is, the engine code is indeed a 1.8 K series engine and the desciption is a 120, that ties up. The dates do seem odd, made in 2005 and registered in 2007, what details are on the service book, like service history and stamps, are they all German? If so, then it may have been registered in Germany, but a rhd model, owned by a UK citizen working in Germany, then re-registered in the UK once it was brought back into the UK, hence the date of registration.

that was my only explanation for the registration date. I naver saw the service history but he said it was full.

I'll have to call the garage tomorrow and get them to call the dvla and get it sorted or there wont be a sale.

Boot Hill Bandit
06-10-07, 06:00 PM
If in any doubt bud just walk away.........there are plenty of ZS' to chose from.......and a lot less hassle to sort too.

Smitten Jim

john180
06-10-07, 06:01 PM
If in any doubt bud just walk away.........there are plenty of ZS' to chose from.......and a lot less hassle to sort too.

Smitten Jim

not in that colour or spec tho :(

stamford
06-10-07, 06:03 PM
Just get the information clarified and take it from there.

RalphG
06-10-07, 06:05 PM
According to EPC this is a 4 door saloon 1800 RHD car.

The date of registration is likely to be the date that car was registered after being imported from Germany. It would habe been given an age related number plate as the date of manufacture could be proved.

Boot Hill Bandit
06-10-07, 06:06 PM
Then you know what lyes ahead in terms of paperwork and it sounds like you have fallen in love with the car.........be carefull its not a lemon its easily done.

Good luck dude, hopefully the garage will help out and correct the paperwork knowing you will buy it if they sort it.

Smitten Jim

john180
06-10-07, 06:06 PM
According to EPC this is a 4 door saloon 1800 RHD car.

The date of registration is likely to be the date that car was registered after being imported from Germany. It would habe been given an age related number plate as the date of manufacture could be proved.

Thanks Mate can i get a print off of this from our local MGR dealer???

I need to set them straight before i carry on any further.

KevG
06-10-07, 06:16 PM
And it looks like it is still under finance

Agreement date: 30/03/05
Term: 48 Months (4 years)

Boot Hill Bandit
06-10-07, 06:19 PM
RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! QUICKLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smitten Jim

georgiansoccer
06-10-07, 06:19 PM
yeah it has to be a mistake on the document. If thats sorted out then it should be ok.

What extras does it have?

john180
06-10-07, 06:21 PM
yeah it has to be a mistake on the document. If thats sorted out then it should be ok.

What extras does it have?

its got everything a 180 has except fogs.

Craig
sounds like theres too much against it IMO, just keep looking, one will come up

john180
And it looks like it is still under finance

Agreement date: 30/03/05
Term: 48 Months (4 years)

would this say if it had been paid off???

Craig
06-10-07, 06:22 PM
would this say if it had been paid off???

there may be a slight delay in the records being updated. I paid off the finance on my old xar and it didnt show on HPI. I had to get a confirmation letter from the finance co. when i sold it

john180
06-10-07, 06:23 PM
sounds like theres too much against it IMO, just keep looking, one will come up

im beggining to think its a no go-er :(

Craig
06-10-07, 06:25 PM
you know you want the red mk2 at the bottom John

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=none&sort=&hassearched=Y&make=MG&min_pr=4000&source=0&model=ZS&max_pr=6000&miles=40&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=yo177ju&bodyid=0&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&ukcarsearch_full.x=0&ukcarsearch_full.y=0&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

john180
06-10-07, 06:26 PM

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=none&sort=&hassearched=Y&make=MG&min_pr=4000&source=0&model=ZS&max_pr=6000&miles=40&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=yo177ju&bodyid=0&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&ukcarsearch_full.x=0&ukcarsearch_full.y=0&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

cant afford a v6 and its a 5dr. i need a 120 4dr with the 180 kit :whistle:

KevG
06-10-07, 06:30 PM
There is a lovely Red Mk2 180 hatch in Otley at Denton Motors

KevG
06-10-07, 06:31 PM

Snap, I just done that too, lol

Craig
06-10-07, 06:32 PM
what about a 110 mate?

www.pistonheads.com/sales/251861.htm

john180
06-10-07, 06:34 PM
what about a 110 mate?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/251861.

nah had a 1.8 b4, dont wanna go backwards. y is everything against me????? some1 slit one of my tyres last night too so i had to get that fioxed b4 i could go see the zs - ssmething trying to tell me i shouldnt buy it???:pirate:

sduk
06-10-07, 06:34 PM
nothing wrong with a 110 :D

stamford
06-10-07, 06:36 PM

Nothing that 900cc couldn't sort out!

john180
06-10-07, 06:36 PM

nah but i mite aswel keep the astra derv - i want 120

KevG
06-10-07, 06:40 PM
what about the "Car people in Wakefield" they have a XPG Mk2 120 only 44 mile from you

Boot Hill Bandit
06-10-07, 06:43 PM
Because John was after either black or yellow mk2.......

Smitten Jim

john180
06-10-07, 06:44 PM
what about the "Car people in Wakefield" they have a XPG Mk2 120 only 44 mile from you
u got a link??? not keen on xpg really tho

RalphG
06-10-07, 06:45 PM
I've sent you a PM with a link to some info about this car... :-D

john180
06-10-07, 07:00 PM
I've sent you a PM with a link to some info about this car... :-D

many thanks matey! :smart:

stamford
06-10-07, 07:00 PM
Oh I see, keep us in suspense why don't ya! :laugh:

john180
06-10-07, 07:05 PM
it basicly says its a 1.8 :p ;)

stamford
06-10-07, 07:13 PM
Right, so whatever system Ralph uses can be help surely with its true identity?

john180
06-10-07, 07:16 PM
yeah im gonna get all this info together and mention the people on this site and demand its not a 2ltr as there is no such engine. i will also get them to sort it out with the dvla and provide proof that the finance has been paid off.

Craig
06-10-07, 07:16 PM
hope it all goes smoothly mate, looks like a lovely car

john180
06-10-07, 07:19 PM
hope it all goes smoothly mate, looks like a lovely car

it is!!! it looked spot on apart from the couple of things i mentioned earlier

KevG
06-10-07, 07:43 PM
The only 2.0 engine that was fitted in the MGZS was the MG S'n'R Judd engine for race only

KevG
06-10-07, 07:44 PM
Also it says in my logbook that my car is hatch and in my finance it says it is a 120+!!!!

john180
06-10-07, 07:44 PM
The only 2.0 engine that was fitted in the MGZS was the MG S'n'R Judd engine for race only

lol it wont be that then:-D

Craig
06-10-07, 07:45 PM
Also it says in my logbook that my car is hatch and in my finance it says it is a 120+!!!!

cut n shut? :boxing:

john180
06-10-07, 07:48 PM

pmsl - they really paid attention to details didnt they??

lukiep160
06-10-07, 08:32 PM
John i've just done a quick look at that hpi sheet, its a 1.8, if you look at the engine no it starts 18K that means its a 1.8, this isn't the first time i've seen cars registered wrong by dvla

lukiep160
06-10-07, 08:35 PM
what you really need is a nice black ZR160

ZS180V6
06-10-07, 09:20 PM
If the car is registered incorectly you will need to get MG to confirm exactly what the car is in writing to get the DVLA to change the log book.

Not sure how you would get confirmation as MG are not around ?

john180
07-10-07, 09:31 AM
John i've just done a quick look at that hpi sheet, its a 1.8, if you look at the engine no it starts 18K that means its a 1.8, this isn't the first time i've seen cars registered wrong by dvla

cheers luke!! this was my instinct but i wanted confirmation on that. this looks lik its gonna be a pain to sort out then if i gotta get full written confirmation from rover....

john180
07-10-07, 10:10 AM
quick update for you guys!

Just been onto the dealer about this car. I told them it cant be a 2.0ltr as rover never made a 2.0ltr petrol engine for the zs - he said yeah but its a german spec'ed car - i said yeah but it was still made over here in the uk.

I also told him i had gone numerous MG experts opinions who are in the trade and they looked at the hpi i had done and told me there was no such car and i had an epc print out to back me up that the car is a 1.8.
He said im not being confrontational about it but it is deffo a 2.0ltr engine so i said i that case i dont want to continue any further with the deal.

I'm abit gutted but i'll keep looking :) It just seemed like it was going to be much more hassle than it was worth.

sduk
07-10-07, 11:05 AM
thats a bummer, you could have owned the worlds only 2.0l ZS tho :D

im sure you will find one soon mate and when you do it will be better than that one :)

stamford
07-10-07, 12:06 PM
I feel sorry for the next potentional buyer who will get seen off by the garage and then having issues with insurance.

Boot Hill Bandit
07-10-07, 12:32 PM
You did the right thing in walking away dude.........there is a car out there for you and good things come to those who wait :D

Smitten Jim

john180
07-10-07, 02:29 PM
I feel sorry for the next potentional buyer who will get seen off by the garage and then having issues with insurance.

yeah me 2 matey! its a good thing im kind of in the know and know other people who are too.

Like Jim says - good things come to those who wait.

I am prepared to wait to find the right one at the right price.

Thanks for your help guys!:thankyou:

finchy
07-10-07, 03:52 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-MG-ZS-BLACK_W0QQitemZ220155755000QQihZ012QQcategoryZ1826 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

henocsr
07-10-07, 05:37 PM
Looks like a nice car, and with lots of kit. Go for it, 120 are good fun to drive too. You could always drop a turbo engine in it if you got bored, or of course the V6.

Mileage is not much really, it is only a 2 year old car anyway. Just depends on the prevouis owner.

ZS180V6
07-10-07, 05:43 PM
I like the look of it.

Nice car but wonder what the reserve is set at ?

RalphG
07-10-07, 11:32 PM
If the car salesman can't accept that they have misrepresented the vehicle and work with you to sort the problem out you are best to walk away from it. There are plenty of other cars out there.

If the car truly does have a 2L K4 engine then you are likely to have problems insuring it and will also have to have the engine rebuilt regularly (the Judd 2L engine has a 5,000 mile life between rebuilds, if I remember correctly).

john180
08-10-07, 07:49 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-MG-ZS-BLACK_W0QQitemZ220155755000QQihZ012QQcategoryZ1826 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nah its a hatch - i want a saloon.

If the car salesman can't accept that they have misrepresented the vehicle and work with you to sort the problem out you are best to walk away from it. There are plenty of other cars out there.

If the car truly does have a 2L K4 engine then you are likely to have problems insuring it and will also have to have the engine rebuilt regularly (the Judd 2L engine has a 5,000 mile life between rebuilds, if I remember correctly).

Well it looked just like the 120 engine i had in the zr so i think they had the details all wrong. It had 1.8K written on a sticker on the door pillar too.

RalphG
08-10-07, 08:06 AM
Well as it is a K4, confirmed by your visual inspection and the engine number, then unless it has been professionally enlarged to 2L you should walk away from it. In fact, you should run from it. There would be some indication as to who had tuned the engine if it had been done professionally - for example, Judd changed the rocker cover to one with their name on it.

The more likely situation is that the car is a 1800 and that the salesman that you have been dealing with is a complete and utter plonker who can't admit when he is wrong, or just does not know anything about the cars that he is selling. In which case you should walk away from the car.

The alternative option is to point out to the salesman that since the car is a 2L that your insurance will be much higher (maybe quote some figures, e.g. £1000 for a 1.8 and £2,500 for a 2L) and as such the car is worth less to you. Plus the fact that the 2L has a 5,000 mile service interval instead of 15,000. Use this to negotiate the price down and then sort out the problems with the DVLA and insurance yourself.

john180
08-10-07, 08:22 AM
Yeah, im leaving it. Its not worth the hassle to be honest and another will come up at some point.

That didnt know what they were on about just a dealer selling all sorts of cars. They just wanted a sale.